Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I've never seen any of the Omen films, are they worth it beyond the original?

3 is a light recommend for Sam Neil (but it isnt a good movie) and 2 is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The original The Omen is loving excellent. 3 is good for Sam Neill

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Murmuring It's All For You Damien whenever I have to do anything I don't quite want to do

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've never seen any of the Omen films, are they worth it beyond the original?

The first is the best but I also like 2. 4th (The Awakening) is completely terrible, 3 falls off a cliff at the end but is fine before that, and the remake is competently-made but pointless

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The original Omen is really good and you should definitely watch it. The second movie I saw a very long time ago and it didn't leave much of an impression on me at all beyond that it was just a weaker retread of the first one. The third one is a bit more interesting as a sequel as it takes the premise further and stars Sam Neill so it's worth a watch.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Flying Zamboni posted:

The original Omen is really good and you should definitely watch it. The second movie I saw a very long time ago and it didn't leave much of an impression on me at all beyond that it was just a weaker retread of the first one. The third one is a bit more interesting as a sequel as it takes the premise further and stars Sam Neill so it's worth a watch.

Yeah, that's a fair take on 2, but its 2 with the crows/truck set-piece and icy lake set-piece, yeah? Look those up on YouTube and imagine they're in the first film.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

That's right, I should say that the ice kill did stick with me, that's a pretty good scene!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The show is dumb and boring. That's the only one I've seen.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's funny that there are two religious horror franchises that meet "The first one is a stone-cold classic, the second is unwatchable garbage, the third is surprisingly decent". Athough The Omen 3 is nowhere near as good as Exorcist 3.

The Omen remake is also...fine? One of those mid-00s horror remakes that is completely middle of the road and kinda pointless.

Anyway, after seeing the early reviews of it (and that rad as gently caress 70s trailer), I'm a lot more excited for The First Omen now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only sequel worse and a complete tonal shift than Exorcist 2 is Conan the Destroyer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZSYjkOabCg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

The only sequel worse and a complete tonal shift than Exorcist 2 is Conan the Destroyer

making a PG Conan movie should be illegal tbh

Exorcist III isnt a sequel technically but it is in terms of continuinty bc its an adaption of Legion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I clicked through your channel and you're a very good editor and you frame your shots well for an amateur director. Honestly impressive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

edit: double posted saying the same argument, see below

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 3, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I did get a good laugh out of imagining you editting that video going THATLL SHOW KVLT! THIS IS A HORROR GAME when MZ was like "yeah dont post your video games itt" literally last page tho ngl

i dont play enough video games to care about their genre. The issue was its a video game not a movie, not that it isnt a horror game.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 3, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My favorite type of something awful post is someone complaining about someone else's lack of self awareness when displaying a total lack of it themselves

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Goon culture is largely snarky passive agressive posting. As evidenced by...your snarky passive agressive post.

Im also fully aware a lot of people dont like me. I still enjoy the horror discussion itt. Some people do like me and I like them. Its not unreasonable to say "Hey post your video games in the thread for it". As I said, MZ posted last page saying the same thing.

I dont know how that got intepreted by CP as "prove your video game is a horror game, ignore what the mod said, and post more game links in the horror MOVIE thread".

CP and I butt heads bc he just doesnt really post about movies. Which would be fine once in a while we all discuss things that arent movies, but I think we can all agree that should be the central focus of the thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 3, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Has anyone signed up to take over the May challenge thread this year?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

There's a quote from John Carpenter that always stuck with me from a doc called Nightmares in Red White and Blue. It's on Prime so I looked it up really quick.

"Audiences don't want something too horrible. It's not entertaining for them. They want to be entertained, they want to have a good time. They don't mind some of the characters on the screen getting bumped off, even in terrible ways, but you can cross a line when the audience will turn against you. And if you're a filmmaker, you can sometimes use that to your benefit by teasing the audience. The audience will say "God, are they gonna show me something I don't wanna see? I'm getting nervous now, this director, I don't trust this director, he may show me something that's going to really disturb, me." If you can ever find that little niche it's great, because the audience then provides most of the action for you in their heads"

I think it summarizes pretty well the main way that horror films can get to me and what I'm feeling when they do. You need to make the audience think you're capable of anything, that they can't trust you to color within the usual lines.

