Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we've already established he's in love with Kensuke

offering him up to his sister as a snack was kinda hosed up ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
laios/orc chieftain's sister makes sense and would be cute

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kabru reminds me of every dork who roleplays as a JRPG protagonist and then gets mad when nobody takes them seriously.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s this, Kabru says they don’t take enough interest in other people, which is why they were getting scammed.

And he's right, there was a joke earlier that Laios failed to recognize Kabru even after stumbling over his dead body twice (yet immediately recognized the kobold). His thesis is that Laios simply doesn't care about other people, and therefore would be a terrible person to possess the absolute power hiding in the dungeon. Of course you also have to consider that part of the reason Kabru thinks this is that it's the exact opposite of him, who pays far too much attention to what strangers are doing. And the implication is he thinks he'd be a much better person to trust with power.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Zeruel posted:

kabru's a loving arrogant sociopath
"oh the toudens gave money to their injured party members"
"oh thats nice of them-"
"but the injured party members were faking it and got into illegal manufacturing"
okay? isn't it more likely the party members were not being completely honest with the toudens and just taking their money?
fit to be the dungeon lord my rear end. "boy i hope im there when the mask (that i fabricated in my mind) falls off!!"
new opening nice, new ending crazy good

In addition to the points raised by others on this page, another reason he is negative on the Toudens is that their charity disincentivized those people from exploring the dungeon, as well as enabling them to start criminal activity.

Kabru has this belief that the dungeon should be conquered and its monster population controlled, so that monsters don’t start spilling out and killing people on the surface.

Notice how, when he executed the illusion caster in cold blood, he said “people like you are scaring all the decent folk away”. Anything that is a net negative for his desired dungeon management is enough for him to view you with a negative eye. The way he sees it, either Toudens are gullible morons who’s actions are making things worse, simply indifferent to the fact, or actually nefarious under the surface. The fact that they are among the people closer to solving the dungeon, while not being the correct people to gain this power, in his opinion, just makes him all the more antagonistic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
in order for a laios ship to make any sense the person needs to be either a). a monster or b). another monster weirdo in some way

laios/senshi is acceptable but still not quite right, and while I'm not 100% in on marcille/falin it makes about 10x more sense than laios/marcille

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, Laois/Kabru is his most popular ship, iirc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, Laois/Kabru is his most popular ship, iirc.

As it should be.

People thinking it doesn't make sense to ship Laios with anybody just haven't seen how incredibly gay for Shuro he is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This also ties into the orcs' complaint of "stop wandering around the dungeon that gives you limitless power without thinking about what you'd do if you got given limitless power, idiot".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, this new OP is so delightful. :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Love the new OP.

Kabru's party seem like okay people, his own preconceptions notwithstanding. I like the blond dwarf.

Also cheery ogre-girl!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kabru's ideal for dealing with backstabbing and intrigue and thieves and cutthroats which served him really well this episode.

Of course he's going to have to deal with a grade-A monster fanatic and social idiot if he keeps going down this path.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Also, just so I can put a pin it, the actual source of the curse is some sort of angel themed monster, right? The constant winged lion motif was my first tip off, but the ancient-elf’s golden grimoire covered in wings is my big clue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kabru's party seem like okay people, his own preconceptions notwithstanding.

Mickbell's a scab.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Alan Smithee posted:

i hope kabru's Wile E Coyote rear end keeps tripping into his ACME machinations and he never gets his "revenge"

His party is just stuck at the lake forever constantly getting jumped.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think it'd be a fitting climax to the arc for Kabru to realize he hasn't been dealing with a criminal mastermind but just a really enthusiastic weirdo.

But then it might also be fitting for him to never figure this out and die mad.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
In fairness he's died mad a few times already

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I hate everyone in Kabru's gang except the dog

I kinda feel sorry for samurai guy. Grown man with a nanny is always a bad time.

Nothing but good vibes from the oni girl.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah Kabru would be a pretty cool guy if he wasn't such a hater

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The MV for the new opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qabqhNQS-S0

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I get Griffith vibes from Kabru. It's the way he locks onto his opponent and how he thinks he's better than everyone.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Kabru wants so badly to be the huge brain benevolent mastermind, but instead he's the guy who traumatizes his party mage with illusory fishman kisses and then winks at her. He thinks way too loving much and it causes him to be weird and off-putting as soon as you glimpse his Machiavellian 4D chess bullshit, unlike Laios who is weird and off-putting until you realize he's just an awkward dork who is actually quite sweet and loyal and has never had a single coherent thought unrelated to monsters

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mick is all over that kobold. Like, sir, what services are you paying him for?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Laios can't be allowed to wander this dungeon and claim its power. He's the wrong kind of weirdo.

Unlike me, the right kind of weirdo!"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think kabru is a nice boy with good intentions

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think kabru is a nice boy with good intentions

Disconcertingly good at killing people, though.

Speaking of which, man, this episode didn't have a lot of animation, but the minute or so total of actual fight scene stuff was intense

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
aiming for enemies' weak spots is his special interest

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The_Doctor posted:

Mick is all over that kobold. Like, sir, what services are you paying him for?

Anything he's willing to do for food, which seems to be everything. Including risking his life (and losing it, several times). Poor Kuro.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I liked kabru. I thought the amount of time spent on his party before was weird for how dull they seemed to be but this episode did a good job of selling me on them, or at least on kabru lol

It's cool how he also sees the dungeon as essentially an ecosystem but entirely from a social adventurer-focused perspective. From that perspective he's essentially seeing a rapidly approaching ecological collapse, and not the good kind where the dungeon is conquered. It's really interesting how these complex emergent systems are explained in the story through various different character perspectives that focus in on what they personally would be paying attention to.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

OnimaruXLR posted:

I hate everyone in Kabru's gang except the dog

I kinda feel sorry for samurai guy. Grown man with a nanny is always a bad time.

Nothing but good vibes from the oni girl.

Tade is fun.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Kabru is playing Vampire: The Masquerade when everyone else at the table is playing Dungeon World. :allears:

Also, please don't hate me for this, but I ... don't really see Falin x Marcille as two-sided. Maybe it's just from me coming off of the comic, but Falin always read as platonic with respect as Marcille to me, while Marcille clearly is romantically interested in Falin. This reading makes it quite a bit more tragic, though, I'll admit.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Also, please don't hate me for this, but I ... don't really see Falin x Marcille as two-sided. Maybe it's just from me coming off of the comic, but Falin always read as platonic with respect as Marcille to me, while Marcille clearly is romantically interested in Falin. This reading makes it quite a bit more tragic, though, I'll admit.

the cops are at your door

i don't think you're entirely off-base though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

from what we saw of her after resurrecting her i'm not sure that you couldn't take everything everyone has said about laios wrt romance and apply it to her as well

marcille constantly hitting on falin while inside falin's head she's just thinking "i wonder what treasure bugs taste like" i'm not sure is a reading i personally hold, but it seems valid

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Starting to think more and more about Laios as a Corporal Carrot type.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Toudens are just like that. It's what makes them endearing and exasperating in equal measure.

Also it's nice to see that Laios and his sister are so alike.

Shoehead posted:

This is a good way of looking at him.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shoehead posted:

A werewolf girlfriend would kinda track, yeah

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/churroach/status/1775996505834340699?t=XywSGUeQBMoD4vWe8pNCtw&s=19

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 5, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kabru is a true adventurer - polite, considerate, has a plan to kill everyone he meets

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Kabru has his faults but he is not a bad man. He's a dick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Kabru has his faults but he is not a bad man. He's a dick, though.

after watching the episode Kabru is bad