Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Red Sox are signing OF Ceddanne Rafaela to an extension, but the terms are not yet known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know what the joke is on "Shota" and I'm definitely not looking it up to find out.

The right call

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Red Sox are signing OF Ceddanne Rafaela to an extension, but the terms are not yet known

The Yankees NEVER do this so they always end up overpaying for every player.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic finally admitting his disappointment the Yankees didn’t sign Gleyber long term.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
it's easy enough to figure out what shota means based on kevlar's post :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

mcmagic finally admitting his disappointment the Yankees didn’t sign Gleyber long term.

This doesn't really make sense because A) He would have been cheaper for probably the last 3 years. and B) He would've been more tradable and C) If they do end up re signing him after this season he will be way more expensive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Imo, an odd decision considering the glaring questions about Ceddanne's bat.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I don't know a single thing about anime and you can't make me learn

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

howe_sam posted:

Imo, an odd decision considering the glaring questions about Ceddanne's bat.

Listen, the Red Sox have had a Rusney Castillo shaped hole in the org for years now.

Bregor posted:

I don't know a single thing about anime and you can't make me learn

Amazing avatar/post combo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know more than i want to know. And I could probably guess. But I’m not confirming. Don’t need that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1777426691331346477

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1777426359591072225

god I love that sound

I don't even care that it was a yankee

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stanton’s struggles have really just made him angrier at the baseball when he does hit it.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://x.com/mlb/status/1777423958888890704?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw
This is cool as hell

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they turned the lights on in Cleveland too for some dumb reason

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1777423958888890704

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Speaking of (Throwing) Armageddon:
https://x.com/aria1exander/status/1777415366672798144?s=46&t=ywFxcrbWhCCHyr-qE6DyhQ

What's really wild is this is the only source for this. Everybody else has picked it up as a news item citing this dude (who is a Houston-area anchor) but somehow nobody, not even the Astros beat writers, has actually confirmed it or gotten an answer why?!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intruder posted:

it's easy enough to figure out what shota means based on kevlar's post :v:

i still have no fuckin' clue and i hope the person who made that tweet originally gets pushed into more lockers than they already are

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Speaking of (Throwing) Armageddon:
https://x.com/aria1exander/status/1777415366672798144?s=46&t=ywFxcrbWhCCHyr-qE6DyhQ

What's really wild is this is the only source for this. Everybody else has picked it up as a news item citing this dude (who is a Houston-area anchor) but somehow nobody, not even the Astros beat writers, has actually confirmed it or gotten an answer why?!

I notice the L in Alexander has been replaced by a 1

e: henley has a career 5.13 ERA in the minors, surely there's someone else they could give a spot start to if this is true

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I notice the L in Alexander has been replaced by a 1

e: henley has a career 5.13 ERA in the minors, surely there's someone else they could give a spot start to if this is true

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1777441967728660766

A very confusing afternoon of baseball news.

EDIT: Henley isn't even on the 40-man!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 8, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Framber looked directly at the eclipse :(

hopefully not

e: of course the fact that they're bothering to address the media makes it seems like it's at least true that Henley is starting

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Good thing the Astros beefed up the rotation after all the injuries in spring training...oh wait.

Edit: Elbow soreness for the Framber. Pitch clock gremlin strikes again

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn I hate the MLB app widgets on android. This game is tomorrow at 2:10PM. This poo poo has been like this for years and has tricked me into thinking a game was today so many times it's crazy.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Seriously we’ll need a new gif at this rate

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

maffew buildings posted:

now that sports science has optiimized training and development of pitchers who are 5'10" to throw near 100mph there will never again be a shortage of UCLs for the UCL god. very sad day and only the chad innings eaters can save us

Big Game James, your hour has come

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shota is the tenth most popular boys name in Japan. Weebs stop being creepy for five seconds challenge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1777501332858982698

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Angels are about to be tied for the division lead

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

N: The Guardians win their home opener game, going 8-2 in their first 10 games, with a Run Differential of +36 (57 RS, 21 RA), highest in the entire MLB.

