Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Open Source Idiom posted:

desperately searching "easter island horror film" so I can win an internet competition

I remember when a Vietnamese horror film finally hit streaming during one of the challenges. We fell on it like starving wolves because none of us had seen one from Vietnam.

And on another note, the Salem's Lot remake's apparently going to streaming despite getting raves from the test screenings. I'm a bit disappointed in that, but dammit, I wanna see the movie. From what I've heard they've got it set in the 70s and hits the ambiance perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I get to see First Omen tomorrow morning and then I do Panic Fest for the next week :hellyeah:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I recently watched the insanely lesbian black-comedy detective series Deadloch out of Australia and it kicked rear end.

is there a funny Aussie horror I could watch that touches on class and race or whatever? (almost certainly, but you know what it is and I don’t, so tell me please.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

an identity politics themed Australian horror comedy might be the most niche request i have ever seen and now im on the hunt to find one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

I recently watched the insanely lesbian black-comedy detective series Deadloch out of Australia and it kicked rear end.

is there a funny Aussie horror I could watch that touches on class and race or whatever? (almost certainly, but you know what it is and I don’t, so tell me please.)

Going to see if I can track this series down. Sounds good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Might as well continue the religious horror theater going, so I’ve got a ticket for an afternoon showing of The First Omen this Sunday

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

an identity politics themed Australian horror comedy might be the most niche request i have ever seen and now im on the hunt to find one

Ugh, don't bother. If you've seen one you've seen 'em all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

goth smoking cloves posted:

It's fine, it's a little slow for a 90 minute film but not annoyingly so.

I didn't find it particularly scary and I felt like it was really easy to figure out what was happening early on, ends on a high note though

Thank you

I’m definitely seeing something this weekend so I wanted to see what

First Omen it is

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm sure it exists and I'm just not sure what it is, but Housebound is a blast of a horror-comedy with a fun protagonist. Gerard Johnstone is from NZ though. M3GAN has Johnstone's sharp sense of humor throughout as well but it's US-based. There's Black Sheep, a fun little creature feature about science going too far. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is not horror but it's a great comedy about two drag queens and a trans woman in a bus going through the Outback.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 4, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

An Indonesian, Malaysian or Filipino film being called POSSESSION and not having any actual demonic possession in it would be simply ridiculous.

Sure but it’s just funny as hell to go from this extremely thick allegorical film to what looks like a straight ahead possession film.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

dorium posted:

Sure but it’s just funny as hell to go from this extremely thick allegorical film to what looks like a straight ahead possession film.

I need to see how the main actor handles a rocking chair before passing judgment.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm sure it exists and I'm just not sure what it is, but Housebound is a blast of a horror-comedy with a fun little Gerard Johnstone is from NZ though. M3GAN has Johnstone's sharp sense of humor throughout as well but it's US-based. There's Black Sheep, a fun little creature feature about science going too far. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is not horror but it's a great comedy about two drag queens and a trans woman in a bus going through the Outback.

I love Housebound! Black Sheep was a big let down for me, though, it came at the nadir of both the zombie boom and the monkey-cheese boom and felt a little too indebted to both.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Disco Pope posted:

I love Housebound! Black Sheep was a big let down for me, though, it came at the nadir of both the zombie boom and the monkey-cheese boom and felt a little too indebted to both.

I watched it for a challenge a year or two ago and I'd say it mostly aged okay. Having some distance from those tropes being quite so pervasive helped it a lot so it came off (to me at least) as relatively well-intentioned and charming rather than bland and cash-in-ish. Not good but firmly in the if-you-had-a-rainy-afternoon-to-kill zone.

Except for the portrayal of the female animal rights-activist/love interest who is pretty poorly sketched out and reverses what little characterization she had in order to fall for the protagonist. That part stuck out to me as waaaaay more dated than the zombie stuff or the comedy. Very token And This Is the Wo-Man stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I dont have one for race but there's one for class and gender with a woman having a repairman coming into her apartment but I can't remember the name of it. It's super interesting

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Razorback kicks rear end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont have one for race but there's one for class and gender with a woman having a repairman coming into her apartment but I can't remember the name of it. It's super interesting

The Plumber by Peter Weir (haven't actually seen it but i've heard it's great, hard to go wrong with Peter Weir)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

Razorback kicks rear end.

Watched it last night it loving rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Plumber by Peter Weir (haven't actually seen it but i've heard it's great, hard to go wrong with Peter Weir)

That's it! Yeah it came up in the horror bracket thread a year or two ago and knocked my socks off

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, this also means it's time for my obligatory reccomendation of Night of Fear (1972), a 50 minute Australian movie originally made for television that feels like Australia's answer to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Hills Have Eyes, except it came out before either of them. Outstanding horror film. You can find it on Tubi.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 4, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Badass

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they called the sixth omen the first omen

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they called the sixth omen the first omen

you're gonna be really pissed when i tell you how many movies came after Final Destination

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you're gonna be really pissed when i tell you how many movies came after Final Destination

At least the one that's called "The" Final Destination is the final Final Destination

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lmao I accidentally edited someone's post.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason posted:

thats a rite of passage

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, this also means it's time for my obligatory reccomendation of Night of Fear (1972), a 50 minute Australian movie originally made for television that feels like Australia's answer to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Hills Have Eyes, except it came out before either of them. Outstanding horror film. You can find it on Tubi.

I'm checking this out tonight. 50 minutes 1970s , hell yeah

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Honestly I'm impressed that you folks don't just get drunk and edit the word "butts" into people's posts at intervals.

theres a big warning message telling you that it isnt your post and they keep making it bigger and more red but it doesnt work

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a big warning message telling you that it isnt your post and they keep making it bigger and more red but it doesnt work

Thank you for your service.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It only shows up if you are on a laptop or web browser. If you are in the app it doesn't appear.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

The something awful mod baboon rear end edit warning

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Or how many Friday the 13th movies they made after The Final Chapter.

Doltos posted:

Watched it last night it loving rules

Hell yeah it does. That shot of the entire half of the house being dragged away, including the TV staying on is one of my favourite ever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Is it actually good? I’ve been seeing some mixed things recently
It's okay. The kind of thing I don't regret moviepassing I guess.

Just rewatched The Dirties and The People Under the Stairs and some real doozies there. On rewatch I love the (murderous) Looney Tunes physicality of the latter, especially whenever Everett McGill is on screen, crashing around hooting and hollering, getting punched in the dick, etc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first purge

No not the first purge, the first purge

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they keep making purge movies and yet i havent watched any. curious

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Not only were there a bunch more after that, there was another Friday the 13th with "final" in the name that still had movies after it : Jason Goes to Hell : the Final Friday.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

good recs all. I’m watching those shits for sure. (and yeah Housebound is fab—might have to rewatch it too)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Going to see if I can track this series down. Sounds good.

it’s on Am*zon Prime! please do watch it, I know it won’t a bunch of AACTAs but I want lots of people outside of Oceania to see it so we get a season two (and Erin I think you in particular would dig it)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they keep making purge movies and yet i havent watched any. curious

The 2nd one was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's a charming quaintness to that, it's a relic from a bygone era when producers would actually say to themselves "It's been four films, this Jason thing feels played out, let's go in a different direction". These days they never even have those thoughts, the default position is just to continue milking the cash cow until it stops producing. At least Halloween and Friday the 13th gave it a shot.