Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

if we were still in the Halloween subforum I’d give you a sixer for this, smdh

it deserves a permaban imo possibly a real life criminal trial for libel and slander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cryptids that aren't real:
bigfoot
nessie
champ
mongolian death worm
el chupacabra
loveland frog

cryptids that are real:
mothman
fresno nightcrawlers
tsuchinoko

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The jersey devil is real, I've seen him and he is my friend

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
At this point its hard to disprove the Fresno Nightcrawlers

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

loveland frog

an ex of mine believed the loveland frog was her dad im not even joking she was not well whether it was mental illness or frog genes only the Lord knows

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

bigfoot
nessie
champ
mongolian death worm
el chupacabra
loveland frog

cryptids that are real:
mothman
fresno nightcrawlers
tsuchinoko

You're leaving the door open on dogmen?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

The jersey devil is real, I've seen him and he is my friend

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Scariest monster I saw while hiking in the Pine Barrens was a neo nazi that wanted to swim in a river with us

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

nessie

No no, you've got it all wrong. Nessie is real, she just isn't corporeal. The reason no dredging ever turned up a body is because Nessie is a pleisiosaur that died mmillions of years ago but lives on as a ghost. :ms:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doltos posted:

Yeah I think most of the elevated horror is just trauma over and over which is fine the first few times but becomes old fast. I probably would have appreciated Smile more if it wasn't the 100th entry into the trauma genre in the last 10 years.

less movies about the fear of trauma taking over your life manifesting as giant snakes, more movies about the fundamental fear of being chased by a real giant snake imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just found the flatwoods monster in fallout 76 and now I really want to make my flatwoods movie. It looked cool in the game. But it needed more of that spade head.

Flatwoods is underrated

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
flatwoods is real (is an owl)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its an alien with glowing eyes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Snooze Cruise posted:

bigfoot
nessie
champ
mongolian death worm
el chupacabra
loveland frog

cryptids that are real:
mothman
fresno nightcrawlers
tsuchinoko

Ogopogo, yes/no?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ogopogo, yes/no?

that one is real

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

animals that are not real:

horses. look at their eyes. they always look like a human got trapped in a horses body and is miserable and desperate but cant communicate. horses are demonic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

that one is real

I grew up in the Okanagan and can confirm

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Opopanax posted:

I grew up in the Okanagan and can confirm

Exactly, and they spread the word as they go west.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I highly doubt a biologist would just go up and touch a Jersey Devil

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Kvlt! posted:

horses. look at their eyes. they always look like a human got trapped in a horses body and is miserable and desperate but cant communicate. horses are demonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk4G2wuGKJE

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My literal first thought.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Medullah posted:

I love James Randi

movie sure didn't

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Which Bigfoot movie is the one where Bigfoot rips a guy's dingus off? That's the best Bigfoot movie

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Which Bigfoot movie is the one where Bigfoot rips a guy's dingus off? That's the best Bigfoot movie

Night of the Demon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

movie sure didn't

Good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
NIGHT OF THE DEMON kicks rear end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lots of big names and brands this week in Bracketology. Maybe not all the biggest movies.

Where We’re At:
4. Tobe Hooper’s The Mangler vs. 13. Renny Harlin’s Exorcist: The Beginning
5. (Goat’s Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead) Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead vs. 12. (Sam’s Argenterror) Demián Rugna’s Terrified

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Apr 28th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 14. Always Back The Drac
6. In Space No One Can Hear You Stream vs. 11. Lucio Fulci

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo91Fq9tKY

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

As excited as I am for Trap, his daughters film I’m more excited for

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Busy weekend:

Friday night: The First Omen in theater and Late Night With The Devil at home. First Omen felt more authentic, or at least more restrained, in terms of being Euro/Catholic horror than a lot of the American-produced stuff in that genre I've seen lately (30 Coins being my current gold standard). The twist of Margaret being a second antichrist-mother felt pretty telegraphed, though I was surprised her roommate was in on it. Agreed with most of y'all that the hey assholes this is a prequel stuff towards the end detracted from the atmosphere set by the rest of the movie.

Late Night: I had fun with it; the AI art fuckin didn't need to be there. Always love when a demon reifies and poo poo gets gory and trippy.

