Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

check out this dude who cant cope with multithreading

we need to implement cooperative multiposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Share Bear posted:

i thought this was like a new linux thread but theres another one with way more convos in it

close this one or the other one plz

no

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I like gnome but I am probably the only person in the world running it on a hybrid touchscreen laptop which is what they optimized their interface around for some reason

not having tray icons without the extension is extremely stupid tho and I think the multiple desktops gently caress with full screen applications

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

gnome is fine once you realise the default configuration makes a ton of weird assumptions, such as the fact that you'll be using a touchscreen.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the chromebooks i run clear on have touchscreens and styluses lol, but i find hybrid interfaces like that pretty annoying. chromeos had a decent implementation that is way better than gnome's, but i barely used that functionality

Poopernickel posted:

if you're a laptophaver, macos is still the way to go. Windows is next-best. Put your Linux in a VM (WSL is fine). Don't waste your life loving around with graphics drivers, wi-fi drivers, "oh, btw your camera won't work", bad battery life, etc

but there's no problem with the stylus calibration or a limited number of touch points or anything. it all works fine, including the trackpad, sound, gpu (actually faster than under windows), wifi (i get 4x4 802.11ax MIMO on one), microsd/UFS readers, both cameras (on both devices; there's a regular old laptop webcam on top of the bezel, but there's also a camera on the keyboard positioned above the esc key. it's higher quality/resolution than the webcam, it's intended to be a rear camera when you use it in tablet mode), under KDE i get wide gamut support with the OLED machine, and as mentioned a few pages ago i get around 8-12 hours of battery, depending on which machine you're talking about

literally the only thing i couldn't get to work is a fingerprint reader on the OLED chromebook. i'm pretty sure it never worked under chromeos either, though

e: oops, 802.11ax, not ac

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 5, 2024

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

git apologist posted:

beefy you are suspiciously effusive about linux

It's because KDE is so nice! I even have a custom app launcher icon. I had to go through a lot of hoops to do that with gnome

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

this thread inspired me to get compiz goin again with the wobbly windows and its great

ok its great but you have to use an older version of gnome and its not worth the tradeoff. Maybe someday i'll try it with xfce or whatever when i have the patience or requirement to move off what i have but until then ima just go back to the way it was. If you use KDE it seems like a no-brainer to use it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just try kde man, i have a feeling you'll really like it. all of that poo poo is built into kwin (on x11 or wayland)

it's just overall a much more refined experience imo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i want to look at kde but probably wont until fedora 40 drops with plasma 6

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

just try kde man, i have a feeling you'll really like it. all of that poo poo is built into kwin (on x11 or wayland)

it's just overall a much more refined experience imo

yeah im not disagreeing i just dont have the patience for fuckin around with that stuff right now. I looked at a howto and it seems like fairly major surgery.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I think I'm going to need the serial console to see wtf is going on with PCIe on this Pine64 RockPro64 board. It happens very early in the boot process.

Poking around my lab, I found a Baofeng programming cable that looks suspiciously like a USB-to-TTL Serial cable. Signal level appears to be 5V, so I guess I'll add an inline 1k resistor when hooking up to my motherboard's 3.3V serial header.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

yeah im not disagreeing i just dont have the patience for fuckin around with that stuff right now. I looked at a howto and it seems like fairly major surgery.

not at all, you can literally do all of that through the control panel, which is imo better designed than windows 10/11 control panels

like yeah there's a lot of settings, but you don't need to go edit esoteric text files or hunt down where some setting is or whatever you're envisioning. it's all in the control panel, including functionality to download new stuff (themes, login screens, sounds, icons, kwin effects, etc.)

it's really pretty easy, idk where you got that idea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

plasma 5 is great too and i haven't heard of (m)any problems with upgrading

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

post hole digger posted:

install the 40 beta, it works great, and it has plasma 6

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

not at all, you can literally do all of that through the control panel, which is imo better designed than windows 10/11 control panels

like yeah there's a lot of settings, but you don't need to go edit esoteric text files or hunt down where some setting is or whatever you're envisioning. it's all in the control panel, including functionality to download new stuff (themes, login screens, sounds, icons, kwin effects, etc.)

it's really pretty easy, idk where you got that idea

idk what control panel you're talkin about and between this conversation and installing and reverting compiz I'm already at the limit of how much time I'm willing to invest in this.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

idk what control panel you're talkin about and between this conversation and installing and reverting compiz I'm already at the limit of how much time I'm willing to invest in this.

it's called "system settings"

https://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings

e.g. changing a theme:

downloading more:

all of the other settings look pretty similar

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

it's called "system settings"

https://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings

e.g. changing a theme:

downloading more:

all of the other settings look pretty similar

beefy im on gnome, i dont have that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah its kde!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Year of the linux desktop yall: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/04/german-state-gov-ditching-windows-for-linux-30k-workers-migrating/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

you have to install kde to get the kde system settings lol

system settings itself will run under gnome too though. similarly there's a control panel system setting for changing GTK themes, it'll give you a preview with an actual GTK window too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

surely some kind of timestamp wrap issue at ars

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nah everyone hates windows as a service, and both windows and macos suck enough now to turn that realization into a switch to linux. it's one of the first of many, probably

