Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
They’ll take one of his properties, find more stolen documents and put the documents trial back to after the election due to all the new evidence.

Keep doing that until January and trump is home free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm expecting a Blues Brothers situation, but with more Nazis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SpeakSlow posted:

I'm expecting a Blues Brothers situation, but with more Nazis.

I'm surprised there isn't a posse already set up to defend the place like how the Bundy's did with their farm.
Instead of Tarp Ghost and cowboy snipers it would be Proud Boys and those parents of kids who no longer talk to them as they spent their life savings going to all Trump conventions in an RV.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Or at least a blockade of freedom truckers to seal off the streets and prevent the DA and her goons in their powder-blue UN helmets from accessing the building.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

happyhippy posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a posse already set up to defend the place like how the Bundy's did with their farm.
Instead of Tarp Ghost and cowboy snipers it would be Proud Boys and those parents of kids who no longer talk to them as they spent their life savings going to all Trump conventions in an RV.
The post-J6 federal crackdown on Proud Boys and Three Percenters and etcetera really did a number on those groups' willingness to march and fight in the street for their god-emperor. Over 1000 arrests, over 500 convictions, people are still being picked up even after three years, most of the leadership of those groups is in prison, and the remaining people are terrified that the person next to them is a confidential FBI informant.

They didn't show up for any of Trump's various arraignments, they're not going to show up for this either - nor will they show up for a second attempt at a J6 coup. There's a lot of criticisms to be lodged against AG Garland and the scope and speed of his anti-Trump investigations, but the concentrated efforts to break the J6 dipshits has been extremely successful, and hooray for that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Super-ignorant question: what happens if the court seizes a property and auctions it and it brings in less than the amount of the encumbering loan? Does the bank get the full proceeds of the auction and get told to go bother Trump for the balance of the loan, and the court moves on to the next property with $0 recorded in the 'amount seized so far' column?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Does the bank get the full proceeds of the auction and get told to go bother Trump for the balance of the loan, and the court moves on to the next property with $0 recorded in the 'amount seized so far' column?

Correct. The civil judgement is last in line for recovery.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Murgos posted:

Isn’t the judge considering a motion to postpone because the feds were slow to provide discovery?

Marchant could deny it, probably reasonably, but that seems like a problem for the inevitable appeal that you can just avoid.

Note: Trump's side said that the Fed's were sloe to provide discovery.
Thr Fed's said that they offered this Discovery in November, but only got taken up on the offer in March, and they are consenting to a 1 month adjournment as a courtesy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FMguru posted:

The post-J6 federal crackdown on Proud Boys and Three Percenters and etcetera really did a number on those groups' willingness to march and fight in the street for their god-emperor. Over 1000 arrests, over 500 convictions, people are still being picked up even after three years, most of the leadership of those groups is in prison, and the remaining people are terrified that the person next to them is a confidential FBI informant.

They didn't show up for any of Trump's various arraignments, they're not going to show up for this either - nor will they show up for a second attempt at a J6 coup. There's a lot of criticisms to be lodged against AG Garland and the scope and speed of his anti-Trump investigations, but the concentrated efforts to break the J6 dipshits has been extremely successful, and hooray for that.

I think it also shows just how small the movement is. It's not a "silent majority," or even a large minority. It's a few ten thousand people at most, and as soon as they're called on their bluff by even a tepid response, they fold. It really is a case study on how fascists rely on fear and apathy to win.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://payupdonald.com/

8 Hours, 10 Minutes left

I really hope I wake up to The Mattering.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Note: Trump's side said that the Fed's were sloe to provide discovery.
Thr Fed's said that they offered this Discovery in November, but only got taken up on the offer in March, and they are consenting to a 1 month adjournment as a courtesy.

This is confusing? It’s not a Fed trial.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772252059087057075?s=20
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772256797409034745?s=20

Looks like he delays everything, including entering the courtroom.

Pic since I don't know how to inline Twitter.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 25, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a real power move, now the court is intimidated and open to giving him a better deal

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

These are documents provided by the Feds, for this state matter. Feds were involved, IIRC, because the issue allegedly involved the illegal use of campaign funds.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

It's a real power move, now the court is intimidated and open to giving him a better deal

Tie red as fresh blood, wide as half his chest and hanging down to his knees.

Alpha Twat

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

BDawg posted:

https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772252059087057075?s=20
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772256797409034745?s=20

Looks like he delays everything, including entering the courtroom.

Pic since I don't know how to inline Twitter.

Is this in relation to the half billion bond case, or is this a different case?

"Your honor, I couldn't post bond today because I was in a different court case."

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Donkringel posted:

Is this in relation to the half billion bond case, or is this a different case?

"Your honor, I couldn't post bond today because I was in a different court case."

Criminal hush money case.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there a convenient way to follow that thread now that I deleted my Twitter account?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Comstar posted:

https://payupdonald.com/

8 Hours, 10 Minutes left

I really hope I wake up to The Mattering.

this is wildly off, he has about 45 minutes now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Randalor posted:

Is there a convenient way to follow that thread now that I deleted my Twitter account?

I wish. I’m following in the NYTimes app which is vaguely tolerable, but I can’t post any of it with sufficient ease that I’m willing to.

Seems to be going very badly for Todd Blanche. The judge is overtly chastising him for making sweeping accusations with no substantiation, and pointing out how Blanche knew this was normal as he used to be a DA.

I don’t think Trump’s getting a delay.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

quote:

Appeals court delays and cuts Trump's civil fraud judgment

From CNN's Kara Scannell

A New York appeals court has given Donald Trump 10 additional days to post his bond to satisfy the civil fraud judgement and cut the amount necessary to $175 million.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-bond-deadline-trials-03-25-24/index.html

Laws and judgement's are for little people.

gently caress the justice system.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
We've been robbed.

Don Poorleone squeaks by again.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 25, 2024

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Ah well, nevertheless

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Haha there's that "mattering" some delusional folks were waiting for

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Independence posted:

Lmao

The rich and poor alike are forbidden to be faced with such a high bond!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can we have one loving thing? This man has loving divine protection despite being the devil incarnate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Independence posted:

Does that mean he can pay 175 to secure a 464 bond, while on appeal. (Which we know he'll lose)

Or, the fine has been cut completely to 175?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Charlz Guybon posted:

Does that mean he can pay 175 to secure a 464 bond, while on appeal. (Which we know he'll lose)

Or, the fine has been cut completely to 175?

My read is just that the bond amount has been cut for the appeal. He's still on the hook for the full judgement.

Edit: vv that's my read, yes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

My read is just that the bond amount has been cut.
So, the bond is 175, but if he loses the appeal, he is still on hock for 464?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The court order also says he can still run a business and obtain loans in NY for the moment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What motivation could the court possibly have to do that? Like, what is the reasoning here?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Well, that's still not good, but much less terrible than I initially feared.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't see the opinion up on the court website yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't see the opinion up on the court website yet.

Is it this? https://eddsa.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/public/2024_01134_PEOPLE_OF_THE_STATE_OF_v_PEOPLE_OF_THE_STATE_OF_ORDER_21.pdf

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

What motivation could the court possibly have to do that? Like, what is the reasoning here?

Basically stating that the full bond is unfairly high. Agreeing with the Trump team's filing as such.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

the us criminal justice system is built from the ground up to stall punishing rich people while giving them numerous off ramps to avoid punishment

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That order doesn’t even have a rationale, it just pulls a number out of a hat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Can james file to contest that or is NY one of those states where the court of appeals is actually the Supreme court

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is the bulk of the order that CNN linked to:

quote:

It is ordered that the motion is granted to the extent of staying enforcement of those portions of the Judgment (1) ordering disgorgement to the Attorney General of $464,576,230.62, conditioned on defendants-appellants posting, within ten (10) days of the date of this order, an undertaking in the amount of $175 million dollars; (2) permanently barring defendants Weisselberg and McConney from serving in the financial control function of any New York corporation or similar business entity; (3) barring defendants Donald J. Trump, Weisselberg and McConney from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation for three years; (4) barring defendant Donald J. Trump and the corporate defendants from applying for loans from New York financial institutions for three years; and (5) barring defendants Donald Trump, Jr. and Eric Trump from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation in New York for two years. The aforesaid stay is conditioned on defendants-appellants perfecting the appeals for the September 2024 Term of this Court. The motion is otherwise denied, including to the extent it seeks a stay of enforcement of portions of the judgment (1) extending and enhancing the role of the Monitor and (2) directing the installation of an Independent Director of Compliance.

-Trump does not have to post a $464 million bond today
-He has 10 more days to post a $175 million bond
-He can get a loan from an NY-based business to do this
-He and related cronies may lead corporations in NY again
-The court monitor still controls all his assets
-The original judgement still stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

smackfu posted:

That order doesn’t even have a rationale, it just pulls a number out of a hat.

Yeah that's some grade a high test rich folk bullshit