Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shut down baseball until we can figure out what's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

that's the kind of no nonsense analysis you get from a man who doesn't do anal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah strider being donezo is like, a major issue for the next 5 years of the window. I don't think it's possible Fried stays, since the dodgers will convince him he's Koufax 2.0 and taking over Kershaw's legacy and poo poo. Mortons old and retiring. really kind of make or break on what AA can do or this dynasty might have a lot less rosy future than it seemed last week!

The Dodgers are going to sign both Sasaki and Fried?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mcmagic posted:

The Dodgers are going to sign both Sasaki and Fried?

they signed ohtani for league minimum anything is possible in this hellish world mcmagic

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With the way Strider threw this was an inevitable outcome imo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strider and Bieber aren't even the only pitchers who are going to miss this season who had injury announcements today

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/jonathan-loaisiga-to-undergo-season-ending-ucl-surgery.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1776468636016013741

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"earned"

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
RIP Spencer Striders UCL

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Torn UCL due to overuse of the chop

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In mourning for Strider.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ryan's career walks record is far more unassailable than even the strikeouts record. He gave up 50% more walks than any other pitcher in baseball history.

He didn't just throw a million innings, taking almost every start for over 20 years, he did so ringing up the highest per-start pitch counts ever. He routinely threw over 150 pitches in a start, and not infrequently over 200.

I got curious and decided to see what I could find in newspaper archives, using Baseball Reference game logs as a guide. From what I could tell 200 was very infrequent for Ryan. At the MLB level, I'd guess only twice.

In 1974, Ryan said his record was 242 pitches against the Tigers, set a year before. In June 1974, he threw 235 before being relieved in the 14th.

His record may or may not have been 242. He said Tigers, but his only longer outing against them in 1973 had 205 pitches reported. That was 11 innings. His longest outing in 1972 was 12 innings, throwing 189 pitches. Ryan had a 17-strikeout game against Detroit in 1976, but no pitch count was mentioned. Probably wasn't that insane. Ryan threw 185 against the Yankees in 1977 in 11 innings.

Ryan's usual number of pitches would be much higher than the average now, but those 200+ games were super rare.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the talk about moving the mount and pitch clocks feels like a band-aid to avoid tipping the sacred cow of "out on three strikes."

A part of baseball so ingrained that even our justice system sometimes invokes it. But I would say fewer max effort pitches per mans at the plate would help the elbows.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

All the talk about moving the mount and pitch clocks feels like a band-aid to avoid tipping the sacred cow of "out on three strikes."

A part of baseball so ingrained that even our justice system sometimes invokes it. But I would say fewer max effort pitches per mans at the plate would help the elbows.

Changing the number of strikes for a strikeout would be loony, but I could possibly get behind limiting the number of foul balls you're allowed to hit before you're out.

As always, it would have to come with (more than) corresponding changes to make it easier to put the ball in play but harder to hit home runs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eric the Mauve posted:

Changing the number of strikes for a strikeout would be loony, but I could possibly get behind limiting the number of foul balls you're allowed to hit before you're out.

What about an out if you hit it over the netting on two strikes? There have been fewer instances of infielders crowd surfing the audience since the netting was extended for crowd safety, but with that come fewer outs at the edges around the dugouts. Making it an out if you foul into that territory on two strikes would make a change but to a certain extent it would be reversing the trends back to where they were a decade ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Strider and Bieber aren't even the only pitchers who are going to miss this season who had injury announcements today

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/jonathan-loaisiga-to-undergo-season-ending-ucl-surgery.html

Remember like 8 days ago when the yankees were taking bows for knowing how to use Loaisgia right to keep him healthy?

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1776723453888102911

Is sucking contagious?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 6, 2024

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://x.com/psaundersdp/status/1776737482194698399

it begins again.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is it possible that the Cardinals have finally had one of their heralded catching prospects actually pan out for the first time since Yadi? Herrera seems to be hitting the ball great

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah I’ve been pretty impressed with him. Masyn Winn and Brendan Donovan have all been great so far.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
once that Cardinals lineup figures it out and starts hitting they can compensate for the pitching being like 5 ERA. as such, I hope the bats go historically cold and they lose 120 games. namaste.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This rules and once these guys get to Atlanta they should keep doing it
https://x.com/scottrlucas/status/1776421666685387065

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
bitch Loaisiga

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The mighty Cubs did something no team has done yet this season: Held the Dodgers to under 5 runs

loving Cuas

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So it appears that MLBPA's position on pitcher injuries is that the pitch clock, or at least the reduction of the clock going into this season, is having an effect.

https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1776751339176857786

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the players hate the pitch clock so much that they might actually be willing to concede some money to kill it.

