Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

*bending over to inspect a blade of grass* hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I understand all of the slow gameplay complaints for the start of Endwalker. But it's the exact same for all of the expansions, we just tend to forget because the pacing is better for the last 80% of the set.

Heavensward was tours around Ishgard, the Sea of Clouds, and Western Coerthas.
Stormblood might actually be the shortest, but it's still tours around the reach, and the two neighboring zones. Raubahn Ex comes fairly quick though.
Even Shadowbringers did this. You had the intro period when you were lost in Lakeland, then you get the long Crystarium tour, followed by the two character lines. Little bit of minor combat here and there, but same as the rest.

That's always kinda been the gameplay structure up until the first dungeon. Endwalker is longer overall, so that might stretch out the opening act as well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dawntrail is gonna do the same thing. I guarantee it. You'll get offered two paths to do in either order, and after both paths, the first dungeon. It's how they split up the rush of players between two zones

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. And it's gonna be setting the stage. Lots of walking and talking, with limited duties or combat in general.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The first three DT zones will be split in half and you will only get access to the other halves at strangely arbitrary points late in the story.

Arist posted:

*bending over to inspect a blade of grass* hell yeah

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

The first three DT zones will be split in half and you will only get access to the other halves at strangely arbitrary points late in the story.

*sees Aether Current up on a cliff next to a level 99 FATE*

"yeah"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

As long as we don't get a repeat of the Machinist Job Quest that requires you to go to the top half of The Sea Of Clouds, but you can't get to it because you haven't progressed the story that far... (And since it hasn't happened since then, I suspect they learned their lesson and it won't happen again, just like locking the Heavensward Jobs in a city you can't access until you start Heavensward proper)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only job quests will be for Picto and Viper, and they'll take place in Endwalker zones, so we should be safe from that.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The downside is they never put them in later cities ever anymore. MCH, DRK, and AST felt like they fleshed out Ishgard locally more than any later jobs did with other locations.

You'd think with jobs starting at 80 they'd start letting themselves use Ishgard and Kugane as starting locations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

gay devil posted:

The downside is they never put them in later cities ever anymore. MCH, DRK, and AST felt like they fleshed out Ishgard locally more than any later jobs did with other locations.

You'd think with jobs starting at 80 they'd start letting themselves use Ishgard and Kugane as starting locations.
My guess is that they still don't want to lock out any newer players. The Road to 80 experience buff is really strong so people may be hitting 70+ before they even finish ARR. Might as well keep new jobs accessible for those players.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gay devil posted:

I agree that it really helped with the worldbuilding, but I think it's one of those things where they decided that even going back to Ishgard and Kugane as you said would risk doing so at the expense of gameplay. And it would kinda be a half measure. The reason Ishgardian jobs stand out so much is because the lore of the place was built around those jobs. If Pictomancer started in Kugane, it still wouldn't be *integrated* with Kugane. They'd have the same "lone traveler from afar brings there lore with them and inducts you" story it would just start somewhere else. And, while you're supposed to level up along the MSQ and so would reasonably have access to those cities at the same time you had the level, the Newbie Thread has seen a non-zero number of people who get FAR ahead of the MSQ and would be exactly the sort to run into problems again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only job quests will be for Picto and Viper, and they'll take place in Endwalker zones, so we should be safe from that.

Speaking of, we still haven't heard about role quests or DoH/DoL quests, have we?

I hope they weren't quietly cut, but I can't imagine they'd do that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I don't believe they've said anything about DoH/DoL quests, I'm assuming it'll just be round three of the Mean/Studium.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, we still haven't heard about role quests or DoH/DoL quests, have we?

I hope they weren't quietly cut, but I can't imagine they'd do that.

I'd assume all the crafting and gathering will be equivalent to the Crystarium and Stadium Deliveries and perhaps tied into the space exploration thing that is supposedly similar to Ishagard Restoration, and they've said very little about it so far

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Can't wait to sweep a moon!

Unironically - I loved those phases of the Firmament.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They seem happy with the role quests for combat and trades, so I'd bet that's where they're going again.

It'd be nice if the combat role quests were a bit more integrated into the MSQ, more Shadowbringers than Endwalker, but I think it's a good compromise over jobs quests for all.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope individualized job quests come back because it gives more chances for ridiculous reasons for NPCs to be in Tural, like when we had to ship that dragon to Kugane in Stormblood DRG quests.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ojjeorago posted:

I hope individualized job quests come back because it gives more chances for ridiculous reasons for NPCs to be in Tural, like when we had to ship that dragon to Kugane in Stormblood DRG quests.