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 5, 2024

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the best linux desktop environment is Mac OS with some SSH windows to whatever linux you're trying to use

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 5, 2024

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

it's me, I'm API error 999 in the op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

the best linux desktop environment is Mac OS with some SSH windows to whatever linux you're trying to use

finder sucks tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok which of you deranged fuckers pronounces fstab as "fs tab"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fucks sake tab

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

post hole digger posted:

me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Linuxed again

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

punished hole digger

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

e.g. changing a theme:

they still ship the kde4 oxygen theme? that thing looked like what you would get if you gave a warezed copy of photoshop to a kid who sits in the dark all day

breeze is probably the nicest desktop theme on any os right now though. it's legitimately pleasant to look at

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

it's eff-stab

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

:ese::filez:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like the look and feel of gnome and it mostly stays out of my way. its out of the box defaults are almost perfect for me as well.

i've tried kde a few times and i always get bored fixing a bunch of its stupid defaults.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

they still ship the kde4 oxygen theme? that thing looked like what you would get if you gave a warezed copy of photoshop to a kid who sits in the dark all day

breeze is probably the nicest desktop theme on any os right now though. it's legitimately pleasant to look at

idk, i don't have it on my clear install, maybe some distros do or maybe they just used it because it's kde's wiki

anyway, breeze is the default, and yeah it's really pretty nice. its easy to add new ones though, the button is right there

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 6, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

I think I'm going to need the serial console to see wtf is going on with PCIe on this Pine64 RockPro64 board. It happens very early in the boot process.

Poking around my lab, I found a Baofeng programming cable that looks suspiciously like a USB-to-TTL Serial cable. Signal level appears to be 5V, so I guess I'll add an inline 1k resistor when hooking up to my motherboard's 3.3V serial header.

Setting my serial adapter to the RK3399's weird default baud rate of 1,500,000.
code:
560 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 115200
561 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 230400
562 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1500000
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
563 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1843200
564 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 3686400
gently caress, it doesn't like the non-standard 1.5M baud rate. But 1.5M is not actually that weird. USB controllers have an internal 48 MHz clock to do USB stuff. That is usually generated from a 12 MHz crystal. Generally the serial port baud rate generator is fed from the 48 MHz USB clock, perhaps divided down a bit.

Cracking open the Baofeng adapter, the only chip inside is a FTDI FT232RL which does indeed feed a 48 MHz clock to its baud rate generator.

quote:

The FT232R supports all standard baud rates and non-standard baud rates from 183 Baud up to 3
Mbaud. Achievable non-standard baud rates are calculated as follows -

Baud Rate = 3000000 / (n + x)

Where ‘n’ can be any integer between 2 and 16,384 ( = 2^14 ) and ‘x’ can be a sub-integer of the value 0,
0.125, 0.25, 0.375, 0.5, 0.625, 0.75, or 0.875. When n = 1, x = 0, i.e. baud rate divisors with values
between 1 and 2 are not possible.

So 1.5M baud should be possible. Maybe it's Mac OS that doesn't like setting the weird baud rate? Time to tag in the Rock Pi S from page 1, the one with the wifi driver problems. Under Linux, 1.5M baud works fine.

code:
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500001
stty: invalid argument ‘1500001’
Try 'stty --help' for more information.
So that worked. Here's the full boot log from the RockPro64. No obvious PCIe errors, though.

Hmmmm. Any ideas?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ryanrs posted:

Setting my serial adapter to the RK3399's weird default baud rate of 1,500,000.
code:
560 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 115200
561 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 230400
562 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1500000
563 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1843200
564 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 3686400
gently caress, it doesn't like the non-standard 1.5M baud rate. But 1.5M is not actually that weird. USB controllers have an internal 48 MHz clock to do USB stuff. That is usually generated from a 12 MHz crystal. Generally the serial port baud rate generator is fed from the 48 MHz USB clock, perhaps divided down a bit.

Cracking open the Baofeng adapter, the only chip inside is a FTDI FT232RL which does indeed feed a 48 MHz clock to its baud rate generator.

So 1.5M baud should be possible. Maybe it's Mac OS that doesn't like setting the weird baud rate? Time to tag in the Rock Pi S from page 1, the one with the wifi driver problems. Under Linux, 1.5M baud works fine.

code:
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500001
stty: invalid argument ‘1500001’
Try 'stty --help' for more information.
So that worked. Here's the full boot log from the RockPro64. No obvious PCIe errors, though.

Hmmmm. Any ideas?

no, sorry

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

linux experts please help me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

ok its great but you have to use an older version of gnome and its not worth the tradeoff. Maybe someday i'll try it with xfce or whatever when i have the patience or requirement to move off what i have but until then ima just go back to the way it was. If you use KDE it seems like a no-brainer to use it.

wobbly windows is also a gnome extension “Compiz Windows Effect”