"Who gives a gently caress what the fans think?" is something the vast majority of players believe, even if only Spencer Strider is dumb enough to say it near a microphone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah strider being donezo is like, a major issue for the next 5 years of the window. I don't think it's possible Fried stays, since the dodgers will convince him he's Koufax 2.0 and taking over Kershaw's legacy and poo poo. Mortons old and retiring. really kind of make or break on what AA can do or this dynasty might have a lot less rosy future than it seemed last week!
Fried is 31 next year, that’s not the kind of pitcher that Friedman shells out for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Fried is 31 next year, that’s not the kind of pitcher that Friedman shells out for.

lol @ that mattering when you have unlimited money

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t have the numbers in front of me but pitchers blowing out their arms hasn’t seemed rare over the last 10 years. That’s way before the pitch clock (god bless it) became a thing. Assuming the numbers are steady I do hope the players union can manufacture some poo poo for the next CBA anyway but my guess is Tony will give up guaranteed contracts or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Stephen Strasburg is finally retiring

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/stephen-strasburg-officially-retires.html?utm_source=twitter

Sounds like the team finally agreed to pay him, but he did agree to some deferrals in his remaining contract years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

lol @ that mattering when you have unlimited money
what “matters” is what Friedman is and isn’t willing to do. His track record and preferences are pretty clear at this point and they don’t include going top dollar and years for a pitcher already past 30

Whether that makes sense given the Dodgers financial position is irrelevant, he calls the shots and he’s not breaking the bank for a 31 year old pitcher. If the situation changes and Fried is willing to take a high AAV shorter deal, Friedman will be all over that.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Now cracks a WS MVP heart. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Justin Steele injured himself fielding a bunt.

drat PITCH CLOCK! :argh:

Pitch clock is without a doubt the best change to the MLB in my lifetime. Lol if they get rid of it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well Played Mauer posted:

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but pitchers blowing out their arms hasn’t seemed rare over the last 10 years. That’s way before the pitch clock (god bless it) became a thing. Assuming the numbers are steady I do hope the players union can manufacture some poo poo for the next CBA anyway but my guess is Tony will give up guaranteed contracts or something.

Yeah, maybe the shortened pitch clock is causing more problems, but pitchers getting injured with alarming regularity has been a thing well before the pitch clock. The players just want to try and kill a convenient scapegoat.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

These Fanatics jerseys are too tight and constricting ease of movement and bloodflow. It's time to sue Fanatics into bankruptcy and revert back to wool uniforms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankee home whites are the only uniforms that still look normal.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
time to start having retrospectives on the astros best era and think about the rebuild

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stephen Strasburg is finally retiring

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/stephen-strasburg-officially-retires.html?utm_source=twitter

Sounds like the team finally agreed to pay him, but he did agree to some deferrals in his remaining contract years

I saw one of his starts back in 2014? and it was the most dominant pitching performance I've ever seen outside of one of Grienke's during his Cy Young year. Just was incredible to watch. Too bad the pitching clock ruined his career!!!

In other news :siren: the royals are over .500 for the first time in 2 years :siren: Their starters have like a 1.3? ERA or something so it's sure to be sustainable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/talkinyanks/status/1776784495061975338?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Vladdy is such a loser lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminds me of when Westbrook hit a 3 and did the shoosh gesture at the crowd in an elimination game against the Lakers while down 30 for the Rockets

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

time to start having retrospectives on the astros best era and think about the rebuild

We probably have another ALCS appearance in us but yeah, we're on the wrong side of this hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dameius posted:

We probably have another ALCS appearance in us but yeah, we're on the wrong side of this hill.

Trade Tucker, Yordan, JV and Bregman at the deadline. Jumpstart it at least a little bit