Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Americans banning UNRWA funding again lol. Taking bets on how long it will take us to withdraw funding for the second time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Americans banning UNRWA funding again lol. Taking bets on how long it will take us to withdraw funding for the second time

Is there even a fabricated crisis to go along with it this time?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ARACHTION posted:

Is there even a fabricated crisis to go along with it this time?

Their petulant nazi vassal is tantruming again

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nah we got this poo poo going on:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

When will TPL address the dangerous content of Wilfrid Owen poems and Starship Troopers (movie)?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad posted:

nah we got this poo poo going on:

The Israeli's murdered that poet in December which makes this so much cooler. But hey, at least Toronto Voted and now another cop-loving orange landlord is in charge there

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I love complaining, it's my favourite hobby. Can't deny it.

what's your favourite thing to complain about

this is the canada thread, we support complaining here

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Hubbert posted:

living in this nightmare shithole and watching the life be stamped out of everything i love and my friends be socially murdered so some rear end in a top hat in toronto can get a second boat.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

The Israeli's murdered that poet in December which makes this so much cooler. But hey, at least Toronto Voted and now another cop-loving orange landlord is in charge there

Sorry but this dangerous poem glorifies martyrdom and must be destroyed:

quote:

“IF I MUST DIE” BY REFAAT ALAREER

If I must die,

you must live

to tell my story

to sell my things

to buy a piece of cloth

and some strings,

(make it white with a long tail)

so that a child, somewhere in Gaza

while looking heaven in the eye

awaiting his dad who left in a blaze—

and bid no one farewell

not even to his flesh

not even to himself—

sees the kite, my kite you made, flying up above

and thinks for a moment an angel is there

bringing back love

If I must die

let it bring hope

let it be a tale

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hubbert posted:

US tax law was a good one for a while but I hope to never have to care about that again, so it'll probably be back to cars once I resume biking regularly and they threaten to flatten me.

Speaking of which, Toronto city council voted to increase a lot of fines for traffic violations, the only problem is cops stopped enforcing traffic laws a decade ago so it probably won't matter. This is only half true because apparently there are now some 300k+ automated tickets issued by cameras every year but I can't find any stats on that and even newspapers seem to have to file FOI requests to get them so gently caress it.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The poem is antisemetic because he should simply quietly accept the targeted assassination of himself and his entire family like a good Palestinian, oops I mean Arab.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol compare a German university's Canadian Studies program to anything Canadians learn, even in university,

This is HMU in Munich:

Canada and Canadian Studies are an integral part of teaching and research. Special attention is paid to the historically transatlantic, but also continental interconnections of Canada and the relationship of Indigenous Peoples to the Canadian state, as well as the aftermath of this complex history on the politics, society, and culture of contemporary Canada.

The history of Canada must be understood by also looking at the history of France and Great Britain, at the history of the expansion of imperial powers into the so-called “New World,” and the conflicts that arose from it. To this day, the British monarch is the head of state of the country, which grants the francophone province of Québec special status as a "nation within a nation." Separatist tendencies and cultural conflicts continued to shape Anglo-Franco-Canadian coexistence in twentieth-century Canada. Research at the institute on this is incorporated into the course program for more advanced students.

At the same time, the history of Canada is a history of the oppression of Indigenous Peoples. The history of residential schools, but also of treaties, the question of land ownership and belonging, citizenship and Indigenous sovereignty are still central to Canadian politics, culture, literature, and society today. Especially in relation to Indigenous Peoples, Canada is often perceived as more advanced in terms of its commitment to reconciliation than the US. We discuss such notions in more advanced seminars, as well as the issue of environmental injustice, which links the country's conflicted history to the present. Doctoral students working on these issues in their dissertations are regularly involved in teaching and are thus able to report to students on their current research.

