Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I hope it does well and we get the sequel titled "Eiyuden Two Hundred Heroes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would be shocked if eiyuden ran super great on the switch, i feel like almost every new game that's had a switch port in the last 2 years has run poorly because the hardware just can't cut it anymore

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Replaying Xenoblade for the first time since it came out on the Wii in the states, and all the inane sidequests and sheer amount of places to explore really make it a great handheld “play for an hour or so before bed” chill game. And something I really like about the earlygame, knowing the one of the big endgame twists:

Shulk talking about how there’s two voices in his head after Fiora “dies”, one of which is telling him to stay home because that’s what Fiora would have wanted and the other, louder voice telling him to kill every last one of them makes you realize on replay that “huh, they were probably setting up the Zanza thing this early”

And maybe not as well done, on replay: ”why can’t the Monado, a weapon that can ONLY hurt Mechon and harmlessly bounces off humanoids/nopon, hurt this faced Mechon that talks and has a personality???” Like, Metal Face/Mumkar never talks in the Colony 9 attack, but it makes Shulk look kinda dim that he can’t infer it with Xord when the dialogue puts that much emphasis on it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I thought it was pretty reasonable since Shulk & Co think of the Monado as like a magical holy blade (rather than a mechanism) that exists to destroy Evil Machines, and so it follows it won't hurt Good Organics. It's believable they'd assume the Mechon just got better armor or the blade needed powering up or whatever. "they hooked a person up to a robot" is kinda out there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I thought it was pretty reasonable since Shulk & Co think of the Monado as like a magical holy blade (rather than a mechanism) that exists to destroy Evil Machines, and so it follows it won't hurt Good Organics. It's believable they'd assume the Mechon just got better armor or the blade needed powering up or whatever. "they hooked a person up to a robot" is kinda out there

same, at the time i figured that the mechon had just developed specialized anti-monado units considering they'd been getting chopped up by the score because of that thing

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The 7th Guest posted:

i would be shocked if eiyuden ran super great on the switch, i feel like almost every new game that's had a switch port in the last 2 years has run poorly because the hardware just can't cut it anymore

Any Switch game that isn't first party should always be waited on. I'm not sure how Nintendo made Ultrahand work without melting the console, but most other developers simply dont have the time to pull some magic for a Switch port.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ubisoft targeted the switch for prince of persia the lost crown and it ran at 60fps there, and everyone made fun of them for having a relatively low-poly art style for a $50 game, so it's not like a publisher can simply choose to make a game with switch-ready graphical fidelity either

meanwhile that new princess peach game just uses UE4 and drops to like 15fps in some scenes lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think i saw anything but praise for pop

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

i guess it’s semantics or pedantry, but the thing that sticks out as goofy is how much emphasis the game put on it. Like if Shulk just went “drat these Faced Mechon and their superior armor” when it started bouncing off Xord wouldn’t really stand out, it’s the part where he ruminates on why it won’t, work after being able to kill umpteen passive wild animals with it, which makes it stand out?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Unicorn Overlord was fine on switch.
If I get Eiyuden, it be the switch version since I like playing traditional older style graphics games on it

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eiyuden Rising was fun for what it was but it had no reason to have a bunch of sidequests and crafting and cooking challenges that send you to the same areas.

Have me go through singular areas, one single item, give me plot along the way, done, would be a nice 6 hour game instead of an occasionally tedious 20 hour game.

"You can just not do the sidequests" yeah but... I want the money and equipment to be on par with where the game expects the challenge level to be.

If a game wants be to be at a certain power level to do a thing, just put me at that power level by the time I'm meant to do the thing. Keep the game nice and focused.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

i dont think i saw anything but praise for pop

yeah Dr pepper is my fav

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

GateOfD posted:

Is there actually 100 heroes in Eiyuden?

According to the trophy list there are actually 120.

:getin:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Paying2Lurk posted:

According to the trophy list there are actually 120.

