Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Even more insane was the changed call from HBP to strike swinging when the bat never left the guys shoulder earlier this week after the team said they were going to challenge it.

I will say the other umps in the call above could have at least called a balk, so it's not just Hernandez that screwed it up.

There was no one on base so can't be a balk.

It's definitely an illegal pitch though since he never resets after stepping off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Should have been a disengagement and no pitch I think?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There was no one on base so can't be a balk.

It's definitely an illegal pitch though since he never resets after stepping off.

A quick pitch after stepping off without giving the batter a chance to get set is an automatic ball even without anyone on base

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also the pitch was a ball anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also the pitch was a ball anyway.

If I'm trying to read Angel's mind, which is a dumb thing to do, he called it a strike because the batter stepped out of the box. I don't even know if that's the rule, that just seems like something he'd do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Angel Hernandez just likes going goblin mode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Love to see the Yanks in first and Boston in 2nd just the way things should be

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

If I'm trying to read Angel's mind, which is a dumb thing to do, he called it a strike because the batter stepped out of the box. I don't even know if that's the rule, that just seems like something he'd do.

He doesn’t step out of the box though. He just stands up straight

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Was thinking about all pitchers dying some more and the problem with the incentives pitchers have in trying to maximize spin and velocity. Even if you moved the mound up or raised or did anything else to help out pitchers, unless you completely break the game, they're still going to want to maximize their results. But I do think the teams have more incentive to keep pitchers' arms from falling off. This isn't like the NFL where a team can just grind their running back up and discard him when they're done. These guys are getting hurt as rookies. I saw an article that says in the past, there were relatively few Tommy John surgeries for younger people and amateurs and then the volume increased as you get into the major leagues, but that now it's actually inverted and there are more high schoolers getting it than major leaguers!

Teams are using up valuable years of team control rehabbing, or they're burning teams who made a big free agent offer. It would actually be in a team's interest to instruct pitchers in its system in safer throwing practices, knowing more may flame out and have to latch on elsewhere later on, just so they can find the guys who can more safely find a repeatable pitching approach that allows for durability. (This still doesn't actually solve anything because there's no clear point where suddenly velocity and spin goes from hunky dory to exploding your elbow, but it's at least a path I found some sense in as I was thinking on it. Maybe a team could just try to develop 25 knuckeballers at once and get a few to break through.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That would only come into play if the supply of people who can throw 98 MPH for 25 pitches runs out. Which it hasn't yet and probably never will.

You are correct that it's a fool's game trying to incentivize individual pitchers to do anything but throw every pitch at absolutely max effort. To effect change you'd have to incentivize teams to teach their pitchers not to. Which means limiting the number of pitchers per game a team can use, and nerfing power so every pitch with 10% less than optimal spin rate is no longer a probable home run.

Also, get the ball in play more. Nerf power and buff contact so the incentives for all but the very biggest power hitters change from "try to hit a home run on every pitch, don't care if I strike out trying" to "need to look for a single/double" and get hitters putting the ball in play earlier in counts.

The extremely radical, nay heretical, solution that will never happen, the thing that would slow pitches down, lower spin rates, make it harder to hit home runs but easier to put in play, would be to make the ball slightly bigger.

Ignoring that heresy, a series of changes to accomplish those goals would look like:

1. Max 3 pitchers per 9 inning game, plus 1 per 5 runs allowed or somesuch
2. Deaden the ball a little bit, and also make the seams a tiny bit flatter, which would reduce spin rate/movement
3. Make the bat handles thicker, reducing how hard players can swing (this would reduce power but increase contact, the slower your swing the easier it is to make contact with the ball--the bunt is the extreme example)
4. Make the fielding gloves significantly smaller, getting back to their original purpose of protection, not performance aiding equipment (make more balls in play become hits--one of the underrated issues today is defenders have gotten too drat good)
5. Move the batter's box about 3-4 inches off the plate (you can do just 1 inch a year for a few years), and change the HBP rule such that it's not a HBP if the ball wasn't actually in the box (give the pitchers back the inside half of the plate)
6. One you're at 2 strikes you only get 2 foul balls; on the 3rd, it's a strikeout
7. (the most unpopular suggestion here, probably) Ditch the DH. Give the pitchers back that free out each time through the order. I was always ambivalent about the DH and merely a mildly amused observer of the DH Holy Wars, but now I've started to think the pitcher's turn in the batting order might have been an underappreciated palate cleanser of sorts.

