Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fuschia tude posted:

On the other hand, if a debt is forgiven it is counted as taxable income.

175m payment for a cabinet position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
People: "Donald Trump has screwed over lots of people. But not me, he'll see we can both make a bunch of money together"

Trump: "Immediately screws them over"

People: (Shocked Pikachu face)

(this came from today's story that Trump and the people who set up the Truth Social swap are suing each other, and Trump is trying to argue they should get nothing out of it)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-sues-truth-social-co-founders-says-not-entitled-stock-shares-rcna146106

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

CPColin posted:

I know Twitter, at least, preserves whitespace, so people can do silly text art. Truth Social might do the same thing.

Truth Social is a noncompliant Mastodon instance, and Mastodon does preserve whitespace.

gregday
May 23, 2003

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

lol, rofl https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1775373074671579198

gregday
May 23, 2003

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously we have to invest more in this Abstergo company, they’ve got some very promising projects

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'll be curious if she blinks on this. I have read a lot of motions over the years and I can't recall ever seeing something like this from a non-quack lawyer. Usually you see words like reconsider when talking to a judge, or 'the Court erred' when talking about lower courts.

This is just flat out 'you are wrong on this, we have included what the instruction should be and have also included the instructions you asked for since we are legally bound to do so.' Lawyers usually argue, but this is instructing. Flat out, you are wrong and you will do it right or we will immediately appeal.

Because she is wrong.

I know there is a high bar for removal, but if she pushes ahead with this the state has to appeal, and if they appeal it feels like 'she is wrong on blatant black letter issues of law' might be the time to push for removal.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 3, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Fuschia tude posted:

On the other hand, if a debt is forgiven it is counted as taxable income.

If someone wants to gift Trump money they won't forgive the loans, they just defer collecting until he's dead.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Tuna-Fish posted:

until he's dead.

But he'll be dead, right?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Scratch Monkey posted:

But he'll be dead, right?
Dude's still got enough money in buildings left to collect from his estate eventually maybe

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Islamic Shock posted:

Dude's still got enough money in buildings left to collect from his estate eventually maybe

Those buildings are leveraged to the third sub basement and have been for decades, probably to multiple different lenders. If you think anyone’s getting money out of those properties lol, lmao. It’ll be battle of the banks to see whose lien reigns supreme.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lien mean fighting machine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Liening the Tower of Pisshead.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Oracle posted:

Those buildings are leveraged to the third sub basement and have been for decades, probably to multiple different lenders. If you think anyone’s getting money out of those properties lol, lmao. It’ll be battle of the banks to see whose lien reigns supreme.
Just a quick breakdown to see if I understand how this works right, correct where I'm wrong please- the game is they perpetually take out loans to buy collateral to take out loans in a manner that isn't exactly a Ponzi scheme when on paper Peter and Paul are the same person and the collateral does actually make money

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

I know there is a high bar for removal, but if she pushes ahead with this the state has to appeal, and if they appeal it feels like 'she is wrong on blatant black letter issues of law' might be the time to push for removal.

Cannons MO is not to issue a ruling if it can be avoided and not to issue a firm ruling against Trump if she’s forced to rule.

If Cannon believes her proposed instructions are reasonable given a clear understanding of the laws and EOs and etc… then she simply rules for Trumps motion to dismiss and stays the ruling pending appeal. That’s it.

So, she obviously doesn’t really believe it, because that’s not what she’s done.

Which implies this is either some clever reverse psychology fishing expedition to get Trump to admit these instructions are insane so she can rule against him without contradicting him (LOL) -or- she’s just trying to skirt around the subject and she’ll collect these briefs and circular file them and continue to not rule on anything.

I expect the latter.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Islamic Shock posted:

Just a quick breakdown to see if I understand how this works right, correct where I'm wrong please- the game is they perpetually take out loans to buy collateral to take out loans in a manner that isn't exactly a Ponzi scheme when on paper Peter and Paul are the same person and the collateral does actually make money

The scheme as I understand it is akin to taking out a loan to buy a house, then renting that house out and using the rental income as collateral to take out another loan to buy another house.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Non stop Conservative grievance poo poo is completely insufferable but I'm pretty sure thats the whole point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kale posted:

Non stop Conservative grievance poo poo is completely insufferable but I'm pretty sure thats the whole point.

I mean, Right wing grievance has been how I've known politics all my life and I'm 50. It started in the late 80s and has been not loving stop since. How do they keep buying and consuming it?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's an addiction to fear, rage, and hate

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oracle posted:

whose lien reigns supreme.
:golfclap:

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Trump Legal Troubles:

Oracle posted:

whose lien reigns supreme.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
for better following the syllables?

