Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If all else fails you can use poetics to get augmented comedy on DT's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't recommend waiting for Dawntrail unless you intend to take a break after finishing the base Endwalker expansion, since the patch dungeons and trials do have a light gear check that your level 89 job gear won't cover, and level cap dungeons stop giving you a freebie piece of gear for your job on completion.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cleretic posted:

There's not engaging with a mechanic out of stubbornness, and there's not engaging with a mechanic because it doesn't seem like it's actually worth using. And I think for a lot of people--definitely for myself-- it just didn't look like an essential mechanic, because it isn't. And if we're all coming in with our own established rotations and game plans, it kinda needs to feel essential for it to feel worth breaking from that.

You consistently preface your opinions with statements with the bolded part to promote them into something closer to objective fact, and are routinely challenged and proven incorrect on these sentiments. If you can't see the worth in spending a maximum of two GCDs on an attack or a dodge-and-attack that deals 8-10x your regular damage and it doesn't break your combo, then you are choosing to not interact with the mechanic out of stubbornness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

not to mention we're level 50 for the fight right? it's not like there are a lot of other buttons to be pushing

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also it's just not what anyone who's played the game would think. Any other time you're given a unique skill or duty action it's necessary and incredibly useful for the fight. Why would this one be different? Why would you assume that?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
the devs really expected the player to break their established game plans and rotations in order to take no damage + deal bonus damage. unforgivable

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There's still Garuda-tempered people out there who are still a danger. Also, like, if Garuda is summoned by anyone, even if it's a legitimate way, it's still not a good thing. You're not summoning Garuda to clean up your lawn.

Says you. Where else are you going to get a leaf blower that efficient?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

No mechanic is essential because the healers can just rez me and the other players can just DPS. Therefore I refuse to engage with them and stand there in the trial motionless performing no actions except autoattacks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Took about 6 and a half minutes on White Mage, and I both messed up the dodge a few times (as in, dodging out of the attack radius so it didn't trigger the counter) and didn't use Rising Flames for a little bit when I should have been slamming it on cooldown, so I'm sure it can be done faster. Mostly, though, I thought the fight could have stood being slightly more chaotic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Martman posted:

not to mention we're level 50 for the fight right? it's not like there are a lot of other buttons to be pushing

Yeah, I played as Warrior because I was banking on good self-sustain if I struggled with the duty mechs, and then... oops

On the plus side, the duty mechs were extremely useful and intuitive, so everything went fine!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The weirdest thing for me in the crossover quest is when they mention Garuda for Clive to hear. (EW spoilers) By now the tribes already know how to do the proper summons for non-problematic primals, why is Garuda a problem again? well okay it's garuda but still

It’s a level 50 quest so the crossover quest happens during 2.x

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It was fun to do the ifrit closer and book slam sword strike all the time rather than just in ifrit phase

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This duty brought in mechanics from an entirely different genre of game for the crossover event, how was I supposed to know they wanted me to use them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should upgrade Dancer's dash to work like Dodge. Use it at the last second and you get a powerful hit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I did think the dodging was very fun and would like to see it pop up in at least more solo duties

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

They should upgrade Dancer's dash to work like Dodge. Use it at the last second and you get a powerful hit.

eeeeh this is like a fun event thing but largely tying movement abilities to damage is not ideal

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

*Wandering Minstrel looks directly at the camera*

Did you know that the critically acclaimed single player game Final Fantasy XVI is available on PS5 and coming to PC later this year, and now has the Echoes of the Fallen and The Rising Tide DLC with no restrictions on using the dodge mechanic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

eeeeh this is like a fun event thing but largely tying movement abilities to damage is not ideal

*stares at you in Tank and Dragoon*

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Sorry not-YoshiP but by the time the game comes out on pc this event will be but a vague memory and with the rate cool games have been coming out lately you'll struggle to grab my attention without FF7R level hype.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was thinking during the Ifrit fight that it'd be very cheeky and cool if they're secretly showcasing Viper utility.

Making the ability so crucial it needs to be used on cooldown not so much but a bonus for good timing and a dash/gap closer otherwise would be cool. Kind of like MNK's five-sided star except you'd actually use it. ... I try to watch for FSS opportunities so much, I like the idea, but...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
classic Cleretic moment

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

*stares at you in Tank and Dragoon*

yeah it sucks for them too

but I mean like there's a reason red mage got a non-backflip option that does as much damage as their backflip, or ninja's raiton charge no longer being a charge or monk now having a non-damaging utility movement ability. I would not be surprised if post-rework dragoon had a non-damaging jump that moves location and the others being made to work like normal jump/high jump in that it bounces you back to where you were.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My issue with Cleretic is that a lot of the time I agree with them but the way they put things is so antagonistic and absolutist and then everyone dunks on the idea instead of the person.