They will never come back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ojjeorago posted:

That would be fun but I don't think they're coming back due to development time. What I'd like to see is those Job characters getting involved in the Role quests. Either by role or by kingdom. It would be interesting to see the Bard, Dancer and Machinist folks trying to collaborate on something, or the BRD, DRG, WHM and SMN forces of Gridania coordinating to support each other. The Bard quests already absorb the Lancers into them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they take a ton of dev time and also they kind of kill the storys intended flow if you basically have to run back and do some random thing with some NPCs. its one thing if some players just wander off mid story naturally its another if every 3 levels you have to or be gimped

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, having to do job quests to get your actual skills is neat in a thematic way but feels bad from a plot perspective. Like if I had to, before going into the 3rd dungeon in Endwalker, go take a side trip to hang out in Gridania so I can get my next skill, that would have loving murdered the pacing and tone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Gee Guydelot, this 'Elpis' place sure is strange!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The main thing keeping individual job quests from coming back is that they add two jobs in every expansion which means the number of quests they'd have to do just grows and grows, as opposed to five role questlines forever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Thematically it makes more sense to get abilities by leveling post 70 because by text were making new abilities and skills instead of learning from the job stonesm

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Thematically it makes more sense to get abilities by leveling post 70 because by text were making new abilities and skills instead of learning from the job stonesm

Yeah, right now, we're filling the Job Stones with new skills.

At the end of Dawntrail, when we're Level 100, the post-expansion patches will be us retiring, and becoming the new Job Trainers for NPCs.

But with 34 Jobs(!!!), we'll get confused as to which NPC is being trained in what Job, leading to us teaching Draconian Fury to Fishers (who just think it's another tool for Spearfishing), The Blackest Knight to Blacksmiths, and how to sit while attacking to Reapers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wish the role quests weren't quite so on rails though, they were all basically the same questline in ShB / EW in structure even if the characters and themes changed a bit. It wasn't that bad for EW given the overall context of the quests but it suffered in ShB imo.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

aers posted:

Remember that "High" "Very High" whatever are just measurements of your average framerate over the course of the benchmark and you can check your average framerate (and min framerate) by hitting the save results button at the end. If you only have a 60hz monitor "Very High" is probably already higher than your monitor can draw

back in my day 60 fps was the goal! it was the standard! now it's seen as the bare minimum, or not good enough!! and people have fancier monitors than me!!!! :bahgawd:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yes, they wrote their way out of having skills be learned through quests.

it's thematic because it was written to be thematic

it's much better this way and i'm glad they did it. it's something they do, narratively justify design of game mechanics, and sometimes that works great and sometimes it leaves things to be desired. like the expansion jobs, objectively it's good that they aren't locked to areas accessible only via msq progress. narratively that means the jobs feel less connected to the expansions they're from, as pointed out drk mch and ast all fill in the story of ishgard and the lore of both the jobs and ishgard were designed in tandem.

i don't know. it's not that they can't, sam takes you into ishgard before going to kugane. dnc takes you to the peaks. gnb has some in ishgard, rdm and sge need you to get to idyllshire. rpr is the odd one out only taking place in thanalan. i think some of it has to do with there simply being fewer job quests for newer jobs, by a substantial amount.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Doesn't RPR go to the Dusk Vigil?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
oh, so it does. shows me for skimming the job quest texts. also rpr is the one class i still have down at 71

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I just want to know wtf happened to the arcanist guild headmaster

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
When they said he's rarely seen, they meant it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I still haven't cleared the melee and healer Job Quest even years later...I see him waiting for me in Limsa but he'll be there forever until DT.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They probably won't even be in Endwalker zones.

Reaper is like 99% in Thanalan and then you go to Ishgard for the last one. Sage is almost entirely in HW areas with occasional dips in ARR.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Expansion jobs haven't been in expansion zones since HW, they've basically all been in ARR areas

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
After the EW Role Quests, I'm excited for Aymeric to come out and say "Actually, colonialism is good."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

Expansion jobs haven't been in expansion zones since HW, they've basically all been in ARR areas

Well they all start there but they do poke their head in to expansions eventually. I just don't think we've had job quests that go to a Current Expansion Area or even last expansion's areas since Stormblood.

e: correction, Dancer does go to Ala Mhigo so that's one post-SB instance of a previous expansion area

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 18, 2024

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

After the EW Role Quests, I'm excited for Aymeric to come out and say "Actually, colonialism is good."

interesting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

i dont think thats what the ew role quests were about op, so i think this is your opinion. why do you think colonialism is good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my personal silksong is waiting for details on the new magic class. Fingers crossed x50 that it replaces SMN as "the other complex caster"