Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mario 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

I’m very sure that “people can’t read in dreams” was invented by one episode of Batman TAS and everyone just went with it
nah this is one of the triggers you can learn to lucid dream. you habituate doing things to the point that it starts happening in your dreams, so that you become aware that you're dreaming once your brain fucks it up. deliberately taking second glances at the spines of books, flipping light switches, honking your car horn, the totem stuff in inception

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the best video game where it’s set in a dream, and/or what's the best video game you ever dreamed of playing.

Bloodborne

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
How do you know if you're lucid dreaming, or you're actually just dreaming about the experience of lucid dreaming?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Miss Mowcher posted:

How do you know if you're lucid dreaming, or you're actually just dreaming about the experience of lucid dreaming?
You're actually a butterfly dreaming about dreaming about the experience of lucid dreaming

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I used to lucid dream a lot and it rules because you'll be like "I can go punch a cop" then you try and your fists will only move at like a half inch per second.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/NSuperGamerGuy/status/1780921154024132947?t=sjw_41oHbFGKQl90f-DlBQ

A flip phone tie-in game to the original Persona 3 that was previously lost media is being re-released

Okay now bring back that Battle Network phone game that has a Trojan virus as an actual Trojan horse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the best video game where its set in a dream

The Elder Scrolls

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When I was a teenager playing too much Diablo 2, if I had a nightmare that was getting too intense I'd press Escape in my dream and click the Save & Exit Game option.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People didn't have dreams with a user interface until video games

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can "read" things in dreams if they're signs or something not really significant, but if it's like a message or something important, I can't read it. It's a recurring thing, where I'll find a note or something, and I'll just be staring at it so hard trying to read it. I can allllmmmoooost read a word, then I lose it. Some dreams I spend a really long time just trying to read something.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shard posted:

that doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't people dream in color when the world is in color? Like I could see if black and white tv made more people dream in black and white but what about before television? Did people during the radio period of entertainment only dream in audio?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Psychonauts 2

I wish I could erase my memories to re experience the psychedelic rock level. Especially because I played it for like 4 hours afterwards missing one figment that was like 2 feet from the starting area, kind of sullied the original magic by getting made at my own dumb completionist hunting for actual figments of imagination for no discernible reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psychonauts 2 was really an incredible game with no flaws.

Except the pregnancy thing, that was weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's very surprising that after like 20 years they still managed to make a sequel that was better in basically every way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

I can "read" things in dreams if they're signs or something not really significant, but if it's like a message or something important, I can't read it. It's a recurring thing, where I'll find a note or something, and I'll just be staring at it so hard trying to read it. I can allllmmmoooost read a word, then I lose it. Some dreams I spend a really long time just trying to read something.

I think I read somewhere that the part of your brain that processes words turns off during sleep which is why people can’t read things in dreams and maybe why smartphones generally don’t show up either

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skeletronics posted:

I used to lucid dream a lot and it rules because you'll be like "I can go punch a cop" then you try and your fists will only move at like a half inch per second.

I used to do all the stuff to help induce them ages ago and had quite a few but basically all I was ever able to do was a half-rear end sort of flying that's more like clenching your thighs and refusing to be on the ground, and occasionally make fire in my hands like a wizard but I couldnt actually throw it or do anything with it besides think too much about the fake fire and wake up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I wish I could erase my memories to re experience the psychedelic rock level.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's very surprising that after like 20 years they still managed to make a sequel that was better in basically every way

:yeah:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Steve Yun posted:

I think I read somewhere that the part of your brain that processes words turns off during sleep which is why people can’t read things in dreams and maybe why smartphones generally don’t show up either

I dream about my phone but every time I try to do something simple on it like go to a website, I fail to do it.

It is also comically soft and often breaks in half like a plate of chocolate and I have to hold it together to keep it working

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the best video game where its set in a dream,

Deadly Premonition

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

Psychonauts 2 was really an incredible game with no flaws.

Except the pregnancy thing, that was weird.

I don’t remember that, which level was it?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Youuuu're stiiiiiiill
in a dreeeeeeeam
Snaaaaake Eateeeeeer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

I don’t remember that, which level was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djB3uf7z9yc&t=31s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LSD's always a fun one to remember existed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

I dream about my phone but every time I try to do something simple on it like go to a website, I fail to do it.

It is also comically soft and often breaks in half like a plate of chocolate and I have to hold it together to keep it working
feel like phone breaking dreams is the 21st century's "all my teeth fell out" dream

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

for some reason i have had multiple nightmares that have ended with me getting shot at with a shotgun

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

for some reason i have had multiple nightmares that have ended with me getting shot at with a shotgun

Ah yes, "The American Dream"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miss Mowcher posted:

this is the fun part. it doesnt matter because dreams are completely within the realm of the subjective

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a few years of hunt showdown have caused me to have frequent and extremely lucid dreams of hunt matches, which are so authentic to real matches that they sometimes involve getting mad enough to wake up, possibly the greatest self own my brain has inflicted in my life

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

a few years of hunt showdown have caused me to have frequent and extremely lucid dreams of hunt matches, which are so authentic to real matches that they sometimes involve getting mad enough to wake up, possibly the greatest self own my brain has inflicted in my life

with all due respect

skill issue

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ever since I moved into my new condo, I often have dreams about living in houses that are not my house and them being kinda spoopy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only dreams I have are about people cutting me open and rearranging or stealing my organs.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Most of mine are the good old standby of "scared I'm going to fail school despite it being years since I've been."

But I did also have "win at arcade games (generic ones, sorry the dream wasn't specific enough) while inside the mouth of a giant white tiger threatening to eat me", so that's at least sort of on point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waffleman_ posted:

Ever since I moved into my new condo, I often have dreams about living in houses that are not my house and them being kinda spoopy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1jXlEhfuig&t=574s

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Dream adjacent, but spending several hours playing Factorio before one of my ketamine sessions was the absolute loving worst and I do not recommend it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Owl Inspector posted:

I took a break from Hunt today to play Dwarf Fortress instead and boy, is that a night and day difference in terms of enjoyment. I was digging out workshops and bedrooms, listening to the chill and excellent soundtrack, happy as a clam.

Not listening for crows and twig snaps in horror swamp, seconds away from being headshot seems to be the welcome change I was after.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/axl99/status/1781011891810406549?t=e3njT-4uC6b2lzv_SQAbpg&s=19

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

frytechnician posted:

I took a break from Hunt today to play Dwarf Fortress instead and boy, is that a night and day difference in terms of enjoyment. I was digging out workshops and bedrooms, listening to the chill and excellent soundtrack, happy as a clam.

Not listening for crows and twig snaps in horror swamp, seconds away from being headshot seems to be the welcome change I was after.

no matter how bad the matches get, after a couple weeks break I always yearn for the swamp again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The only dreams I have are about people cutting me open and rearranging or stealing my organs.
those arent dreams, have you counted your organs lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Owl Inspector posted:

no matter how bad the matches get, after a couple weeks break I always yearn for the swamp again

You and me both, my man. Here's hoping the new engine drops soon!