Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marsupial Ape posted:

Marcille could turn them into statues and report them to the authorities. You know she knows how to.

I'm not sure about that. As far as I can tell, Marcille's magic falls into three categories:

1) support magic (healing, revival, protection, etc.)
2) explosions
3) poo poo that should not, under any circumstances, be cast, is illegal and dangerous and may destroy the fabric of reality and warp humans into abominations

She's specialized in the third, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I don’t want to split hairs, but turning flesh into stone sounds like a Category 3, by your criteria.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/misteryurifag/status/1776689780585087304?t=Gynb6NvrKsWueiBnn3g-BA&s=19

Some Japanese fans enjoy Damien Haas's English voice for Laios because he sounds more insane.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/misteryurifag/status/1776689780585087304?t=Gynb6NvrKsWueiBnn3g-BA&s=19

Some Japanese fans enjoy Damien Haas's English voice for Laios because he sounds more insane.

I like the viewer that's thirsty for Laios being hungry for dragon meat in both languages. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'idiot pretending to be a solid person' lol

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Pureauthor posted:

Google Translate made some interesting choices.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pureauthor posted:

I mean yeah that describes Marcille alright.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Marcille's perceived inner self is a swan, lithe and graceful, every movement choreographed and beautiful. But she's actually a pootoo.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Solid is a normal enough synonym for reliable, it's just a slightly odd context.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arc Hammer posted:

It never occurred to me that Japanese had its own subs vs dubs debate

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

It never occurred to me that Japanese had its own subs vs dubs debate

Oh sure. The most famous is over King of the Hill, I believe.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh sure. The most famous is over King of the Hill, I believe.

what did the japanese version do about boomhauer? the spanish dub just, like... gave him a normal voice. it always seemed so odd to me that there were these three weirdos and one normal-looking, normal-sounding dude who didn't have a "bit". it took me ages to find out he was supposed to be unintelligible

also i would like to know which western cartoon (or live action) characters are given Kansai-ben dialects in the japanese dub

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The Quebec dub of KotH takes place in Quebec

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SexyBlindfold posted:

what did the japanese version do about boomhauer? the spanish dub just, like... gave him a normal voice. it always seemed so odd to me that there were these three weirdos and one normal-looking, normal-sounding dude who didn't have a "bit". it took me ages to find out he was supposed to be unintelligible

also i would like to know which western cartoon (or live action) characters are given Kansai-ben dialects in the japanese dub

See for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRH6KegcdE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
hank sounds like a young samurai

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The Quebec dub of KotH takes place in Quebec

Henri Pis Sa Gang!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I know Dale, but can’t remember the name.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Henri Pis Sa Gang!

<<..6 heures du matin et déjà le gars est gently caressé.>>

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean yeah that describes Marcille alright.

Marcille is trying very hard

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/possqueen/status/1777042557677273221?s=19

I thought this guy was supposed to be smart

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Maybe he knows but didn't want to out them in front of his party 🤔

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: I love world-building like in Dungeon Meshi or Lost in Abyss where there's a big sense of mystery and exploration in forbidden and unknown places. Are there any works of manga/ anime that explore similar concepts?

Ancient reply but I'm catching up on this thread after catching up on the anime (it's really good!) and I noticed nobody replied to this. You might like BLAME! or Nihei's other works, though be aware that foreboding environmental storytelling is the majority of what they do and any plot is more abstract/confusing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Blame has incredibly detailed backgrounds that definitely tell a story. I find Biomega to be more readable though, or Knights of Sidonia.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh drat it I wanted to post that :argh:

https://x.com/violetobio/status/1777069826525061302

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/D0KID0K1/status/1777027644325814693?t=CNNoa-MgYhF2CxKBr5PAmA&s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, a lot of lore in Pokemon was apparently written by Laios, considering it's about how Pokemon taste.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Laios was totally the guy who tasted Tentacools

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's a joke somewhere about how Pokémon game dungeons wouldn't even be long enough to worry about brunch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Don’t they talk about eating pokemon in the pokemon cartoon?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They talk about eating Pokemon in the games but I'm not sure if they do in the cartoon since everybody in the cartoon is apparently vegetarian, including the Pokemon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought there was something about Tauros steaks, which I could be making up in my head.

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018
There was also an episode in the original series where they tried to eat a magikarp

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 8, 2024

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
In Gold/Silver, Team Rocket is running a whole operation based around cutting off the tails of Slowpokes to sell them as a delicacy.
And as I just found out when double-checking this, there's a very weird sleep-tracker app spin-off called Pokémon Sleep where you can cook Slowpoke Tail Pepper Salad, Grilled Tail Curry and other fancy meals for your Snorlax.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Theres this one fan animation where someone "prepares" a chickorita to eat but its kinda morbid if you ask me so i aint postin it. Right up Senshis alley though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In Scarlet/Violet there are straight up pokemon dishes you can buy.

Like one has a Klawf claw just sticking out of it, another is called Pickled Toedscool and Cucumbers.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dark477 posted:

There was also an episode in the original series where they tried to eat a magikarp

There was also an episode in the original series where they caught and ate regular rear end non-pokemon fish, which is a little weird to think about these days

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

In Scarlet/Violet there are straight up pokemon dishes you can buy.

Like one has a Klawf claw just sticking out of it, another is called Pickled Toedscool and Cucumbers.

In X/Y, you go to restaurants where they serve you fancy meals made of pokemon.

The games have never been shy about it, these are animals, they eat each other and humans eat them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Laios ate a graveler. Motherfucker liked it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark477 posted:

Only to discover it’s not fit for human consumption. (Pidggiotos like eating them however)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Begemot posted:

In X/Y, you go to restaurants where they serve you fancy meals made of pokemon.

The games have never been shy about it, these are animals, they eat each other and humans eat them.

On the other hand, there was one game that had a book that said something about humans marrying Pokemon in the past.

That brings up a number of questions and concerns, especially paired with edible Pokemon.

Maybe it’s like monsters and you can’t eat the humanoid ones. Which then raises even more questions about what happens with a Pokemon that starts out non-humanoid, but has a humanoid evolution later.