V: I know part of it is that the Guardians haven't faced a team over .500 yet, but neither have the Yankees, so some of this is classic MLB writer "it's AL Central, who cares" bias which pisses me off. The Guardians are red hot right now and MLB's completely asleep. PAY ATTENTION TO MY TEAM WHEN IT'S GOOD YOU FUCKS! :argh:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

The Angels are about to be tied for the division lead

nobody getting that bingo card.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
We gotta shut this whole thing down, end the season now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

We gotta shut this whole thing down, end the season now.

well if you really want the cubs to finish behind the brewers

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Remember when Jed traded a decent hitting prospect for Cuas.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Get me Edwards Jr and Dick Lovelady on the next plane to San Diego STAT

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Dodgers fans please don't do this for Enrique Hernandez.

Seeing it in this context, I'm sort of shocked this wasn't a Curb plot at some point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GOMS

😭

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

DFA Cuas please and thank you

I had assumed Cuas was out of options but he's not! Send him to Iowa right meow. Need more Dick Lovelady in my life

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone pointed out that if Framber also goes down, then right now JV, Framber, LMC, Garcia, and Urquidy are all out, which is a whole goddamn major league rotation.

Fast Luck posted:

Was thinking about all pitchers dying some more and the problem with the incentives pitchers have in trying to maximize spin and velocity. Even if you moved the mound up or raised or did anything else to help out pitchers, unless you completely break the game, they're still going to want to maximize their results. But I do think the teams have more incentive to keep pitchers' arms from falling off. This isn't like the NFL where a team can just grind their running back up and discard him when they're done. These guys are getting hurt as rookies. I saw an article that says in the past, there were relatively few Tommy John surgeries for younger people and amateurs and then the volume increased as you get into the major leagues, but that now it's actually inverted and there are more high schoolers getting it than major leaguers!

Teams are using up valuable years of team control rehabbing, or they're burning teams who made a big free agent offer. It would actually be in a team's interest to instruct pitchers in its system in safer throwing practices, knowing more may flame out and have to latch on elsewhere later on, just so they can find the guys who can more safely find a repeatable pitching approach that allows for durability. (This still doesn't actually solve anything because there's no clear point where suddenly velocity and spin goes from hunky dory to exploding your elbow, but it's at least a path I found some sense in as I was thinking on it. Maybe a team could just try to develop 25 knuckeballers at once and get a few to break through.)

FWIW JV has a similar opinion:
https://twitter.com/AriA1exander/status/1777087162296492141

Though he thinks that the approach to pitching changed with the allegedly juiced balls in 2016, which meant you had to miss bats now instead of pitch to contact.

This was from an Athletic article about the rash of pitching injuries, which isn't actually a rash yet

quote:

Theoretically, if you ask an athlete to do the same amount of work in less time, you’re increasing their fatigue. That’s something so basic it shouldn’t require supporting research, but before Dr. Mike Sonne went to work for the Cubs, he wrote for The Athletic about how that works. And how that fatigue should lead to more injuries.

The weird thing is… it hasn’t. Yet. Not at the major-league level.

Despite an early surge in injuries in the first year of the clock, once the year finished, there was no real discernible difference in injury rates. And because March and April are the biggest months for injury list placements, it wouldn’t make much sense to report this year’s injury rates as a big predictor, not until we sum it all up in the end again. The increase in injuries on the major-league level has been a slow burn, not a big spike. The one caveat is that minor-league UCL injuries have exploded since the pitch clock was first introduced in 2018, going from 152 in 2017 to consistently over 200 in each of the past three seasons. (Then again, there were only 86 UCL injuries in the minors in 2011, so there’s more happening here.)

It’s probably most accurate to say that the clock has some role, but that role is undefined as of now, and there’s a longer trend at play, so it can’t all be the clock.

Basically, whatever you think the problem is, it's probably contributing.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Someone pointed out that if Framber also goes down, then right now JV, Framber, LMC, Garcia, and Urquidy are all out, which is a whole goddamn major league rotation.

Blanco will simply throw shutouts and no hitters 149 more times.