Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Magnetic North posted:

It's the secondhand smoke thing. Fat people aren't going to make others around them fat except by encouraging them to also run out to get Krispy Kreme from the aroma.

no but they are a burden on tax-payer funded healthcare systems, because it turns out you are not healthy at any size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I've been a chainsmoker since I was 24. I'm not particularly proud of it (I've tried quitting numerous times) and I have complete understanding for some people who are very sensitive to it. I live alone so while I do usually smoke indoors, when I have guests over I always offer to go outside for my cigarette. At work I avoid sitting in the landscape office because I'm well aware some people will even find the residual smell of my smoke break off-putting. I've also never had a problem with many public spaces having become smoke-free.

I will say this however: there is a small subsection of people who do treat smokers like some people treated fat people 25 years ago. It's like they finally found a socially acceptable target to offload all their latent social anger onto. This rangers from strangers conspicuously fake-coughing when passing me by (while I'm a designated zone for smokers, no less) or random folk asking me if I'm aware smoking is bad for my health to some clearly convinced my nicotine addiction is, if not a huge moral failure, something I'm intentionally doing to upset others.

I think smoking made a lot of people very miserable for a very long time and the difference is crystal clear now that it's mostly gone from their lives. And maybe back in the smoking years, the miserable people were told to suck it up, it's not that bad, etc. So coming out with "people are rude to me because I smoke" is going to get some testy responses!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you want to quit smoking they should make it so you can notify the DMV and they will issue a new driver's licence that says you quit smoking and can't buy tobacco products.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

My Spirit Otter posted:

no but they are a burden on tax-payer funded healthcare systems, because it turns out you are not healthy at any size

Aaand there it is. There's always someone doing this.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If you want to quit smoking they should make it so you can notify the DMV and they will issue a new driver's licence that says you quit smoking and can't buy tobacco products.

That would never work, on multiple levels.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tarkus posted:

I've always felt that in order to truly get rid of smoking they should have a set birth date, say Jan 1 2006, and anyone born before that cannot buy cigarettes. That way, people who are smoking can continue and people who aren't of age can never walk into a store and buy smokes. I mean the idea is fraught with some problems but, still...

didn't new zealand announce they were going to do this then backpedal on it?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redshirt posted:

That would never work, on multiple levels.

Maybe if the store is all on one floor

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Desert Bus posted:

Every year they should raise the minimum age you can buy cigarettes by one year.

The UK have been muttering about this for a while, but nothing will happen before the next election when the Tories will (almost certainly) be kicked out, so it depends if Labour develop a Pete-like spine and actually have some policies, or decide not to rock the boat in case someone gets upset

Apparently this was inspired by similar legislation in New Zealand... which has now been cancelled in order to fund tax cuts with the cigarette revenue

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for dumping my GF after moving in with her

quote:

I 25M, moved in with my gf 24f of four years, three weeks ago. She chose the place and although her name is on the lease I paid half of the deposit and paid the first month of rent as she couldn't afford it. I also paid the first month of bills. She works part time and has some savings she used to furniture the place according to her taste despite my objections. I felt she overspent and the money could have been better spent on other things.

she had a few friends over on Monday when I came home. She had ordered food and as I normally come home from work at five she was surprised to see me there an hour earlier. They were a little drunk and one of her friend made strange comments, which I thought nothing of due to the alcohol as I went to the bathroom to shower.

When I came out from the shower her other friends and sister was quoting me poetry that I had written to my gf, and was quite handsy. I found it odd and asked her where she had heard that. She goes we just read your loveletters to her before watching a movie. My gf was laughing with them. Her sister made a remark about how she wanted me to do her the way I do her sister because she had never felt that way. I was furious but due to her drunkeness thought it impossible to talk to her.

I left for my mother's house.

On Tuesday she called me seventeen times but I ignored it. she also sent many text wanting to know why I wasn't home.

On Wednesday I told her in person how hurt I was for her sharing my intimate letters with her friends, and for oversharing what we do in private. She said relax it was a joke and nobody got hurt. She said the girls were impressed with me and that is why they got a little handsy. She said once I gave her the letters they were hers to share with whom she pleased. So I told her that I am my own person and can make the decision to not share more of myself with her.

Today she came to my mother's apologising. She wanted me to come back and talk it out with her. I told her no, and that we were through. She wouldn't leave so I drove to my father's place, where I am now. She kep texting me and telling me that I should be ashamed of myself for leaving her like that. She got her friends and sister to apologise to me and they told me to quit playing games and go home now that they had apologised. I told them I was home and that as my name was not on the lease and I wasn't respected as an equal in her home I no longer wanted to be with her.

