Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Hahaha, gently caress those guys! OP did everything right here.

First of all, they're just wrong. it's the driver that gets the ticket. It's a loving moving violation. Ticketing the passengers just doesn't make sense. Like how would that even work?

In the UK it's actually the passenger who gets a £500 fine if they're over 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fil5000 posted:

British PSAs are their own specific horror genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzQDhYE2c0

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DreamingofRoses posted:

That month-long probe you guys gave Cowslips that chased them from the thread sure cut down on abuse posting and bitching about abuse posting huh?

Thank you for contributing, but you're being a bit obtuse if you think things were better with Cowslips around when they'd post "AITA for being mad that my dad repeatedly ran over my dog in the driveway?" stories every few days, upsetting people and generating literally dozens of reports.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Well, thank you for introducing me to another distinct and specific horror genre. Kudos to America for getting real weird with it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Nah I am with train guy. What if he gets off at the next stop, and then so does she, but they can't find each other in the crowd and they both miss the train? Or she gets off the train to look for him as he's getting on to look for her? It's simpler and therefore better to just proceed to the next prearranged meeting space which was the final destination.

E: of course this presupposes they have never had the completely reasonable conversation of "hey if we ever get separated in a crowd we should [x]."

Twelve years ago I went to Disney World with my girlfriend, her three year old daughter, and another couple who also had a kid. Due to scheduling we didn't have a lot of time at Epcot so we separated for a bit. I went to go look at some things my girlfriend and the kid didn't want to do and they went to something I didn't want to do. Easy; we left the stroller in a stroller parking area and said we would meet here if our phones died or something.

I came back from my ride, they're not there, park closes in thirty minutes. The stroller area was right next to an ice cream place so I went in for a cone while I waited, came back in less than five minutes.

The stroller is gone. I eat my ice cream sitting nearby, ten minutes, no responses on the phone. I finally head towards the area of the ride I went to (they knew the ride) and caught them coming back. They went looking for me and took the stroller because her phone was dead and they didn't see me. I argued that we had said to meet at the stroller and wait for the other, not take the stroller and go looking.

The point is, always make a meet up plan and stick to it. Also don't go to Disney World unless you're rich I guess, it's expensive and stressful.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you for contributing, but you're being a bit obtuse if you think things were better with Cowslips around when they'd post "AITA for being mad that my dad repeatedly ran over my dog in the driveway?" stories every few days, upsetting people and generating literally dozens of reports.

Is there any particular reason that this post which is apparently SO offensive and objectionable that the person who shared it has to be punished, but IS NOT so offensive + objectionable that it is worth removing from the thread? fwiw im not losing any sleep over a dead fish but if we're pretending we're all traumatized about it lets just delete the post

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

thread is being watched, just need to chill for a bit until the crusaders get bored

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Indecisive posted:

Is there any particular reason that this post which is apparently SO offensive and objectionable that the person who shared it has to be punished, but IS NOT so offensive + objectionable that it is worth removing from the thread? fwiw im not losing any sleep over a dead fish but if we're pretending we're all traumatized about it lets just delete the post

Because editing and deleting posts is frowned upon unless the content is particularly egregious. It wasn't "SO offensive and objectionable" which is why it only got a sixer. It's more of a reminder "Hey, let's not with this sort of thing" before it gets out of hand yet again.

Oh, and next time maybe leave out the lovely attitude. There was a way of asking that without "pretending we're all traumatized" when that's clearly not what happened, and the responses are from regulars who, again, do not want this iteration of the thread filled with animal abuse stories as with the last one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'm traumatized af

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for asking my biological mother why I'd help her and her kids?

quote:

My biological mother didn't raise me. She let my dad raise me for the first two years on his own and then he passed away and my maternal grandparents took custody of me like my dad wanted and my grandparents became my parents but raised me to know about the loving dad I had. My grandparents were amazing and I feel lucky that they also loved my dad and respected him enough, despite him not being their son, to make sure I did grow up knowing he had wanted me even though their daughter/my biological mother didn't.

