Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
drat, I was only playing it to test if the system was working, but before I knew it, I had sat there and played Alundra for hours. As if my backlog didn't have enough competition with me adding more out of nowhere...I guess Sakurai was right that game devs aren't just competing for your attention against current games, but the past as well. Do you think Alunda is unique/special enough to play? I've played it a bit as a kid but it was so longer ago: all I remember is getting stuck at those sliding ice pillar puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wild arms XF gets a lot easier when you realize its just a puzzle game disguised as a SRPG, and not actually a SRPG

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that isnt even really a criticism of it its just easy to misunderstand what it expects of you

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

microfolk posted:

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest is very challenging in a very fun way in Hard mode, but having to deal with everything outside of the battles is where the real difficulty lies

I got into FE finally with 3 Houses and now that I’ve almost finished Engage the sheer amount of time you have to deal with the monastery in retrospect in 3 Houses sort of infuriates me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

wild arms XF gets a lot easier when you realize its just a puzzle game disguised as a SRPG, and not actually a SRPG

Yeah, which is one of my favorite things about it. It genuinely is like "here's a bunch of JRPG tools, figure out this puzzle"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Meowywitch posted:

This but Jeanne d'Arc

Get over the early game hump, maybe with a little bit of grinding if it's really bad, and it gets very easy to break. The back half of the game frequently turns into a little self-imposed puzzle of weakening enemies just enough to then let a transformed armlet-bearer walk across the map with a trail of corpses. Dang, that kind of thing was satisfying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FutureCop posted:

drat, I was only playing it to test if the system was working, but before I knew it, I had sat there and played Alundra for hours. As if my backlog didn't have enough competition with me adding more out of nowhere...I guess Sakurai was right that game devs aren't just competing for your attention against current games, but the past as well. Do you think Alunda is unique/special enough to play? I've played it a bit as a kid but it was so longer ago: all I remember is getting stuck at those sliding ice pillar puzzles.

Alundra is genuinely great, though the sliding block puzzles get insane after a while and all the bosses take about three times as long to kill (thank WD for that). One of the best 2D Zelda clones ever made.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Alundra is genuinely great, though the sliding block puzzles get insane after a while and all the bosses take about three times as long to kill (thank WD for that). One of the best 2D Zelda clones ever made.

Working Designs just knew US gamers were hardcore.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Resonance of Fate is hard, but only because I'm too stupid to figure out the battle system.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Triangles forever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Paying2Lurk posted:

Resonance of Fate is hard, but only because I'm too stupid to figure out the battle system.

Unfortunately as soon as you figure it out that's kinda it. It's a neat game but it puts pretty much every card on the table from the very first battle and only very slightly changes things up over time. Combat gets very, VERY repetitive as a result, even if it always LOOKS cool.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea, it was really neat, but then you get to the points where your underleveled and it takes forever and then now you feel like you have to grind a bit and see the same bullet time stuff over and over.

it definitely had good style and vibes though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Sakurazuka posted:

There's an Un-Worked Designs patch for it. I had a copy back in the day, but I thought the game was kinda whatever. If I play it again, it'll probably be with the patch.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm sure there are worse ones I just don't remember from the ps1 and earlier days but my current vote for worst rpg would probably be Ni No Kuni 1. Just an atrocious combat system.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I usually am fast to quit out of games that are bad, and I think most non-Barudak people are too, so I think a more interesting question is worst rpg you actually beat. For me that'd have to go to Suikoden 4. God that was a SLOG.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona Q. It has a horrible combination of being far too easy if you exploit it's systems but if you aren't paying attention you can massively gently caress up and wipe. The later dungeons are incredibly tedious. The story and characters are flat compared to the main games and the music starts grating very quickly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Gaius Marius posted:

Persona Q. It has a horrible combination of being far too easy if you exploit it's systems but if you aren't paying attention you can massively gently caress up and wipe. The later dungeons are incredibly tedious. The story and characters are flat compared to the main games and the music starts grating very quickly.

actually the story, characters, and music are all very good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ehhh most of the characters felt like flanderized versions of themselves

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

persona q is good

i have not played q2

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I 100% the Dokapon rpg spinoff for gba as a kid, including completing the weapon and armor compendiums. It had a rock/paper/scissors battle system that included multiple instant kill skills for the enemies, and had roguelike inspired permanent gear loss on death, so I mainly remember savescumming for everything past the midgame once I got bored of stealing from the shop with the starting gear every time I wiped.