Luckily for me I hadn't moved most of my stuff there. She kept phoning and texting and I blocked her. She then made a mutual male friend of ours contact me and tell me that I was being a bitch about it. So I blocked him too. Then his gf texted me and told me not to take things out or proportion.

I am almost certain I did the right thing, but maybe I should talk it out with her before cutting all contact.

OP: I'm hurt by this thing you did!
Ex: Hey no one got hurt.

Gender swapped version of this would lead to the police being called.

Hey! There was an update to this!

UPDATE: AITAH for dumping my gf after moving in with her.

quote:

After reading a lot of the advice here and talking it out with my family and friends it seems it's best to not continue my relationship. I haven't contacted her directly but I went with my brother and my friend while she went to visit her parents..prebooked trip.... I collected my things and gave my brother the key to give to her Friday evening. She wouldn't take it from him as she wanted me to return it. My brother told her there was zero chance of that happening because of the tiktok post she had on her account going into more details about what was in the letters from me including her mentioning my sister by name and her miscarriages.

This forced my sister to tell my mother about it even though it brought up a lot of trauma for her. At the moment my sister is not talking to me, because she felt I shouldn't have shared that with anyone. I agree. It was a violation on my part even though I was looking for emotional support from my gf. My ex took down the post in hopes of getting me to meet with her.

When she realised that wouldn't happen she put up another one telling her side of the story. There were several parts and in it she was looking for the letters to show her followers, but I knew where she kept them and took them while I went to collect my stuff. I burnt all of them. I won't be writing letters to any new romantic partners anytime soon.

Her sister has been to my my mother's a few times trying to get me to help out with the rent as according to my exes reasoning if I hadn't agreed to pay for the rent she wouldn't have overspent on setting up her home the way she wanted. Even if she sells the stuff she won't get the original price for it, so she feels it's my fault for making her lose money.

She did contact the landlord...filmed for her tiktok viewers while she was on the phone to him... and he denied her breaking the lease without penalties, She has to pay the remainder of the months.

I asked her for my deposit through my friend while he was on the loudspeaker to her so I could hear her side without having to speak...knowing full well I wouldn't get my part, but at least he tried. She called him a lot of names. Then phoned him back and apologised because she wanted him to tell me to phone her so she could straighten out the misunderstanding, and we could get back together.

She has now taken down all the posts about me, don't know if she will upload them again once it dawns on her that we are through.

She phoned my brother again to make me speak to her so she could explain, and he met her a few hours ago. He finally gave her the key as she was told either she could take it or we would return it to the landlord. He picked up a call from her an hour after he dropped off the keys. She wanted to talk to me and to forgive her as she had seen how she made a mistake and that it wouldn't happen again. She wanted me to return the loveletters, but my brother told her they were burnt. She had a go at him so my brother cut her off.

She phoned back more apologetic and said what she had to do to make me go back. He asked her if she would be okay with me sharing her nudes and clip she has sent me with my male friends. He asked her this without okaying it with me first. She said she wouldn't be okay with it. I guess the double standard has completely turned me off as she told my brother that if you receive something through a romantic relationship then it stay between four eyes. It's not that she doesn't understand that what she did is wrong, it's that she expects me to be okay with it as in her mind her feelings matter more in the relationship. She also thinks that me being taller and bigger than her shouldn't have felt threathened by her friends or sisters as I was in not really in harms way.

He then blocked her as she phoned him several times over and left him crying messages and then some angry messages to delete her nudes.

Her sister left an angry message with the friend that helped me with asking for the deposit and she threathened him that if I ever leaked her nudes I wouldn't live to regret it. She told him to pass on the message to me that there is something she is very insecure about sharing about her body and she doesn't want me to share that without her consent.

I am getting a new number as I can do so with my current payment plan. I am going forward from this and hoping that I make better decisions in the fututre.

Thank you to all that helped me with good avice.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Hey! There was an update to this!

wait what's this about miscarriages??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Maybe if the store is all on one floor

Like a Super Wal Mart?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What a dumbass friend "How would you like it if he shared your nudes with all his bros?"

