Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whatever new mechanics they add one thing is certain:

Someone will figure out a way to handle them that takes 3x the work, fails half the time, and can be explained in one fewer sentences so it gets labeled "Braindead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

lines posted:

Enumeration doesn't explode with too many people I think.

E6S had 4 Enumerations at the same time, so someone is going to explode if you do it wrong

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there's definitely enumerations in TEA that require 3 people and fail with 4

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Enumeration itself is also rehashed from T8 Ballistic Missile, except there's actually an indicator that lets you know how many people need to be stacked instead of some vague circle sizes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Tamba posted:

E6S had 4 Enumerations at the same time, so someone is going to explode if you do it wrong

Oh for sure (same in Barb Ex), but if you end up with three people in one enumeration then it's someone else who dies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
is any of this in normal content or is it all savage and EX?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

enums were in a6n iirc

a8n as well

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Vitamean posted:

enums were in a6n iirc

a8n as well

Specifically Swindler (one of the four little guys, high/low) but I don't think he usually lives long enough to use it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eden normal - Garuda/Ifrit - were another semi recent usage of it.

Not typically called Enumeration. In traditional FFXIV style that was one of the earliest usages of it and the name kinda stuck around whenever that mechanic was used again. I'm not sure if the current blue marker has been around the whole time though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not typically called Enumeration. In traditional FFXIV style that was one of the earliest usages of it and the name kinda stuck around whenever that mechanic was used again. I'm not sure if the current blue marker has been around the whole time though.

That's why I'm not sure if Swindler lives long enough to use it, because I've done those fights a bunch and I'm struggling to remember what it looked like.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm not annoyed by these mechanics appearing in normal content, mostly that it's become so predictable how the mechanic is going to get upgraded in the extreme/savage version. If the boss does one of a left/right combo for example, it's almost guaranteed that you'll have to just dodge the other way right afterwards to the point where it's not even really a gotcha anymore.

Halone's Tetrapagos in Euphrosyne is kind of the embodiment of what the mechanic is, while The Twelve's First/Second/Third Form cleaves are a much more interesting take on the mechanic. But there's room for both of those to be actually good extreme/savage level mechanics if they were like 5 times as fast or if they fired at the same time the tell was going off for the next one.

At the same time, they've been doing these kinds of show and then resolve mechanics as far back as Alexander (A10S Single/Double/Triple charge) so they need to think of something new.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

We did it :peanut:

e: (but I'm not replacing my Mahjong Master title)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 21, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

nice, congrats on that

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I loved femhroth and was all set to fantasia over but man I do not like how they look in profile, like... rat guys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Congrats on the ultimate :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The 2nd boss of ARF always had enumeration but it had a weird marker and no one ever did the mechanic right in my experience. I'm pretty sure it exploded if you stacked more than two people and the wiki says so as well.

It now has a proper marker since the dungeon was changed in 6.3 (?) but people don't know what it means at this point in the game, so they keep exploding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a fast way to find out which Regional Folklore books I have other than hunting down each vendor?

EDIT: found it. You don't need to deal with trading for scrip vouchers and the Splendors Vendor, Rowena's Representative in Foundation/Kugane/Crystarium has a "gathering supplies" section where you can buy them for straight tokens.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2024

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

aers posted:

ffxiv gear color is rendered by indexing into a color table that is basically just 16 rows of information including the, well, color. when you dye a piece of gear, it just replaces the color in some of the rows based on some flags, which is how only some parts of gear get dyed.

since the benchmark/dt supports 2 dye channels, they had to add a new bit indicating whether a row is affected by dye 0 or dye 1. they could have done this with one bit, but made it two instead, which means the renderer supports 4 dye channels, not just 2.

I realize the answer might be a little technical for the thread but I am genuinely curious: how can you tell that both bits are for dyes?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Just finished feast of famine, I am fully fish brained now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

theironjef posted:

I loved femhroth and was all set to fantasia over but man I do not like how they look in profile, like... rat guys.

So what you're saying is

We need Emet to fantasia to catmom

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

theironjef posted:

This is the FF9 expansion...!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is there a fast way to find out which Regional Folklore books I have other than hunting down each vendor?

EDIT: found it. You don't need to deal with trading for scrip vouchers and the Splendors Vendor, Rowena's Representative in Foundation/Kugane/Crystarium has a "gathering supplies" section where you can buy them for straight tokens.

It'll also say learned in the gathering log over the entry for the items if you've learned it without needing to visit vendor

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

gay devil posted:

It'll also say learned in the gathering log over the entry for the items if you've learned it without needing to visit vendor

Do they even show up in the gathering log if you don't have them? My first clue I didn't was when I tried to search for items that were coming up blank.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Maybe this just applies to fish? Most info is replaced by question marks but they're still in the list, not 100% sure about others.

E: Just logged in to check, this does only show in the fishing log not general gathering log, sorry!

gay devil fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2024

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

I realize the answer might be a little technical for the thread but I am genuinely curious: how can you tell that both bits are for dyes?

the code does

code:
if ((materialDyeInfoBlock >> 11) & 3) == dyeChannel)
and & 3 masks off two bits

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

orcane posted:

The 2nd boss of ARF always had enumeration but it had a weird marker and no one ever did the mechanic right in my experience. I'm pretty sure it exploded if you stacked more than two people and the wiki says so as well.

