Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering Yuta didn't even get to use max power Rika, I'd be very surprised if he's just completely out of the fight, but who knows. After all, Kenjaku died without ever showing the cursed technique he imbued in his domain during the Yuki fight.

I assumed it was yuji's mom's antigravity?

re: this week's chapter: something special about gojo being chastised for his racism in-universe then learning that miguel's technique is to be really good at breakdancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Holy poo poo the kenjaku "fight"

Oh it got real

Gold experience requiem :stare:

this is the peak of hsonen battles

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 31, 2024

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

He did put on the ring before the DE so that was him going all out.
Rika's full manifestation has a clear visual indicator. The ring might just be necessary for Yuta to use his domain expansion much like he needs the ring for accessing his cursed technique. But by all appearances he chose to not put himself on the 5 minute time limit that Full Power Rika imposes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Yuta is probably not done in this fight because much like Maki and Yuji he is a main character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
official localization once again demonstrating that it's the worst in jump

did they just have to call in a ringer after the previous translator got busted and then never bothered to replace them

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Yuta is probably not done in this fight because much like Maki and Yuji he is a main character.

Rika carrying him off would support he's not dead unlike so many others.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

y'know I never put any stock in the "gege dislikes gojo/hates having to write around him" stuff and I never will because I think that is just a nonsense and juvenile way to talk about fiction

but jumping us to a flashback to explain miguel's cursed technique so that gojo can say weird poo poo about his bone structure is, I have to admit, truly innovative stuff. following that up by revealing miguel's CT is moving to the beat? remarkable. no one is doing it like gege

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

official localization once again demonstrating that it's the worst in jump

did they just have to call in a ringer after the previous translator got busted and then never bothered to replace them

that's my understanding from having friends in the field. Coupled with "that first guy wasn't really adequate for how technical this manga gets either, and VIZ hates changing terms so the second guy is stuck writing around some nonsense"

holy poo poo sukuna landing a black flash

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 1, 2024

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Decided to give this series one more shot and wow we are still where we were last year, huh

There are individual moments that are cool when viewed in a vacuum, but I'm finding it very hard to care about the Nth rendition of the three-week-cycle "Character shows up -> oh wow he did something cool maybe the good guys are finally turning things around -> lol jk Sukuna barely felt it and now that character's probably dead" that has eliminated any possibility of this fight/story getting a satisfying ending.

At least this time the author had the decency to show Sukuna no-selling whatever they're throwing at him at the end of this chapter instead of waiting for next week.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Magic capoeira is cool. Gege is clearly a big martial arts nerd and its cool to expand those horizons in his story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

And I'm caught up. I could maybe see why people are sick of Sukuna had I been reading weekly and, most importantly, Kenjaku vs Takaba's excellent fight hadn't happened in the middle there. 30 chapters since the start of Gojo vs Sukuna adds up since this is the last or second-to-last thing and we're seeing the damage be reflected in how Sukuna fights. However, 3 months since this stretch does feel like the time to mix it up is coming soon (next chapter thanks to the black flash??) like in that stretch of learning about everyone in the culling game.

My only real complaint is how little the military intervention mattered to fights in the culling game. Felt more like a hasty way to get to the next phase of the story in a way that kept Kenjaku's agency.

There's been amazing fights, but the manga is not as good as its first half. Itadori's brother revelation was one of my favorite things ever, and the villain cast Kenjaku was manipulating were extremely interesting and well realized. That said, Sukuna is still one of hte best examples of a "force of nature" villain. He was built up very well so seeing him able to start going all out is really cool and satisfying and I can respect dedicating this stretch to him after everything that's happened.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the kenjaku/takaba fight was so much better than anything else that's happened recently but since then it's been dragging worse than ever

i'll laugh if nobara fails to show up as the very last of every character ever fighting sukuna though

