Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

bro how do you get the coldest reception in lets play of all forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Hard work and determination! :buddy:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

this sub-forum is genuinely too nice for its own good sometimes. it mostly only gets pissed when ur a creepy sex freak. and yet...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

By having a reputation that preceedes you.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

By having a reputation that preceedes you.

i feel even generally maligned goons have posted lps in here and gotten away fine. im sure its different in the discords, but hell, i have mostly known this as a forum of peace

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

i feel even generally maligned goons have posted lps in here and gotten away fine. im sure its different in the discords, but hell, i have mostly known this as a forum of peace

for what it's worth, it probably helps to be able to read the room, and also to not reheat decades old beef apropos of nothing because of an internet lore archaeology pet project

making that kind of post has been a genuine hobby for that poster over a long enough period of time across multiple subforums that, I think, a lot of people are just exhausted of him

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

...and we're sure they aren't a delphisage rereg, right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Delphisage's account was actually newer than euroshopper's :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I dunno man that thing that happened like 16 years ago needs to be addressed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's finally time we all address the elephant in the room: [some bizarre poo poo from 10+ years ago no one knows or cares about]

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not to humour the drama archaeologist but like. It is, in retrospect, kinda remarkable that this subforum, the one we have today, once had that reaction to that thread. You can see Slowbeef sometimes posting in literally this thread about the culture and around LP then, about its perhaps not entirely healthy obsession with simultaneously being taken seriously and not being taken too seriously, and how much the place has chilled tf out since those days. There's good to come of reckoning with that, assuming you're not just showing up to stir poo poo. Today, that thread would not have been shut down, and that's a good thing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Leraika posted:

I think it is but also I cannot blame the lper for not going back to it

I can, that poo poo was hilarious

You just gotta remember: no moral

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I have no idea why he brought it up, but as someone who wasn't around back then I thought it was interesting and appreciated it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

IIRC the way he framed it is a slight misrepresentation of what happened, albeit one that's pretty widespread. The thing that got the thread shut down wasn't a reaction to anything the LPer did, it was other people in the thread getting weird about it.

Personally I've always found it amusing that apparently there was nobody at all in the thread who'd already played PMD and knew that the isekai stuff was actually part of the game.

(FWIW this is all secondhand information, I also wasn't around back then.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe we should ban pokemon LPs again....

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Maybe we should ban pokemon LPs again....

April Fools :xd:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Leal posted:

Maybe we should ban LPs....

FTFY

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No more than eight songs per thread!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was around back then, and the LPer had already done the first game, which was also an isekai. every PMD game has the premise that the protagonist is a human who got turned into a pokemon. It had some online functions so that you could rescue other players who died in dungeons and vice-versa, and other posters were adding their own teams and stories. and then when the LP started the second game It was decided that this was all weird and creepy or whatever. Oh no communal roleplaying!!!

edit: I remember now, the problem in this case was this it was implicitly a self-instert LP and that was a bridge too far

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've always been on the side of fanfic in lps that already have stories being really cringe, but I simply just don't read them if I don't like the writing, instead of being even weirder about it than the lp writer is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

I've always been on the side of fanfic in lps that already have stories being really cringe, but I simply just don't read them if I don't like the writing, instead of being even weirder about it than the lp writer is.

I think it comes down to execution and how obtrusive/shittily written it is. I actually enjoyed the way people like Id did it a lot of the time where it was "make the characters say funny swears and slurs to further the commentary on the game". I think I was able to get away with it because the one major SSLP I did, the game had an entire character whose role was to be a mute player avatar that's straight up almost spitefully ignored by the other characters, so I could just shove parts of my commentary into their mouth as "dialog" and just keep a scene moving as-is because the other characters didn't have to respond to it except in little call-response jokes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've done my share of fanficcy LPs, so it'd be hypocritical of me to say they're automatically bad. They are, however, going to live or die on the quality of their writing.

