Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Zippy the Bummer posted:

thanks for posting this, its one of those resources that is amazing and which i never would have thought to look for

Yeah! When Wikipedia failed me by not having any info, I went to the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships for Hornet and then checked the damage claims against Lundstrom’s The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign.

Funny thing is Wikipedia’s US Navy ship articles nearly always cite and crib extensively from DANFS. Similarly, Wikipedia surprisingly nearly always cites the National Register of Historic Places nomination for any US historic site Wiki article. Indeed, the Wiki article on Hornet references DANFS. However, it cribbed from DANFS in 2015 when even DANFS was short on information about the Buin-Faisa-Tonolai raid. The good news is the historians of the Naval History & Heritage Command have been improving the entries in DANFS for years and will continue to. We just can’t expect that their good work will naturally and quickly propagate to Wikipedia.

You can also see Hornet’s action report in NARA’s catalog, https://catalog.archives.gov/id/134024763

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sometimes Wikipedia has oddly thorough articles about completely random ships. Want a detailed history of a sidewheel icebreaker from Philadelphia that served as a gunboat for a few months in 1898? Wikipedia has you covered.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It usually comes down to organized groups that systematically improve articles (Australian historical figures feature often for the same reason). Then there are randos who maintain one artcle rabidly like the one above. Wikipedia is surprisingly dead outside of groups like these.

US centric articles also suffer from having the largest net-going population that will chuck in little tidbits of stuff of spurious or negative value IMO.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Everyone complains about Wikipedia, but no one actually does anything about it.

(So instead of complaining about it, next time...)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Quackles posted:

Nah.

About 15 years ago, as a bored grad student with too much time on his hands, I decided to try to improve wikipedia articles on German history and historical firearms.

I ended up getting into dumb arguments with neckbeards who were insisting that the source they had trumped my source because it was online and in English. And since they were level 8000 wikipedia grand duke super wizards or whatever they won and reverted my edits that were based on things like "established fact" and "published research."

I don't particularly hate wikipedia, it's a useful resource. I've coached students on how to use it as a jumping off point for researching poo poo. I do the same thing myself. But it's very much a platform that privileges the sort of person who frantically googles information to win an online debate.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Read an interesting article a few years ago about a woman who fights an uphill battle to edit SS related articles to remove the white washing and inflated elite status/kill count narrative pushed by chuds. She was very outnumbered

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also, if you speak a foreign language or are good at squinting at what google translate outputs and figuring out what it means, check out non-English wikipedias. A lot of them have much better standards. I can read German so that's the one that I hit up, but I've heard good things about French too. The easiest way to get a feel is to go to a subject you know something about and check the references.

Sometimes - usually people's names - it's as easy as swapping out the en in the address to de or fr or whatever, but it also helps if you know enough to search in the language. Knowing it's going to be Schlacht bei Warschau for Battle of Warsaw, poo poo like that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a button on the website and the app and the mobile website to switch to different language equivalents of same article, you don't need to guess

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

But it's very much a platform that privileges the sort of person who frantically googles information to win an online debate.

If you want to call me out like that, you can just PM me.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's a button on the website and the app and the mobile website to switch to different language equivalents of same article, you don't need to guess

That button is also an excellent way to find the translation for specific technical terms, especially in this AI-garbage flooded age.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol somehow I've gone all these years never noticing that button.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a whole thing about Wikipedia reportedly having a shrinking number of editors who have become increasingly insular so that it's harder for newer people to get in and make their edits stick.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7x47bb/wikipedia-editors-elite-diversity-foundation

Which wouldn't exactly be as big of a problem if it weren't for the fact that the internet outside of Wikipedia has seemingly shrunk over time as social media sites took over and many independent websites have died off or gotten shunted from most search results.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Wikipedia doesn't even show up in search results anymore unless google can't find anything to sell you

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Quackles posted:

"This site has an issue, so you should dedicate something between 'most of your free time' to 'a full time job' to working on the site for free, and even then that might not be enough to defeat the entrenched boss-level editors" is not really a sensible response. Maybe someone could casually edit back when Wikipedia was new, but for years now you have to fight massively leveled-up editors who's hobby is keeping pages they like how they like them without regard to accuracy, and from what Cyrano4848 and Slothful Cobra are saying it's only gotten worse since I last seriously looked at it. If it was just a matter of writing a decent article and meeting an objective standard for sources I think a pretty good number of people would provide edits, but having to engage in what's essentially a PVP game won by grinding time at Wikipedia against no-lifers who's chosen obsession is editing Wikipedia is a big turn off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Armacham posted:

Wikipedia doesn't even show up in search results anymore unless google can't find anything to sell you

Try some searches in an Incognito window, I'm seeing plenty of wiki results right up at the top.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a whole thing about Wikipedia reportedly having a shrinking number of editors who have become increasingly insular so that it's harder for newer people to get in and make their edits stick.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7x47bb/wikipedia-editors-elite-diversity-foundation

Which wouldn't exactly be as big of a problem if it weren't for the fact that the internet outside of Wikipedia has seemingly shrunk over time as social media sites took over and many independent websites have died off or gotten shunted from most search results.
It has really been quite something how the internet is slowly undergoing collapse. Discord, as a firm, is going to have a very large amount of soft power before long if they don't already as a result.

