Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I could go for a Night House 2 (one where the embodiment of nothingness doesn't need to stop the movie dead in its tracks in order to explain its motivations and can just be an awesome achievement of set design and photography instead) sure, thank you for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh god oh gently caress posted:

I like Night House a good bit just for the atmosphere and being one of the About Trauma horror movies to make the drama actually interesting

yeah trauma is the least interesting and most overssaturated theme in horror rn id rather literally anything else tbh

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

grobbo posted:

I could go for a Night House 2 (one where the embodiment of nothingness doesn't need to stop the movie dead in its tracks in order to explain its motivations and can just be an awesome achievement of set design and photography instead) sure, thank you for asking.

Night House 2 where it's about some construction contractors working for a house flipping company and are just struggling to do their job against the occult architecture that wants to kill them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Night House 2 where it's about some construction contractors working for a house flipping company and are just struggling to do their job against the occult architecture that wants to kill them.

"What do you mean what color for the carpet in the room with the evil ghostly face when you look at the right angle? Grey of course!"

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

yeah trauma is the least interesting and most overssaturated theme in horror rn id rather literally anything else tbh

I don't really mind it necessarily it's just that some horror movies act like they're the first ones ever to be about two things and don't bother to be scary or emotionally interesting. Kinda like all the lovely 2010s dramedies that never manage to be that good at either comedy or drama.

The way Night House concludes with her confronting the manifestation of her suicidal ideation felt like it was at least trying to say something about trauma and depression that wasn't immediately surface level. I like that it's clear that it's not something she gets rid of. That entity is always present. She holds it off in that moment but it's something she needs to continue to manage. It feels honest and hopeful without being saccharine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We need fewer horror movies about trauma, and more horror movies about a guy with a big knife

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Black Pants Man is, at it's heart, a story about dealing with the loss one's grandparents, all set in a pitch perfect recreation of early 2010s suburban Idaho

Slaughter Museum is about a high school class who do an overnight lock-in at a museum but it turns out a serial killer was locked in with them.

I know which one I would rather see

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kvlt! posted:

I can't remember which movie it was last year where one character hands another a copy of The Body Keeps The Score, complete with close-up insert shot so you can definitely read the title, but I feel like that was the exact moment I was done with "Also It's About Trauma".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Srirachachau/status/1782072306090827914

quote:

OUR ASKS OF LIONSGATE (From Heather, Michael & Josh, stars of “The Blair Witch Project”):

1. Retroactive + future residual payments to Heather, Michael and Josh for acting services rendered in the original BWP, equivalent to the sum that would’ve been allotted through SAG-AFTRA, had we had proper union or legal representation when the film was made.

2. Meaningful consultation on any future Blair Witch reboot, sequel, prequel, toy, game, ride, escape room, etc…, in which one could reasonably assume that Heather, Michael & Josh’s names and/or likenesses will be associated for promotional purposes in the public sphere.

Note: Our film has now been rebooted twice, both times were a disappointment from a fan/box office/critical perspective. Neither of these films were made with significant creative input from the original team. As the insiders who created the Blair Witch and have been listening to what fans love & want for 25 years, we’re your single greatest, yet thus-far un-utilized secret-weapon!

3. “The Blair Witch Grant”: A 60k grant (the budget of our original movie), paid out yearly by Lionsgate, to an unknown/aspiring genre filmmaker to assist in making theirfirst feature film. This is a GRANT, not a development fund, hence Lionsgate will not own any of the underlying rights to the project.

quote:

A PUBLIC STATEMENT FROM THE DIRECTORS & PRODUCERS OF “THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT”:

As we near the 25th anniversary of The Blair Witch Project, our pride in the storyworld we created and the film we produced is reaffirmed by the recent announcement of a reboot by horror icons Jason Blum and James Wan.

While we, the original filmmakers, respect Lionsgate’s right to monetize the intellectual property as it sees fit, we must highlight the significant contributions of the original cast — Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Mike Williams. As the literal faces of what has become a franchise, their likenesses, voices, and real names are inseparably tied to The Blair Witch Project. Their unique contributions not only defined the film’s authenticity but continue to resonate with audiences around the world.

We celebrate our film’s legacy, and equally, we believe the actors deserve to be celebrated for their enduring association with the franchise.

