Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think Freddy’s Dead is or looks very good honestly. Interesting ideas but felt cheap and plasticy.

So did Freddy’s make up.

But tank girl is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also saw Night Is Short, Walk on Girl. Ruled. There's nothing better than a magical realism story about a characters journey over the course of one night. A Little Prince like story where you get snapshots of little worlds before drifting along to the next delightful subject. Animation at first feels kind of basic, but grows on you quick.

Japanse, so kinda perverted by Western sensibilities, but it doesn't get gross about it. Whole thing gets so surreal and fun it's not hard to look past. One minute, the protagonist is in a drinking contest, another, they're meeting "The God of the Old Books Market". Another, they're performing in a renegade rock opera that's performed on scaffolding quickly assembled so that they can evade cops trying to stop the show.

This one's on HBO Max! Real fun anime. Flavors of FLCL, almost.

If you like Night is Short, I'd recommend The Tatami Galaxy, which is an earlier TV series from the same director, based on a book in the same universe by the same author. It's got a lot of the same vibes, but with a college student stuck in a time loop trying to have the perfect campus life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

If you like Night is Short, I'd recommend The Tatami Galaxy, which is an earlier TV series from the same director, based on a book in the same universe by the same author. It's got a lot of the same vibes, but with a college student stuck in a time loop trying to have the perfect campus life.

Tatami itself has recently had a spinoff/sequel with the Tatami Time Machine Blues. Manages to keep most of the style despite Yuasa no longer directing it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Tatami itself has recently had a spinoff/sequel with the Tatami Time Machine Blues. Manages to keep most of the style despite Yuasa no longer directing it.

This being an adaptation of an unrelated play/film with the characters from Tatami Galaxy transplanted in

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also saw Night Is Short, Walk on Girl. Ruled. There's nothing better than a magical realism story about a characters journey over the course of one night. A Little Prince like story where you get snapshots of little worlds before drifting along to the next delightful subject. Animation at first feels kind of basic, but grows on you quick.

Japanse, so kinda perverted by Western sensibilities, but it doesn't get gross about it. Whole thing gets so surreal and fun it's not hard to look past. One minute, the protagonist is in a drinking contest, another, they're meeting "The God of the Old Books Market". Another, they're performing in a renegade rock opera that's performed on scaffolding quickly assembled so that they can evade cops trying to stop the show.

This one's on HBO Max! Real fun anime. Flavors of FLCL, almost.

I haven’t seen Night is Short, Walk On Girl, but that sounds a hell of a lot like one of Yuasa’s other movies, Mind-Game. The narrative/story of Mind-Game aren’t that interesting, but the animation is buckwild and changes styles constantly. He also did a fun episode of Space Dandy (which is itself a really good show!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1779902805173477848

Stop, stop, you already sold me!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am a complete failure and life sucks so much rn and my brain is so cooked because of it I’ve posted nonsense in random threads because I’ve mistaken them for others lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

I am a complete failure and life sucks so much rn and my brain is so cooked because of it I’ve posted nonsense in random threads because I’ve mistaken them for others lol

Take a break. Have some ice cream.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

I do this all the time and my brain is only over easy.

We've all been there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why is All That Jazz impossible to stream anywhere, even for $$

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was tired of movies that suck so I watched a movie that had a decent chance of being good. I watched Suzume. Pretty good! You couldn’t make a movie like Suzume today, audiences wouldn’t accept a love story between a high school sophomore and a college senior these days. Too woke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Makoto Shinkai keeps making the same movie over and over but god drat he's good at it though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

Why is All That Jazz impossible to stream anywhere, even for $$

Capitalism. Turn away from Mammon and embrace :filez:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Highlander is a loving weird movie hey

Like I knew maybe three things going into it: 1. Queen, 2. Clancy Brown, 3. "There can only be one". I did not expect forty somethings doing end on end backflips, the New York New York cover, or that very, very camp performance from the lead.

There's so much lore that the film introduces and then forgets, and some amazing set pieces, a terribly shot car chase, a cop that's in his own The Punisher parody subplot that basically goes nowhere, a strange Barry Lyndon-esque duel...

Wild wild film.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait I'm sorry the sequel does what

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

:getin:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Open Source Idiom posted:

There can be only one Highlander II

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"okay this script calls for a Scottish character and an Egyptian. We already got Sean Connery on board."
"Excellent, he'd make a great Egyptian. For the Scottsman I'm thinking a French guy."
"Makes sense, don't forget though that he's going to need to do a lot of sword fighting."
"Yeah, don't worry, he's also blind."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, this Frenchman speaks no English and will have to learn his lines phonetically lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But it made for an absolutely magnetic performance

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is wild. I didn’t know this.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...re_iOSApp_Other

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Having now watched 2 Ingmar bergman movies, persona and the fifth seal, i'm slightly embarrassed to say, they're not my bag. This is the first time i watch one of the Great Directors and come away thinking "yeah ok" so it feels weird

I did approach them kind of as homework, or like vegetables, like "this will be good for you, spiritually" so maybe that's the problem?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Persona is deliberately very challenging, and I wouldn't recommend it as a first Bergman.

The Seventh Seal though is probably his most accessible and audience-friendly, so yeah if you didn't like that one he might not be for you.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
persona is jumping into the deep end, but i always thought seventh seal was lighter than its reputation suggests. maybe give it one more try with one of his light comedies like smiles of a summer's night?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't get around to Summer with Monika until recently and that one was pretty cute. i never thought i'd describe a Bergman movie as "cute" until that one.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jay Rust posted:

I did approach them kind of as homework, or like vegetables, like "this will be good for you, spiritually" so maybe that's the problem?
who are our most spiritual filmmakers right now? i think apichatpong weerasethakul is way up there

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

who are our most spiritual filmmakers right now? i think apichatpong weerasethakul is way up there

Paul Schrader

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Michael Bay

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Having now watched 2 Ingmar bergman movies, persona and the fifth seal, i'm slightly embarrassed to say, they're not my bag. This is the first time i watch one of the Great Directors and come away thinking "yeah ok" so it feels weird

I completely bounced off Godard. I just got a very strong “this guy is an rear end in a top hat” vibe off the movies of his I’ve seen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

I completely bounced off Godard. I just got a very strong “this guy is an rear end in a top hat” vibe off the movies of his I’ve seen.

I mean he was French...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Persona is deliberately very challenging, and I wouldn't recommend it as a first Bergman.

The Seventh Seal though is probably his most accessible and audience-friendly, so yeah if you didn't like that one he might not be for you.

I enjoyed Wild Strawberries

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ha! I was surprised I hadn't heard about it either until about 4 years ago while listening to the Blockbuster podcast.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1780264985748439474

Casting is 2 for 2 so far.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone have suggestions for gif capture on movies from streaming sites? I've been using gifcam for years, and suddenly it isn't working for both prime video and Hoopla. I usually do one or two gifs with short reviews I send to some friends and this is driving me nuts. Am I just SOL when using said sites?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Try turning off desktop acceleration on your gpu

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope she’s cast in the George Kennedy role.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who will naked gun 2025 target, the woke ACAB squad or the punisher police? BLM or neo-nazis? I hope it's both !! The truth, my friends, is in the middle !!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jay Rust posted:

Who will naked gun 2025 target, the woke ACAB squad or the punisher police? BLM or neo-nazis? I hope it's both !! The truth, my friends, is in the middle !!

I believe it's got the same writers as the 2022 Chip N' Dale film. It'll be directed by Akiva Schaffer as well. I'm hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

I hope she’s cast in the George Kennedy role.

Enrico Pallazzo