Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i get where you're coming from i guess but when you cake on this many words about being self conscious and trying to uh, take culpability i guess, it just kinda dilutes whatever you're saying and makes it more about you and pulls us further from talking about brave fencer musashi for ps1, the game where i keep getting lost cause they don't mark where anything is on your map and turns out i am very navigationally confused. they gave me a key to the mines and emphasized how i needed to go into the mines and somehow i wandered through the entire accessible portion of the forest before realizing the mine was a big cave with a lock on it

I'll admit it took kid-me days to realize the entrance to the mine was in a corner of the village I never went near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

JuniperCake posted:

If games like Pyre count then I recommend Pyre.

Half VN, Half Wizard Basketball. The Wizard basketball part is not as fun as it should be but the VN parts are really endearing and make up for it imo.

Pyre rules! Excellent VN, superb soundtrack, and it also does some fun meta stuff with its progression mechanics. Let's just say that if you have a favorite party member... you might just get dunked on!!!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i think a good starter vn would be 428 or paranormasight. both are on the shorter side (for vns), have nice production values and good TLs. fata morgana is very good but also very long and the first arc is the weakest and takes the longest to get going. but as colonel said its mostly about whatever sounds interesting to you.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
My first completed pure VN was called NanoLife. Its a very short adventure about an MMORPG character who gains sentience despite not being controlled by a human player.

The game that finally got me into VNs all the way is Anonymous;Code, the most recent entry in the Science Adventure series. It gets into the main action very quickly. (This is in contrast to Steins;Gate, which I tried years ago. It had an exciting start and then just kinda dallied around for too long.)

Besides that, I've always enjoyed games like Ace Attorney and 999 for the problem solving.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fata Morgana is absolutely goated.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Ibram Gaunt posted:

this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steins Gate has a very good ending a good start and some very variable middle sections.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
play time hollow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I personally dislike VNs that have additional gameplay mechanics because I got fooled by an Utawarerumono game as a young man who just wanted to play SRPGs and was left going "drat the cutscenes between stages in this game are really long, what's up with that?" This has created a long lasting vendetta against the entire art style.

Also because a friend when I was young INSISTED I had to read the original uncensored version of Fate Stay Night and lemme tell you those sex scenes are incredibly badly written.
the cutscenes in utawarerumono are cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mahoyo/witch on the holy night is on switch in english and is cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is on pc also

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shoutout to the nonbinary werewolf that barely does anything

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

play time hollow

nonsense, they should play lux-pain

time hollow rules

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

kirbysuperstar posted:

play time hollow

I was pretty sure I was both the only person who bought this game and also finished it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
There was some buzz about 428: Shibuya Scramble wasn't there? For the VN namedrops. Not sure if the live action was a gimmick or if the story was actually interesting.

anyway,

Finally finished Unicorn Overlord @ 76 hours.
Gonna be a while till I tackle another SRPG. I had just finished SRW T before starting it as well, so my SRPG energy tank is low and a bit burned out. Will tackle the postgame clean up and things in the far future.

Gonna dive a bit more aggressively into Rebirth.
Started both at the same time, and Rebirth is at about @ 35 hours, chapter 9 now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Saga Emerald feels like a weird little indie game now, which is probably a better space for it to exist in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I was pretty sure I was both the only person who bought this game and also finished it

Well, I definitely didn't buy it at least.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i feel a deep kinship with boh. i, also, can't aim when i'm crying

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anyways. Starting KH2 and the opening MV is still hitting as hard as it did when I played it for the first time back on ps2.

I have vivid memories of early KH2 because the girl I had a massive crush on in college invited me and this other friend over to her dorm to play it. Never finished the game since I didn't actually have it and just played hers.

Speaking of the KH2 opening, Utada Hikaru's YouTube channel recently released all her music videos as 4k (though in practice it's not a huge improvement in quality since the source material wasn't exactly HD), including Passion (which is the JP KH2 song) and Hikari (KH1 song). Both are great songs just like most Utada Hikaru stuff, top tier pop music with some really cool music videos.

https://youtu.be/j01KLlxfoN4?si=x3kn0Gh0WVSzC9dv

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's great, second best VN IMO (after Umineko obviously). It's actually an easier recommendation that Umineko despite this, mainly because Fata Morgana's story and themes are ultimately pretty straight-forward (and it doesn't run into Umineko's "problem" where some people are allergic to silly things happening in otherwise serious stories).

The soundtrack in particular is really cool and unique.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 7, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im just at the very very start of Alphadia Neo (Alphadia Genesis 3) and what in the hell happened between Alphadia Genesis 2 and this? This is a massive, immediate, quality increase. Did 2 sell insanely well or something???

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I think Root Letter would be a good intro VN. It's short, has a decent mystery, and is usually on sale for like $6.

There's a newer "Last Answer" version that adds videos, but I didn't like it as much as the original.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

I think Root Letter would be a good intro VN. It's short, has a decent mystery, and is usually on sale for like $6.

There's a newer "Last Answer" version that adds videos, but I didn't like it as much as the original.

