Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

TadBradley posted:

Jeanne Tripplehorn?

You got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Red Rox posted:

She was never a leading lady, mostly supporting roles.

I won't stand idly by for this senseless Mickey Blue Eyes erasure

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ha ok I need to watch that one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Red Rox posted:

Ha ok I need to watch that one.

I assure you, you do not. Even the most hardcore TripleHead would likely have trouble with that one.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I assure you, you do not. Even the most hardcore TripleHead would likely have trouble with that one.

Yeah, as silly as I think the /s sarcasm indicator is, I really should have used one if the alternative is a well-meaning goon forcing themselves to watch that movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i've never seen mickey blue eyes and i probably never will, but as a native new yorker i've sent this clip to many people throughout the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Xu9UcOdj0

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
“Let’s watch something neither of us have seen, going into things blind is fun”

“Last Night in Soho I pretty good I think, it’s by that guy who did Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, I think it’s a time travel dramady”

“Sounds great!”

We liked it

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

What the gently caress guys, that movie sucked :mad:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Every time I remember Last Night in Soho, I get more angry about it. The scares are repetitive and boring, the overall message is so confusing, and the epilogue could basically exist without the entire rest of the movie happening. We’ve had this argument before, but Edgar Wright really needs to just stick with Simon Pegg co-writing his movies.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Baby Driver and Last Night in SoHo’s biggest problems are mostly in their third acts, I heavily suspect BD’s ending was rewritten as a studio mandate for being too sad or something.

I try to defend Wright because I think Hot Fuzz is like one of the top three comedies ever made but it’s getting increasingly difficult to do as he’s made three bad movies in a row now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The World’s End is pretty good up until the finale which, cathartic as it might have been for Simon Pegg to process his substance abuse issues in the movie, did not make for great cinema when it was just Simon Pegg yelling the film’s themes at a computer.

But we do have to give it up for Shaun of the Dead and especially Hot Fuzz, both of those are certified bangers, and Hot Fuzz is about as close to perfect as a movie can get.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The ending of The World’s End was good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Following up Hot Fuzz was an impossible task.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Last Night in Soho was absolute dogshit and I found Baby Driver so annoying that I stopped after about 25 minutes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved Baby Driver. (Not seen Last Night In Soho tho.) Thought BD was fun and clever and had good editing and chases and stuff. Pretty much all I wanted from it I got.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My main issue with Baby Driver is the first time I watched it was shortly after the accusations against Kevin Spacey became public, and while I think it's completely fine to enjoy media involving terrible people (I still think Annie Hall is a hilarious movie, OJ is great in the Naked Gun films) when that stuff is fresh it really colors a viewing.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU

Baby Driver is just a feature-length version of this music video.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus, british music is dogshit

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't know if I found Ansel Elgort incredibly annoying or if that was meant to be his character, and while Lily James can sometimes almost be a decent actor, she was certainly not in BD.

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus, American music is dogshit.

It's almost like making broad generalisations about a country or culture isn't very smart!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gaius Marius posted:

You’ve posted a lot of dumb poo poo, but this is maybe the dumbest of all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are you talking about, Britain is famous for never having a popular international band. I literally can't think of a single popular band to ever come out of the UK. There's none, just none.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I kind of wish World’s End had been a straight-up dramedy about substance abuse instead of a Cornetto film with genre elements. Cos I like all the “real world” stuff and it’s kind of a drag when the aliens appear - they’re way less interesting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's only one video to post if you want to prove the enduring legacy of British music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOVT5ujsr8s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He has a point if you limit “British music” to music that is popular only in Britain. Any good stuff they do gets popular overseas, the stuff that stays on the island can be pretty dire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

He has a point if you limit “British music” to music that is popular only in Britain. Any good stuff they do gets popular overseas, the stuff that stays on the island can be pretty dire.

That's actually a good point. I consider it a point of pride as an American that Robbie Williams never got big here.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

That’s true about most countries, isn’t it?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

There's only one video to post if you want to prove the enduring legacy of British music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOVT5ujsr8s

This isn't a Spice Girls music video wtf

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobster Henry posted:

I kind of wish World’s End had been a straight-up dramedy about substance abuse instead of a Cornetto film with genre elements. Cos I like all the “real world” stuff and it’s kind of a drag when the aliens appear - they’re way less interesting.

My problem with World's End is that it's just not funny. I get that it speaks to a lot of people in their 30s and it has a lot to say about its characters, but at the end of the day it's a mopey lecturing dramedy that never rises above a mild chuckle. The body snatchers stuff never manages to be more than a mid homage, and it felt contrived and not well-integrated into the narrative. I like the sandbox it's playing in, but it falls flat on its own merits, let alone the inevitable comparison to Shaun of the Dead and (especially) Hot Fuzz.

It wasn't so bad that I didn't watch Baby Driver, but Baby Driver was bad enough that I didn't watch SOHO. I hope his next is a return to form, but it's hard to get jazzed about anything new coming out. Maybe I'd be excited about him doing a remake of A Fistful of Fingers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dune Part 2 was real good. Although I didn't think they leaned into Paul is a monster.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

The ending of The World’s End was good.

The denouement where he becomes king Arthur is, but X-ray is correct that the climax being like, a basic bitch r/atheism rant is pretty lame

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hollismason posted:

Dune Part 2 was real good. Although I didn't think they leaned into Paul is a monster.

They skipped most of the book to just focus on the religion stuff, which leads to the monster thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, you guys caught me slipping I forgot about Duran Duran

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk how they could have focused on Paul being a monster harder without flashing neon signs saying so tbh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If you are wondering who the good guys in the movie are it’s probably not the guys launching atomic weapons

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do want to rewatch Mickey Blue Eyes, I liked it when I was a kid anyway. How bad could it be. Ditto for Houseguest with Sinbad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

I do this with any movie over 2 hours although I watched Oppenheimer in one go.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jay Rust posted:

Yep, and it's no big deal. If anything it's a valuable tool for getting more movies in! In general over the years I didn't, but maybe in the past 5 years or so I have, when watching stuff by myself. Usually 2 sittings tops, but for a lower totem pole movie maybe 3 for say rewatching that Tom Hanks movie Dragnet. And in those cases it can be picking it up the next day too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Only if it's crazy long (3.5+ hours) or I get real sleepy. Usually if I stop a movie halfway through I don't go back for the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Jay Rust posted:

On rare occasions I'll have to split up watching a movie between two nights. I'm not free to start watching a movie until 830 most nights (and I'm usually up at 530 on weekdays) so anything over 2 hours can risk getting split up if I start getting too tired. I don't like to do it but ultimately it's better than trying to finish a movie while I'm mostly asleep.