In addition, looking beyond Canada's southern border to the US allows students to understand the country's history not only from its European interconnections and the nation's and provinces' treatment of Indigenous Peoples, but also from its constant efforts to distinguish itself from the United States. From the American Revolution to the cultural policies of the 1920s/30s and the politics of multiculturalism that began in the 1970s to today's visual campaigns, the history, culture, and literature of the two nations are closely intertwined. From a Canadian perspective, the US has too often been the proverbial “elephant in the room.” In our seminars, we examine the bilateral relationship between the US and Canada, both politically and culturally, focusing on transfer processes. The history of Canada thus ultimately appears as multiply integrated, both in continental and transatlantic contexts, which have shaped and continue to shape the idea of the “nation of Canada,” but also contribute to illuminating it critically.

Who are these German freaks with Canadian studies degrees?? Are they holding conferences about how much Canada sucks somewhere?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

But hey, at least Toronto Voted and now another cop-loving orange landlord is in charge there

uh, what?

Segue
May 23, 2007

Chow's been trying to placate the police and gave them all the funding they wanted. She also rents out her house to students because we're not allowed to have a leader not invested in housing financialization.

But she's been decent at guiding some wins and playing Doug Ford for a bit, and at least she's been active unlike the entire career of Tory doing absolutely nothing

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Calgary is going to have like 600+ speakers for its blanket rezoning update to R-CG

"The R-CG land-use zoning is a low-density zoning which means a variety of low-density dwelling types can be built, including single family dwellings, semi-detached or duplex dwellings, and row-housing, all of which can include secondary suites if certain requirements are met."

If the public submissions are any indication, it's going to be 80% of people screaming about parking and having an agenda "shoved down their throats".

IIRC its one of the contingencies for the federal affordable housing money so we'll say good bye to that I guess.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Karach posted:

Who are these German freaks with Canadian studies degrees?? Are they holding conferences about how much Canada sucks somewhere?

I don’t know, but that’s like the top German university and they have PhD candidates working in it, so… maybe the foreign service? Or, people interested because of those drat Karl May books?

e: Germans were also the largest immigrant group to Canada from 1945-the 70’s, so maybe it’s a diaspora thing? Lots of Italian universities study Italian Americans.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I don’t know, but that’s like the top German university and they have PhD candidates working in it, so… maybe the foreign service? Or, people interested because of those drat Karl May books?

e: Germans were also the largest immigrant group to Canada from 1945-the 70’s, so maybe it’s a diaspora thing? Lots of Italian universities study Italian Americans.

sure but they don’t study Italian Canadians. just surprising someone cares about Canada enough to have its own “studies” program that isn’t rolled into “North American Studies” honestly

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

apatheticman posted:

Calgary is going to have like 600+ speakers for its blanket rezoning update to R-CG

"The R-CG land-use zoning is a low-density zoning which means a variety of low-density dwelling types can be built, including single family dwellings, semi-detached or duplex dwellings, and row-housing, all of which can include secondary suites if certain requirements are met."

If the public submissions are any indication, it's going to be 80% of people screaming about parking and having an agenda "shoved down their throats".

IIRC its one of the contingencies for the federal affordable housing money so we'll say good bye to that I guess.

Turdeau ain’t gonna force me to live in no fifteen-minute city! :airquote:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I bought my house and I expect this neighbourhood to stay the same forever.

Ugh there's nothing fun to do around here anymore...

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
My favourite irony is that the preservation of an exclusively single-family status quo (versus a liberalization of land use) is a forced agenda "shoved down your throat" in itself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

apatheticman posted:

I mean, Danielle has already said no to that sooooo

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, Danielle has already said no to that sooooo

that's not retroactive I think

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

a primate posted:

sure but they don’t study Italian Canadians. just surprising someone cares about Canada enough to have its own “studies” program that isn’t rolled into “North American Studies” honestly

I'm a bit worried by that, since you bring it up. Canadians coast by on not paying too close attention to our history and place in the world.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

jsoh posted:

that's not retroactive I think

I will be entirely surprised if it passes anyways, probably looking at an 8-7 loss.