I lost both my grandparents in the last four years. Grandpa died four years ago when I (21M) was 17 and grandma died eight months ago. I inherited the most from my grandparents. My aunts and uncles all inherited a small portion of their estate, my biological mother got smallest amount they could get away with giving her (which was like $5 lol). But I got the family home because I still lived here with grandma and I got a sizable amount of money.

After my grandparents died my aunts and uncles got closer to my biological mother again and they became a family again and met her husband and kids. I wasn't a part of that. I have zero desire to know this woman or her family. She was never my mom. Nothing will change that.

A coupe of months ago she reached out and told me she and her family were struggling and asked for money. I ignored her and asked my aunts and uncles how she found me and they admitted they passed my info along. I told them I didn't like that. They said she's family whether I like it or not and at least I should be interested in helping her kids because they're my siblings.

She asked for money again after that but I still didn't reply. Then last week she contacted me again and said they needed a place to stay and she and her kids really needed my help. I asked her why I would help her and her kids when they're nothing but strangers to me. I told her to stop expecting me to take care of her.

She called me names. Then she told my aunts and uncles and they went crazy on me. They said she's "still my mom" and I said she was a biological mother, a birth mother, but not a mom when it concerned me. They told me she was still my mom and her kids were my siblings and I should be there for them if not for her. They told me I shouldn't be a monster to them when I could help them. I told them if they wanted a relationship they could help her. They told me my question was meant to be nasty and nothing else.

I was also told she was young when she had me and I should understand better... she was 25. She wasn't a teenager.

AITA?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Before I was aware of this social dynamic, I blew up a WOW guild by accident, back when WOW was a new thing. The GM was being a hardass about something dumb (probably something like forbidding me to be silly in general chat) and gave me a 'you will stop that or you're out of the guild'. Since it was just a guild I randomly joined, I figured it was no big deal to leave, so I just said "OK, good luck guys I'm outta here". According to a buddy of mine who was in the guild, something like half the guild ended up leaving in the next couple of hours while the GM tried to threaten people into staying, which just made the problem worse. (Threatening to kick people if they leave is not the best strategy in the world).

There's an old joke with various setups but the same punchline of "oh, that's because the reason they live in [whatever city the teller's dunking on] is they don't know they're allowed to leave."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

If OP's bio mom wasn't there for OP why does she expect OP to be there for her?

wheatpuppy posted:

Nah I am with train guy. What if he gets off at the next stop, and then so does she, but they can't find each other in the crowd and they both miss the train? Or she gets off the train to look for him as he's getting on to look for her? It's simpler and therefore better to just proceed to the next prearranged meeting space which was the final destination.
If he got off at the next stop and then on the next train I don't think he would have been any worse. But I'm not sure there's really a right answer in terms of where to meet. They probably should have had a plan for where to meet (not that people usually do nowadays because of cellphone), but probably more importantly, he really shouldn't have gotten on without her.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 22, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Uncles & aunts salty as hell that the lion's share of the estate went to the grandkid

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Uncles & aunts salty as hell that the lion's share of the estate went to the grandkid
And OP is right that if they are that concerned they can help OP's bio mom themselves.

They fact that they apparently don't seem interested in doing so highly suggests that rather than being concerned for OP's bio mom, they actually don't give a poo poo about her either and just want OP to make her go away.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Unwanted child stole all the money from the grandparents when he should have had the common decency to just not exist. Clearly he planned for this to happen by being born.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for gatekeeping my recipes from my one upper DIL

quote:

So my DIL has a habit of one upping people, at the beginning I don’t really notice it but it is obvious now. Everyone in the family has something they are good at and it’s like their thing. For example my daughter was really into making pies. One day DIL ( I’ll call her Kelly) asked for the recipes. My daughter gave them and started to bring pies to every family event, kinda kicking my daughter out of her thing. Then pushed for the family to compare them. My daughter wasn’t happy.

The big one which made me really notice what she was doing was when she one upped my youngest. She was 14 at the time and when they all the kids hit high school, they were responsible for getting gifts for events. My youngest wasn’t hiding the fact that she was giving me a knitted scarf for secret Santa. She was 14 and was very obvious about it. The whole family knew.