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I wasn't that high on Kenjaku/Takaba since I'm not very familiar with Japanese stand up comedy and it was pretty reliant on those references. It was a neat concept though.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

takaba realizing he'd stopped taking comedy seriously and resigned himself to mediocrity to avoid pain and hurt and embarrassment, then resolving to make even kenjaku laugh his guts out was a better story about the liberatory and transcendent power of abandoning attachment to anything other than your own true and fiercely-held desires than anything that's happened with sukuna

he accepts death and the failure of his mission in order to reach the pinnacle of standup comedy in front of an audience of one in a live, unrecorded, one-night-only performance. jujutsu demands no less.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 1, 2024

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Every moment Takaba is on the page it’s a “he just like me for real” kind of thing so him vs Kenjaku is my favorite too. However I have a strong feeling that Hakari’s nonsense is going to be loving insane animated, while Takaba’s will simply be good. So I’ll praise Takaba as the clear highlight of the endgame while it’s still true.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Curious if they'll be able to get the timing right when takaba kills that special grade with a bus

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

JahRoo posted:

Curious if they'll be able to get the timing right when takaba kills that special grade with a bus

I'm imagining the episode beginning with the most bombastic intro for the special grade, opening song, smash cut to the curse becoming roadkill immediately

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Kenjaku will be in the middle of explaining its origins and abilities like he did with that catfish curse in Shibuya before truck kun’s sudden interruption.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Apologies if this is a double post, but I don’t think I saw anyone post it.

Pretty cool Gojo vs Sukuna centric promo for the next manga volume from Shonen Jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0OVz4wt9ew

Makes me want to read the fight again.

I don't have a ton of thoughts on the current fight other than that it feeling exhausting to read is probably down to the weekly release format. I'm thinking it will read a lot better when it is all done and it can be read in a volume format.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

the asspull for why gojo got hit by the dismantle is pretty corny but also miguel doing stuff is cool even though his technique being grooving out is extremely suspect lmao

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MorningMoon posted:

God this match is like what Will Ospreay vs Bryan Danielson will look like

okay this does makes sense as Ospreay has incredible natural talent and athleticism, someone whom you could truly say is gifted, while Danielson has the biggest wrestling brain out of everybody.

anyway back to the topic of the manga, it would be extremely funny if Sukuna does get to throw out his DE again after all of Miguel's conditions for joining the fight

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked them doing the “the natural power of the black man” only for Miguel to say “that’s really racist and this is unique to me” every time. Felt like a really clear calling out of a common manga trope that sucks.

I liked Sukuna’s binding vow explanation. I guess Kenjaku said that you only lose what you gain if you broke it. I remember when Mahito had the Contract with Mechamaru that Kennybwarmed him it’d be a really bad idea to break it. In that case Mahito had everything he wanted already. I assumed it’s in the same vein as a binding vow and that the backlash is much more severe the more you renege on something even with yourself.

I assume if he tried to do the world slash without the hand movements etc it just wouldn’t happen. Buneing vows have been pretty lose and could potentially break the ability stuff for the series but mostly I’ve felt like Gege has landed them so I don’t mind the looser mechanics they have I.e. never having someone sit down and say exactly how it works.

As for Gojo seeing it with his six eyes he wasn’t able to see Makora do it to him either. It’s a targeting manoeuvre rather than a change of how the fundamental technique works so that fits for me.

It would be funny to see Sukuna do the world slash without the extra steps and Gojo to reform though lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sukuna has to pop his DE again.

Yuji and the boys all rushing his shrine to try and disable it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

EmmyOk posted:

I liked Sukuna’s binding vow explanation. I guess Kenjaku said that you only lose what you gain if you broke it. I remember when Mahito had the Contract with Mechamaru that Kennybwarmed him it’d be a really bad idea to break it. In that case Mahito had everything he wanted already. I assumed it’s in the same vein as a binding vow and that the backlash is much more severe the more you renege on something even with yourself.

