Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol i didn't realize the guy that first noticed the xz supply chain attack was an msft coder

https://theintercept.com/2024/04/03/linux-hack-xz-utils-backdoor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a couple of u were asking about this

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/kde-advises-extreme-caution-after-theme-wipes-linux-users-files/amp/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

and also how are multi monitor support and whatever the Linux version of Wine

multi monitor support is fine, unless you're using an arm macbook

if you use clear it's pretty easy to install wine. just `swupd bundle-add wine`

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also clear (and most other distros) use gnome by default but gnome sucks rear end. it uses a bunch of desktop conventions you won't be familiar with because nothing else works that way (because it's stupid and sucks). you want to install kde

and yes it is incredibly customizable but if you are capable of not fiddling with the settings then it's completely fine to use with the defaults. adding a theme will likely switch poo poo (i.e. menu bars, start menu/launcher, taskbars etc.) around anyway

you can install themes, cursors, sound packs etc. straight from the control panel

e: which is something you can't do with gnome. gnome is not very customizable at all, so you'll basically be stuck with its defaults unless you feel like editing a bunch of files manually and manually downloading and installing janky extensions that may or may not work with that specific point release (i.e. it's a crapshoot. themes/extensions for say, gnome 3.4.2 [or whatever, idk what version of gnome is current b/c i don't care] sometimes won't work with 3.4.3, sometimes they will)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 4, 2024

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

speedrun your linux journey by starting with nixos

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just want my window control on the left, as god intended

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
linux is fine. I like it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asleep Style posted:

speedrun your linux journey by starting with nixos

good 2nd choice after gentoo. w/ nixos you can finally have repeatable haskell builds

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

linux is fine. I like it.

it's the one desktop os that isn't getting actively worse with every release

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
slackware ftw

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

slackware ftw

fun fact: microsoft bob was also named for the church of the subgenius

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I just want my window control on the left, as god intended

with kde you can do that in the control panel, just slide them over to the left

of course if you do you'll probably want a macos theme. almost all of those will add a bar to the top but it might not be what you expect, some just plop a taskbar there. so you can look in the widgets control panel (or just right click on a widget, properties, then "find more widgets") for a global menu

you'll probably want to install latte-dock too then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also gnome can be configured to be more macos-like too but it's still garbage lol. the gnome panel isn't well suited to being a dock replacement but thats what you get

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

it's the one desktop os that isn't getting actively worse with every release

yep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I switched to gnome from kde many many years ago because kde was all kinds of hosed up at the time, i guess its better now? idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every time i have tried 'switching the window manager' or whatever on a linux computer, everything broke and i just got frustrated and reached for windows 2000.iso again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that was probably around kde 3. it had a real stupid design back then (and i switched to gnome for that reason too), but 5/plasma is much much better, the default theme is unique obviously but the paradigm is very similar to windows

in comparison modern gnome just sucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

every time i have tried 'switching the window manager' or whatever on a linux computer, everything broke and i just got frustrated and reached for windows 2000.iso again

if you use clear you can just switch them on the login screen. most other distros do something similar

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

i tried using i3 once and then i found out that if you want it to actually work you also need to install something else so you can actually control it and then i just went back to GNOME

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lxde

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if i was gonna switch itd probably be xfce

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lxde is kinda nice too but afaik not in active development, and it has some pretty rough edges

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i like xfce a lot too but it gets crapified by relying on gtk/gnome, which is a complete clusterfuck. it just recently switched to gtk3 and gtk4 is on the verge of being replaced already

kde can do everything it can, better

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk what sucks about gnome, it suits my needs pretty well. I do like the "everything is svg" thing in KDE tho which is why i picked it up the first time (svg is good)

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

rotor posted:

xfce is the best

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i like xfce a lot too but it gets crappified by relying on gtk/gnome,

Ya fair enough but I just really like how simple it is. It just works. No fancy extra crap.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I am building OpenWRT on a Rockchip RK3399 SoC. It has:
2x Cortex-A72 1.8 GHz performance cores
4x Cortex-A53 1.4 GHz low power cores

What number should I use for make -jN ?

Running nprocs says 6, but that seems suspect re. the ARM big.LITTLE architecture.

Anyway, I'm doing some timing runs for N = 2, 4, 6 to see what's fastest.

The system has 4 GB of RAM and NVME storage, so hopefully it's not i/o bound. Lol that you need 2 GB of RAM in your router to run the build env.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
why build on the target directly? openwrt-the-project is pretty dang good about providing cross-compiler toolchains (or building from scratch if that's your thing), i build everything on x86_64 and target a bunch of different platforms

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's not the target. The target is a Qualcomm Atheros MIPS 24k SoC.

Look, I have a lot of random ARM SoCs kicking around, and this is the Linux thread.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'd try -j7. if it chugs do -j3

(isn't it supposed to be jobs = cpus + 1?)

e: actually i'm not sure if doing e.g. -j3 (or even -j2) would limit it to the two a72 cores. i don't think you can control that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2024

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

hbag posted:

i tried using i3 once and then i found out that if you want it to actually work you also need to install something else so you can actually control it and then i just went back to GNOME

i3 owns. skill issue

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger posted:

the skills issue megathread

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ryanrs posted:

It's not the target. The target is a Qualcomm Atheros MIPS 24k SoC.

Look, I have a lot of random ARM SoCs kicking around, and this is the Linux thread.

hell yeah, now that's esprit de linux

good luck! i have no clue how the heterogeneous cpu situation is handled these days re: scheduling, hopefully linux is smart enough to do the right thing but who knows

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

post hole digger posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there's actually a different, real linux megathread but it's old as poo poo, we should just designate this as the new one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
motion seconded

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

cool

I'll post my build times in ~6 hours when the first run finishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&perpage=40&pagenumber=1080&noseen=1 the old thread I last read 18,000 poasts ago. good stuff!