Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Burn Hollywood Burn isn't that bad and the Raspberries are a terrible marker for something being bad. Shelly Duvall got one for her performance in The Shining, and I think most people today would agree she is pretty good in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s too early to be sure, but I may have broken my bad movie streak.

I’ll give you a hint, the movie I’m currently watching features a Chinese guy with cornrows and a leather trench coat that looks like it was vacuum sealed to his torso.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really want to watch Hundreds of Beavers but it isn’t out theatrically in my country yet. Should I wait for a cinema experience or will it still hit watching the web version at home

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

Burn Hollywood Burn isn't that bad and the Raspberries are a terrible marker for something being bad. Shelly Duvall got one for her performance in The Shining, and I think most people today would agree she is pretty good in that.

Also it’s pretty gross because her performance was heavily influenced by Kubrick browbeating her.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That rumor has always bothered me because it seems to have come from other people deciding on Shelly Duvall's behalf that her experience should have been traumatizing. But when you listen to what she actually has to say aboutit, she mostly complains how having to cry was physically draining and otherwise seems to have a high opinion of Kubrick.

https://movieweb.com/the-shining-shelley-duvall-stanley-kubrick/

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Escobarbarian posted:

I really want to watch Hundreds of Beavers but it isn’t out theatrically in my country yet. Should I wait for a cinema experience or will it still hit watching the web version at home

It definitely benefits from a crowd experience, if you watch it at home you should invite some people over for drinks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People will just run with anything that sounds good to them. Personally I usually see it from King fans desperate to try and overturn the overwhelming opinion that the film is better than the novel by "canceling" Kubrick for his "heinous" treatment of Shelley. Besides it's a good story, tearing down perhaps the greatest film auteur, a movie about insanity making someone insane, a director's daughter unwittingly capturing the monster her father is. Facts like Duvall having a successful film and TV career after The Shining, her attitude towards the director, and her psychological problems starting decades later don't need to be examined when you've already cut and print the narrative.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kubrick gets a lot of poo poo for being a perfectionist but from everything I've heard he was really kind and protective of the kid playing Danny, so much so that he didn't even know he was in a horror film until years later,

Compare that to Terry Gilliam traumatising Sarah Polley on Baron Munchausen and , several orders of magnitude worse: John Landis literally killing two children. Both of them seemingly don't give a poo poo and have no remorse.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I enjoyed Late Night with the Devil quite a lot. I didn't recognise most of the actors, but they were all solid. Dastmalchian and Ingrid Torelli were both highlights for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Snow Monster vs Ice Shark. It was alright. The title may make you assume it's an Asylum style crap fest, but the people involved actually tired. There's multiple sets, even. And the titular Snow Monster is a real full suit! A pretty good suit too, and technically well composited in. Which is nice because you get a lot of full body shots of that thing just standing around.

Not great but I made it to the end and it never made me angry.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gripweed posted:

I watched Snow Monster vs Ice Shark. It was alright. The title may make you assume it's an Asylum style crap fest, but the people involved actually tired. There's multiple sets, even. And the titular Snow Monster is a real full suit! A pretty good suit too, and technically well composited in. Which is nice because you get a lot of full body shots of that thing just standing around.

Not great but I made it to the end and it never made me angry.

If you willingly watch a movie called Snow Monster vs Ice Shark, you lose the right to be angry about it by default.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Babylon. Shame it was a box office failure, big ol' spectacle reminiscent of a slightly more restrained Baz Luhrmann joint. Story it tells is tragic and hits the right notes, with all the main cast killing it. Pitt and Robbie are fantastic, but Diego Calva holds his own too.

The humor is... not the worst, but it's weird. Like within five minutes you have a guy get graphically covered in poo poo from an elephant, and very soon after you're watching a woman pee on a guy. Very 'lol poop', which is fine, but feels out of place when that's all there is to it. Like someone said "hey this film needs more gags" and an anguished writer went "you want gags? I'll give you gags, this movie starts with a guy getting rainforest cafed all over him."

Testament to the rest of the movie that that wasn't too hard to overlook. Not a must-see, but a pretty entertaining take on a Cabaret-esque plot.

