Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

LoLstros

I love this Royals team already.

7 straight wins. Two sweeps. Best run differential in baseball.

Bring on the Mets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

He isnt wrong Ohtani is a criminal and his sentence should be playing the rest of his contract out in Houston.

A burden we will carry for the good of the sport.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

zoux posted:

I didn’t watch but you dont give up…uh that many runs in one IP unless you’re tipping
I looked it up and holy poo poo :stare:
https://x.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1778497386689470554?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw
https://x.com/jayhaykid/status/1778495035522138197?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Exodor posted:

I love this Royals team already.

7 straight wins. Two sweeps. Best run differential in baseball.

Bring on the Mets

Okay so the Royals actually are good, they certainly seemed good in Baltimore

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are we sure Ohtani is capable of adulting by himself? Sounds like Ippei did literally everything for him

pars
Sep 7, 2011
Potential biggest winner and biggest loser is Ohtani's wife.

She avoids the spotlight because of massive gambling scandal.
But her new billionaire husband is also potentially the worst person at managing finances in the world.

Well, except for the guy who he was apparently letting manage his finances.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I really despise that there are no late night games on Thursday anymore, I don't get it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
One of the bookies texting Mizuhara this is pretty nuts:

"Hey Ippie, it’s 2 o’clock on Friday. I don’t know why you’re not returning my calls. I’m here in Newport Beach and I see [Shohei Ohtani] walking his dog. I’m just gonna go up and talk to him and ask how I can get in touch with you since you’re not responding?”

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huh, apparently Jared Jones just equalled Strasburg for swing and misses in his first 3 starts at 50

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

pars posted:

Potential biggest winner and biggest loser is Ohtani's wife.

She avoids the spotlight because of massive gambling scandal.
But her new billionaire husband is also potentially the worst person at managing finances in the world.

She straight up wins. Her husband now has a new opening for person that handles his money.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

pseudodragon posted:

She straight up wins. Her husband now has a new opening for person that handles his money.

And she loves same game parlays

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I assume the answer is yes, but is there a rule that prevents the catcher from hitting with his gear on?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ohtani is no Angel

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Furnaceface posted:

He isnt wrong Ohtani is a criminal and his sentence should be playing the rest of his contract out in Houston Detroit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Furnaceface posted:

He isnt wrong Ohtani is a criminal and his sentence should be playing the rest of his contract out in Houston.

they should deport him back to japan tbh

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I assume the answer is yes, but is there a rule that prevents the catcher from hitting with his gear on?

I don't think there's explicitly a rule against it, but the idea of trying to hit or run with catching gear on sounds like a massive loving pain

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Folks, Jose Cuas has been banished to Iowa. :toot:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Ohtani is a sweet innocent himbo, he did nothing wrong

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Folks, Jose Cuas has been banished to Iowa. :toot:

now do the rest of the bullpen!!!!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I don't think there's explicitly a rule against it, but the idea of trying to hit or run with catching gear on sounds like a massive loving pain

I dunno, late in a game, up big, catcher due up 1st - I want to see a catcher go gently caress it because he's too lazy to take off his gear

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

let's take a quick look at the guy jed hoyer traded for cuas

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Look there was just absolutely no place in the lineup for David to play Nelly V when you had insane impact bats like Tauchman, Mastrobuoni, and Madrigal in front of him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if you're going to trade him for a reliever at least trade him for a good reliever!!!!! we got a good year out of wade davis at least for soler.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Well it’s not like a few extra runs here and there may have made the difference in winning another game or two and gotten the Cubs into the playoffs or anything

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(david byrne voice) lovely pitcher. cuas you say? fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

But for the Rockets

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There used to be rules on how much protective 'armor' you could wear, but you got an exception for previous injuries: http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/2002/0318/1353635.html

I believe that would extend to catchers' gear, but wearing that poo poo would be extremely cumbersome and a hindrance overall.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

R.D. Mangles posted:

(david byrne voice) lovely pitcher. cuas you say? fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa

Runs runs runs, runs runs todayyyyy

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just even more proof (as though we needed any) that Dusty Baker was the greatest manager that ever lived

Espada paid attention to how to leave a pitcher in way too long, but not much else it seems.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AndrewP posted:

IF the starting pitchers stay healthy and Melendez, Pasqantino and Garcia take steps forward this year and Bobby Witt Jr. keeps playing like a MVP they're probably a .500 team. Once one or two of the starting pitchers inevitably gets hurt they will fall back to earth

They're definitely a lot more fun to watch this year, not just because they're winning (although that helps) but because they're doing that 2014-2015 Royals thing where they believe they're never out of a game.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Popete posted:

I'm going to guess that Ippei acted as interpreter over the phone and spoke in Japanese to imitate Ohtani and then in English as himself. It's unlikely some random bank person is going to be able to tell it's the same guy speaking in Japanese/English.

picturing him holding the phone out away from his head to speak japanese then put it up to his ear to speak english

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Memories flooding back of being in the on deck circle with shinguards on only for the inning to end, then being the first guy up having to rush into the dugout to get all that poo poo off again :argh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you search for MLB body armor on Google you dig up angry columns from 20 years ago about how elbow guards make a mockery of the sport.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/offbase/060531

Here’s Jim Caple whining that now pitchers can’t intimidate batters and people should start calling batters whiny pussies.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/1408/the-body-armor-ban-safety-takes-a-back-seat/

And here’s BP comparing banning body armor to banning batting helmets.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In a way I'm kind of relieved the Astros immediately suck this year. It makes it really easy to not care about this season.

I've watched maybe two games this year and I'm pretty okay with that. I'll check back in a week or two.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kirios posted:

In a way I'm kind of relieved the Astros immediately suck this year. It makes it really easy to not care about this season.

I've watched maybe two games this year and I'm pretty okay with that. I'll check back in a week or two.

lol, if you think american league west baseball will release you from its clutches so easily. a minimum of four teams in the division will be within 2 games of the division lead and 1 of a wildcard spot on September 25th.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I tried watching the O’s game when it was the mlb.tv free game of the day a few days back, thinking I could use vpn to get around the blackout (I live in Baltimore) but the page wouldn’t load. Turned off the vpn and it loaded and said it was blacked out.

Should I conclude from this that mlb.tv defeats the vpn workaround and therefore I shouldn’t shell out the $150 or whatever for the season? I was thinking about it since I just switched from regular cable to YouTube TV without investigating first if I’d be able to watch MASN.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

That plus sweeping the Sox makes me feel better about the O's brief struggles that I'm just going to assume are behind them. It's a shame Adley and Holliday are busts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Racing Stripe posted:

I tried watching the O’s game when it was the mlb.tv free game of the day a few days back, thinking I could use vpn to get around the blackout (I live in Baltimore) but the page wouldn’t load. Turned off the vpn and it loaded and said it was blacked out.

Should I conclude from this that mlb.tv defeats the vpn workaround and therefore I shouldn’t shell out the $150 or whatever for the season? I was thinking about it since I just switched from regular cable to YouTube TV without investigating first if I’d be able to watch MASN.

When I used Nord, MLB.tv wouldn't work.

Truth be told, I think Nord is the benchmark a lot of places use as what they need to beat. I stopped using Nord, because way too many websites could detect it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

let's take a quick look at the guy jed hoyer traded for cuas

The offense ain't the problem with the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you search for MLB body armor on Google you dig up angry columns from 20 years ago about how elbow guards make a mockery of the sport.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/offbase/060531

Here’s Jim Caple whining that now pitchers can’t intimidate batters and people should start calling batters whiny pussies.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/1408/the-body-armor-ban-safety-takes-a-back-seat/

And here’s BP comparing banning body armor to banning batting helmets.
Part of the body armor issue was that umpires were calling HBP on batters who made no attempt to avoid getting hit. Hitters would just stick their arm out and take the impact on the elbow guard, secure in the knowledge that they would get their base.

quote:

5.05(b)(2) - When the Batter Becomes a Runner

(2) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (A) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (B) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.