Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Wolf House creeped the poo poo out of me but more than anything I was just blown away by the artistry. Hyped as gently caress to be able to watch it on the big screen at my local arthouse tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Snake Plissken is one of the most badass characters ever made

not that hes a horror character, but who do yall consider the most badass horror character? i have to think on it for a sec

Alice from Resident Evil is up there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Alice from Resident Evil is up there.

maybe if Kate Beckinsale's character from Underworld didnt exist

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The most badass character in film was played by Jim Caviezel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lemme just spin this chair around so I can "rap" with you guys about the dangers of demonic influence in Freddy's Dead

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The main guy from sound of freedom?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Unconventional, but correct badass choice :

Sutter Cane.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

last time i was extremely on edge in a horror movie was the buildup to and execution of the dog attack sequence in When Evil Lurks. but that's also more tension that outright fear

oh also badasses. can we count Jigsaw in Saw X, he is the tough old Clint Eastwood (character not rightwing dipshit) of horror movie guys now

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The scene in Talk to Me where that kid fucks up his own face while possessed really rattled me like nothing else in a long time. Self harm stuff always gets to me.

Outside of Horror, They Shoot Horses Don't They? (not really any specific bit, but just the cumulative effect of the thing) and the climactic rape, murder, necrophilia, suicide (staged in the real crime scene) sequence from Star 80 are probably some of the most terrifying things I've watched in recent years

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

wheres the lie folks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every time someone kicks me I hope they fall down stairs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someoen kicked me for what i assume was low kills so go gently caress yourself and your ship you dumb traitorous bitch

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

maybe wrong thread CP but pretty good stuff nonetheless

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Things a mook from a Jackie Chan movie would post:

CelticPredator posted:

Every time someone kicks me I hope they fall down stairs

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 2, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

maybe wrong thread CP but pretty good stuff nonetheless

lol I thought this was the helldivers thread

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

go gently caress yourself and your ship you dumb traitorous bitch

larry fishburne improvising on the set of event horizon, maybe

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CelticPredator posted:

go gently caress yourself and your ship you dumb traitorous bitch

^ me on tumblr

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://i.imgur.com/epsQHHV.mp4

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ok i dont think its unreasonable to ask not to post your video game clips itt

Also thank you Jedit for reccomending the Warriors, i really enjoyed it!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

ok i dont think its unreasonable to ask not to post your video game clips itt

Why not. It’s horror. And monsters. And I was scared

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Why not. It’s horror. And monsters. And I was scared

CINEMA discusso. Its not a genchat for your interests. Join a discord. Post something that isnt some variation on "I like comics and video games and goop".

Theres an entire Helldivers thread full of people that would love to see your clips. You know this bc you meant to post in it.

Or maybe youre just an AI trained exclusively on the Funko Pop subreddit.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Clips of people playing video games are cinema. Deal with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

Yeah pretty sure Orson Welles said this.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm honestly hard pressed to remember the last time a movie genuinely scared the living poo poo out of me. Could just be me getting old or something. I've enjoyed tons of horror films over the last decade or two but still can't come up with a terrifying recommendation when I'm discussing stuff I've seen with other horror fans.

the arm chopping scene in Green Room was the first time since I was a kid where I had to pause a horror sequence just to calm down before I could continue

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

God Hole posted:

the arm chopping scene in Green Room was the first time since I was a kid where I had to pause a horror sequence just to calm down before I could continue

That film left me feeling quite shaken, not only because of the violence and cruelty, but because the characters felt like people I'd know.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Martman posted:

no i dont think i will

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Kvlt! posted:

CINEMA discusso. Its not a genchat for your interests. Join a discord. Post something that isnt some variation on "I like comics and video games and goop".

Theres an entire Helldivers thread full of people that would love to see your clips. You know this bc you meant to post in it.