The neat thing, to me, is that a fanficcy LP is a good way to get practice in writing. You have a framework handed to you, and you can make as much or as little use of that framework as you like. As you get practice, you can get more ambitious in walking away from the path that the game lays out for you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like LPs, I like fanfiction, and I like fanfiction-y LPs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

YggiDee posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite Let's Play fanfic was the one with the goon who was a mercenary and had a dead daughter

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I'm more partial to the one where he attempted to fell a hippo with a shotgun and busted out a grenade launcher when that proved to be insufficient.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

YggiDee posted:

I think there's a bit of a limit, personally, though it's always a taste thing. I don't mind when someone adds dialogue to a mute protagonist, snarky asides to the pre-existing companions or whatever, but there have been a couple of times where someone wrote their own, entire secondary storyline to go alongside the existing storyline and it went completely overboard as a creative writing exercise.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I remember reading the Arcanum LP in the archives ages ago and bounced off because it went a bit too much into the fanfiction writing for the main character.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
When I think of fanfiction let's plays, I can't stop my mind from going back to that one VLP Retsupurae covered where a guy made a Fire Emblem rom hack, LP'd it himself, and covered the romance plot he wrote for his self insert character. I realize this is a completely unfair thing to base my perception on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Good ol' MageKnight404

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think an LPer has to put something of themselves into the LP to make it good, and at the end of the day, it probably was the fanficy ones that were the best lol. Can't be too much though, the game has to be the focus, I might try vlps more often if every single time I tried the dude wasn't trying to voice the game himself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As far as I'm aware, Chip and Grant are the gold standard of VLP, a format that has largely been superseded by regular streaming for the majority of the Internet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm actually surprised Let's Plays are still plugging along

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The fanfiction-y stuff can have its own appeal, especially if it's integrated well. Not to toot my own horn, but when I SSLP'd Disco Elysium I had regular commentary and eventually started adding additional commentary by including an original personality type that was "me" in my authorial voice. It was mostly to help rationalize the actions of the main character, and maybe I went further than I needed to at times, but that felt like an interesting way to do that kind of thing, and in a way I hadn't personally seen before. And then I started P5R where I'm basically rewriting most of the game because I already showed it all.

I definitely still get somewhat nervous about those additions, but as long as you're still making it about the game as a base layer you're probably on the right track. The main concern, I'd say, is just not going overboard with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My perspective on fanfic in LPs, as someone who puts a lot of fanfic into their LP projects, is that I'm largely not doing it for the thread's enjoyment: I'm doing it for my enjoyment, because I enjoy writing. Readers of the thread can read it or not as they wish, but they're not the people I'm primarily writing for in most cases.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Arist posted:

The fanfiction-y stuff can have its own appeal, especially if it's integrated well. Not to toot my own horn, but when I SSLP'd Disco Elysium I had regular commentary and eventually started adding additional commentary by including an original personality type that was "me" in my authorial voice. It was mostly to help rationalize the actions of the main character, and maybe I went further than I needed to at times, but that felt like an interesting way to do that kind of thing, and in a way I hadn't personally seen before. And then I started P5R where I'm basically rewriting most of the game because I already showed it all.

I definitely still get somewhat nervous about those additions, but as long as you're still making it about the game as a base layer you're probably on the right track. The main concern, I'd say, is just not going overboard with it.

Sorry I asked for that way back when lmao.
You're gonna finish lping p5 twice before I see the credits in either version.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

I think there's a bit of a limit, personally, though it's always a taste thing. I don't mind when someone adds dialogue to a mute protagonist, snarky asides to the pre-existing companions or whatever, but there have been a couple of times where someone wrote their own, entire secondary storyline to go alongside the existing storyline and it went completely overboard as a creative writing exercise.

You can't tell me that Didja Redo's Gazillionaire Deluxe LP isn't art. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cythereal posted:

My perspective on fanfic in LPs, as someone who puts a lot of fanfic into their LP projects, is that I'm largely not doing it for the thread's enjoyment: I'm doing it for my enjoyment, because I enjoy writing. Readers of the thread can read it or not as they wish, but they're not the people I'm primarily writing for in most cases.

That's the thing, as long as the LPer enjoys doing it and it isn't completely creepy then who cares? Even the weird poo poo that Mageknight did at least has some entertainment value (albeit for different reasons than he probably intended), and he did seem overall chill to the reactions to the Fire Emblem and Pokemon Retsu's.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember reading the Arcanum LP in the archives ages ago and bounced off because it went a bit too much into the fanfiction writing for the main character.

You know, I didn't want to call anyone out, but that was exactly the one I was thinking of.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can't tell me that Didja Redo's Gazillionaire Deluxe LP isn't art. :colbert:

I think it's about the definition of a game with so little writing of its own that it's ripe ground exactly for fanfic stuff, like a Paradox game LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The amount of plot a game has on its own is definitely an important factor. And of course you get your Etrian Odysseys and Wizardrys and such where your parties are all generics, which allow for tons of LPer-created dialogue.

My 'gone too far' callout is still Feinne for writing their updates like they were the protagonist's journal.