:getin:

That's false advertising

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

bewilderment posted:

Eiyuden Rising was fun for what it was but it had no reason to have a bunch of sidequests and crafting and cooking challenges that send you to the same areas.

Have me go through singular areas, one single item, give me plot along the way, done, would be a nice 6 hour game instead of an occasionally tedious 20 hour game.

"You can just not do the sidequests" yeah but... I want the money and equipment to be on par with where the game expects the challenge level to be.

If a game wants be to be at a certain power level to do a thing, just put me at that power level by the time I'm meant to do the thing. Keep the game nice and focused.

i like the sidequests. the gameplay around them is basic but what it's doing with a lot of them tends to be pretty funny. it would've been harder to tell the same story without them because it's essentially where all interactions with the townspeople happen and they're pretty central to the game's story

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

bewilderment posted:

i platinumed it in about 14 hours

skill issue

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
thought i'd pick up my first compile heart game because the premise for Death end re;Quest sounded cool, but i see a lot of negative impressions.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't plat eiyuden rising but i completed all my stamp cards in just under 12 hours. it's not lengthy

the game's about building up this little mining community so doing chores is the point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got the headquarters and Eiyuden and honestly this is exactly what I paid for. It's a Suikoden game. It feels exactly like a Suikoden game to an almost shocking degree, even the areas where it has warts. It's got everything though, aggressive level scaling, bizarre recruits, a change to call yourself Schtolteheim Reinbach IV, all of it.

It also has some nice features. You get 3 'spare' slots in your party where you can put plot-locked characters (including Nowa) if you don't want them in your combat party, so if you want to ditch the protagonist and run with a squad of magical girls and weird bears you can.

It's also weirdly nonlinear. You'll just be told "Go recruit some soldiers" without a clear guide and just wander around towns finding weirdos.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 20, 2024

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm gonna pick up Eiyuden but I'm also gonna wait a bit to play it because Emerald Beyond and also it's kinda giving the vibe of something that's gonna need a little bit more polishing up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

thought i'd pick up my first compile heart game because the premise for Death end re;Quest sounded cool, but i see a lot of negative impressions.

it's not good

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ImpAtom posted:

It's also weirdly nonlinear. You'll just be told "Go recruit some soldiers" without a clear guide and just wander around towns finding weirdos.

yeah not a lot of guidance, so I got a question if anyone knows actually:

im like 10~ hours in, got the castle, just cleared the great woods dungeon. What little wiki there is says theres tons of chars I can recruit already, but all in areas I have no idea how to reach. Like how do you get back to the old map or the mines and all that? Ive already missed out on a bunch of chars apparently dont wanna miss more before I advance the plot

*edit*

Ok I read you can go to the graveyard and there's a well behind there that takes you back to the old areas. Not exactly explained but I guess thats how you do it!?

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 20, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ImpAtom posted:

I got the headquarters and Eiyuden and honestly this is exactly what I paid for. It's a Suikoden game. It feels exactly like a Suikoden game to an almost shocking degree, even the areas where it has warts. It's got everything though, aggressive level scaling, bizarre recruits, a change to call yourself Schtolteheim Reinbach IV, all of it.

It also has some nice features. You get 3 'spare' slots in your party where you can put plot-locked characters (including Nowa) if you don't want them in your combat party, so if you want to ditch the protagonist and run with a squad of magical girls and weird bears you can.

This makes me very happy to hear :peanut:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also chiming in to say eiyuden rising owned. I was wary of it for a long time but when I played it last year it p much blew me away wrt tone and presentation and gave me the utmost confidence in the main game

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i hope this eiyuden patch adds an option to lock the minimap and shows what stats go up on level because it's impossible to track 6 characters gains all leveling at once

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Rinkles posted:

No, it's boring, repetitive, and creepy. Even moreso than their usual fare. And I actually like the main Neptunia games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

The part that's a VN is good but the part that's an RPG is bad, the second game is better but that also applies probably twofold.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I said come in! posted:

Yep! The Suikoden series had 108.