You aren't the thread police, there's no need to be an rear end in a top hat about this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

You aren't the thread police, there's no need to be an rear end in a top hat about this.

we can do the same song and dance again, CP will pull his "I got bullied because someone asked me not to post my video game clips in here", MZ will hit me with a sixer, time is a flat circle. I'd much rather the thread be filled with that than video game clips tbh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

jesus christ kvlt lmao

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm getting caught up on The Last Drive-In episodes and just watched Deathstalker. I liked this movie a lot as a kid but, as an adult, I was loving blown away by how bad it was. No plot at all, constant gross vibes in every scene, and the cool bits of violent action are maybe 3 minutes of the entire movie. That movie's not horror but it did get me thinking:

What's a horror movie you loved as a kid but can't sit through as an adult?

I would, without fail, watch any Puppetmaster movie that popped up on the Sci-Fi channel. And they played them a LOT. I was both terrified and intrigued, and I never caught the movies in any kind of order so they seemed to have this incredibly complicated lore behind them that also interested me.

As an adult? They range from boring as hell to just plain dumb to me. Obviously a lotta people like them, though, since they keep making them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

we can do the same song and dance again, CP will pull his "I got bullied because someone asked me not to post my video game clips in here", MZ will hit me with a sixer, time is a flat circle. I'd much rather the thread be filled with that than video game clips tbh.

Excuse me this is the cinema thread

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Have you ever heard the parable of the man who meets nothing but assholes all day long?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Buddy needs to relax and stop seeing everything as this massive attack on them.

Maybe let the mods do their job as well if someone is out of line.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

^ me on tumblr

Lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I actually agree that I'd rather people not post clips from helldivers itt

I'm jealous I don't get to play it

please don't drag this derail out any further

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Last movie to scare me was last fall when I finally watched Pulse.

And it was not the zombies - it was the convos about isolation and connection on the early '00s internet that freaked me out. Decapitation? Werewolves leading to armpits hanging in trees? Totally fine. Existentialism and philosophy? You can just rock me to sleep.

I joked to my spouse that monsters don't scare me, Igmar Bergman does. (See the confession scene in The Seventh Seal).

Tension wise, I was all wound up last fall watching Wait Until Dark. Even though I KNOW it has to have a "happy" ending because its mid-'60s mainstream Hollywood, every time Hepburn's character is on screen, my nerves just ramped wondering "How will she-? What if-?"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Fancy Hat posted:

What's a horror movie you loved as a kid but can't sit through as an adult?

I've been lucky that that hasn't really happened to me, I can appreciate what I saw as a kid for what it is (Maximum Overdrive, Shocker), or they were generally good movies for the most part, at least the ones I remember. If any period has aged badly, it's the period when I was a teenager between Scream and the "found footage" boom with nu-metal soundtracked vehicles for TV stars, but even then there were a couple of gems and I was becoming a little weirdo after playing Resident Evil and hunting down Italo-splatter and stuff.

To approach that question from another angle, while I'm less likely to be frightened by a horror movie, adult anxieties can bring a different weight to some I might have missed as a kid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Naked Man Punch posted:

Last movie to scare me was last fall when I finally watched Pulse.

And it was not the zombies - it was the convos about isolation and connection on the early '00s internet that freaked me out. Decapitation? Werewolves leading to armpits hanging in trees? Totally fine. Existentialism and philosophy? You can just rock me to sleep.

The way the ghost moves toward the camera in Pulse is how I learned getting chills from fear isn't just poetic language and can actually happen. It's such a good scene, it just really freaked me out, proper uncanny valley stuff.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The way the ghost moves toward the camera in Pulse is how I learned getting chills from fear isn't just poetic language and can actually happen. It's such a good scene, it just really freaked me out, proper uncanny valley stuff.

there's a similar scene in The Wailing, that deliberate dreamy sleep paralysis feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the diner scene at the beggining of Mulholland Drive scared me pretty good, although I watched it long after release its probably the most recent example of a specific scene that really freaked me out. A bunch of horror MOVIES have scared me but its mostly religious horror, I think that'd be the most recently filmed individual scene that really freaked me out.

edit: honorable mention to that scene in the Driller Killer with the most disgusting pizza/food every put to film

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 2, 2024