Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chris James 2 posted:

The First Omen goes insanely hard oh my god

Incredible opening scene, brilliant score, unhinged Ralph Ineson being proven right, Nell Tiger Free giving an incredible performance and a Possession homage (which she did in two takes), a lot of well-done artistic shots (including a reference to the loving Rosemary's Baby poster!)

Don't know if I'm more impressed this is Arkasha Stevenson's first feature-length film, or that this surpassed the actual first Omen for me and was immediately my favorite entry in the series before the final few scenes even hit

Religious horror: having a phenomenal year

Oh, I lost my mind at the Possession homage, it's such a good moment to pick out.

I really can't pick between which I prefer between The First Omen and Immaculate, because every time I think of something one did particularly well, I can think of something from the other that is just as good. Basically, religious horror fans, we're eating real loving well recently.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It sounds odd but one of the quintessential examples of this to me is SUPERSTAR - THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY which somehow sells you on its verisimilitude despite being acted out with Barbie dolls.

Asking the audience to play along with a stylistic conceit is one of the best ways to get them involved!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its real look it up

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it's a great novel.

Check out The Antimemetics Division stuff by QNTM sometime if you haven't already, it touches on similar ideas (though without the big old Jaws pastiche). I've grown to love the idea of creatures that exist only in the noosphere as opposed to ghosts, spirits, spectres; things that can only be illuminated by the way in which our society thinks and describes things, but that are nevertheless somehow alive.

And I just realized that maybe I should be a little suspicious of the statement "I've grown to love the idea" there! Hahaha :tinfoil:

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Kickstarting a film, the site says "Hey, here's another to look at!"

Guitarwolf is trying to make Wild Zero 2?!?!

If you have never seen the first one, it is the best and most batshit zombie-alien-rockabilly-with-a-surprisingly-progressive-message movies I have ever seen.

(I'd post the link, but I don't the rules on such. Note: I am in no way connected to this movie.)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

OH HELL YEAH

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Oh hell yeah!! I like board games but my little brother LOVES them so this is gonna make us both very happy!! ty!!

Nice! It should be on their stand at Spiel in October, so I can hopefully get a demo. Then I'll know whether I can actually recommend it as a game rather than just think "Kvlt will think that's cool", and in plenty of time for you to get a copy by Christmas if you want. These aren't cheap pocket games, they're full size boxes that cost $60 so they're not really impulse buys.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Holy poo poo why don't people talk about Bones more? That rocked.

Like if Sam Raimi and Spike Lee teamed up to make a spooky ghost story that's also about revenge and also about Reagan's America and also about dogs barfing maggots.

Wicked practical effects, iffy CGI, comic relief talking decapitated heads.

So underrated.

Between this and Demon Knight Ernest Dickerson should have gotten way more juice in Hollywood, at least as a horror director.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2024

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e:^ Bones rocks. The Blaxploitation Nightmare on Elm Street I never knew I wanted. Ernest Dickerson is a legend.

Couldn't deal with The First Omen. I think I'm gonna be alone on this one. Attempts to resist being a prequel felt like I was being deceived or jerked around but the on the nose stuff was somehow worse. A real "WTF is this? Ohhhh that's what this is..." disappointment. None of the homage did anything for me outside except for Suspiria.

Loved Immaculate. :shrug:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 5, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I revisited it a while ago because someone made a video of it as the Legendary First Creepypasta which was funny clickbait that got me good, and it struck me how well presented and told it is. Almost nothing happens in it, it's not even scary or anything but the main thing missing from 95% of its imitators is the confidence and patience to build up an eerie atmosphere.

And the restraint to not do a memorable marketable monster.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
bones is good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1776374167526314251
Finally! the Maxxxine trailer on Monday.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Nice! It should be on their stand at Spiel in October, so I can hopefully get a demo. Then I'll know whether I can actually recommend it as a game rather than just think "Kvlt will think that's cool", and in plenty of time for you to get a copy by Christmas if you want. These aren't cheap pocket games, they're full size boxes that cost $60 so they're not really impulse buys.

Id appreciate that a ton thank you!! thatll give me some time too to save up for it provided it receives a Jedit thumbs up come October

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

dorium posted:

Finally! the Maxxxine trailer on Monday.

Good timing, I finally got around to watching Pearl a few weeks ago. It was good, but I liked X better. Both movies are fairly predictable so it depends on whether you prefer Pearl's old hollywood presentation.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
First Omen: Some great visuals, and I can’t dislike anything that directly homages the Isabelle Adjani subway freakout from Possession, but this drags a lot until the finale. Retcons the original film in some very deliberate ways (don’t be surprised if you see “They made The Omen WOKE” meltdowns in the coming days) that it’s hard to talk about without spoilers; there’s one that I think works thematically Damien’s father and grandfather being a jackal, rather than his mother: abuse of women, hidden and erased and another Damien having a twin sister that seems extremely undercooked (it’s either there to set up a sequel of its own, or something got left on the cutting room floor)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Phy posted:

Check out The Antimemetics Division stuff by QNTM sometime if you haven't already, it touches on similar ideas (though without the big old Jaws pastiche). I've grown to love the idea of creatures that exist only in the noosphere as opposed to ghosts, spirits, spectres; things that can only be illuminated by the way in which our society thinks and describes things, but that are nevertheless somehow alive.

