Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
linux is great because to use it i have to have to pick a "window manager", whatever THAT is, after which i will immediately be told by 47% of the internet that i'm using the wrong one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

linux is great because to use it i have to have to pick a "window manager", whatever THAT is, after which i will immediately be told by 47% of the internet that i'm using the wrong one

install Ubuntu problem solved

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah I don't have that problem with these headless ARM boards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what are the big differences between like Debian and arch and fedora and Ubuntu etc anyways

people get really tribal about it and it’s like drat fellas it’s Linux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i always always always run debian on my big huge headless home servers. the big thing is that it doesnt install a god drat thing. and thats good to me. i dont need a gui i dont need this and that, if i have to 'apt install sudo' that's fine!. it runs very quick and i can identify every process in top.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what are the big differences between like Debian and arch and fedora and Ubuntu etc anyways

Linux is literally about being a hostile tribal rear end in a top hat over software choices

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

Setting my serial adapter to the RK3399's weird default baud rate of 1,500,000.
code:
560 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 115200
561 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 230400
562 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1500000
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
563 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1843200
564 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 3686400
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
gently caress, it doesn't like the non-standard 1.5M baud rate. But 1.5M is not actually that weird. USB controllers have an internal 48 MHz clock to do USB stuff. That is usually generated from a 12 MHz crystal. Generally the serial port baud rate generator is fed from the 48 MHz USB clock, perhaps divided down a bit.

Cracking open the Baofeng adapter, the only chip inside is a FTDI FT232RL which does indeed feed a 48 MHz clock to its baud rate generator.

So 1.5M baud should be possible. Maybe it's Mac OS that doesn't like setting the weird baud rate? Time to tag in the Rock Pi S from page 1, the one with the wifi driver problems. Under Linux, 1.5M baud works fine.

code:
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500001
stty: invalid argument ‘1500001’
Try 'stty --help' for more information.
So that worked. Here's the full boot log from the RockPro64. No obvious PCIe errors, though.

Hmmmm. Any ideas?

lol i'm not surprised macos didn't like the non-standard baud rate

anyway i have no idea what to even look for in that log but good luck with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

no you don't, e.g. kde uses kwin and it comes with it. most desktop environments do, xfce has mutter, etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

this is the yospos experience, id have thought youd be used to it by now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

has anyone used steamos as like a regular desktop linux thing?

i guess its just debain underneath but like .. idk. Anyone tried it? Be nice to not have to keep a windows partition.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

no you don't, e.g. kde uses kwin and it comes with it. most desktop environments do, xfce has mutter, etc

none of these words in the bible, etc.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

none of these words in the bible, etc.

moses said "kde is good now" and the red sea parted

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

i guess its just debain underneath but like .. idk. Anyone tried it? Be nice to not have to keep a windows partition.

see my posts earlier in this thread re: steamos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eew

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

I am building OpenWRT on a Rockchip RK3399 SoC. It has:
2x Cortex-A72 1.8 GHz performance cores
4x Cortex-A53 1.4 GHz low power cores

What number should I use for make -jN ?

Running nprocs says 6, but that seems suspect re. the ARM big.LITTLE architecture.

Revisiting this question, the answer is yes, all 6 cores can run at once. This wasn't the case for early big.LITTLE architectures, but current chips are more flexible.

The RK3399 has 2 clusters, the dual A72 cluster, and the quad A53 cluster. Voltage and frequency scaling appears to be on a whole-cluster basis, so e.g. all the A53 cores are always running at the same speed.

PCIe status:

Though I haven't gotten x4 lanes working, I did get the x1 lane running at gen2 speed. This is officially unsupported by Rockchip because of stability issues on some boards, but it seems to be running ok for me at the moment. I'll benchmark a build tonight. It'll be a good indication if the build is i/o bound.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
this might be a stupid suggestion, and i put the laptop i was using away for the night so i can't check myself, but is there anything related in /sys/ you might be able to edit? it says it's using x4 in the log you posted, it's possible there might be some driver setting or hardware property

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

In that log, both ends are claiming to be capable of x4, but somehow they only end up negotiating x1. I need to figure out how to turn on more low level PCIe debugging info. Dunno if I have to rebuild the kernel to turn that stuff on, tho.

This NVME drive is my system drive, so I don't think I can send it PCI resets or reconfigure it while the system is running. I may need to move the filesystem back to microSD so I can try some other x4 PCIe adapter, just to test with a different card.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

rotor posted:

i think it's based on arch now

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

PCIe Gen 2 Build Speeds & Conclusion

First, a simple test with dd to confirm we're getting x1 Gen 2 speeds.
code:
PCIe Gen 1
ryan@rockpro64:~$ time dd if=farts of=/dev/null bs=1M
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
17179869184 bytes (17 GB, 16 GiB) copied, 81.48 s, 211 MB/s

PCIe Gen 2
ryan@rockpro64:~$ time dd if=farts of=/dev/null bs=1M
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
17179869184 bytes (17 GB, 16 GiB) copied, 44.4549 s, 386 MB/s

83% increase in seq read speed.
After enabling Gen 2 speed, build time increased(!) by 26 seconds over a 3.5 hour build. I'm surprised and suspicious that the times are so similar. I'd expect more run-to-run variation even with all the settings exactly the same.