If you want the player to use a mechanic all the time, don't have special "it's time to use the mechanic" tells only some of the time. It trains them to look for the tell instead of looking for opportunities to use it. If it even occurs to them at all it only takes one missed timing to decide "I guess it doesn't work on those" and now the fight's just longer and more frustrating. The duty was neat and fun, but 75% of the duties in this game feel like they're going on too long even when you're doing them properly and missing half the dodge damage opportunities didn't help.

Also, maybe it was just my Old Eyes combined with bad luck to be doing it at night in-game but "spot what's unusual" when a guy's in a black outfit with black hair in an area with dark blue rocks and dark bushes took me a while. In general the event was fine but the Noctis event really set the bar of what to expect from this sort of thing and this was more Clive Genericman. Even the FF11 event was better, because there the character from another game with memory loss was the driving force.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

My issue with Cleretic is that a lot of the time I agree with them but the way they put things is so antagonistic and absolutist and then everyone dunks on the idea instead of the person.

If you want the player to use a mechanic all the time, don't have special "it's time to use the mechanic" tells only some of the time.

The issue with that is I think the take is also bad and I think you're seeing a tutorialization for the mechanic and a reminder for people that need it as signaling for the only times you're meant to use it. Like the combat dialogue and barks you get in solo duties telling you to take care of something or ignore specific targets even if you're already complying with them. It's call outs that exist to try and nudge along people that are struggling or not paying too much attention.

And even that doesn't matter because her own post she didn't use it at all so your point is a separate new argument.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 3, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like this one more than the last mechanic for a FF crossover because at least this one doesn't have a 'press the button at the correct time or you wipe and have to redo it again' thing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I feel like the actions weren't very satisfying to use visually/aurally. They really didn't feel like they were hitting very hard.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Drill/etc on MCH.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kazy posted:

I feel like the actions weren't very satisfying to use visually/aurally. They really didn't feel like they were hitting very hard.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Drill/etc on MCH.

I miss mercy stroke and assassinate every day

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I can’t wait for DT so that I can do fellest cleave along with feller cleave and fell cleave, fell cleave and fell cleave

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I know getting excited for new classes is a bit of a fool's errand before the Job Action trailer, but I do want more summons for SMN.

And maybe just give me Vergil's Judgment Cut End for the Ogi Namikiri upgrade for SAM.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

To change the topic a bit from endless Cleretic discussion, I've done my first TT Tournament only with real players via matchmaking instead of some matches and then slamming myself against an NPC...

1754 points with 7 wins and 13 draws/losses. Which puts me at rank 3 right now until the pros/win traders start comming but I might actually get top 20 and I get 3 card packs. Turns out players giving the same points as Stag on a draw and 40 more points on a match counts for something despite all my complaining, huh! I'll probably just try and see if I get 2-3 player wins and do NPCs for future tournaments though, it was nervewracking specially when every time my 5* got swapped with a 3* meant I had to play for the draw.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

summoners level 100 ability should be summoning moogle king

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

gay devil posted:

Summoners can only summon primals, not actual gods

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gay devil posted:

Pictomancer LB3. With music.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man the 16 event just makes me feel sad about not getting a Stranger of Paradise event. Maybe it's for the best, not sure 14 could do Jack justice.

Urianger opens his mouth to say something
Jack: I don't give a gently caress

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tekopo posted:

I can’t wait for DT so that I can do fellest cleave along with feller cleave and fell cleave, fell cleave and fell cleave

what if... 8th fell cleave

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gay devil posted:

big rainbow carby

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wonder if they'd do hydaelyn/zodiark for summoner or if that's a step too far

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

Man the 16 event just makes me feel sad about not getting a Stranger of Paradise event. Maybe it's for the best, not sure 14 could do Jack justice.

Urianger opens his mouth to say something
Jack: I don't give a gently caress

they don’t want to have to change the game’s rating to M and a Jack that doesn’t say gently caress would be a truly sad display

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Clive not saying gently caress is already pushing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mirror buttons of Ramuh, Leviathan and Shiva but only at level 100 so once again the class transforms at a level cap.

Haha, you know what Sage needs? Just launch an extra noulith set to orbit a target as a literal satelite.

Go nuts, Square!