It got a sort of spiritual sequel as well called Root Film. I have both but I really should just play Root Letter because it's be on my to play list forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alphadia Neo has a daily login bonus roulette wheel in an entirely single player only game. I mean Ill take free permanent stat boosts but also, why?

The game opens in The Grain Hills of the Sereal Kingdom while a woman named Cannele frets over the man they've rescued and whats become of her homeland, the Strudel Kingdom and now Im hungry.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Clearly, you have yet to reach the Barony of Croissant.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

poe meater posted:

What's the recommended VN to start with? Umineko?

Umineko is extremely long and the opening episode can be extremely alienating, it also doesn't really reveal its hand until the second episode.

As for good first VNs, I think

Digital: A Love Story
Eliza
Harmony: The Fall of Reverie
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
Open Sorcery
Planetarian
Raging Loop
Astrologaster
Slay The Princess

are all games that showcase good things about the genre while being reasonable lengths (short to mid sized)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 7, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

play time hollow
After I'm done with Murder By Numbers.

Meowywitch posted:

I played it on a flashcart and beat it like 15 years ago, so you're technically correct. Unfortunately the Japanese cart I bought doesn't have an English option, despite it being on a list of DS games that supposedly had English on the cart, so my replay will have to be :pirate: as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The thing with Umineko (and Higurashi too) is that while I would not advise starting with it with the intention of finishing all of it as a first VN, it was originally released episodically with long 4-6 month gaps so if you were willing to break it up that way each episode would be a pretty meaty experience while not being a huge individual time commitment.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The thing with Umineko (and Higurashi too) is that while I would not advise starting with it with the intention of finishing all of it as a first VN, it was originally released episodically with long 4-6 month gaps so if you were willing to break it up that way each episode would be a pretty meaty experience while not being a huge individual time commitment.

I don't doubt plenty of people have powered through them but I've gradually been working through Higurashi and definitely needed a month or two break between each one. I've tried jumping straight into the next one a couple of times but considering the nature of the way its story is divided I inevitably get burnt out and drop it 3-4 hours in, and then pick it up a few months later from the beginning of the episode anyway. Especially due to its linearity and it's "difficulty" (as Ryukishi07 describes it himself) being in the ability to figure out why things are happening the way they are (in the Questions arc at least) you may as well at least savour going through it all the first time anyway because if you're committing to it odds are it's going to be hard to un-know what's up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my biggest higurashi advice ever is, if you look at any kind of "timeline" or "read order" guide thing it will make it sound like the most insanely long obtuse thing in the world. so uh. just ignore all of those. anything that isn't chapter 1-8 is extended universe that was written several years after the original story and the extended universe is... not good. not a situation where that poo poo's a different guy it's just venturing out of the "structured ryukishi story" zone into the more common ryukishi zone where he's slamming out a story he got an idea for without thinking on it too much and what you get out of it is a gamble between a pretty odd but funny and maybe even sort of meaningful short thing or, a bad ryukishi story

though honestly you should probably just ignore most play or read or watch orders as a rule. i'm big into suda51's games and it's funny to me people made one for those too. i played every one of the games on those lists and i can tell you, the order in which you play them is only important for like three of them... three games that released right next to each other and share themes and aesthetics so you'd probably know to play them as a trilogy already anyway lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 7, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is Pentiment a visual novel?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fridge corn posted:

Is Pentiment a visual novel?

Kind of, right? I think it'd appeal to the same audience.

e: what's that horror VN where the main guy sees everything as grotesque and bloody and filthy because of a brain problem, and then he meets a girl who looks totally normal to him?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Every video game with text is a visual novel.

Most of them are just significantly worse than what people generally call VNs now and have to disguise their bad writing with jingle keys gameplay loops.

It's why DOOM put all that shooting between those long terrible story bits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If it doesn't have text it's a graphic novel

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

HopperUK posted:

Cuz I was about to join into the VN conversation (probably ill advised) but then I realised that I just finished Pentiment and I enjoyed that so perhaps I do like visual novels

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

HopperUK posted:

e: what's that horror VN where the main guy sees everything as grotesque and bloody and filthy because of a brain problem, and then he meets a girl who looks totally normal to him?

Saya no Uta

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is a cross section of games that could equally be called adventure games, rpgs, and visual novels and the trick of it is figuring out which to call it at any given time to annoy the maximum number of people

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snooze Cruise posted:

there is a cross section of games that could equally be called adventure games, rpgs, and visual novels and the trick of it is figuring out which to call it at any given time to annoy the maximum number of people

Zero Escape, Danganronpa, AI: The Somnium Files, Ace Attorney, etc? Because I dont recall any rpg elements in those

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

Zero Escape, Danganronpa, AI: The Somnium Files, Ace Attorney, etc? Because I dont recall any rpg elements in those

sounds like rpgs to me

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Siege of Avalon isn't a visual novel, it's a Digital Tome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't care what they're called so long as i know what you're talking about when you call them that. i'm cool and above it all