Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I love the Doom 2 arcade cabinet in Grosse Point Blank

https://youtu.be/bpyC5OV4cy4?si=jk8PCAAQFWvY7vmR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

remembering on Breaking Bad when Jesse played Rage... except he was using a light gun????

Edit: wait what.... apparently they commissioned it from id and it wasn't just some "we don't know how games work" deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJpCoTN0hxw

This is really cool! I never knew this. I figured it was all just carefully edited.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

haveblue posted:

That always happens, and then you get recruited into an adventure. Surprise, it's an ARPG

so what this actually should be is a Rune Factory-like

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's good folks?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
video games

j/k

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You are.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving lies

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

house of cards has that bizarre scene about kevin spacey and his PS Vita

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I知 shopping for a budget gaming pc

A friend told me the Steam Deck is starting to run into a performance hill with games released 2023 onwards. How true is this

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 22, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wouldn't be surprised, lotta PC games coming out now seem to be a tad bit overengineered and can have issues on even the best hardware available now

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdigcTvSZU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not looking for a full tower, looking for something to play on the tv, and maybe in bed

Micro PC, laptop or Steam Deck (or Steam Deck clone)?

I知 also told gaming laptops get way hot because they cram in components that probably need desktop cooling. What do you guys think

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

3 body problem has a character playing mortal kombat 1 (2023) but with everything but the character models scrubbed out of frame and the name never mentioned. i'm not sure if something like that would fall under fair use or not

Depends... some of the MK characters' likenesses are individually trademarked.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiredew Valley

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Steve Yun posted:

Not looking for a full tower, looking for something to play on the tv, and maybe in bed

I知 also told gaming laptops get way hot because they cram in components that probably need desktop cooling. What do you guys think

A deck is a pretty good pick for those uses.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I知 shopping for a budget gaming pc

A friend told me the Steam Deck is starting to run into a performance hill with games released 2023 onwards. How true is this
thats not really something you can universally say but yet it was a machine that was meant to play games at 30fps at 800p 2 years ago, it has a fairly narrow performance envelope for AAA games. you can always turn poo poo down though

dd2 you're not gonna play on it, but helldivers 2 runs fine, and any indie game is gonna be fine for years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve Yun posted:

Steam deck seems like a decent compromise, but I hear it gets warm with more demanding games (less of an issue with the OLED model iirc), and you're not going to be able to play some big newer games at all (like DD2).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the way the steam deck is designed, it doesnt really matter how hot it gets because all the thermals are in the middle and your hands are on the grips as far away from it as possible. even when the fan's running full blast I don't notice it getting hot unless I use the touch screen for some reason or touch the back, or point the vent directly at my face

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anyway I came back to post because I'm playing the FF3 pixel remaster and I got to Cave of Shadows and ugh that dungeon is balls.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Steve Yun posted:

do you have a pc already?
consider using the steam link app to stream gameplay from your existing PC to your phone, then just hook up a wireless controller
won't cost you anything so it's worth trying out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There was an episode of a 90s sitcom (Roseanne?) where a kid gets a Super Nintendo, and he's play Super Mario World. It doesn't show the game, but you can tell the kid is playing it because he's smashing every button on the controller and moving around erratically to show he's playing the video game. But when he dies, one of the other characters says, "See, you died? That's your blood."

Mario does not bleed!!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

credburn posted:

There was an episode of a 90s sitcom (Roseanne?) where a kid gets a Super Nintendo, and he's play Super Mario World. It doesn't show the game, but you can tell the kid is playing it because he's smashing every button on the controller and moving around erratically to show he's playing the video game. But when he dies, one of the other characters says, "See, you died? That's your blood."

Mario does not bleed!!

Boy I hope someone got fired for that blunder!

And who could forget iconic two-player game Final Fantasy VIII in Charlie's Angels (2000)?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One drop of Mario's blood will give you 99 free mans

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Mario does not bleed!!

he was playing on a haunted cartridge :ghost:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

credburn posted:

Mario does not bleed!!

We just got our thread title for may

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maypril 2024 Video Game Chat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

Maypril 2024 Video Mayme Chat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Maypril 2024 Video Game Chat

Embed this on every page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wYtNemyfsA

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

credburn posted:

Mario does not bleed!!
The blood of Mario is held back by an invisible wall underneath his skin. Why is there an invisible wall there and...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jossar posted:

The blood of Mario is held back by an invisible wall underneath his skin. Why is there an invisible wall there and...

It's because of misaligned collision geometry such that either areas of seemingly traversable spaces are counted under roof or wall collision rules, or as out of bounds void rules.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

the way the steam deck is designed, it doesnt really matter how hot it gets because all the thermals are in the middle and your hands are on the grips as far away from it as possible. even when the fan's running full blast I don't notice it getting hot unless I use the touch screen for some reason or touch the back, or point the vent directly at my face

They say you're not supposed to breathe in the vent fumes but it feels very comforting especially on a cold day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly the Rog Ally is a solid choice for portable gaming, and the vrr screen helps out a ton.

The ideal next iteration of these things is something with both oled and a vrr screen.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I lock my deck below the range of what a vrr screen would adapt to anyway so i couldn't care less. definitely not buying one that doesnt have trackpads

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay is there a better pc game boy than steam deck I guess I should be asking next

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres a compromise with all of them, some of them are more powerful than the deck or have better screens or whatever but, crucially, they all run windows which sucks rear end in that form factor and have worse controls and ergonomics

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere, so its more what you want to give up. The Legion Go and MSI Claw can be ignored.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The others are also more expensive and less reliable, the Ally especially Asus have had to extend the warranty on because the microSD card slots on them keep breaking.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I took a notion to replay GTA V for the first time since like original release and I gotta say... it's a lot less fun than I remember it being. The good missions are great but BOY are there an awful lot of bad missions, and even most of the good ones have ridiculous amounts of driving to and fro. It's compounded quite severely by the fact that I dislike almost everyone in the game, aside from Franklin and Lamar. Contrast to RDR2 which I've moved on to replaying where there's even more riding to and fro and missions where not much happens, but because I actually like a lot of these people I give a poo poo about them and their conversations and interactions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loved all of the horse riding and long treks to the next missions in RDR2 because the environment was so immersive and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah some of the most relaxing game time I致e ever had was loving off from the main story in RDR2 and just wandering around on my horse hunting deer and exploring stuff

I was gone so long the gang sent a guy to find me and check if I was okay