Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It feels like they’re made directly for Tubi but Stalked By My Mom and Stalked By My Doctor are both pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Fire Walk With Me, I liked all of it EXCEPT the entire mystery red room stuff, the whole twin peaks greater mythos stuff really loses me in general

I like Terminator 2 except for all the parts with the liquid metal killer robot, the whole Skynet mythos stuff really loses me in general

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Saw Challengers tonight, what an incredibly fun movie with a lot of cool shots and another great Reznor/Ross score. The music was how I found out about it in the first place and it definitely lives up to the soundtrack, big fan of the scenes of dialogue with intense techno playing over them like in some of the matches.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 20, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like Terminator 2 except for all the parts with the liquid metal killer robot, the whole Skynet mythos stuff really loses me in general

I enjoyed There Will Be Blood apart from everything to do with oil.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Well yeah, we were promised blood, not oil. Such a deceptive marketing technique.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Toast King posted:

Saw Challengers tonight, what an incredibly fun movie with a lot of cool shots and another great Reznor/Ross score. The music was how I found out about it in the first place and it definitely lives up to the soundtrack, big fan of the scenes of dialogue with intense techno playing over them like in some of the matches.

Looking forward to this one so much, and have been listening to what they've released of the score on repeat. Annoyingly I'm missing the Cineworld Unlimited preview tomorrow night (seeing Chelsea Wolfe play instead) but have got my ticket for next Friday - also annoyingly we aren't getting it in IMAX in the UK.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Have you tried watching something with no bad parts? Like The Wolf House or The Wolf House?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

It feels like they’re made directly for Tubi but Stalked By My Mom and Stalked By My Doctor are both pretty awesome.

They are obviously made for Lifetime.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Carpet posted:

Looking forward to this one so much, and have been listening to what they've released of the score on repeat. Annoyingly I'm missing the Cineworld Unlimited preview tomorrow night (seeing Chelsea Wolfe play instead) but have got my ticket for next Friday - also annoyingly we aren't getting it in IMAX in the UK.

Not sure why Australia gets this one early but it’s been out for general release since Thursday here. I’d love to go see it on a bigger screen again some time.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 20, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gags the Clown is not good. Once again, solid premise; something weird is happening at night in a city and we follow the events from a number of vantage points; a local news reporter, a streamer, some teens video taping their own pranks, security camera footage, and police bodycams.

The problem is that it tries to be way too plotty, with character drama and stuff. And the characters are not written very well. So what should be very naturalistic ends up feeling extremely fake and stilted at all times. this is made worse by the filmmakers' absolute refusal to be limited by their own found footage conceit. There's always multiple angles, everybody's mic'd up at all times, everything was obviously created for the purpose of being a scene in Gags the Clown.

The movie is based on that spate of clown sightings from a few years back. But the second big problem is they couldn't think of anything scary beyond just "clown". The clown has balloons that if they pop spray people with white powder that makes the people cut up their face like clown makeup and then go sit in a tent. That's it, they just cut up their face and then go sit in a tent. No real conclusion to the white powder scheme. Also, the clown kills like three people. Completely unrelated to any of the other stuff in the movie, jus t some random unmotivated kills to try to make the movie scary. It doesn't work.

Gags the Clown, by the way, was also recommended to me. By someone on this very forum. I am beginning to grow suspicious of the value of recommendations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's good stuff recommended here all the time, keep the faith!

Gags the Clown's premise has so many red flags I feel like that's kind of on you. Found footage isn't bad inherently, but a lot of films use it to hand wave away making it look interesting or good. Has there been a good movie that's made after a one-month news meme?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You need to just stay in the horror thread. People there will let you down less

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's good stuff recommended here all the time, keep the faith!

Gags the Clown's premise has so many red flags I feel like that's kind of on you. Found footage isn't bad inherently, but a lot of films use it to hand wave away making it look interesting or good. Has there been a good movie that's made after a one-month news meme?

I just really think the idea of a found footage movie that follows a large scale event from a number of different viewpoints could be absolutely fantastic, but nobody has done it right. The framing device from one of the V/H/S movies was closest.

CelticPredator posted:

You need to just stay in the horror thread. People there will let you down less

I got recommendations from the recommendations thread and the horror thread. None of you are free of sin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

I just really think the idea of a found footage movie that follows a large scale event from a number of different viewpoints could be absolutely fantastic, but nobody has done it right. The framing device from one of the V/H/S movies was closest.

I got recommendations from the recommendations thread and the horror thread. None of you are free of sin.

This is the Bay and it owns

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I haven't seen The Bay in a while, I thought it was mainly about a reporter lady investigating the situation afterwards?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently Late Night with the Devil is also really hurt by the found footage format

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toast King posted:

Not sure why Australia gets this one early but it’s been out for general release since Thursday here. I’d love to go see it on a bigger screen again some time.

Australians are used to getting poo poo late or not at all and thus are shameless pirates, early releases try to counter that, especially since we're on an earlier time zone anyway and Americans don't pay attention to what's not out in their country yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I fired up another movie. Literally the first thing that happens is this text comes up on screen;

“The Lost Coast, a part of Northwest California, has the highest number of Sasquatch sightings than any other region”

I typed it out verbatim as it appears in the film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I fired up another movie. Literally the first thing that happens is this text comes up on screen;

“The Lost Coast, a part of Northwest California, has the highest number of Sasquatch sightings than any other region”

I typed it out verbatim as it appears in the film.