I assume Jeffrey is behind it, because in the long run people will come pay :10bux: because we will be what is left

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Discord doesn't make money though. It's going to be just like Reddit, which just IPO'd, in ten years. All these companies do is burn through billions in VC funds trying to acquire market share before slowly collapsing. Corporations have successfully killed the internet, we just haven't heard the pulse cease yet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
discord increased revenues 40% year over year this past year, compared to reddit's worst-in-class ad monetization, so don't quite mistake the non-fuckup for the fuckup yet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't wait to go back to reference books.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

discord increased revenues 40% year over year this past year, compared to reddit's worst-in-class ad monetization, so don't quite mistake the non-fuckup for the fuckup yet

Reddit is something like the 3rd most trafficked site on the internet and I think there IPO was only around 8 billion. Compare that to things like Facebook and other similar sites and it's pretty pathetic from a corporate greed standpoint. Now that they are public I expect it to get a lot shittier as they try and squeeze as much blood from the stone as possible.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

"This site has an issue, so you should dedicate something between 'most of your free time' to 'a full time job' to working on the site for free, and even then that might not be enough to defeat the entrenched boss-level editors" is not really a sensible response. Maybe someone could casually edit back when Wikipedia was new, but for years now you have to fight massively leveled-up editors who's hobby is keeping pages they like how they like them without regard to accuracy, and from what Cyrano4848 and Slothful Cobra are saying it's only gotten worse since I last seriously looked at it. If it was just a matter of writing a decent article and meeting an objective standard for sources I think a pretty good number of people would provide edits, but having to engage in what's essentially a PVP game won by grinding time at Wikipedia against no-lifers who's chosen obsession is editing Wikipedia is a big turn off.

well said

it's absolutely pointless to try and edit away false information on wikipedia

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Speaking of books, I've found a copy of Gerhard Ritter's "Sword and Scepter vol 3: The Tragedy of Statesmanship" which covers internal german political shenigans during WWI and it's a super super great read. Go check it out if it's in your local university library. It's big, thick and old, but boy does it go into lots of detail on the splendid government dysfunction in the german imperial state.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Fangz posted:

Speaking of books, I've found a copy of Gerhard Ritter's "Sword and Scepter vol 3: The Tragedy of Statesmanship" which covers internal german political shenigans during WWI and it's a super super great read. Go check it out if it's in your local university library. It's big, thick and old, but boy does it go into lots of detail on the splendid government dysfunction in the german imperial state.

This selection has inspired me to introduce the word “tohubohu” to my vocabulary. Just think how often it will be useful. “No, don’t bring up tank destroyer doctrine,” I’ll say; “you’re going to turn this thread into a tohubohu.”

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
milhist thread: tohubohu

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thatbastardken posted:

milhist thread: tohubohu

pusillanimous tohubohu, surely

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah agreed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I always more into “harem skarem”.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Just gonna leave Sob Sister Bethmann Hollweg out of the thread title??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I always more into “harem skarem”.
This sounds like a racist bugs bunny cartoon set in the Middle East

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nessus posted:

This sounds like a racist bugs bunny cartoon set in the Middle East
It was

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I literally just picked a random other old-fashioned word for “chaotic”, but I’m okay with how this shook out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy poo poo you all have to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOd9OjbepuU

1) it's from 1939 and is an early version of what would become Bugs Bunny squaring off with an equally early proto-Fudd
2) it's completely un-racist. There's just no content there to be offensive, it's a hunter trying to kill a rabbit.
3) it's also a weird moment of history being a flat loving circle, because Fudd's origin story is apparently being furious about the rising cost of meat and screaming that "I'm a taxpayer, they can't do this to me!" The newspaper at the beginning also has the shocking headline of "butchers demand living wage."

So, Elmer Fudd's origin story is basically being a pissed off ugly American consumer stereotype who throws a tantrum at prices going up because other people want a living wage.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy poo poo you all have to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOd9OjbepuU

1) it's from 1939 and is an early version of what would become Bugs Bunny squaring off with an equally early proto-Fudd
2) it's completely un-racist. There's just no content there to be offensive, it's a hunter trying to kill a rabbit.
3) it's also a weird moment of history being a flat loving circle, because Fudd's origin story is apparently being furious about the rising cost of meat and screaming that "I'm a taxpayer, they can't do this to me!" The newspaper at the beginning also has the shocking headline of "butchers demand living wage."

So, Elmer Fudd's origin story is basically being a pissed off ugly American consumer stereotype who throws a tantrum at prices going up because other people want a living wage.

No, that character is apparently unnamed. The first short where Elmer Fudd was officially called that was this one from 1938 (although he'd been in a few shorts before that already), but he looks and sounds and acts pretty different; about all he shares with his final design is being bald:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEgNsTRdsHk

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) it's from 1939...

That was fun to watch, and relevant-to-this-thread note that if it was made 3 years later, he wouldn't be complaining about butcher prices, but about meat rationing since prices were fixed but ration cards were in place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ritter's book just keeps giving.

Austria-Hungarian foreign minister Czernin has a Clever Idea to stop unrestricted submarine warfare from leading to war with the US in 1917:

You can probably guess the end of that "instantly re-" sentence.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fangz posted:

Austria-Hungarian foreign minister Czernin has a Clever Idea to stop unrestricted submarine warfare from leading to war with the US in 1917:

"-surfaced two American passenger liners so they could sink them again?"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Based on my knowledge of German institutions, they instantly refused.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"-sponded no" was my guess, but "-fused" is more succinct.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rejected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
-volted?

-tched?

-gretted allying with them?

-alised that this man is a donkey?

-tarded mentally by being connected to him?