On the other hand, one of the swords you can forge is literally just "a cat" so maybe it's actually good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Countblanc posted:

don't mind this if they did, its a fun crossover spinoff that in my head is not canon even if it is and has will have no bearing on the actual main stories

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Countblanc posted:

Oh some of the Persona characters got hit hard with "repeat that one thing you usually do" bricks to the head, yeah. But I liked Rei and Zen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The two new people aren't bad, but it takes forever for them to get to their story.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I usually am fast to quit out of games that are bad, and I think most non-Barudak people are too, so I think a more interesting question is worst rpg you actually beat. For me that'd have to go to Suikoden 4. God that was a SLOG.

Final Fantasy 2 PR is the one I can remember from within the past few years. Honestly the game isn't truly awful like some other JRPGs but I don't think I would have finished it if I couldn't turn off random encounters. It's also very short with the PR QOL changes, so that's nice.

I beat Star Ocean 3 20 years ago, and I'm sure some people would consider that the worse game, but I liked it a lot when I played it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
it gave us more of P4 Marie's great poems, so its worth it for that

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Death End Request has an incredible bad in a good way combat system. It has like a billiard the enemies around the screen mechanic and the game tears apart at the seams when you exploit it and enemies bounce around the screen for like a full minute.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not really fair to name ff2 and 3 since all three of the og final fantasies were essentially inventing the basic thematic and mechanical ideas the next generation of square rpgs would build on. like ff2 is kinda bad but there's also no SaGa without it and SaGa is sick

the really bad poo poo as far as rpgs is going to be in a league of its own for low completion rate. people will finish a fascinatingly bad rpg but almost no one's going to finish one that's just a pure slog with nothing cool to say about it

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Colonel posted:

it's not really fair to name ff2 and 3 since all three of the og final fantasies were essentially inventing the basic thematic and mechanical ideas the next generation of square rpgs would build on. like ff2 is kinda bad but there's also no SaGa without it and SaGa is sick

the really bad poo poo as far as rpgs is going to be in a league of its own for low completion rate. people will finish a fascinatingly bad rpg but almost no one's going to finish one that's just a pure slog with nothing cool to say about it

I was referring worst among the mainline games, not worst RPGs of all time. Not even 3DS gets even close lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as far as the worst out of final fantasy goes all i can think that i've played is mystic quest. and mystic quest is still like. Fine. it just lacks any real direction. it's competently made they just had a really weird directive on it and didn't really know what they were going for

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The worst RPG I've finished is Torneko: The Last Hope. It's a PS1 Roguelike - if you've played Shiren the Wanderer or any "Mystery Dungeon" game, you'd be right at home. Almost.

What makes The Last Hope so awful is its save system. Normally, Roguelikes let you make a "suspend" save anywhere, which gets deleted on load. The developers couldn't find a way to make this work on a PS1 memory card though, since the entire dungeon layout would need to be saved.

So they came up with the idea that players can only save between floors. Which makes a bit of sense, and wouldn't be too bad. But it gets worse!

For some reason - and I cannot fathom why they did this - the between-floor saves only trigger by chance. And it's not a big chance either; you'll go several floors at a time without seeing one save opportunity.

So if you've got just a bit of time to play a game, you might boot up Torneko and play a floor or two. And then if it decides not to let you save, for no fault of your own, then you have the very unfun decision to either leave your Playstation running for a long time to not lose your run, or just take the L and kiss your progress goodbye.

(There is an item that will guarantee a between-floor save. It's random if it will appear, and takes up space in your inventory - which is already limited. Whee!)

I have never save-scummed in a roguelike, except this one. I figure it's save-scumming me already, so why not? And once I gave in to this dark urge, the game wasn't actually very difficult afterward.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Colonel posted:

I will and that's why my pick for worst rpg I've finished is Dragon Age Inquisition. Just the blandest, most boring open world rpg I've played where there's nothing to find of worth out and about, the writing sucks, and the mechanics are lackluster at best. My rating for it at the time was, "just slightly more interesting than whatever MMO I was playing at the time."