Like thanks dude. OP was not going to do that ever but now his ex thinks he is doing that

mystes
May 31, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is a huge difference between smoking in public, which actively harms the health of other people, and simply failing to take every possible step that would improve your health and thereby potentially causing additional costs to healthcare systems.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Not part of the OP's current relationship drama except as an example of something OP mentioned to his girlfriend in confidence that she put on blast when she went to mine his letters for Content.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My Spirit Otter posted:

Whoopdeefuckingdoo, at least you can't get cancer from hanging around people bigger than you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What to say to my (32F) neighbour (32F) who blew up on me 2 years ago and is now apologizing (because she misses my husband)?

quote:

Backgound:

My husband and I moved into our house 3 years ago and instantly became very close friends with the neighbours (husband and wife) that we share a backyard fence with.

Long story short, 2 years ago the wife blew up at me, called me a bunch of stuff I can never forgive (including "useless oval office"), and also made it clear she is into my husband (hindsight being 20-20 we both now see signs had been there).

The day after she sent me an "apology" text which was a non-apology basically saying "I meant what i said but I shouldn't have said it." . She asked if we could still be friends, I declined and she blew up on me again.

A few months after our friendship ended, she blew up her own life and left her husband and kids.

I had heard they may be trying to get back together but didn't concern myself with their life. My husband has kept a larger distance but still hangs out with the husband once in a while, a beer here and there, some projects together in the garage (note - the neighbour wife loves garage projects and used to love hanging out during this).

So, this takes us to the issue.

Yesterday, my husband went over there for a beer. I told him to have fun. An hour later I get a text from the wife. It basically says "I know I said rude things to you in the past, I was wondering if I can apologize to you in person. Let me know when you're free to meet."

This isn't rocket science. I knew right away that she needs something. She misses being able to hang with my husband. Maybe she wants her old life back. My husband came back and I said "let me guess, wife is there?" He confirms she was and that they are back together, and that she was apparently pissed off that she couldn't hang in the garage with them. Could she be more obvious?

Anyway, I don't owe her my time, I have zero interest in giving her space in my life, and even if i was interested, I can't trust her.

So I'm not going to reply. However, I do believe she will eventually see my in my yard now that spring is here and try to have this conversation with me in person. She has a history of being polite until she is told no, and she has a victim mentality, so I want to approach this in a very clear way without giving her ammo to sat I wronged her somehow.

Can anyone help me come up with a sort of "script" if/when she tries to say all of this to me in person?

What to say? Maybe try, "gently caress off bitch."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ex girlfriend explicitly talked about OP's sister having miscarriages on TikTok. Glad he got away from that loving ghoul, sad that she cared more about her image & OP having her nudes than about someone literally losing a child.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sharing the poetry with her friends seemed kind of like it could go either way (although she shouldn't have done it if it upset the OP) but it sounds like she will just broadcast any personal stuff to the entire world so the OP definitely made the right move in breaking up with her

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Would you like to make a gently caress?
BERSERKER

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oh no! My taxpayer funded healthcare system! It was doing so great until all those fat people showed up and ruined everything!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then there were the days where you'd walk into a restaurant and they'd ask "smoking or non-smoking?" and the difference was literally one side of the building or the other. The smoke was everywhere regardless.

Hey, I remember that when going out to restaurants as a kid!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh no! My taxpayer funded healthcare system! It was doing so great until all those fat people showed up and ruined everything!

It's just like how my taxpayer funded education system was going great until people with learning difficulties ruined it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

I work for the federal government as a staffer for one of the regional Death Panels that were set up with Obamacare and I spend day after day on stakeout outside Arby’s writing down license plates to submit to a judge for a Death Warrant. This is a solved problem. Thanks, Obama.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I recently visited NY for the first time in 25 years with my extended family. We all grew up there and so part of it we went to places we used to go growing up. One of which was a diner on Long Island that when I left in the late '90s had two complete HVAC systems with HEPA filters on one of them, and a separate glass walled 'smoking section' from the outside it looked like frosted glass. But the 'smoking/non' really did work there. Now in the 2020s the glass room is there but it's just a separate dining room.

Moving from smoking NY to non-smoking Colorado in the late 90s was a huge change. My boss in CO explained that it was only a few years ago that they stopped letting you smoke in the office building and many conference rooms still had ash trays.