If it's anything like Suikoden, like half the heroes are just shopkeepers and other NPCs that stay in your castle to keep things running. They aren't all playable characters. But you still do end up with a lot of random weirdos a la Fire Emblem or other RPGs with large casts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I hope it does well and we get the sequel titled "Eiyuden Two Hundred Heroes".

The Eiyuden 101

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

If it's anything like Suikoden, like half the heroes are just shopkeepers and other NPCs that stay in your castle to keep things running. They aren't all playable characters. But you still do end up with a lot of random weirdos a la Fire Emblem or other RPGs with large casts.

I hope Eiyuden has a Super Sentai Animal Squad too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I never played Suikoden but Hundred Heroes looks fun and I enjoyed the writing and atmosphere in Rising a lot. So I look forward to playing the new one when it drops.

Gonna beeline to getting CJ, Isha and Garoo too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am now plying Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It better be good as I paid, $500, to play this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

This is still true but one of the new features is a Support slot where non-combat characters can be slotted in to gain passive bonuses. Like your innkeeper lets you swap characters at save points.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat Mother 3 last night. I really enjoyed it, especially because I love rhythm anything, but it did get melodramatic enough sometimes that I laughed at some moments. I think I like Earthbound more still but Mother 3 is a solid game and I love the characters in it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm at the same point and have the same feeling about the game. It's weirdly empty like the OG Suikoden games too. Like, it's not entirely polished but in in a very familiar way. I love the feeling of diving into an older-feeling game like this with no direction or walkthrough. The game absolutely could be a missing link between 2 and 3, mechanically. It's fun.

I love the "Attendant" slots too. Nowa is hard to remove because he's good as heck but the other locked characters don't seem as good as some of the weirdos I've picked up so far. It's nice to be able to shunt them off and play with my new, strange friends.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This is still true but one of the new features is a Support slot where non-combat characters can be slotted in to gain passive bonuses. Like your innkeeper lets you swap characters at save points.
unless i'm extremely misremembering, this innovation actually happened all the way back in Suikoden 3 so it's not exactly new lol

I guess the guy heading up this only worked on 1 and 2 though and Eiyuden is clearly and specifically a sequel to those so technically you're correct

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I guess the guy heading up this only worked on 1 and 2 though

he worked on 3 he just quit like the week before it came out, so they removed his name from the credits. people keep saying he didnt work on 3 and it isnt true. im crying btw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPG Thread: Murayama Yoshitaka worked on Suikoden 3

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I also did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I'm at the same point and have the same feeling about the game. It's weirdly empty like the OG Suikoden games too. Like, it's not entirely polished but in in a very familiar way. I love the feeling of diving into an older-feeling game like this with no direction or walkthrough. The game absolutely could be a missing link between 2 and 3, mechanically. It's fun.

I love the "Attendant" slots too. Nowa is hard to remove because he's good as heck but the other locked characters don't seem as good as some of the weirdos I've picked up so far. It's nice to be able to shunt them off and play with my new, strange friends.

Yeah, I think that is the weirdest thing about it. It's got flaws, plenty of 'em to be honest, but they are flaws that genuinely feel like something I'd expect from a 'lost' Suikoden game. It's somehow a far more 'genuine' experience than something like Bloodstained in that it doesn't feel like a modern taken on an old franchise, it just... feels like that franchise.

It's also genuinely fun to play it without a guide. I can't remember if I played any of the previous games without at least having a guide available but this time I don't so it encourages exploration. Once I got my HQ I backtracked to the previous towns and recruited like six different characters and also got inexplicably involved in a shonen top spinning anime.

I think there are going to be plenty of complaints but so many of them feel familiar. A limited inventory, enemy random encounters (which you can Let Go), backtracking, easily missable recruits, it's all stuff I think is fair to complain about but god drat does it feel absurdly Suikoden.