Stephen King said something similar in Danse Macabre, thinking of the difference between radio and TV. He said that the door in series Inner Sanctum was much scarier when it was on radio than it was when the show moved to television, because what you made of it in your head from the sound was scarier than anything that could be depicted - no matter how scary it turned out to be. As he put it: you think "thank God it's just a ten foot bug. I thought it might be a hundred foot bug!"

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

Goon culture is largely snarky passive agressive posting. As evidenced by...your snarky passive agressive post.

Im also fully aware a lot of people dont like me. I still enjoy the horror discussion itt. Some people do like me and I like them. Its not unreasonable to say "Hey post your video games in the thread for it". As I said, MZ posted last page saying the same thing.

I dont know how that got intepreted by CP as "prove your video game is a horror game, ignore what the mod said, and post more game links in the horror MOVIE thread".

CP and I butt heads bc he just doesnt really post about movies. Which would be fine once in a while we all discuss things that arent movies, but I think we can all agree that should be the central focus of the thread.

this is all true but the thread moves faster when you just ignore it and move on. if you post about a post that nobody wants to read you’ve doubled the amount of posts that nobody wants to read. look how many posts your cop post generated. if your goal is to keep the thread readable and on topic then cop posting is counter productive to your goal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Has anyone signed up to take over the May challenge thread this year?

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier too! I hope someone can step in, cuz I love the May/October challenges.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

this is all true but the thread moves faster when you just ignore it and move on. if you post about a post that nobody wants to read you’ve doubled the amount of posts that nobody wants to read. look how many posts your cop post generated. if your goal is to keep the thread readable and on topic then cop posting is counter productive to your goal.

That is a good point, however I ask it does go both ways, i'm willing to stop bitching if CP is willing to make an effort to actually post about movies. I think thats fair.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

That is a good point, however I ask it does go both ways, i'm willing to stop bitching if CP is willing to make an effort to actually post about movies. I think thats fair.

Stop talking to me and about me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

this multi page detail is definitely better than ignoring a post about a video game

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The point of the video was turning the video game into a short film that I “directed”. Choosing camera angles in game and editing angles. Thus became a piece of film.

It’s just so silly this came from an accident post that I wanted to be silly about.

Sorry for the bullshit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Whenever someone starts doing really rambling justifications for being a jerk, it typically means they just wanted to be a jerk~

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Stop talking to me and about me.

you just made a video literally called for kvlt lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Snooze Cruise posted:

My favorite type of something awful post is someone complaining about someone else's lack of self awareness when displaying a total lack of it themselves

Didn't you go around linking my Toni Collette post trying to shame me for having an opinion?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Doltos posted:

Didn't you go around linking my Toni Collette post trying to shame me for having an opinion?

Yeah I mentioned it in the rpg thread, it was pretty funny.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I mentioned it in the rpg thread, it was pretty funny.

I got it linked to me in a discord pointing out how a lot of horror thread posters are really lovely and mean to people who have differing opinions, I think kvlts got a point

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Doltos posted:

I got it linked to me in a discord pointing out how a lot of horror thread posters are really lovely and mean to people who have differing opinions, I think kvlts got a point

lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

didn’t you yell and cry at me in my pms like a crazy person when you got a sixer over some bullshit?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is the dumbest horror movie about the internet still Feardotcom?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WeaponX posted:

didn’t you yell and cry at me in my pms like a crazy person when you got a sixer over some bullshit?

You made a passive aggressive post after I got a sixer that I responded to in DMs and then apologized when I was wrong.

The point is this thread is absolutely full of passive aggressive posters that dog pile. It's got a reputation for a reason.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh it turns out I just linked the post for context, I wasn't even the first person to bring it up in that thread lol. I just assume I did because I found it funny and it seem like the type of thing I would do.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

You made a passive aggressive post after I got a sixer that I responded to in DMs and then apologized when I was wrong.

The point is this thread is absolutely full of passive aggressive posters that dog pile. It's got a reputation for a reason.

Maybe just don’t do any of that stuff to begin with

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Maybe don't be a passive aggressive jerk and then act surprised when people respond in kind

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm still partial to the Unfriended movies. They're deeply loving dumb, but in a very fun way. Any movie where a dude puts his own hand in a blender deserves at least some respect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Maybe don't be a passive aggressive jerk and then act surprised when people respond in kind

You’ve been aggressive about hereditary and other ari aster movies since you’ve been here. No one likes that. It’s unpleasant and gets people angry and does indeed lead to people either being rude to you here or elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheKingslayer posted:

Megan is Missing is gross and bad and about the internet