Also laughed out loud when they included Avatar in a montage of ground-breaking "CINEMA!" at the end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stegosnaurlax posted:

If you willingly watch a movie called Snow Monster vs Ice Shark, you lose the right to be angry about it by default.

There's nothing wrong with trying foreign films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

There's nothing wrong with trying foreign films.

So which polish film are u gunna put on? :buddy:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

So which polish film are u gunna put on? :buddy:

I've just been very bored by all the Polish movies I've tried to sit through. Maybe one day there'll be one where they remember to take the lens cap off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I've just been very bored by all the Polish movies I've tried to sit through. Maybe one day there'll be one where they remember to take the lens cap off.

The Hourglass Sanatorium.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I actually did just order a Czechoslovakian movie, so I'm getting closer

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

It's a blast to see at home, I haven't seen it in a theater

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like the 4K of Se7en will have some digital fuckery in it. Sounds like it's all very minor and tasteful, but I can't imagine this not turning a lot of folks off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's in the boooooox?!

Maclunkey!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like the 4K of Se7en will have some digital fuckery in it. Sounds like it's all very minor and tasteful, but I can't imagine this not turning a lot of folks off.

quote:

Then there was the annoying flyaway hair that suddenly appeared on Paltrow’s face during that intimate diner scene with Freeman. “You couldn’t even see in the film version that it cuts right through Gwyneth’s eye,” Fincher said. “And I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in 1080p. But in 4K you can definitely see it, and we had to take that thing out because it was too distracting.”

that man needs to calm down

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kubrick gets a lot of poo poo for being a perfectionist but from everything I've heard he was really kind and protective of the kid playing Danny, so much so that he didn't even know he was in a horror film until years later,

Huh what a dumb kid

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Agreed. It’s been lovely film after lovely film and I don’t get why he’s subjecting himself to this! There are so many good films he could be watching!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jay Rust posted:

Huh what a dumb kid

Kubrick kept showing him the "Shining as family film/romantic comedy" trailers you can find on Youtube by the dozens.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For real though, when he wanted Danny to look scared he'd be like "okay show me happy! Now show me sad! Now scared! Now surprised!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

For real though, when he wanted Danny to look scared he'd be like "okay show me happy! Now show me sad! Now scared! Now surprised!"

No wonder filming took so drat long

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Even Dwarfs Started Small worth finishing? It is not the movie I expected

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I assume it's short

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Is Even Dwarfs Started Small worth finishing? It is not the movie I expected

I didn’t care for it. If you don’t like it from the get go I doubt it’ll win you over by the end.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Holy poo poo some of the camera movements in Fritz Lang's M are insane, especially considering how bulky those cameras in 1931 and they must have weighed like 50kg. That shot with the move through the glass window, which then goes on to rotate around to focus on another character, I gasped out loud.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
well it’s gonna be hard for any other movie to beat CHALLENGERS for me this year

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Challengers just doesn't look interesting to me. I don't really care about Tennis, and I neither dislike or get excited for Zendya.

But I see it getting a lot of hype. And I'm sure I'll end up watching it if it becomes an Oscars pic as I try to watch those at the end of year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How big a fan of threesomes are you, because from the marketing I get the strong sense that's what the movie is mostly about

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think I'm finally gonna turn around my bad movie streak; a website was doing a big sale on Troma movies and I grabbed some of those.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every time I see that Zendaya trailer I think of that tweet about having an Y Tu Mama Tambien summer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My new project idea is: watch every movie that was given a condemned rating by the Legion of Decency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_condemned_by_the_Legion_of_Decency

They really didn't just give out that rating, it was only a few movies a year in the last decades

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Every time I see that Zendaya trailer I think of that tweet about having an Y Tu Mama Tambien summer.

Accurate. It owns

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carpet posted:

Holy poo poo some of the camera movements in Fritz Lang's M are insane, especially considering how bulky those cameras in 1931 and they must have weighed like 50kg. That shot with the move through the glass window, which then goes on to rotate around to focus on another character, I gasped out loud.

A lot of directors around that time were all like "Ugh the transition to Talkies is really limiting what we can do with the camera" and Fritz Lang looked down and replied "Skill Issue."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, Hundreds of Beavers was fantastic. I was on board from the start with its general Looney Tunes bullshit, but it escalates so beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderman 2 is the perfect film