So on Christmas DIL got me a very nice scarf bonus gift, and gave it to me right after my youngest gave me hers. So that wasn’t okay. I had a conversation with her and she denied doing it, my son also told me he can’t see it.

Every since then more people have been noticing it and even my husband sees it. It has happened to almost every women/girl in the family at this point.

This brings me to the point of this post, I have really good Italian recipes form my mom. I bring them to events. My DIL asked for the recipes and I told her no. This started about why. She accused me on not giving her family recipes since I don’t see her as families and I told her it is due to her behavior. She called me a dick.

My son is also on my rear end about it saying I am gatekeeping recipient since I don’t like her.
"Hey husband look, isn't my storebought scarf way better than that lovely one your sister made?"
"Yeah that rules."

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My best friend’s boyfriend cheated on her and my boyfriend knew the whole time

quote:

TL;DR: my best friend’s (21f) boyfriend (24m) cheated on her and my boyfriend (24m) knew the whole time and didn’t tell me (21f)

I (21F) have been with my boyfriend (24m) for over 2 years now and today I just found out that my best friend’s (Sara, 22f) boyfriend (Sam, 24m) cheated on her during the first 2 years of their relationship (total 3 years). It was over a year ago that my bf, my friend’s bf, and Sam all went out to the bars together where Sam apparently made out with another girl. My bf and my friend’s bf both saw him make out with the girl and decided not to tell anyone to honor “bro code” because it “wasn’t their business” to tell any of us girls, including Sara. I only found out because my friends bf confessed all he knew to me and my friend.

Apparently that is not the farthest Sam has gone with cheating on Sara (my bf did not know this part) as he told my friends bf that he has fully cheated on Sara multiple times with multiple different women throughout their entire relationship. I 100% plan on telling Sara as soon as she gets back from a trip. I don’t condone cheating of any kind and I know that she would want to know what Sam has been doing behind her back.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that my bf keeping this secret from me was wrong. He’s not very close with Sam and I feel disappointed that he took Sam’s side over doing what was right and telling either me or Sara herself what really happened.

Am I being dramatic for feeling disappointed in my boyfriend and like I lost some respect for him for keeping this secret for so long?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Kurieg posted:

My son is also on my rear end about it saying I am gatekeeping recipient since I don’t like her.

Does the son not realize that you are allowed to do that? If you don't like someone you aren't like, legally required to acquiesce to their every request.

mystes
May 31, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

Does the son not realize that you are allowed to do that? If you don't like someone you aren't like, legally required to acquiesce to their every request.
"DIL" means that she's that son's wife I assume, right?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The correct move here is to just give in and hand over the recipes.

Not the real recipes of course, the absolute worst ones you can find online. Why yes, my pasta sauce is indeed made with tomato soup instead of tomatoes and maple syrup as the secret ingredient. Don’t tell anybody. Oh, you brought it to Thanksgiving this year and people are complaining about the taste? No idea, maybe you over-cooked it :shrug:.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

"DIL" means that she's that son's wife I assume, right?

Yeah that was my assumption.

MagusofStars posted:

Not the real recipes of course, the absolute worst ones you can find online. Why yes, my pasta sauce is indeed made with tomato soup instead of tomatoes and maple syrup as the secret ingredient. Don’t tell anybody. Oh, you brought it to Thanksgiving this year and people are complaining about the taste? No idea, maybe you over-cooked it :shrug:.

This is the way. "Of course my alfredo recipe has raisins in it. It's a regional specialty!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MagusofStars posted:

God, the idea of handing someone laminated cards with the worst garbage recipes you can find is extremely funny.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

MagusofStars posted:

Waiting for someone to chime in and claim that it's how you make pasta in Ohio/Indiana/Wisconsin/whatever.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shanghaied posted:

Waiting for someone to chime in and claim that it's how you make pasta in Ohio/Indiana/Wisconsin/whatever.