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

TheMightyBoops posted:

I got into FE finally with 3 Houses and now that I’ve almost finished Engage the sheer amount of time you have to deal with the monastery in retrospect in 3 Houses sort of infuriates me.

I think I dropped 3 Houses around the 10th chapter or something because of how tedious the monastery was, I agree. That and how every single character has the same boring school uniform for a good chunk of the game, I don't understand what's the appeal there. For as many things Cold Steel 2 does wrong )(relatively speaking, I really enjoyed it!) giving Class 7 character designs was a really welcome improvement compared to the first game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Failboattootoot posted:

I will and that's why my pick for worst rpg I've finished is Dragon Age Inquisition. Just the blandest, most boring open world rpg I've played where there's nothing to find of worth out and about, the writing sucks, and the mechanics are lackluster at best. My rating for it at the time was, "just slightly more interesting than whatever MMO I was playing at the time."

There are technically worse games than Inquisition, but it is one of the few titles I've actively disliked to the point of erasing it off my Steam account. (Only five bucks, so whatever.) Just utter garbage not worth spending any time on.

Stupid dead kid aside, I had so much fun in the Mass Effect 3 remaster by comparison. Going from the piddling lasers of the first game to turning a Cerberus merc head's into a Jackson Pollock, with your shotgun as the brush, was akin to a religious experience. That game and Arkham Knight both attained a peak in two different combat models, only for them to sadly be never reiterated upon again. (Didn't play Andromeda, won't play Andromeda)

Inquisition, on the other hand, was pure obligation and incredibly loving ugly. There's fetch quests, there's crafting, you can slot gems into your gear, you can tap the face buttons in combat if you want. Absolute dreck instantly forgotten the moment we saw Geralt in the bath.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

microfolk posted:

That and how every single character has the same boring school uniform for a good chunk of the game, I don't understand what's the appeal there.

Never played Three Houses myself, but uniforms are a thing in real life for a lot of people. Especially people who attend Japanese schools, and subsequently make video games about schools. Or military academies.

Is Three Houses's uniform just particularly offensive?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Never played Three Houses myself, but uniforms are a thing in real life for a lot of people. Especially people who attend Japanese schools, and subsequently make video games about schools. Or military academies.

I mean that is part of why people dislike them. Part of the fun of fantasy stuff is unique and distinct looks because for a lot of people boring forced-to-confirm outfits are the standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Inquisition also has the distinction of having one of the worst video game horses of that era

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Stupid dead kid aside, I had so much fun in the Mass Effect 3 remaster by comparison. Going from the piddling lasers of the first game to turning a Cerberus merc head's into a Jackson Pollock, with your shotgun as the brush, was akin to a religious experience. That game and Arkham Knight both attained a peak in two different combat models, only for them to sadly be never reiterated upon again. (Didn't play Andromeda, won't play Andromeda)

Andromeda's open world is just as bad, if not worse, than inquisitions. The characters are all the most unlikeable shitpiles outside of 2 of them, maybe. And they streamlined the combat into blandness. A strong contender for worst rpg I didn't finish tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean uniforms, can be character designs. how a character wears a uniform can tell you a lot about them. raphael barely fitting into his, edelgard's fancy little cape, bernie turning hers into a hoodie, etc. they arent all literally wearing the same thing the exact same way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean uniforms, can be character designs. how a character wears a uniform can tell you a lot about them. raphael barely fitting into his, edelgard's fancy little cape, bernie turning hers into a hoodie, etc. they arent all literally wearing the same thing the exact same way

Oh, I agree. I don't have problems with 3 Houses designs. I just know that for some people it's a turnoff even if customized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

Tequila Bob posted:

Oh absolutely not, I just find it boring! I like when games have a colorful and varied cast of characters, and Fire Emblem has always been a very appealing series to me for its designs. Three Houses isn't an exception, it has so many fun and and interesting characters but for the first part they all wear the same uniform with not enough variation for my tastes, it didn't feel ~fun~.

I understand how in both Three Houses and Cold Steel this is used for a dramatic effect when these characters get bespoken designs after a pivotal moment in the story, but it doesn't work that well for me when I could have just have had a more colorful cast since the beginning.