It has to be a lot of tweaks of that nature, all working toward the goal of more hits on balls in play, fewer home runs. Strikeouts would self-correct once most major league hitters can't hit more than 15 bombs a year by trying to hit one on every pitch--teams would stop playing those guys and start looking for guys who can stroke singles and run. You'd wind up with roughly the way baseball was played in the 70s/80s. It would take years to get there, though.

None of this will ever happen, except maybe very gradually over the next 40 years. The reason it will not happen is that, if you actually made all these changes, it would put half the current players out of their jobs--the relief pitchers and the low-average sluggers. Which means the players' union will, quite rightly as per a union's entire purpose, fight such changes to the death.

That's besides the obvious fact I can't even convince most of you, much less the union or the owners, that the outline above is a Good Idea.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 8, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh you're right, I thought he stepped back and out. Well I'll just have to settle with Angel sucking like usual.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Foolishly increased the size of his own strike zone

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BBGreatMoments/status/1777124199443894583?t=AUlmdIQZNl_eSljZX91ZcQ&s=19

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a player should just eat it and "accidently" slug Angel in the middle of a basebrawl

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wish I could be as bad at my job as Angel Hernandez and still get paid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

highly annoying

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Lady announcer at the end says: "Remember kids, don't be like that guy"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

highly annoying

Also illegal in mlb and by association I assume most us baseball leagues

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel like this guy has come up before in these threads

One bad thing about the new IBB rule is you can't accidentally drill Angel in the chest or mask on an IBB

e: Ronel Blanco's 44 outs before giving up a hit to start the season is the most in the expansion era :getin:

The Athletic posted:

Nevertheless, it’s a stunning start to the season for Blanco, who retired 44 hitters before giving up a hit. Per MLB’s Sarah Langs, that’s (at least) an expansion-era record, topping the 35 retired by Austin Cox of the Royals, all the way back in … last year.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 8, 2024

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
now that sports science has optiimized training and development of pitchers who are 5'10" to throw near 100mph there will never again be a shortage of UCLs for the UCL god. very sad day and only the chad innings eaters can save us

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lance Lynn and miles mikolas hock a giant wad of poo poo onto the ground as they rudely adjust their huge nut sacks. It’s their time now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I would bean the poo poo out of this guy, lol.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I wish I could be as bad at my job as Angel Hernandez and still get paid.

Become a cop

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/sunshinevvn/status/1777173790612676885

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gonna be in the bleachers for the game on the 19th vs the Marlins and it's going to rule.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1777344207658844480

I love the big green dot in the middle of the zone

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I mean it's literally his name. Has there ever been someone named Lolita in the WNBA?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I mean it's literally his name. Has there ever been a Lolita in the WNBA?

please clarify that you're referring to a name :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

please clarify that you're referring to a name :v:

I did before you even pointed it out :ninja:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees should do one of those 14 year contracts with Volpe.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I hope he becomes so successful and popular that they have a yearly convention honoring him. A Shota-con, if you will.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They just need to put a what's it called, a macron?, over the o; the name is Shōta, in the other term the o sound is not elongated.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

i don't get it, what is so funny about supporting your cool, good, and coincidentally also my best friend pitcher?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dodgers fans please don't do this for Enrique Hernandez.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what the joke is on "Shota" and I'm definitely not looking it up to find out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The joke is that he's going to run away with NL MVP, ROY, and CYA and everyone else is jealous

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know what the joke is on "Shota" and I'm definitely not looking it up to find out.

yeah don't it's an anime thing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I know I haven't exactly been tuned into baseball this season but I wasn't expecting to find out Paul DeJong isn't on the Cards by now via seeing him on NASA's eclipse livestream

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Popete posted:

yeah don't it's an anime thing

I’ll take a gross anime thing over guys wearing the loving rice paddy hats like they did when Fukudome came here.

I totally saw a guy at Wrigley in the rice paddy hat this week.