Don't be absurd. That's a Canadian recipe if I ever saw one

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Because editing and deleting posts is frowned upon unless the content is particularly egregious. It wasn't "SO offensive and objectionable" which is why it only got a sixer. It's more of a reminder "Hey, let's not with this sort of thing" before it gets out of hand yet again.

Oh, and next time maybe leave out the lovely attitude. There was a way of asking that without "pretending we're all traumatized" when that's clearly not what happened, and the responses are from regulars who, again, do not want this iteration of the thread filled with animal abuse stories as with the last one.

It's a loving fish

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't be absurd. That's a Canadian recipe if I ever saw one

Meemaw's Manitoban Marinara.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's a loving fish

Have you stopped and thought about why you're arguing this in the first place?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
it's a sixer that's a stern "take a nap and come back" who cares
this thread does get worse when we're trying to one up each other with sad pet stories

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, at this point anyone trying to bring the thread back to the asinine discussion of what kinds of animal abuse stories should and should not be allowed is going to be taking the afternoon off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Her only replies in the comments are to someone suggesting she do just that with "oh god no that'd just make everything worse."

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

They'd call it chili in Ohio and claim it's great.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i had chili with elbow noodles for the first time last night and it was better than i expected

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Fil5000 posted:

God, the idea of handing someone laminated cards with the worst garbage recipes you can find is extremely funny.

I love the idea of trying to come with with recipes that sound plausible but are really terrible to get her to keep trying them. And maybe give some breadcrumbs for a search for the 'right' recipe, like hint there's something specific about the raisins for the raisin alfredo but don't be too specific, so she'll think she got the wrong type instead of that you're trolling her.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm never on the side of people withholding recipes, but sometimes the person asking is awful and its justified to gently caress with them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ominous Jazz posted:

i had chili with elbow noodles for the first time last night and it was better than i expected

chili mac is a staple military food and iirc its still an MRE.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

chili mac is a staple military food and iirc its still an MRE.

Its also been a Hamburger Helper thing for decades.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's a sixer that's a stern "take a nap and come back" who cares
this thread does get worse when we're trying to one up each other with sad pet stories

Yeah I’m fine with the 6er/“hey be more careful next time”. This is, in fact, way better than last thread where Cowslips would one-up any animal abuse story with some nauseating, often unspoilered animal death story.

Ok content. Try to guess what this guy’s upset about :
My wife (37F) and I (38M) were humiliated by being denied entry at a bar this weekend. It ruined our date night and has had us feeling awful ever since. What can we do?

quote:

This last weekend, my wife were out on a date to a concert. After we left the show, we wanted to try out a new really popular bar that was a few blocks away. When we got there, there was a giant line to get in. She really wanted to see it, so we waited around fifteen or twenty minutes.

As we got close to the front, a group of people that had a look as if they walked out of a magazine or some instagram influencer page roamed up to the front of the line and were invited in by the staff. As soon as they did, the line closed off right as we were at the front of the line.

My wife and I are both pushing 40 and are not exactly as glamorous looking as that group, even though I think we were dressed just as nicely and put ourselves together the best we can.

Getting plainly told in coded language that we weren't good enough or good looking enough was a really embarrassing moment and it really kind of ruined our night.

Neither of us were ever the popular kids in school, were always the types to be picked last, and frankly have put up with that sort of thing our whole lives. Getting ridiculed in that way was a really hurtful way to whiplash us into some PTSD and I don't think either of us have been able to stop reliving that moment in our head ever since.

Are we awful for letting this affect us so badly? How can we move on?

TLDR - I kind of feel like I need some sort of resolution to this to really move past it and forget it but I have no idea what. What can we do?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Simply be better looking it's just that easy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fil5000 posted:

British PSAs are their own specific horror genre. If you ever have half an hour spare, I highly recommend "Apaches", a short film about the dangers of being a kid playing on a farm which includes both death by weedkiller and slurry pit.

Edit: Oh poo poo it's directed by the same guy that directed The Long Good Friday. We used to be a country.

Australian PSAs are a similar genre, our anti-smoking ads are legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American anti smoking ads seem specifically formulated to make smoking seem cool