It now has a proper marker since the dungeon was changed in 6.3 (?) but people don't know what it means at this point in the game, so they keep exploding.

It's a callback to the same mechanic in T8 of Coil that I mentioned above. On launch I had a friend who powerleveled through the story and was one of the earliest players hitting that dungeon. Since that meant only other hardcore players were also playing it meant that people who had also cleared Coil saw the mechanic with him and actually resolved it properly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

orcane posted:

frantically running after the healer who is fleeing with the enum marker is the only good part of new ARF

(seriously they have to either give you a raise role action, a reraise status, or make those paired circle aoes hit way less hard, because a sprout healer will absolutely eat poo poo on the first mechanic of Ascian Prime ten times)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

prine numbers can be intimidating and ascian prime numbers are no exception

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I sometimes wonder how there are still tanks in expert roulette who approach a trash pack, stop, start moving again, and then agro the trash with their face before pausing to drop five AoEs and only then moving on to the next.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I always drop two aoes because inevitably the BLM will have cast thunder or something or the monk will use his gap closer and both invariably will not target the lead mob that I just hit with a tomahawk god drat it. So I need the second aoe to pick up the spares.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

let them run the mobs into the pack. they've got manaward/second wind.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's are so many who I wish would just be consistent about it because there are so many who get to the final pack, I'm on Ninja and I'm like okay so I can start doing poo poo he'll yeah okay ten chi jin doton... then 2 gcds later they pull the final trash pack all the way to the wall away from me

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I mean, I'm gonna be dropping my full dancer raid opener on that trash pack as soon as you hit it (unless it's gonna be less than two minutes to reach the next boss even without it). I can take a punch or two on the way to the second pack if some of them aren't pissed enough at the tank though. Maybe it's pubbie tank PTSD from grouping with black mages who can't take that punch.

To which I'd advise the BLM to work on their gear so they can alpha strike and also live through it. :)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

After running dungeons as a Tank while using Duty Support/Trusts, I now have a special keybind on my Logitech G3 key that will select the first DPS in the party list, and target their target. The dumbass AI seems to just target whomthefuckever it wants, and I never know who to focus on. Hell, sometimes, the first DPS will be the ONLY one on a target, and the other DPS and Healer will be on a different one, but I won't know until I see that one's health drop waaay below the one I have targeted.

I HATE the targeting system the AI uses.

The good news is, because of how I have the Party List displayed, when I'm playing DPS, that key will target the Tank's target, so if nothing else, I'm always on your target.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thundarr posted:

I sometimes wonder how there are still tanks in expert roulette who approach a trash pack, stop, start moving again, and then agro the trash with their face before pausing to drop five AoEs and only then moving on to the next.

That's how Trust/Duty Support train them to do it. You must have aggro+ on a whole pack before continuing or they will peel off one mob and stand there to fight it. They will not follow and bring it to you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

That's how Trust/Duty Support train them to do it. You must have aggro+ on a whole pack before continuing or they will peel off one mob and stand there to fight it. They will not follow and bring it to you.

Yeah, that pisses me off, too. I'll hit the entire group with an AOE, and ONE fucker will ignore me, so I have to focus on that one while still using AOE on the rest to keep them on me.

The AI still needs work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, that pisses me off, too. I'll hit the entire group with an AOE, and ONE fucker will ignore me, so I have to focus on that one while still using AOE on the rest to keep them on me.

The AI still needs work.

Meh, cycling through the target list and spamming Shield Lobs while running to the next pack is good enough. I do that in non-Trust runs, too. Always Be Casting, after all. Sometimes I'll throw two at my first target before cycling if things gets squirrelly, since that's usually the one the NPCs go for first, but it's usually not a problem.

FuturePastNow posted:

Also, the healer will break off and run to you, but if you popped Sprint there's a good chance you're too far ahead and they left too late, so unless you immediately turned around and ran back after grabbing the second pack or saved your invuln, you're going back to the entrance.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2024

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

limp dick calvin posted:

Just finished feast of famine, I am fully fish brained now.

I have less than 100 fish total still left to get, but Namitaro is one of them :argh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Onean posted:

Meh, cycling through the target list and spamming Shield Lobs while running to the next pack is good enough. I do that in non-Trust runs, too. Always Be Casting, after all. Sometimes I'll throw two at my first target before cycling if things gets squirrelly, since that's usually the one the NPCs go for first, but it's usually not a problem.

Also, the healer will break off and run to you, but if you popped Sprint there's a good chance you're too far ahead and they left too late, so unless you immediately turned around and ran back after grabbing the second pack or saved your invuln, you're going back to the entrance.

Since the Trusts will just single-target focus one enemy at first, you can also spot that enemy (the one with health dropping faster than the others) and range attack it while running.

I'm not sure how you cycle through the enemy list though, I just click on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One pull in the Aitiascope has two packs so far apart the trust NPCs will "reset" and teleport to you if you run ahead all the way. If you're not tanking that's pretty funny because you will have all the aggro of the initial pack until your tank friend will pick them up anew. The first time I ran back to where I thought the group was, oh wait there's no group but there are four or five very angry red dots on the enemy list trying to murder me, where the hell is Urianger :argh: :suicide:

I hate how the EW leveling dungeons have so many forced single pulls though.