Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park.

Anyway, to make this post less embarassing, got my ticket for The First Omen tomorrow!

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Cross posting this from the recommendation thread

I’m looking for Coast to Coast AM style horror movies. That’s horror movies that cover the same sort of topics, (aliens, skinwalkers, secret government projects, etc) or that give you that same feeling where the night is deep and full of mystery.

So far I’ve thought of
The Vast of Night
The McPherson Tape
Legend of Boggy Creek
Phoenix Forgotten

The good ones were already said but Ill throw out one I didn’t love but did have the vibe but Monsters if California is all about that kind of stuff. I just wish it stuck the landing better

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, did anyone mention Incident at Loch Ness? I remember that being fun

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Between this and Immaculate I'm so loving here for great religious horror being back

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1772713170798288988

Embargo’s up. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_first_omen 87% :getin: Highest rated one in the series

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hell yeah, excited to see it tomorrow.

And I thought of a good one for the challenge thread: A movie produced by Roger Corman.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell yeah, excited to see it tomorrow.

And I thought of a good one for the challenge thread: A movie produced by Roger Corman.

That's not fair.

He's only produced like 1038 films

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, did anyone mention Incident at Loch Ness? I remember that being fun

It is but I wouldn't say it's got quite the same Art Bell vibes. For one thing, they managed to make a movie with both Nessie and Werner Herzog and neither of them is the spooky monster

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Greg Sestero's new film is gonna be super Art Bell heavy. It's about a radio host during an alien abduction? or talks about an alien abduction? Im not sure. Im super excited.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
On the one hand I’m glad people get the vibe I’m going for and have suggestions, but I am a little disappointed that I’ve seen almost all of them already.

Thanks everyone, I’ll check out Gags the Clown.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

however he did write the song Halloween

Yeah, I remember.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
In our discussion of Australian Horror, I forgot to mention Relic (2020), which I thought had some pretty unique elements and definitely worth a watch. It's currently streaming on Shudder.

The best way I could summarize is the Taking of Deborah Logan with some elements lifted from House of Leaves. If that's enough to pique you're interest I'd recommend skipping the following trailer and going in blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhZDQkq0bw

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Gripweed posted:

Cross posting this from the recommendation thread

I’m looking for Coast to Coast AM style horror movies. That’s horror movies that cover the same sort of topics, (aliens, skinwalkers, secret government projects, etc) or that give you that same feeling where the night is deep and full of mystery.

So far I’ve thought of
The Vast of Night
The McPherson Tape
Legend of Boggy Creek
Phoenix Forgotten

If you're watching The McPherson Tape make sure to check out the made-for-TV remake Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County.

It's honestly way better than it has any right to be (it's a TV movie from 1998). It really nails the feeling you have being in a rural home (be it a cabin, acreage, etc.) at night wondering what could be out there and makes the most of it's small budget. It's really a good example of an original having a great idea but not-so-good execution and getting it right with a remake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Justin Godscock posted:

If you're watching The McPherson Tape make sure to check out the made-for-TV remake Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County.

It's honestly way better than it has any right to be (it's a TV movie from 1998). It really nails the feeling you have being in a rural home (be it a cabin, acreage, etc.) at night wondering what could be out there and makes the most of it's small budget. It's really a good example of an original having a great idea but not-so-good execution and getting it right with a remake.

I watched that when it first aired on TV and it gave me a fear of aliens that lasted two or three years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s the better of the two

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gripweed posted:

I watched that when it first aired on TV and it gave me a fear of aliens that lasted two or three years.

Yeah same, every time I closed a door at night I was afraid there would be an alien waiting behind it to get me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien media the wrecked me was some alien doc on god knows what channel but maybe fox that had a little baby who got abducted and was marked with a triangle on their forehead

Then I saw the grey

A few days later me and a friend saw a strange light i the sky that kept zipping and zapping around and so we raided my parents tool shed and grabbed a machete and a rusty rear end saw to go hunt these fuckin aliens

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm old enough to remember Alien Autopsy and being paranoid enough to close the blinds at night because I didn't want to get beamed up. It's a weird 90s fad that kinda got forgotten about our fasciation with aliens (which is why films like ID4 and Men in Black got green-lit I think).