Sincerely, Eduardo Sanchez, Dan Myrick, Gregg Hale, Robin Cowie, and Michael Monello

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Horror movies about trauma are as old as the genre itself and last year's best movie was one of those, Godzilla Minus One

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Abigail was fantastic and once again continuing trend of kids absolutely killing it in horror movies (late night with the devil, M3GAN, Imaginary)

Also Kathryn Newton continues to shine in every movie she’s in (Freaky, Lisa Frankenstein and now Abigail)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Kathryn Newton has been making a good Scream Queen case recently, she's so good in everything horror she's appeared in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She got her start on Supernatural so she’s got in in her bones.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Horror movies about trauma are as old as the genre itself

yeah so is cancer but i still want it gone!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I think most of the elevated horror is just trauma over and over which is fine the first few times but becomes old fast. I probably would have appreciated Smile more if it wasn't the 100th entry into the trauma genre in the last 10 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watched Late Night with the Devil. Really drat good.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Also enjoyed Late Night With the Devil but was probably mentally over-hyped knowing it was from the same producer as Lake Mungo (however logical or illogical as that is) since that's one of my favorite found footage movies. Really enjoyed the style and pace of the movie. Saw a few various remarks that it kind of runs out of ideas towards the end, but I didn't particularly feel that way and enjoyed the chaotic final third.

TheBizzness posted:

Late Night with the Devil is a good movie but I wish it was a little spookier.

^^I do agree with this, though.

And I'm not informed enough to have an opinion on the usage of AI generated images, but I do think it's a shame that the negative attention kind of overshadowed any buzz for the movie (at least from what I saw, last October I was struggling to find out even a general release window for the movie and not a lot of ton of sources were talking about the movie in general).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm actually kinda grateful for the stink about the ai images - they look noticeably worse than the rest of the film and hopefully if everyone makes a fuss now, other studios will try and avoid it later

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've s̶e̶e̶n̶suffered through *so many* FF movies that would just flat-out be better if they just made them as normal movies. I know Bigfoot isn't real, there's no amount of shaky-cam and bad framing that's gonna convince me not only that we found Bigfoot but then commercially released a snuff film of his kills.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I said when it first became an issue and I will confirm now, had I not been told it was AI I wouldn’t have noticed.

That said, since I do know, I couldn’t stop thinking about how easy and inexpensive it would have been for them to fix it. Especially since that owl logo is in nearly every shot of the first half of the movie.

It stinks and they should replace it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

I'm actually kinda grateful for the stink about the ai images - they look noticeably worse than the rest of the film and hopefully if everyone makes a fuss now, other studios will try and avoid it later

Like Bizzness said, the attempt at downplaying it as "just 3 images" especially loving sucked because the owl near the hosed up windows one was legit the backdrop for the entrance/exit and the drumset and was thus onscreen for almost half the film

gently caress that. Fix it, and if they're going to keep making films, do better. If not I'm good with this being their first and last feature

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

I've s̶e̶e̶n̶suffered through *so many* FF movies that would just flat-out be better if they just made them as normal movies. I know Bigfoot isn't real, there's no amount of shaky-cam and bad framing that's gonna convince me not only that we found Bigfoot but then commercially released a snuff film of his kills.

It’s not like there’s a surfeit of good normal movies about Bigfoot. You got Legend of Boggy Creek, Harry and the Hendersons, and that’s it all the rest range from bad to dogshit.

Bigfoot is just a bad topic for a movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

I said when it first became an issue and I will confirm now, had I not been told it was AI I wouldn’t have noticed.

well yeah and if ya just watch the cosby show you could never parse that bill cosby was a raper that dont make it ok!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

Yeah I feel like the common consumer has to catch up and recognize AI images. I don't blame the average movie goer for not recognizing or caring about it but the images are noticeably uglier. The set and costume design had a nice 70s aesthetic to it using tonal brown shades and then the AI images look like they came from 2013 or something.

I do think there are similar analogues between the age of digital editing and AI though. I'm sure there were plenty of similar complaints about initial CGI or computers in the use of effects when they were first utilized in films. They both probably put plenty of artisans out of business and seemed similarly soulless.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What horror movies are everyone excited about?

For me it’s

Longlegs
Alien Romulus
Cuckoo
I saw tv glow
Azrarel
Maxxxine
Nosferatu
The strangers chapter 1
The Watchers
Trap
Tarot
Terrifier 3

I’m sure there are others that will get added

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The common consumer can barely tell the difference between 24 FPS and 48 FPS.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

For me it’s

Longlegs
Alien Romulus
Cuckoo
I saw tv glow
Azrarel
Maxxxine
Nosferatu
The strangers chapter 1
The Watchers
Trap
Tarot
Terrifier 3

I'm cautiously optimistic about Tarot because my boy Trevor Henderson did the creature design and he has good taste in ghoulies and a great eye for what makes a creature creepy.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Abigail was great. Dan Stevens and Lisa Frankenstein were super fun in it

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kvlt! posted:

well yeah and if ya just watch the cosby show you could never parse that bill cosby was a raper that dont make it ok!!

Read the rest of the post dude. It sucks and it needs to be fixed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Tarot because my boy Trevor Henderson did the creature design and he has good taste in ghoulies and a great eye for what makes a creature creepy.

