Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Halo14 posted:

Hell yeah. Looking back now I'm suprised Mum got me that thing. Only had that one game and she definitely couldn't just buy new batteries every time they ran out.

Somebody didn't know the trick that you could play for another 3 minutes and pray you were able to sav again before the power cut. it was like the prepubescent equivalent of pull and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

It's funny how Sony outsold Nintendo by so much in that and the PS2 era yet Nintendo indisputably produced far more memorable games that far better stood the test of time. No one is playing anything from the PlayStation today in any significant amount, and they're certainly not playing anything as much as people still play Mario Kart 64 or Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time.

Western opinion. Also, like, totally wrong. Metal Gear Solid is one of the best games of all time. FF7? Castlevania SOTN (Castlevania 64 is ATROCIOUS. Test of time my rear end!) Gran Turismo?

The PlayStation absolutely had better racing games too and it wasn’t even remotely close. I think you underestimate exactly how beloved the early PS1 is.

Outside of first party titles the N64 was a desert. It ate poo poo so badly in Japan itself Nintendo basically was a handheld company until the Wii U rolled around. Sega sold nearly twice as many Saturns, for example.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

Ridge Racer Type 4 blows anything on the N64 out of the water on every front

It does.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is this where I can say Megaman Legends 1 & 2 were a better 3D Zelda than the N64 3D Zelda’s?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The PS1 also had a bunch of weird and unique games, particularly from 1994-1997, while the N64 outside of its first party had a bunch of derivative crap like Turok or that bullshit trash garbage South Park FPS, or DK64. If you loved boring rear end tedious platformers by Western Developers N64 was your bag.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is this where I can say Megaman Legends 1 & 2 were a better 3D Zelda than the N64 3D Zelda’s?

Yeah. So was Brave Fencer Musashi. Fight me. The N64 history is insanely revisionist and it’s legacy is mostly Americans and Brits wearing rose coloured glasses.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

3D zeldas are bad, don't play them. hth and save everyone some time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that said, Donkey Kong 94 on the GameBoy is an all-time game

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Full Collapse posted:

How about a new derail: N64 v PlayStation

I owned an n64 and loved it, got my first ever job so I could buy one. :okboomer:

I do wonder how much better it would have been had it been a cd system instead of cartridge.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

The n64 was also $300 aus vs $700 aus for the PS1.

My friend had a ps1 and it was awesome, and I did eventually own one with a mod chip.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I don't know if I've ever known as much joy as playing goldeneye multiplayer on a Saturday night sleepover in middle school.

Add pizza and life has been pretty much downhill from that.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the mega drive (much better name than genesis) owned.

playstation beats N64 cos it had more rad racing games. gran turismo, ridge racer, colin mcrae rally, v-rally, toca, destruction derby, wipeout etc etc the list goes on

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

all good 90's memories involve 4-person goldeneye shootfests deep into the night or playing OOT all winter break.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I was a big Battle Arena Toshiden 2 fan, my friend and I played the poo poo out of it!

Golden Eye was fun, but having been playing fps games on pc for a few years, it wasn't that impressive to me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone knows the best 90s racing game was Big Red Racing.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Imagine playing a console that wasn't able to have voice acting or FMVs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The PS1 had Grand Theft Auto

Aphex- posted:

That jump was higher than a martian on helium!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

Imagine playing a console that wasn't able to have voice acting or FMVs

no dude its fine the 15 second looping sample of Police Truck in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 is just as good as the PS1 version

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QVpwqApZw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that game rules, and it has every F1 driver who started the 97 season with a team in it except for Jacques Villeneuve, who's portrait is blank and is named DRIVERONE WILLIAMS because he copyrighted his own name and likeness lol

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think in the manual he's "John Newtown" or something for extra taking the piss.

Lola are in the manual but not the game iirc.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol i was like 10 when i had that game and always wondered what was up with driverone. i thought it was who they wanted the player to play as or something.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aphex- posted:

Because everyone in Britain knows everyone else, no matter what we tell you, I know the lead programmer of this so I sent him that post.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Waiting for Stroll edition of some racing genre playable on consoles.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dudley posted:

Because everyone in Britain knows everyone else, no matter what we tell you, I know the lead programmer of this so I sent him that post.

This makes me happy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Perfect Dark was 10x better than GoldenEye

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Frond posted:

it’s legacy is mostly Americans and Brits wearing rose coloured glasses.

Are we back to talking about F1?

Russian Bear posted:

Add pizza and life has been pretty much downhill from that.

What I wouldn't give for a night like that again.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Perfect Dark was 10x better than GoldenEye

It never had the same staying power. I remember playing it a few times but for some reason it didn't come close to bond. Iirc wasn't it pretty rough performance wise?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Residency Evil posted:

It never had the same staying power. I remember playing it a few times but for some reason it didn't come close to bond. Iirc wasn't it pretty rough performance wise?

It performed the same, if not better, and had bots for 16-player multiplayer iirc

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Residency Evil posted:

It came out a little late in the N64 lifecycle, but was in all aspects an improvement to Goldeneye.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aphex- posted:

This makes me happy.

He says, and I quote, "Hazzah!"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It performed the same, if not better, and had bots for 16-player multiplayer iirc

Dictator. posted:

It came out a little late in the N64 lifecycle, but was in all aspects an improvement to Goldeneye.

This was probably it. It looks like Halo came out the year after.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Perfect Dark is 1.5x better than Halo :colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Its really weird to think about Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters coming out in the same year

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

george russell seems like the kind of guy who would pick oddjob when you play him at goldeneye

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

george russell seems like the kind of guy who would pick oddjob when you play him at goldeneye

And slappers only

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

Western opinion. Also, like, totally wrong. Metal Gear Solid is one of the best games of all time. FF7? Castlevania SOTN (Castlevania 64 is ATROCIOUS. Test of time my rear end!) Gran Turismo?

The PlayStation absolutely had better racing games too and it wasn’t even remotely close. I think you underestimate exactly how beloved the early PS1 is.

Outside of first party titles the N64 was a desert. It ate poo poo so badly in Japan itself Nintendo basically was a handheld company until the Wii U rolled around. Sega sold nearly twice as many Saturns, for example.

I don't think you read the post you're replying to

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Dudley posted:

I think in the manual he's "John Newtown" or something for extra taking the piss.

I think that was in Grand Prix Manager 2? Googling it it seems like it was John Newhouse, I always wondered who tf he was lmao

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4GX_d8Qj4

as always when f1 games come up i have to drop the amiga version of the chain because it rules and microprose gp was my first f1 game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Perfect Dark is 1.5x better than Halo :colbert:

There have been some goddamn takes in the F1 thread, but this? Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Halo is a terrible game that console kids massively overrate because they had never seen a PC shooter before