Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Here's another "life hack": If you can't walk where you need to go, you can take a bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Here's another "life hack": If you can't walk where you need to go, you can take a bus

i simply take the subway

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I simply walk to where I need to go but I guess over a fifth of American households need a shitload of cars.

i'm guessing this is an artifact of housing prices leading to young adults still living with their parents well into their 20s

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jabor posted:

i'm guessing this is an artifact of housing prices leading to young adults still living with their parents well into their 20s

yeah exactly. when my younger sister and brother were both living with my parents they had 4 cars because all four of them were working full time.

Apr 7, 2003

Jabor posted:

yep, co-worker of mine back in 2012 or so had both of his sons living with him in an exurb ~20 miles from the job centers here. He bought a car from me cash for his kids and already had four cars.

Why he would continue to spend the money to own five cars rather than tell his kids to just go live where their loving jobs were (rents in the city were dirt cheap at the time) is beyond me.

Apr 7, 2003

Dude straight up wrote a $11K check to me for a car so his son could keep commuting three hours every day from Elwood City PA to Pittsburgh and back instead of just getting an apartment in town.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

which is a return to normal, really

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I share a reasonable sized car with my wife

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh my god twenty five whole cents. since I assume whoever runs that account eats at least five burgers a week that’s almost seventy dollars per year stolen by big woke

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

big earthquake. family seems safe though

tsunami could be pretty bad for okinawa

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

7.4 jesus

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

saw people saying there were multiple 7.0 aftershocks

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the Nordics have minimum wage at like US$25 and their maccas and poo poo is cheaper than here lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the Nordics have minimum wage at like US$25 and their maccas and poo poo is cheaper than here lol

sounds like fake news to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how many single occupant households own six vehicles asking for a friend

the bmw and the old ninja are up for sale, excess to my needs

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah but they also have to fund social medicine and stuff so... oh, wait

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

oh my god twenty five whole cents. since I assume whoever runs that account eats at least five burgers a week that’s almost seventy dollars per year stolen by big woke

This will sway public sentiment in states like Pennsylvania (still on the federal minimum wage) to never permit a raise ever again lmao. If the minimum wage goes up a little your fat prick uncle can only eat out four days a week instead of five and that's unacceptable.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

This will sway public sentiment in states like Pennsylvania (still on the federal minimum wage) to never permit a raise ever again lmao. If the minimum wage goes up a little your fat prick uncle can only eat out four days a week instead of five and that's unacceptable.

yeah, people have to eat every day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the rindge and latin school is apparently a pretty good school. in high school we would face their debate team at harvard and they were really good

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I dropped by a convenience store and saw that the entire front page of the nyt printed edition was a full color ad for Cartier of two people standing on a beach

I might actually pick up a copy just for the absurdity of it all

I think the last time I bought a paper it was the onion and I was in college

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

wow so the price of burgers hasn't gone up since 2009? must be nice

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

fart simpson posted:

funniest version of this imo is that americans spend as much time washing dishes as they did before the dishwasher was invented. after they got dishwashers they bought a bunch more cups and plates and crap and started using more of it

finally freed from doing dishes by hand, why wouldn't you then eat more food?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

*notes frantically* ozempic... a counter-invention... to the dishwasher

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

car dealership owners are insanely politically connected with right wing politicians, probably because they know everyone hates them and their position is 100% dependent on state laws remaining in place

why else do you think I said “no good reason?” I know drat well why it won’t happen, though if there were such thing as internal logic to our legal system it should

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr. Nice! posted:

they do, though. this is something that many states do, and i figure if there was a simple commerce clause argument, ford, fca, gm, and especially tesla would have found a way to get federal law written to do so.

tesla has been forced to open up "dealerships" in a lot of states to sell cars, for example, because states do in fact have the power to limit direct to consumer sales even if they're crossing state lines.

you’re really just explaining that there’s no interior logic to the system (which we should all understand by now)

it was what, 2007? when the alcohol sales case was finally successful in the supreme court

it wouldn’t surprise me at all, even after that, if no established automaker’s bean counters wanted to face the dealer revolt upon offering (say) direct-via-web sales across state lines over the next couple decades

only new companies like Tesla were could afford to take on that level of risk, and I bet Tesla was only willing to fight so long as wasn’t more profitable not to

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I dropped by a convenience store and saw that the entire front page of the nyt printed edition was a full color ad for Cartier of two people standing on a beach

I might actually pick up a copy just for the absurdity of it all

I think the last time I bought a paper it was the onion and I was in college

i spent a couple dollars so now imma make you look at this too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
what other wonders are in the gray lady paper of record?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
oh but what about tech news

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
dont forget about brands!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they’re right. it “might” do that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Dude straight up wrote a $11K check to me for a car so his son could keep commuting three hours every day from Elwood City PA to Pittsburgh and back instead of just getting an apartment in town.

the city has taxes!!!!!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

the rindge and latin school is apparently a pretty good school. in high school we would face their debate team at harvard and they were really good

lol

can anyone imagine someone writing that second sentence seriously?

“debate team” sounds like the kind of nerds who’d carry a briefcase and dress in brooks brothers for high school

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

eschaton posted:

you’re really just explaining that there’s no interior logic to the system (which we should all understand by now)

it was what, 2007? when the alcohol sales case was finally successful in the supreme court

it wouldn’t surprise me at all, even after that, if no established automaker’s bean counters wanted to face the dealer revolt upon offering (say) direct-via-web sales across state lines over the next couple decades

only new companies like Tesla were could afford to take on that level of risk, and I bet Tesla was only willing to fight so long as wasn’t more profitable not to

if this was a lawsuit he could win, musk would have filed it years ago. the courts aren’t going to upend the auto industry. states are going to continue to restrict direct to consumer sales and the feds/courts are not going to be able to change that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

if this was a lawsuit he could win, musk would have filed it years ago. the courts aren’t going to upend the auto industry. states are going to continue to restrict direct to consumer sales and the feds/courts are not going to be able to change that.

like I said, all you’re saying here is that there’s no internal consistency, the “why” is that the dealers are too politically powerful

judges are political too

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the why is because we have a dumb federalist system of laws where every state is a sovereign who gets to decide on most things with a federal government that is somewhat limited in what they can dictate.

the feds can’t force states to expand medicaid even though it costs the state nothing.

auto sales is one of those places. they can make sure that there’s no real preference in how the manufacturers send cars to states, but the end user sales inside the state are going to be controlled by the individual state.

my whole point was that the federal government can’t make states change their policies on this ground. if they could, tesla would have pushed them to do so. instead they lobby states to change and set up dealerships in the ones the have to in the meantime.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I simply walk to where I need to go but I guess over a fifth of American households need a shitload of cars.

no public transit worth a poo poo here :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kitfox88 posted:

no public transit worth a poo poo here :shrug:

vote!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

lol

can anyone imagine someone writing that second sentence seriously?

“debate team” sounds like the kind of nerds who’d carry a briefcase and dress in brooks brothers for high school

it was for the national forensic league national championships, which was more than just debate

but yes there were a bunch of dweebs in brooks brothers with suitcases, part of the rules were that you had to wear business attire. i just wore a suit, no briefcase (although it probably would've been useful, i don't remember anyone using an actual briefcase. just backpacks and luggage)

e: if it wasn't clear, people had suitcases because it was the national championships. we were all competing at harvard for 5 days, that might be local for the rindge kids but it was an 8 hour bus ride for us. some kids came from like, texas and california and poo poo, so they probably had to fly in

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it doesn't seem to be working