I think you need to recalculate who you trust for movie recommendations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Keep watching found footage imo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Shoulda consulted me in the FF stuff! Lost Coast Tapes is not-awful, but very unmemorable.

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen The Bay in a while, I thought it was mainly about a reporter lady investigating the situation afterwards?

The reporter was present at the scene, but there's a good bit where she dips out of the narrative because 'why the hell are we still filming this?' She then becomes the narrator/editor of a documentary reconstructing the events.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I’ve been trying to figure out why The Fall Guy bugs me, and my main theory is that the title reminds me of Free Guy, which I didn’t watch but it had bad ads

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kazzah posted:

which I didn’t watch but it had bad ads

The same could be said of all of Ryan Reynolds' movies

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The same could be said of all of Ryan Reynolds' movies

I dislike the man's shtick more than any other working actor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hollywood's first leading man in Fake Movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Bigfoot: The Lost Coast Tapes.

On the one hand I feel a little warmer to this movie than I otherwise would because I watched Hoax recently, and B:TLCT is basically the same movie but it sucks way less. It even addresses some of my specific complaints about Hoax; the producer understands that a recording of what could be Bigfoot sounds is a big deal, as opposed to the producer in Hoax who thought anything less than a clear full body shot was worthless. And when someone gets hurt the producer immediately wants to get them medical attention, as opposed to the producer in Hoax who didn't give a poo poo that multiple members of his crew were dead and his on-camera star was horrifically injured.

but on the other hand, the bigfoots are invisible. At first I was like, "oh hey they're bringing in the magical angle with Bigfoot, bigfoot movies usually don't do that" but then it became very clear that they did it so they didn't have to build a bigfoot suit. They have the bigfoot feet for the classic "walking past a dropped camera" shot and a bigfoot face which they flash by extremely quickly because I'm guessing it wasn't articulated at all, and that's it. But despite that they insist on showing bigfoot. There are multiple shots of someone being lifted up by bigfoot, and in those shots bigfoot is invisible. I'm not, like, saying it's shot bad or something, in any shot where more than the feet or face of bigfoot would be visible, bigfoot just is invisible. There's just a bright light suggesting some kind of magic happening.

Also despite being less obnoxious and cartoonish than Hoax the characters are still obnoxious and cartoonish. And although there's significantly less weirdly cruel violence at the end than in Hoax, it's still got a dash of it at the end.

So yeah it turns out there's a huge amount of space for a movie to be better than Hoax before it becomes good. And the invisible bigfoots don't help.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They are obviously made for Lifetime.

I don’t have cable anymore and completely forgot about lifetime. God bless whatever maniac they have working there who greenlit those movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

She’s guiding jt but the footage is from various sources

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Gags the Clown, by the way, was also recommended to me. By someone on this very forum. I am beginning to grow suspicious of the value of recommendations.

Watch Hundreds of Beavers.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m the guy who told everyone to watch Southland Tales you know you can trust me.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Hundreds of beavers is really fun, watched it twice this week!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
As nuts as it is, it's still occasionally worth scrolling through twitter

https://twitter.com/glutendeath/status/1781736839373619534?t=SoszdzQiNy5gSdxDfkNYPg&s=19

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Zzb7NN_TxDsJC6LMu0NrK5qGgOs_zX6l

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GBRovrmRyCjIDfMskWnPNtz6eDEYLIMw

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 21, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
gueule d'amour has probably my favorite jean gabin performance i've seen (so far)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Poppycock. I don’t think I’ve ever given a recommendation that someone didn’t like, so there! (I have impeccable taste, you know).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really can't imagine liking The Bay very much (extremely eh) but it takes all sorts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m the guy who told everyone to watch Southland Tales you know you can trust me.

Anyone who understands that Southland Tales is a masterpiece understands movies better than 99% of the population, so I'll check out your beavers.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pirate Jet posted:

Seconded.

I hesitate to predict the future, but will say it's a movie worth catching on the early side too – feel like it has potential to become one of those "rowdy screening" movies where people who have seen it way too much are way too loud. Like what The Room or some Rocky Horror screenings have turned into.

Maybe it's too full of gags for that to happen, but I feel like every year people (Alamo) try to force a new one to happen.

Watched Fletch. Cute. Was having an incredibly difficult time suspending my disbelief that Chevy wouldn't lose his job for any of the dozens of antics he gets up, but tbf that's entirely tertiary to the film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pirate Jet posted:

Seconding this.

A hearty mix of Buster Keaton, Looney Tunes, and retro videogames.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pirate Jet posted:

Your gangtag tells me something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like I have to see this now, no matter how bad it apparently is

quote:

An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn (stylized on-screen as Burn Hollywood Burn) is a 1997 American mockumentary black comedy film directed by Arthur Hiller, written by Joe Eszterhas and starring Eric Idle as a director unfortunately named Alan Smithee, a traditional pseudonym used in Hollywood for directors disowning a project. The film follows Smithee as he steals the negatives to his latest film and goes on the run.

An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn was universally panned by critics and tanked at the box office. It won five awards (including Worst Picture) at the 19th Golden Raspberry Awards. The film's creation set off a chain of events which led the Directors Guild of America to officially discontinue the Alan Smithee credit in 2000 after its use for decades when an American director disavowed a film.[2] The plot, about a director attempting to disown a film, described the film's own production; Hiller requested that his name be removed after witnessing the final cut, and he is credited as Alan Smithee.

All I can say is: lol

Like the goatee-universe version of Wizard of Speed and Time