Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I binged the Fallout show and it went from a strong start to just kinda making GBS threads itself towards the end. I strongly stand by Fallout being an aesthetic rather than a concrete setting and some inconsistencies are fine, like having the thing that powers an entire 1,000 person self contained town being interchangeable with a thing that powers a suit of armor is fine. It honestly makes it better that each Brotherhood knight is walking around consuming enough energy to run a vault, and I wish the show had cared about that in any capacity because it would have driven home the whole 'destroying the world to save it' thing better than anything else they did.

But one thing that stood out to me was the whole 'drink a potion become a ghoul' thing. It was done as a joke and to conveniently wrap up a plot line they'd grown tired of dealing with, but come on, you just drink a potion and get regeneration and a massively enhanced lifespan so long as you keep drinking some medicine or whatever and nobody cares about it beyond ghouls racism? And then to cut to some villain speech in either the same or next episode about the ultimate victory being to outlive your enemies because time is the ultimate weapon? Thats just poo poo writing and not caring about anything thats happening beyond the next gun fight.

Also lmao Todd Howard is absolutely going to try and erase New Vegas from the timeline with his own 're-imagining'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I thought the snake oil guy was going to give the kid FEV and he'd turn into a super mutant so I could clap in recognition, not invalidate the entire underlying premise of the villain speech

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Does the show have supermutants?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

I thought the snake oil guy was going to give the kid FEV and he'd turn into a super mutant so I could clap in recognition, not invalidate the entire underlying premise of the villain speech

I thought his too, especially with how eager he was to get away. Who cares about another ghoul? We've already got the best one you can get.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

busalover posted:

Does the show have supermutants?

Not really...

You see a glimpse of a green foot on a body being carried by on a gurney near the very start, but that's it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

the joke is that he is an old timey western snake oil salesman whose snakeoil actually works.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Weembles posted:

Not really...

You see a glimpse of a green foot on a body being carried by on a gurney near the very start, but that's it.

What about a deathclaw, do you see a deathclaw?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No, you see a skull at the end for the S2 teaser.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, I’m under the assumption he’s going to mutate into a super mutant or something

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

No, you see a skull at the end for the S2 teaser.

Looks like I'll be waiting for season 2 to give the bald man my money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao at paying for any of this.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

lmao at paying for any of this.

It's called being a good citizen.

:filez:

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I plan on watching this on my Xbox the way Todd intended.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArD7_59x9pw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so whats interesting about that interview there is how william shatner gets a total deer in the headlights look despite bill maher obviously thinking hes asking fluff questions the reason for this is that "kirk kissing uhura solved racism" is very much manufactured pop culture wisdom this talking point was big league highlighted in the nineties era scifi expanded rebroadcasts but basically no one in the thirty years before then had ever discussed it in any way either positive or negative and at this point its such an important presumption in the lore as to why star trek is politically relevant absolutely noone is ever going to question it even if shatner knows full well its full of poo poo and his only actual motivation at the time was that he wanted an excuse to make out with nichelle nichols

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I played like the first and second Fallout games. Who is Todd Howard and why do I keep seeing angry poo poo about him on Twitter

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

so whats interesting about that interview there is how william shatner gets a total deer in the headlights look despite bill maher obviously thinking hes asking fluff questions the reason for this is that "kirk kissing uhura solved racism" is very much manufactured pop culture wisdom this talking point was big league highlighted in the nineties era scifi expanded rebroadcasts but basically no one in the thirty years before then had ever discussed it in any way either positive or negative and at this point its such an important presumption in the lore as to why star trek is politically relevant absolutely noone is ever going to question it even if shatner knows full well its full of poo poo and his only actual motivation at the time was that he wanted an excuse to make out with nichelle nichols

i like spaceships

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

GD_American posted:

I played like the first and second Fallout games. Who is Todd Howard and why do I keep seeing angry poo poo about him on Twitter

he too liked the first and second fallout games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GD_American posted:

He’s the guy who invented capitalism.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The greatest trick Todd Howard ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For sixteen years, you have been asking: Who is Todd Howard?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

A Coward

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It wouldn't rhyme if it wasn't true

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

For sixteen years, you have been asking: Who is Todd Howard?