"Which scheme's lien reigns supreme?"

I would definitely pay for Chairman Kaga to announce the verdict for the Judge.

edit: er.. I mean I would pay for Chiarman Kaga to come in and read the verdict. Not for Chairman Kaga to decide the verdict.

Although that might be on the table too, if he's amenable.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Cimber posted:

I mean, Right wing grievance has been how I've known politics all my life and I'm 50. It started in the late 80s and has been not loving stop since. How do they keep buying and consuming it?

Yes, ever since Reagan stuck a knife into the middle class and contrived a way to blame it on the Democrats.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SirFozzie posted:

for better following the syllables?

"Which scheme's lien reigns supreme?"

I would definitely pay for Chairman Kaga to announce the verdict for the Judge.

edit: er.. I mean I would pay for Chiarman Kaga to come in and read the verdict. Not for Chairman Kaga to decide the verdict.

Although that might be on the table too, if he's amenable.

I’d let him take a spin in place of Cannon for a few weeks, sure.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Reminder that there is an iron chef channel on Pluto.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Reception must be terrible

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Simplex posted:

The scheme as I understand it is akin to taking out a loan to buy a house, then renting that house out and using the rental income as collateral to take out another loan to buy another house.

And while not reality, this is a sound strategy in many games - money earned early on in the game is often more valuable than the same money later on in the game once resources become more available. Being able to get a massive leg up initially can be huge.

Granted, in a game, the issue of everything collapsing like a house of cards is solved by just hitting "New Game" or loading an old save. In reality it ends up with you as a former president that was pissed on by Russian hookers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dirk the Average posted:

And while not reality, this is a sound strategy in many games - money earned early on in the game is often more valuable than the same money later on in the game once resources become more available. Being able to get a massive leg up initially can be huge.

That is…not far from reality.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

In reality it ends up with you as a former president that was pissed on by Russian hookers.

You say this as if it was a bad thing?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack Smith finally loses patience with Judge Cannon.

quote:

The two scenarios posited by the Court, on the other hand, rest on the incorrect premise that a former President is authorized to possess classified information—regardless of whether he has a security clearance or a need to know, and regardless of whether he complies with applicable safeguarding regulations, so long as it is contained within a personal record. As a result, both of the Court’s scenarios are fundamentally flawed and any jury instructions that reflect those scenarios would be error. Nevertheless, as directed by the Court, the Government below provides jury instructions for each of these two legally erroneous scenarios.
Scenario (a): The Jury Is Incorrectly Instructed that the Defendant Is Authorized to Possess Any Personal Record, Regardless of Classification, and the Jury Is Then Asked to Determine Whether Each Document Is Personal or Presidential

Scenario (b): The Jury Is Incorrectly Instructed that the Defendant Is Authorized to Possess Any Record that He Designated as Personal, and Is Further Incorrectly Instructed that, by Failing to Transfer the Charged Documents to NARA, the Defendant Made the Unreviewable Decision to Designate the Charged Documents as Personal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

by Failing to Transfer the Charged Documents to NARA, the Defendant Made the Unreviewable Decision to Designate the Charged Documents as Personal

If an inaction to designate a document as personal automatically designates it as personal then by default ALL government documents are personal records and the onus would then be on the president to designate which documents are government documents before they left office.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

These are my personal national defense plans, go get your own!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Doesn't the P in SIOP mean personal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Jack Smith finally loses patience with Judge Cannon.

That is a very assertive submission to the court. I’m enjoying it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like there were some errors in his bond.
What are the odds he actually tried to pull some sketchy poo poo?

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1775671564647727180

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 4, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who amongst us have never written a bad 175M dollar check?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

That is a very assertive submission to the court. I’m enjoying it.

Yeah, it’s an easy read. Highly recommended.

I like the part where DoJ prints as part of the jury instructions the definitions of presidential and personal records according to the PRA and then says “regardless of the definitions I just read you …”

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Wayne Knight posted:

Reminder that there is an iron chef channel on Pluto.

and all the english dubbed are on youtube too (filmrise).

I was sad to see two iron chefs have passed since them (Masahiko Kobe (Italian) and Chen Kenichi (Chinese)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OgNar posted:

Looks like there were some errors in his bond.
What are the odds he actually tried to pull some sketchy poo poo?

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1775671564647727180

"On the space that said "do not write in this space" you wrote "okay.""