It’s different when it’s a binding vow with another person. In that case breaking it has unpredictable consequences but it’s bad enough no one wants to risk breaking one

For self-binding vows I think either Gege didn’t think them out very well or there’s more rules we’re not aware of and the “you only lose what you’ve gained” rule isn’t always true. There was also Miwa’s “I won’t swing a katana again” vow for a temporary power boost that also should have no consequences if she breaks it so it’s not just Sukuna

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 2, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sukuna breaks his binding vow and gojo's upper and lower halves rejoin with a super mario powerup sound

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Domain expansion.

https://www.y o u t u b e . c o m/watch?v=I0OVz4wt9ew

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Looks like Sukuna is going to get his domain expansion back.

Jerkface posted:

Seems like a pretty big cursed energy loophole that you can make incredibly powerful binding vows with yourself then immediately break them after the damage is done.

Pretty sure it goes by HxH rules where incredibly powerful binding vows don't really have loopholes, and breaking them can result in a very painful slow death or permanent backlashes. Of course in HxH, this leads to its natural conclusion where we have armies of people giving up their lives to achieve the goal of a leader or a nation but in the context of JJK, vows are not meant to be broken.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Flair posted:

Pretty sure it goes by HxH rules where incredibly powerful binding vows don't really have loopholes, and breaking them can result in a very painful slow death or permanent backlashes. Of course in HxH, this leads to its natural conclusion where we have armies of people giving up their lives to achieve the goal of a leader or a nation but in the context of JJK, vows are not meant to be broken.

I mean I guess, but thats not really what JJK has said in text. Of course no one has broken a personal vow willy nilly yet, so maybe we should just assume it does work like that, but this is the exact panel where we got the personal vs 2 person binding vow comparison:

Its pretty definitive that breaking a vow with yourself has a very light punishment. Mahito was totally willing to break their vow with mechamaru and Kenjaku specifically called out the difference there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
if the wording of her binding vow is "I'll never swing a katana again," then Miwa should consider taking up fencing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Just get a different katana, duh or any number of janky rear end looking cursed tool swords with a whole rear end wig for a guard

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This chapter makes it pretty clear Sukuna can't just break that vow with no consequences or else he would have no reason to be keeping it up.

Perhaps this is a phenomenon of what some scholars call a "retcon" or perhaps there are some nuances to the system of Binding Vows that were not elucidated in that single sentence. One may never know.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jerkface posted:

Its pretty definitive that breaking a vow with yourself has a very light punishment. Mahito was totally willing to break their vow with mechamaru and Kenjaku specifically called out the difference there.

I would imagine that self-imposing binding vows are not too powerful compared to other kinds of binding vows. So far, they just seem like a crutch to activate a CT faster, use CT in a stronger context, or be able to activate a certain CT at all. Either it is a limitation so that CT cannot be used in all situations but in certain situations it is now better, or it becomes a means to activate a CT that they could have used with some training but took a shortcut to use.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's worth noting that "losing what you gained" might just not be possible when what you gained has already been used up. Which means the fallback might be something else entirely.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Mahito was totally willing to break their vow with mechamaru and Kenjaku specifically called out the difference there.
To be fair, Mahito is incredibly young and willing to push boundaries purely because he can and at his whims.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's worth noting that "losing what you gained" might just not be possible when what you gained has already been used up. Which means the fallback might be something else entirely.

Yea for sure this interpretation makes sense. I just think the writing on the binding vow stuff is just like several tiers below other similar deal with the devil mechanics. Kind of wish gege had shown-not-told a sorcerer breaking a binding vow, because the explanation is obviously weak.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Jerkface posted:

Just get a different katana, duh or any number of janky rear end looking cursed tool swords with a whole rear end wig for a guard

miwa sweeps with the nanami blunt sword

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/bhtMAsR

256 cam screens with tl in comments

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

yum posted:

https://imgur.com/a/bhtMAsR

256 cam screens with tl in comments

Curious about the final translation of the final comment yuji awakens.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if the implication is that Yuji’s CT that finally awakens is being able to hit Black Flash on demand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Curious about the final translation of the final comment yuji awakens.

"Awakens" can sometimes just be used in shonen stuff to mean "is fully pumped/ready to go" which would fit with Yuji being in The Zone again.