And I just realized that maybe I should be a little suspicious of the statement "I've grown to love the idea" there! Hahaha :tinfoil:

Whats the name of the book because I'm coming up with a Google search of a SCP foundation thing not a actual novel?

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Hollismason posted:

Whats the name of the book because I'm coming up with a Google search of a SCP foundation thing not a actual novel?

The full title is "There Is No Antimemetics Division", and the reason you're getting SCP stuff in a google search is because it's actually both, it's a long form SCP story that was adapted as it's own novel. The author has links to the original version of it on their website here: https://qntm.org/scp

I've only read the novel version, it has a lot of fun concepts and is worth checking out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

First Omen was fantastic and terrifying. Did anyone else feel like it was a Suspiria '77 homage? Obviously not the whole thing, but parts of it for sure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just watched Baghead and whoever called it Great Value Talk to Me was spot on.

I will give it credit, I don't think I've ever seen a movie where you can pinpoint exactly when their special effects budget ran out. Movie started with a cool vibe and creepiness and then the second she fell I laughed out loud at how atrocious the effect looked, and then followed up with goofy looking stretched arms.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

First Omen was fantastic and terrifying. Did anyone else feel like it was a Suspiria '77 homage? Obviously not the whole thing, but parts of it for sure.
Lots of Suspiria in the orphanage scenes with the girls. The painted wall in the office too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Lots of Suspiria in the orphanage scenes with the girls. The painted wall in the office too.
:yeah:

And the setting of Rome in the 70s and the group of elderly figures trying to keep evil alive and Nell Tiger Free having to go see Ralph Ineson who sheds light on the whole situation just like Jessica Harper goes to see the psychiatrist in Suspiria and more.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have not seen the first omen yet but the original omen's soundtrack is still a banger. ave satani ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
anyway i would simply suplex the antichrist to death because he is a small child and defenseless

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

anyway i would simply suplex the antichrist to death because he is a small child and defenseless

I would bully Damien.

Shove the son of the black goat into a locker.

Open that seal, bitch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have not seen the first omen yet but the original omen's soundtrack is still a banger. ave satani ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN14vgOZPmU
hail satan

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ms baylock rules very underrated horror movie villain imo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

same but id hit him with the Razor's Edge the best finisher

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the ending of the original movie where damien is alive and standing next to the president at the funeral with that poo poo eating grin and then the credits roll and then this song kicks in owns so hard top 5 horror movie ending easily

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first movie is a lot of fun. Some great disturbing shots like the hanging nanny and the dead dog, but also some fun death scenes like david warner's.

I said it earlier but the only reason I was looking forward to the remake was to see better gore. And it was better in a sense but ya know. Still a pointless film in every single way.,

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the ending of the original movie where damien is alive and standing next to the president at the funeral with that poo poo eating grin and then the credits roll and then this song kicks in owns so hard top 5 horror movie ending easily

yeah it kicks rear end. I should rewatch 2 and 3 again. I watched a whole marathon as a kid and thought 2 was very entertaining.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i saw the remake first and hated it then watched the original and was amazed that it was superior in every way despite the remake being an almost shot for shot remake

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Damian's not such a bad kid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it was from the director who did die hard 5 and max payne lol.

He can copy all the shots he wants but when you are just a hired journeyman with no vision people are gonna notice.

It's also WILD that the director of The Omen did Superman, Lethal Weapon and The Goonies. Donner was a wild director. Gotta give it to him.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Religious horror from a non-religious perspective interests me (or rather Catholic horror specifically), so id love to hear posters thoughts:

If the movie establishes Catholicism is true and God and the devil exist, then you don't have to worry because the devil/antichrist will always be defeated (St. Michael gonna stab that motherfucker during Revelations). So what's scary to me is the devil leading your soul astray from God, thereby denying you his mercy/gift of eternal life. But if you're an atheist you're not afraid of that so that part of the movie doesnt scare you. But if the movie is following canon the birth of the antichrist or the devil shouldnt scare you either bc he is literally fated to lose/be defeated.

Or am I overthinking it and the scariness is just "THERES A SCARY LOOKIN DEMON THATS GONNA GOUGE MY EYES OUT WITH ITS CLAWS"

Edit: Im referring to scariness factor, so if your view is "Im not scared I just dig the movie" no need to post that bc I understand that perspective. I'm referring to non-religious people who do get scared by religious horror

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 6, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have not seen any of the omen sequels might fix that this weekend

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think what makes the omen scary is that while damien is destined to lose he's going to cause a lot of suffering and misery in the end times before that happens also he's a chud

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think what makes the omen scary is that while damien is destined to lose he's going to cause a lot of suffering and misery in the end times before that happens also he's a chud

That does make sense but you could also find comfort in that if hes doing that all youd need to do is join God's side and then even if something bad happened to you youd wake up in eternal Heaven

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and maybe satan is killing the people trying to stop damien or perhaps it is god himself doing it to keep the end of days going as expected...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnZX9_V6XTg lol the end of this

looks like liev is smelling some heinous farts.