Answer: He just works.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Nichael posted:

The greatest trick Todd Howard ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
i believe him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArmedZombie posted:

xcom the tv series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PoXfZdYVU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

GD_American posted:

I think he invented AI in video games.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
If your horse is properly armored you have Todd to thank.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I watched Monkey Man tonight. That movie was sick as hell.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol I’m bummed I missed someone bring up Settlers, apparently w/o irony

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nichael posted:

Cooper Howard likely doesn't do anything of significance in response to his wife because

Let he who is without a wife that attends meetings like that cast the first stone

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I watched Monkey Man tonight. That movie was sick as hell.

Just watched the trailer. It looks like what I wanted the Beekeeper to be. A dude just kicking rear end all the time in inventive ways.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

he wanted an excuse to make out with nichelle nichols

Who wouldnt?

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

There is really a crazy amount of love and attention to detail in the props, costumes, setting and locations in this Fallout show. It is very impressive, I haven’t seen this kind of fidelity and appreciation for an IP since Todd Howard’s masterful love letter to Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout 3.

Excited to see where it’s going, the show isn’t afraid to slaughter any sacred brahmin, or to change things up by removing some of the more cringe elements from the games (the NCR).

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lin Manuel-Turtle posted:

There is really a crazy amount of love and attention to detail in the props, costumes, setting and locations in this Fallout show. It is very impressive, I haven’t seen this kind of fidelity and appreciation for an IP since Todd Howard’s masterful love letter to Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout 3.

Excited to see where it’s going, the show isn’t afraid to slaughter any sacred brahmin, or to change things up by removing some of the more cringe elements from the games (the NCR).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

netizen posted:

Just watched the trailer. It looks like what I wanted the Beekeeper to be. A dude just kicking rear end all the time in inventive ways.

it's not that fwiw, you'll be disappointed if you go into it that way

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
movie kicked rear end but it wasn't really an action film

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It doesn't actually matter what Howard believes because all that matters is the conspiracy of the powerful. Having American values or not is completely immaterial. It lets the whole country off the hook. The people seated in the conference room also aren't corporate heads, they're representatives of their respective corporations. Howard's wife even receives orders directly from a shadowy figure implied to either be Vault-Tec's CEO or an even higher authority. I don't expect an American tv show to say that communism is good and capitalism is bad, but I DO expect a Fallout tv show to say that America itself is bad, and not just the "professional managerial class" or the shadowy corporate cabals. It saps itself of all meaningful critique and ultimately says nothing, which is a credit I have to give to the Bethesda games. At least they presented some interesting ideas. This is just exhuming the corpse of Fallout to manipulate it like a marionette and tell an even worse story.

This seems a bit contrarian, while it isn't Vault-Tec's CEO giving the pitch, the people they're pitching are clearly meant to be corporate heads, one is explicitly, House, the Howard Hughes / Walt Disney analogue, and the others are depicted as peers, and as having the authority to commit their corporations to the project.

EDIT: I see I was beaten to the punch here, so to try and justify this reply's existence, I'll just add that while I don't doubt a person could genuinely feel the way you do about the show, and I guess there could be somebody somewhere who honestly thinks the Bethesda games "presented some interesting ideas", the combination of the two makes me think this is some kind of bit. Also, the reason "shadowy cabals" as an understanding of politics and history are looked down on by Communists is because they're a means of obscuring class interests, as Alex Jones loves to scream about, Satanic evildoers doing evil for Satan, unrelated to material gain. The villains in the show are explicitly businessmen reacting to falling profitability and are acting to protect their profits by securing a monopoly.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Apr 14, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pomeroy posted:

This seems a bit contrarian, while it isn't Vault-Tec's CEO giving the pitch, the people they're pitching are clearly meant to be corporate heads, one is explicitly, House, the Howard Hughes / Walt Disney analogue, and the others are depicted as peers, and as having the authority to commit their corporations to the project.

EDIT: I see I was beaten to the punch here, so to try and justify this reply's existence, I'll just add that while I don't doubt a person could genuinely feel the way you do about the show, and I guess there could be somebody somewhere who honestly thinks the Bethesda games "presented some interesting ideas", the combination of the two makes me think this is some kind of bit.

Walt disney's expy runs the nuka cola corporation. Which is also a weapons manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Tankbuster posted:

Walt disney's expy runs the nuka cola corporation. Which is also a weapons manufacturer.

This is what I get for never finishing 4.