Apr 21, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Apr 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I would like to live in the Canada foreigners believe we live in

An honour based society with robust rail travel, arts and letters, and a business culture that's polite and equitable.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Apr 21, 2024

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

An honour based society with robust rail travel

How old is this? Weird claim that Via Rail services Fredericton, a service which was discontinued over thirty years ago with the physical removal of the tracks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That seems to be from 2009 so you can maybe give them a pass for not wanting to predict the imminent demise of all local news, even if it was obviously heading that way.

Girl from Hong Kong is totally right though, asking someone how they are when you don't give a poo poo (or while walking past them!) is rude as hell. Did Hong Kong manage to dodge that aspect of British culture?

The section on Via rail seems to be as politely worded of a "it sucks" as can be printed in this style. I would have just said "there are worse ways to get from Toronto to Kingston".

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ElehemEare posted:

How old is this? Weird claim that Via Rail services Fredericton, a service which was discontinued over thirty years ago with the physical removal of the tracks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I would like to live in the Canada foreigners believe we live in

An honour based society with robust rail travel, arts and letters, and a business culture that's polite and equitable.

That reads like a textbook from the 1970s where a lot of that was, if not true, more true than it is today.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Apr 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dreylad posted:

That reads like a textbook from the 1970s where a lot of that was if not true, more true than it is today.

Which makes sense because English Canadian self conception seems frozen around then.

e: Some of this is just funny I suppose

"Non-verbal communication in Canada is not really different from that used in most other societies whose background is culturally English. Those who have some familiarity with both the polite (and not so polite) gestures made by both Englishmen and Americans will find most of them fairly commonly used in Canada. They will have no trouble interpreting their meanings.

For those not so familiar with Western culture, it is probably best to beware of non-verbal gestures at first, as there are some significant differences between those used in non-Western cultures and those in use in Canada. An over eager use of a particular gesture (unless you are absolutely sure of its meaning) could lead to embarrassment."

and making small talk about wilderness and wildlife your average suburbanite is incredibly disconnected from even as a national idea,

"Moose and bear are the largest species of Canadian wildlife and are often found in abundance in the north. Moose—which look like a larger version of the deer—are usually quite bashful and non-aggressive (unless they are in heat or with young), although they can be a menace if they wander onto the roads at night. There are three species of bear in Canada; polar, grizzly and black/brown bear. The polar bear is found only on the arctic coasts and islands, and although usually quite easy to spot, must be approached with extreme caution. The grizzly bear, large and often dangerous, is restricted to the north and west of the country, especially in mountainous areas. Black or brown bears can be found almost anywhere, and often make a nuisance of themselves in small communities and camping grounds by trying to get into unattended food or rubbish."

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Apr 21, 2024

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

is this what your looking for?

https://www.bdu.ac.in/centers/canadian-studies/programmes.php

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

"The five prominent writers chosen are Northrop Frye, Stephen Leacock, Rudy Wiebe, Margaret Atwood, Margaret Laurence, Mariain Engel, Ethel Wilson, Barbara Goddard, Alice Munro and a few South Asian Women."

That's not bad, is it? Probably no worse a selection than the median canlit MA, right?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The grizzly bear, large and often dangerous, is restricted to the north and west of the country, especially in mountainous areas. Black or brown bears can be found almost anywhere, and often make a nuisance of themselves in small communities and camping grounds by trying to get into unattended food or rubbish."

Brown bear is another name for the grizzly bear. Black bears can be brown, but mistaking a grizzly bear for a black bear can be a fatal mistake.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah, isn't Brown Bear the European name for grizzlies, like in Russia?

There's a difference between bears that eat trash and bears that eat you.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
And bears that eat Americans because they eat trash.

Just saying!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Internally screaming that it seems to suggest polar bears can be approached “with caution.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

should read "without regrets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

kaom posted:

Internally screaming that it seems to suggest polar bears can be approached “with caution.”

Caution:

although, if we're being serious,