Back to the film: It really came from the Roger Corman school of low-budget filmmaking in that they got some pretty drat good results from what they had to work with.

Like when they come across the alien spaceship in that field and while it does look like a model...it's a pretty convincing model.

Shame they had to show them at the end wearing Spirit Halloween alien costumes because they had a great batting average before that.

Edit: Bringing up Roger Corman made me look him up and he's not only still alive but 98 years old.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 5, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's not a bad movie but Omen 3 was way more bland than I expected. The son of Satan battles a squad of assassin monks in a decrepit castle using lightning magic and that somehow ends up being dull?

On the other hand Sam Neill sweats a lot and gets in some very fun monologues about evil

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm mostly scared of the initial shock of seeing the alien outside my window. After that I'm kicking their skinny rear end for creepin'

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just like to point out again that I will destroy any supernatural creatures or aliens in my presence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Just like to point out again that I will destroy any supernatural creatures or aliens in my presence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I swore I saw a grey as a kid.

Grey aliens have defined so much of my creative motive

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the Kudo Method is the only defence our planet needs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I think it’s the better of the two
I love em both but yeah I'd give the later one the slight edge

It's also the one I saw first if I remember right, as a kid on UPN or something and it scared the poo poo out of me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just a little more polished and the alien effects are better as is the acting

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

On the other hand Sam Neill sweats a lot and gets in some very fun monologues about evil

Sam Neill sweating in In The Mouth of Madness during regular dialogue scenes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HK5000 posted:

In our discussion of Australian Horror, I forgot to mention Relic (2020), which I thought had some pretty unique elements and definitely worth a watch. It's currently streaming on Shudder.

The best way I could summarize is the Taking of Deborah Logan with some elements lifted from House of Leaves. If that's enough to pique you're interest I'd recommend skipping the following trailer and going in blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhZDQkq0bw

I feel like a lot of people slept on Relic but it loving rocks and has an all time last shot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Relic is terrific; probably my favorite of haha the 'analogous to a mental health issue' horror movies that came out lately (Babadook, Lights Out, etc. is that a genre or a trope? i don't know.) saw it while my grandfather was in palliative care with severe dementia and it was spooky, but in the end an actual comfort. it's definitely not comfy horror, but i found it a very empathic movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Psychological Horror is probably the term you are looking for. It's rooted in the fear of losing one's mind or grasp of reality and can include panic someone in a mental health crisis can have.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What other good horror films do the House of Leaves thing? I don't even know what to call it besides like, architectural horror, but I can't even call it a spooky house because that just brings up Gothic horror.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

What other good horror films do the House of Leaves thing? I don't even know what to call it besides like, architectural horror, but I can't even call it a spooky house because that just brings up Gothic horror.

I dunno about films -- maybe Stalker -- but Piranesi's a novella that plays with this.

And there's an excellent horror / stealth videogame, Echo, but I think that's been delisted.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The Night House has some great house-related spooks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

theres a doom wad that captures house of leaves perfectly but you need to know how the Doom engine works to really appreaciate it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

All the talk about Coast to Coast AM's got me listening to the Max Brooks ep again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

All the talk about Coast to Coast AM's got me listening to the Max Brooks ep again.

What a great listen. I tuned into that one totally blind when it aired and it was a fun experience.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a doom wad that captures house of leaves perfectly but you need to know how the Doom engine works to really appreaciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

I feel like this video contextualizes what makes it cool even if you’re not familiar to begin with.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i read House of Leaves and still dont know whether I liked it because its literally 50% one of the coolest, most original horror stories ever written (Navidson Record part) and 50% the most dull story with the most annoying protaganist (Johhny whatever) and the two barely even intersect

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like a lot of people slept on Relic but it loving rocks and has an all time last shot.

Relic's amazing yeah. Filled me with a lot of sadness

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

I feel like this video contextualizes what makes it cool even if you’re not familiar to begin with.

Honestly that video is as good as actually playing it, it shows essentially the entire mod. It's a brilliant mod and a brilliant video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

i read House of Leaves and still dont know whether I liked it because its literally 50% one of the coolest, most original horror stories ever written (Navidson Record part) and 50% the most dull story with the most annoying protaganist (Johhny whatever) and the two barely even intersect

I tried reading it and hated it. It's a pile of wank written by a wanker.