These results suggest the best course of action is to revert to Gen 1 speed for stability, and call it a day. It doesn't look like there will be a real-world performance improvement even if all 4 lanes were working.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

47% is quite conservative.

not to mention if something fails to work, where 87% will offer the solution "you are using the wrong x, using y everything works for me"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

with the ubiquity of systemd, the only real distro differentiators are the package management and release schedule, but here are some general tips:

- debian good for servers
- arch good for workstations when you want good docs and latest everything, at the cost of frequent reboots from all the kernel updates
- fedora good if you enjoy awful package management and you post in the other linux thread (i don't hear of anyone actually using fedora except a few ppl in there)
- ubuntu good for dealing with the latest reinvented trash that a small business tyrant had directed some nerds to bodge together over the prior few months

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo in the sheets, fedora in the streets

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Jonny 290 posted:

which is true if you're not using i3

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

rotor posted:

It's arch based now, insomuch as Valve take a snapshot of the Arch repos and add their own for kernels and poo poo (this is different to the bad thing manjaro does because they do not take a snapshot, but rather mix repos wholesale).

It also uses the concept of an immutable root filesystem. this means you do not make changes in / because it's read-only. Even if you do make changes to it, they will be overwritten at the next upgrade.

For general desktop use there is no official release. The closest you get is HoloISO which is a project that builds an installer for SteamOS based on the repo information.

So using it as a desktop os? Not worth it. The only way to do it is with an unofficial installer and even though that installer doctors stuff it is still very much an os for a weird shaped handheld. Immutable fs can introduce frustration for some, too.

I wouldn't bother.

Linux is pretty good btw.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
we're all computer touchers but we don't have to also be mouse touchers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs posted:

After enabling Gen 2 speed, build time increased(!) by 26 seconds over a 3.5 hour build. I'm surprised and suspicious that the times are so similar.

ehh thats not terribly surprising imo, you could be maxing out the rockchip. it might be that increased i/o just doesn't make a difference

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

47% is quite conservative.

not to mention if something fails to work, where 87% will offer the solution "you are using the wrong x, using y everything works for me"

yes, any x is the wrong x (...xwayland is acceptable i suppose)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

basically package management systems and what optimizations they put into them (usually not many). clear also uses its own imo kinda stupid swupd system but also supports yum/dnf, but all packages are built with balls to the wall full tilt optimizations. and it really does make a distinct difference

e: oh kernel optimizations too. most distros don't do (m)any. clear does a lot

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 6, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
claiming the quad to say swupd drools dnf rules (at least on clear, gimme apt over either any day). but also clear > debian

for real though swupd really isn't that bad, it is extremely fast since clear does everything in packages they call "bundles", but the tradeoff is that it's not very granular. some people may actually prefer that, personally i don't since what those bundles include is usually overkill

e: it supporting yum/dnf is good enough to scratch that itch anyway. swupd is frequently faster than dnf, but again that's because it's not terribly granular

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
in an unprecedented itt quintuple, i'm just going to xpost this from the other linux thread because this poo poo is kinda cool imo

Beeftweeter posted:

rusty talking about openblas up there somehow reminded me of gambas, basically visual basic (classic, not .net) for linux and friends

anyone played with it? i'd been interested in it since i'd first heard of it. though it's been about 25 years since i've developed anything with VB, it seems kinda neat and (as i would suspect is the case for many of us,) it was the first language i'd learned how to make a gui with

idk how it works though, i'd be very surprised if it compiled to some equivalent of p-code

especially when there's transpilers to c++ like QB64 for loving QBASIC with e.g. opengl extensions and a WYSIWYG pseudo-IDE lol

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i went to the gym and then had a long walk hoo boy that was a long time to not be using linux for

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Progressive JPEG posted:

with the ubiquity of systemd, the only real distro differentiators are the package management and release schedule, but here are some general tips:

- debian good for servers
- arch good for workstations when you want good docs and latest everything, at the cost of frequent reboots from all the kernel updates
- fedora good if you enjoy awful package management and you post in the other linux thread (i don't hear of anyone actually using fedora except a few ppl in there)
- ubuntu good for dealing with the latest reinvented trash that a small business tyrant had directed some nerds to bodge together over the prior few months

I've been using Fedora as my desktop os for a year+ and it's Fine, although for the life of me I can't remember why I didn't pick arch for this instead

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

it's reasonable to choose fedora over arch if you don't want the fun of installing abso-loving-lutely everything.

i call it fun without sarcasm.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
fedora has been the only distro that “just worked” for me. debian too but I didn’t like having outdated packages

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

fedora really is great for a 'just works' distro. dnf is a poo poo package manager but a normie would ignore it and use flatpaks most of the time, without even knowing they are using flatpaks.

use fedora if you want to use windows

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Now that I have my ARM64 build server running pretty well, I'm building a custom image for the $16 GL-AR750 travel router I got the other day. It has a single core MIPS24K @ 650 MHz and 128 MB of RAM, and I'll stick in a 32 GB microSD card. Those are some pretty nice specs, if you're old enough.

My two immediate goals for this build:

1) When the router boots for the first time, I want it to politely take a DHCP address, rather than fight my real router for control of 192.168.1.1.

2) Install gcc and whatever else I need to do local compiles of small programs for MIPS24k. Not for building OpenWRT, but just for my own code.

I think maybe this could all be assembled from pre-compiled parts using the Image Builder, but right now I'm trying to build from source.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
debian is good because apt/dokg are good and more importantly pretty easy to use for new users

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

apt is actually poo. why is it so slow???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have never had any complaints about the speed of apt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

it might honestly just be that pacman spoiled me. it downloads the files, and extracts them to the place. in comparison, apt is like doing a bank transfer.