Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

that's stupid, they should incentivize people to not drink hcfs

then it gets into the problem of only taxing cheaper drinks and avoiding taxing giant half syrup coffee drinks because it uses the "acceptable" sugar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

why do you hate america

its a garbage country filled with garbage people that pushes around the entire world to further the capitalist agenda

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

second most powerful country, after america, china, russia, germany, india, a ton of others, and france

they're not even the second most powerful country in the isles

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

then it gets into the problem of only taxing cheaper drinks and avoiding taxing giant half syrup coffee drinks because it uses the "acceptable" sugar

so like, those liquid sugar shots you can get at dunkin or added in starbucks doesn't count? lol that's even worse. wtf philly

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

so like, those liquid sugar shots you can get at dunkin or added in starbucks doesn't count? lol that's even worse. wtf philly

what? No. it hits every way of sweetening regardless of what is used (sugar, hfcs, agave nectar, Boy Chevron's Pure Petroleum based sweetener) so the moment those sugar shots go in it counts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if we're just wishing for solutions that'll never be just just adjust farm subsidies to prioritize more nutritional products. or rather deprioritize hfcs

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah and its not like philly can really affect that directly so they manage to get the money out of children and tourists (since any native philly resident should be well versed in smuggling liquids in from delaware)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

tax subsidies for cold brew manufacturers :hmmyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

their poll numbers right now are hilarious

too bad when labour wins it’s going to be loving starmer in charge who is like to the right of joe biden probably

in philly its 1.5c on every oz of sweetened liquid regardless of how its sweetened (so diet cola doesn't get a pass) so its a lot more egalitarian and angered a lot more people but also has managed to survive almost a decade despite really pissing off the soda companies and being the biggest issue in the mayoral primary right after it was implemented

does this include coffee shops though? if not it’s still exactly the same issue that sagebrush pointed out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ah no it doesn’t so it’s still a poor tax if slightly better written

philly posted:

Examples include soda (regular and diet); non-100%-fruit drinks; sports drinks; sweetened water; energy drinks; pre-sweetened coffee or tea; and non-alcoholic beverages intended to be mixed into an alcoholic drink.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

its a garbage country filled with garbage people that pushes around the entire world to further the capitalist agenda

tbh theres a lot of the world we cant push around any more lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i like americans, but i hate their government!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

ah no it doesn’t so it’s still a poor tax if slightly better written

its a regressive on account of it being fixed amount per oz. they could do it as a percentage like the do for booze but libs still gonna lib

it does hit coffee shops and others though

philly posted:

Any non-alcoholic syrup or other concentrate that is intended to be used in the preparation of a beverage

you can get around it by using powdered sweetener but that's gonna be way more expensive than a few pumps of syrup which is what most coffee places will use. its all vague enough so im guessing "how good you are at gladhanding the mayors office" is a significant loophole as well

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

mediaphage posted:

their poll numbers right now are hilarious

too bad when labour wins it’s going to be loving starmer in charge who is like to the right of joe biden probably

i had to check what was going on and yes this is very lol

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_rrose_20240402.html posted:

If the Reform Party holds its twelve percent support, it won't win any seats at the forthcoming general election. However, because nine-tenths of Reform support is drawn from former Conservative voters, this will deliver more than 100 Tory seats to the Labour Party.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

its a regressive on account of it being fixed amount per oz. they could do it as a percentage like the do for booze but libs still gonna lib

it does hit coffee shops and others though

you can get around it by using powdered sweetener but that's gonna be way more expensive than a few pumps of syrup which is what most coffee places will use. its all vague enough so im guessing "how good you are at gladhanding the mayors office" is a significant loophole as well

no, it won’t hit coffee shops. the reg pulled directly from phillys website says it applies to presweetened and/or prepackaged. beverages. so yes maybe starbucks charges an extra quarter if you buy a bottled frappuccino from the grab and go case but it doesn’t apply to a frappuccino you get made in store

inquirer posted:

Some beverages are exempt, including baby formula; products that contain more than 50 percent milk, fresh fruit, or vegetables; and unsweetened drinks to which the buyer adds sugar, or requests that the seller adds sugar.

also lol because the tax doesn’t hit “100% fruit” beverages which probably means using apple or grape juice concentrate like they all do to say “no sugar” on the labels won’t count either

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

can't get enough brothers "karamov"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the art of war is loving lame and they always put it on every list

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

1984 is the only thing on there that it's worth reading.

dialogues can be interesting to study, like with some commentary and pondering, but reading it is basically incorrect use. meditations is basically wine mom advice for life quips. the prince and art of war are similar how they're basically little lists of advice written specifically for idiots who might risk others lives.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1984 sucked

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
It was a pretty banner year for me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, it's fine. it has gotten a ridiculous cultural significance, but it is short, fun, and does make a point. and is genuinely pretty quotable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

the art of war is loving lame and they always put it on every list

look it's very important for modern man to know how much wheat to bring to a seige

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

1984 is great; just remember it’s 75 years old so obv it’s going to read differently

still though lol at its inclusion because 99% of the chucklefucks that make these lists are the type to get into extreme governmental overreach like banning queers and abortion

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i don't know, i think everyone should read the water margin

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jonny 290 posted:

why do you hate america

wait, do you not?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's a personal failing that i never became multilingual, but the fact remains that if you're stuck speaking english, this is the least stinky turd in the litter box

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the prince is also a hilarious inclusion because it's basically a comedy piece, also all the actual advice, such as it is, is specifically about italy during the city-state period

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

none of those assholes read any of them i’m sure. it’s all performative masculinity

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
1984 is good. I haven't read it since high school though so maybe it's not as good as I remember. I should probably read it again.

Having brothers karamazov on there is lol. I made it like 20 pages into that before noping out because of how depressing it was. No thanks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

none of those assholes read any of them i’m sure. it’s all performative masculinity

I'm reminded of that scene in the venture brothers where the substitute philosophy teacher just "leaves it to professor zack snyder" and puts on 300

e: crime and punishment is a way better dostoyevsky

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Brothers Karamov

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jordang peterson says all men should read the brothers karamov. i guess that’s why it’s on the list

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i could come up with a better Dudes Rock reading list than easily

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

post hole digger posted:

i could come up with a better Dudes Rock reading list than easily

mice and men for sure. those guys were the best of friends, i assume forever, never finished it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it's a personal failing that i never became multilingual, but the fact remains that if you're stuck speaking english, this is the least stinky turd in the litter box

loving lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

re: art of war, it's very funny that modern failsons miss a very important part of the book that past failsons seemed to to understand, that you have to treat the people that work for you like actual people sometimes

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's more funny that the cover shown has japanese armour

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

They should have the 'Brothers Karamov' into a wojack too. seems like one of the crying or depressed ones would have been an obvious call there. unusually shoddy work for 4chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tfw no папа