The creature design is what got me interested in film. They look really really creepy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

Read the rest of the post dude. It sucks and it needs to be fixed.

sorry i shouldve phrased it better i was just rebutting to/mocking that specific argument bc i hear ppl make it a lot, i wasnt trying to imply you hold that opinion

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kvlt! posted:

sorry i shouldve phrased it better i was just rebutting to/mocking that specific argument bc i hear ppl make it a lot, i wasnt trying to imply you hold that opinion

Fair enough! Sorry. It’s so god drat lazy when everything else about the movie from a production standpoint is so very well done.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

For me it’s

Longlegs
Alien Romulus
Cuckoo
I saw tv glow
Azrarel
Maxxxine
Nosferatu
The strangers chapter 1
The Watchers
Trap
Tarot
Terrifier 3

This month: Humane, Infested
Next month: Tarot, I Saw the TV Glow, The Strangers Chapter 1, In A Violent Nature
June: The Watchers (directorial debut from M Night's daughter)
July: Maxxxine, Longlegs
August: Cuckoo, Trap, Alien Romulus, The Crow remake
September: Speak No Evil remake, Never Let Go (new Alexandre Aja film)
October: Smile 2, Terrifier 3
December: Nosferatu
Undated but still rumored for this year: Ash (new Flying Lotus film), Blacula remake (last October it was said to be planned for this October, heard nothing since so I doubt but still hope), Frankie Freako (new Steven Kostanski film), Salem's Lot remake, Starve Acre (folk horror starring Matt Smith and Morfydd Clark), The Toxic Avenger, Witchboard remake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m still going to kind of defend a little it because it was done before there was a big issue with it.

It’s def possible the guy they hired to make the graphics did use ai instead of someone else using ai to not hire someone to make graphics. The tech is inherently cool but there so much scum with it it’s not even worth using imo

I’m glad the film isn’t suffering from the backlash but I’m glad that there’s probably enough backlash that people won’t gently caress with ai much any more. It’s too dangerous in an artistic sense

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Did not see Immaculate going the direction it did

Fantastic film!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I was pulling an example from the ether, not making a callout post of Exists

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It’s not like there’s a surfeit of good normal movies about Bigfoot. You got Legend of Boggy Creek, Harry and the Hendersons, and that’s it all the rest range from bad to dogshit.

i agree bc they need to make him a MONSTER like all the bigfoot movies are either annoying FF "does he exist" bs or family movies like Harry and the Hendersons

make bigfoot a scary rear end mothafucka, reveal him in the first 20 min and have him rip people apart

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

i agree bc they need to make him a MONSTER like all the bigfoot movies are either annoying FF "does he exist" bs or family movies like Harry and the Hendersons

make bigfoot a scary rear end mothafucka, reveal him in the first 20 min and have him rip people apart

That could definitely work. They could also do an Aliens vs Predator thing, where Bigfoot is a good guy trying to defeat a Skinwalker and some humans get in the way

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I disagree with extreme prejudice

Kvlt! posted:

they need to make him a MONSTER like all the bigfoot movies are either annoying FF "does he exist" bs or family movies like Harry and the Hendersons

This is exactly what I've been talking about for years. Give me a legit scary Bigfoot that attacks with the strength and ferocity of an 8 foot tall great ape, and yes that would probably involve a CG Bigfoot but this is a situation where I think it's required. A guy in a suit just isn't going to do it, give me a real budget and some top tier CG effects on the Bigfoot, I'd like to experience that for once.

I hate to quote myself, but these were exactly the kind of thoughts that were coming to me as I watched a bunch of Bigfoot movies last year:

Basebf555 posted:

I think for me the scariest was Exists, which has some really effective scenes in terms of showing the power and ferocity of the Bigfoot. Which is for me the scary part about the idea of Bigfoot, it's a gigantic powerful great ape and being on the wrong side of an animal like that is just inherently terrifying. And I'm not into movies like Willow Creek that refuse to show anything, I think Exists shows you enough to make the Bigfoot scary without overexposing it.

Basebf555 posted:

It's just always been a subject that to me had never been given a fair shake in the movies. Bigfoot has always been a go-to option for zero budget filmmakers who think they can just throw a suit together and then go out into the woods and make a movie. And they absolutely can do that, and have done that and there so many of them available to stream that it's very tough to sift through them without running into some real garbage.

Just once in my life though I'd really love to see someone put some real money into a legit scary Bigfoot and do it right. I'm talking about an actual creature feature, not found footage where Bigfoot is constantly appearing at the edges of the frame for .2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I know Bigfoot isn't real

if we were still in the Halloween subforum I’d give you a sixer for this, smdh