Oh yeah I went to Mississippi for work a few years back and people were smoking in restaurants. Was a real blast from the past.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mordiceius posted:

What an idiot! When TikTok Relationship Court clears her name and forces him to move back in with her, he's gonna have hell to pay. To saying nothing of what's in store for the landlord.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Regarding smoking - my parents smoked when I was younger, but I was lucky in that they would always go outside/to the garage to do so. My mother hated the smell of smoke in the house. My mom and stepdad both still smoke. My mother is down to about 5 cigarettes a day while my stepdad is down to like 10-15 a day (he used to be a 3+ packs a day chainsmoker). Regardless, I"m glad that I was mostly saved from having to experience that as it was done outside-ish.

When I used to be in the military, I tried smoking for a while. Mainly because smokers were basically given freedom to take 10 minute breaks every hour to go smoke and non smokers weren't. I tried for a week or two and then didn't like it and grew bored so I didn't continue.

Smoking is lame and boring.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The US spends like $200 billion a year in healthcare costs associated with obesity and it's various comorbidities. Smoking is closer to $300 billion. We're kinda poo poo at taking care of ourselves, tbh.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
All right cut the derail off and let's move on

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The US spends like $200 billion a year in healthcare costs associated with obesity and it's various comorbidities. Smoking is closer to $300 billion. We're kinda poo poo at taking care of ourselves, tbh.

Smoking generates money for the for profit healthcare system and culls members of the population early, reducing costs for nursing homes, end of life care, and social security. Smoking should be encouraged.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

AITAH for opening my marriage to avoid alimony.

quote:

I live in a state where, if adultery is the cause for a divorce, you can get out of paying alimony.

A while back my ex wife asked me if I would be interested in opening our marriage. She said we could both be more fulfilled and satisfied with our sex lives. I lost all feelings for her at that second. All emotions went black. I agreed. I told her that I wanted her to be discreet and I didn't want to know anything about what she did.

As soon as I collected all kinds of evidence of her cheating on me with her boss, whom I'm sure she was already sleeping with, I filed for divorce.

She tried saying I cheated too. I had not. She tried saying we had an open marriage. She had no evidence as our agreement was verbal. After a while she gave up. We divorced. Split our meager assets, our sizable debts, and we parted ways.

I ran into her a while back and she is having a hard time. Her and her boss both lost their jobs. They broke up after he convinced his wife to take him back. She is working two new jobs to afford a place to stay.

She blew up at me for "tricking her into cheating" to avoid alimony. I said nothing because she might have been trying to record me. I do feel bad for her but not having to support her has made my life so much better. I'm dating. I'm happy. I just think I might be the rear end in a top hat.

So I'm asking. Was I the rear end in a top hat?

I should mention this is obviously a throwaway and I'm on a Tor browser.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

liquidypoo posted:

quote:

... I should mention this is obviously a throwaway and I'm on a Tor browser...
"Sir, this rear end in a top hat is behind five proxies!"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

liquidypoo posted:

If you were so sure she was already cheating with her boss, you could have just found evidence of that instead of committing perjury.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you were so sure she was already cheating with her boss, you could have just found evidence of that instead of committing perjury.

yeah but that takes effort and it's easier to lie

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

liquidypoo posted:

One trick divorce lawyers hate!

Yah that's one handed written bait. I expect 5 more stories just like it to be posted in the next 2 months.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Let me know if this has been posted…
AITA for considering leaving my wife (32F) after her affair with my dad (48M) came to light, knowing that it would destroy my family’s dynamic?

So, here’s the situation. I (26M) recently found out that my wife (32F) of two years has been having an affair with my dad (48M) for about six months. This revelation came from my wife, who confessed out of guilt. My father also apologized for the affair. To complicate matters further, I discovered that my mom (49F) was aware of this affair and was oddly okay with it.

My wife has been incredibly apologetic since the confession and wants to continue our marriage, promising it was a mistake and that she wants to fix things. However, during our discussions, she admitted to enjoying the sexual relationship with my dad more than with me and mentioned that part of her love for me stems from the similarities she sees between me and my dad. This has left me feeling inadequate and betrayed on multiple levels.

I’m contemplating leaving my wife, but I’m aware this decision could completely dismantle the already strained relationships within my family. I’m conflicted because, despite the hurt, part of me still cares for her, but I also feel like staying could mean disrespecting myself. The whole situation is a mess, and I’m not sure if walking away makes me the rear end in a top hat here, considering the potential fallout.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Bro, it's not you that detonated your family.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who else would be detonated besides people who deserve it? The post doesn't mention any children, siblings, or extended family

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have to imagine that suddenly growing a spine would be very painful. Stay with your dad-fucker wife, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least their children will resemble him no matter what :v: