Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oshit that's creepy, it's just offscreen youguys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

oddly perfect

lmao

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

2/3 of all SCP entries is the word REDACTED from my experience

I guess you have to be in the mood, I went on yesterday and was totally meh, but I remember loving it in the past. Seemed all "oh it's a haunted piano that plays the songs of Aqua and sings them too. Oh and it kills people"

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
The quality of writing and concepts is really uneven, so sometimes you get one that hits just right and click through to the next and it reads like some thirteen-year-old's fanfic. I vaguely recall one about a spaceship that cloned catgirls, full of "pinku"-type antilocalizations, which took me out of the whole SCP project so much that I haven't been back.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

FreudianSlippers posted:

[REDACTED] balls

Buddy, they don't even let me [REDACTED]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The best SCPs are the ones that work as short-form X-Files episodes basically. Brief, sweet, and using the DATA EXPUNGEDs strategically to let your brain fill in the gaps. This one will always be one of my favorites (warning: its got some bug-related body horror).

The wiki's problem at this point is that a lot of the low and medium hanging fruit in terms of sci-fi horror is tapped out, so the concepts are having to get increasingly esoteric. I don't know what a pattern screamer is and I refuse to learn.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

1stGear posted:

The best SCPs are the ones that work as short-form X-Files episodes basically. Brief, sweet, and using the DATA EXPUNGEDs strategically to let your brain fill in the gaps. This one will always be one of my favorites (warning: its got some bug-related body horror).

The wiki's problem at this point is that a lot of the low and medium hanging fruit in terms of sci-fi horror is tapped out, so the concepts are having to get increasingly esoteric. I don't know what a pattern screamer is and I refuse to learn.

To me, the main issue is that SCP arose along-side creepypastas and it wasn't enough to have a cool story, now it has to be a loving metaverse with everything relating back to one another and recurring characters and concepts you have to dig down deep to figure out. It's fun to read a three page short story about a self refilling whiskey glass that kills you, not so much to have to spend thirty hours learning Dr. Clef's deepest pychosexual secrets to know why the purple rabbits that smell like coal tar are actually terrifying.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
SCP was great when storytellers used its quirks as story aids and fell apart when other people (usually kids) saw those same quirks as a checklist.

The whole [redacted] thing was a much better way to do HP Lovecraft's "it was so terrifying that I can't describe it so you should do the work for me" because it was totally consistent logically and in-universe.

Same with the descriptions of how each entry needed to be contained, the best ones were short and sweet paragraphs of environmental storytelling rather than spooky pablum about non-euclidian geometry.

But kids are kids, and very quickly you had people making anime characters and going around in circles one-upping each other. You'd get walls of text about how the previous most-powerful special boy had to be fenced in with unobtanium, but my new special boy needs unobtanium2 because he is exponentially stronger and more dangerous. It got really bad really fast.

It's still fun to find lists of best SCP entries and read the first four or five, just don't go too far beyond that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Also, the antimemetics division stuff by qntm is incredibly good.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The only SCP thing I paid much attention to was When Day Breaks, where sunlight itself becomes horribly mutagenic to all organic life and even night isn't safe, because of the Moon. It was pretty effectively scary!...and then when I looked into reading anything else SCP it was hot garbage.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

look, a lot of the negative things people are saying are true

but you'll never convince me not to love the Tupac CD

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't know much about SCP but it kinda seems like the inspiration for control? Am I off? I can't read btw so don't be hateful and tell me to just read it myself

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't know much about SCP but it kinda seems like the inspiration for control? Am I off? I can't read btw so don't be hateful and tell me to just read it myself
Yeah

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Control's inspiration is like 90% the SCP Wiki, yes.

FFT posted:

oh dang, I didn't realize they also wrote Lena, the story about how we should immediately kill anyone who proposes doing sci-fi brain scans that let you simulate a person.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't read any SCP stuff but considering that it's written by all different people it hardly seems surprising that there's a ton of variation in the quality?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sane Clown Posse

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

1stGear posted:

oh dang, I didn't realize they also wrote Lena, the story about how we should immediately kill anyone who proposes doing sci-fi brain scans that let you simulate a person.
100%

He also made Absurdle, the antagonistic version of Wordle

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

mystes posted:

I haven't read any SCP stuff but considering that it's written by all different people it hardly seems surprising that there's a ton of variation in the quality?

Shame, because some of them are up there with the best short stories ever made. Hard to find and recommend now, though.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

a responsible cat owner would trim their cat's claws regularly :colbert:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Montague Tigg posted:

a responsible cat owner would trim their cat's claws regularly :colbert:

Never. It doesn't bother my cats and a knife in the throat is a small price to pay for cat cuddles

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

1stGear posted:

thanks for this. I love how it discusses how long the simulated person can work for, what kinds of workloads it can do, what kind of "encouragement" works on it - all to the tune of how you'd fix a malfunctioning toaster, rather than an imprisoned, screaming simulacrum.

edit: and that, for the vast majority of jobs the simulated person was used for, he'd be lucky to be a smart toaster

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

It kinda blew my mind when I learned that you could trim a cat's claws. People sure could avoid the whole declawing thing if they just took the time to trim their cat's claws if they are going to keep them inside and don't want stuff getting clawed up.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Apr 1, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I trim my cats’ nails every two weeks and it feels good to know I’m taking care of the animal that I and my ancestors have forced into a bastardized way of life that is neither human nor animal, doomed to an interdependent relationship with my species until the day my species goes extinct - taking their species with it.

That was a strong gummy, goddamn I’m going to bed goodnight thread, this posts sucks

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dear Jesus:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If I don't keep my one cat's claws trimmed he manages to cut himself with them when scratching his head. Or maybe it's in play fights with his brother, I'm not sure. Anyway, he purrs when I trim them, so I don't think he minds that much.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

I trim my cats’ nails every two weeks and it feels good to know I’m taking care of the animal that I and my ancestors have forced into a bastardized way of life that is neither human nor animal, doomed to an interdependent relationship with my species until the day my species goes extinct - taking their species with it.

That was a strong gummy, goddamn I’m going to bed goodnight thread, this posts sucks

Cats would be fine on their own after humans go extinct. Despite what they tell us, they don't actually have to eat every two hours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My mom's late cat was a Bombay and powerful as an ox. She'd turn into a hissing, spitting rage machine and both the groomer and the vet needed to employ a Hannibal Lecter style mask with her.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Byzantine posted:

Cats would be fine on their own after humans go extinct. Despite what they tell us, they don't actually have to eat every two hours.

Without humans keeping the populations of coyotes, wild cats, hawks, foxes, etc in check would house cats really stand a chance on their own?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FFT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IiVeGAydE

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If you don't trim a cat's claws, since they grow in a curve, they can become ingrown and very uncomfortable and then you gotta take them to the vet to do it and then their little beans are bleeding and you gotta put cream on the beans but then the cat will try to clean the cream off the beans but it will make them sick to eat it so you gotta stop them.

So just trim the claws instead.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Without humans keeping the populations of coyotes, wild cats, hawks, foxes, etc in check would house cats really stand a chance on their own?

Feral cats are mean killing machines. They'd be fine in Australia for sure.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Tbf the hawk population might recover and if it did they would absolutely try on a cat I reckon but you're kind of right there aren't a lot of predators for em

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

House cats are basically unchanged from their wild versions and will happily live in almost every environment on Earth. Since we haven't altered them like we have dogs, they'd just merge back into the wild small cat populations because they can interbreed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hell yeah, that popped up in my youtubes earlier today. Pretty decent depiction imo

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Tbf the hawk population might recover and if it did they would absolutely try on a cat I reckon but you're kind of right there aren't a lot of predators for em
https://twitter.com/primawesome/status/1178671690261286918

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Byzantine posted:

House cats are basically unchanged from their wild versions and will happily live in almost every environment on Earth. Since we haven't altered them like we have dogs, they'd just merge back into the wild small cat populations because they can interbreed.

Yeah. There are also a handful of wild cat species that are even smaller than domestic cats that do really well for themselves. The biggest existential risk to them is stuff like habitat destruction and other consequences of human civilization. Without us around they'd do even better. Cats are exceptional hunters and don't really give a poo poo about anything

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I really enjoyed that, and I don't really like horror. At least, I don't remember liking horror?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This bug I had with the comments on this video are kind of perfect

https://i.imgur.com/F1UXrqT.mp4

Memes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I distinctly remember seeing this picture when I was aged six (well, minus meme text obvs.) and being annoyed at how terrible it was. It was in a book so someone got paid to draw the most goofy shiny un-dynamic dinosaurs ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

im not autistic but i can assure you that being good at math and science is not adequate compensation for having mental health problems