Saturday: Child's Play 2 & 3 aren't on our streaming so we skipped ahead and watched Bride of Chucky, which is still great. I love how much bathos they make out of flipping between "These 10-lb dolls are actually dangerous homicidal maniacs" and "These dangerous homicidal maniacs are still 10-lb dolls" and I don't think I will ever not cackle when Chucky is flung around the room. Followed it up with the 80s Invaders From Mars, which was note-perfect b-movie schlock.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Lots of big names and brands this week in Bracketology. Maybe not all the biggest movies.

Where We’re At:
4. Tobe Hooper’s The Mangler vs. 13. Renny Harlin’s Exorcist: The Beginning
5. (Goat’s Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead) Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead vs. 12. (Sam’s Argenterror) Demián Rugna’s Terrified

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Apr 28th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 14. Always Back The Drac
6. In Space No One Can Hear You Stream vs. 11. Lucio Fulci

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

I loved “The Mangler” short story—anything where spell ingredients get kinda symbolic and postmodern does it for me. hopefully I can find some time to czech this one out…

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

NIGHT OF THE DEMON kicks rear end.

Oh does it ever. It's pure exploitive trash and I say that in a very good way.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

I still remember the goon who was sharing his experience working at a stable and how twitchy the horses were and his still memorable line of 'Poor Freckles, thought of ants and died'.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

The Berzerker posted:

WeaponX posted:

Night of the Demon

At first I thought you meant Night of the Demon (1957) and was nodding approvingly like, 'it's a creative interpretation, but yes, the movie is really about proving the existence of Satanic Bigfoot who shows up out of the woods and rips guys' dinguses off'

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Chris James 2 posted:

Starve Acre (folk horror starring Matt Smith and Morfydd Clark),

Neat! I enjoyed the book this is based on. Although if it is anything like the book, and folks've had their fill of (broad theme spoilers coming up)"actually it's about grief" films then maybe wait for streaming/rental.

I'm looking forward to Longlegs, The Watchers, I Saw the TV Glow, Alien Romulus, In a Violent Nature, Maxxxine, Tarot, Nosferatu.

Although given how few foreign films make it to the theatres around here, and the fact that I've had to cancel most of my subscription services, who knows when I'll actually get to see any of them!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Casting runes, ripping doongs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'll never tire of "it's about grief" horror

Everything you consume has a message, if you're not perceptive enough to see that it's not the creator's fault when it's pointed out to you or when you discover it, it doesn't auto-make it bad, and it's doubly not their fault for making something timely in a big and vast genre that IMO encompasses everything and that is, if nothing else, known for being timely (did or didn't COVID just happen? Did or didn't it kill someone you knew, either directly or mutually/separated by a degree? What does coming that close to mortality, and isolated either physically or emotionally while doing it, do to you and your mentality going forward?)

:yeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

While sometimes modern horror can be a bit clunky and obvious in their metaphor, that's something affecting the media landscape as a whole, and sometimes an obvious message doesn't automatically mean a bad one. And so much great horror - and this is what made me absolutely fall in love with the genre - can be savvy and have depth even when the subject is about a giant blob or whatever.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is about how disabled people, especially teenagers, are not taken seriously by the social programs set up to "protect" them, and rarely if ever get the help they need or deserve. Bubba Ho Tep is about how miserable senior living facilities are and how badly society treats those on the fringe of society - in this case the elderly or those suffering from dementia. Godzilla Minus One is about breaking down the myth of the noble death and exploring the generational trauma of the nuclear attacks on Japan. They are also about a spooky man who kills people ironically in dreams, a mummy fighting Elvis and Black JFK, and a big lizard destroying a city, respectively.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i just dont need a metaphor in my horror movies tbh or at least not ALL OF them. Like give me a movie about a scary guy with a machete attacking teenagers and just have it be that. not everything needs to be some grand metaphor or statement, i think filmmaking esp horror has forgotten about just having fun and being entertained and escaping lovely reality for a few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There was a three week period where there were two extremely good new religious horror films that easily could have just been about fighting the Devil and instead subverted those expectations, one by showing the importance of choosing oneself over the demands of a society fixated on being a parent first (and on being the perfect ideal of one after), and the other about how necessary it is to discover oneself on the way to even being able to choose that (and how anarchic such a concept can be; not a coincidence at all The First Omen was deliberately taking place amidst a backdrop of mass student protests, strikes, tension and violence like the Years of Lead)