Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

god i love the voice acting and writing and frank and lamar from GTAV a lot and even driving/piloting is really enjoyable. the radio stations are unbelievably good (shoutout to Soulwax FM) and the first person camera is pretty immersive. so all that to say yeah i replayed it recently too and the missions suck rear end, the gameplay and gunplay sucks rear end, you die real loving fast and theres barely any cheat codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/historyinmemes/status/1782499867215941912?s=46

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I was gone so long the gang sent a guy to find me and check if I was okay

Is that a legit mechanic? :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol did they get Louie Anderson to be one of the sports narrators? I'd play that baseball game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Infinitum posted:

Is that a legit mechanic? :allears:

It is, I remember first time I played it I was loving around being a mountain man and at one point Bill Williamson rides up out of the blue going "Holy poo poo Arthur we thought you were dead, took me forever to track you down, the gang's worried".

Just rode down from the mountain to Horseshoe Overlook which is where the game opens up and yeah god drat I remembered this game is beautiful but it's hard to keep in your mind just how beautiful.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PacoPepe posted:

I recently saw an episode of Dr House....from season 2 I believe, and he is shown clearly to be playing a Metroid game on a GBA, but it's making these Atari Beeb-boop sounds, they show Samus turning into the morph ball, then House exclaims that "he lost".

House angrily: "Ugh, not again! Metroid can't crawl!"

MLB Slam?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to play Spiderman 2 for PS2 and I'm quite bad at it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

MLB Slam?
thats mlb slugfest, its pretty good, midway trying to do the nba jam/nfl blitz thing again but with baseball. first baseball game to ever get a T rating

as far as american baseball games go, I put it behind the bigs 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZigfaPDPQ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We have how many Yakuza games and none of their baseball mini games involve fighting? At best you get some fights inside the baseball net arena

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kiryu would not spoil the sanctity of baseball like that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

We have how many Yakuza games and none of their baseball mini games involve fighting? At best you get some fights inside the baseball net arena

You got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fvlkG29zjM

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kiryu had to defend the honor of baseball

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh poo poo Infogrames is back https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/atari-revives-infogrames-publishing-label

now I have an excuse to share this here (iirc this song was produced either for E3 2001 or some corporate event around that time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522bVV-82qQ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rockstar games aren't really my jam but dougdoug's heavily modded RDR2 and GTAV challenge videos are all-timers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sorry everyone, balatro is now dead to us

https://twitter.com/maxbittker/status/1782645521888247956

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

eagerly awaiting the yandere sim code analysis subgenre of youtubers to not make a video on it since it's an actually successful game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't understand what any of this means.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's programmed 'poorly'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRT9E0C3XM

But the game rules, so who loving cares

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is this akin to how people deduced that like the original Mario Party was totally rigged and not actually random luck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao was it really? I loving knew it

Vermain posted:

eagerly awaiting the yandere sim code analysis subgenre of youtubers to not make a video on it since it's an actually successful game

The what

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I said come in! posted:

You would never code like this if anyone but you ever needed to look at this code and understand it, this is the type of code only a solo developer would write. It's very funny.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

man nurse posted:

Is this akin to how people deduced that like the original Mario Party was totally rigged and not actually random luck

Next you'll be telling me the AI rubber bands in Mario Kart

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

um, the yandere sim code analysis subgenre of youtubers? hello?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the woke gamers have cancelled Balatro

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

man nurse posted:

Not really, it's more like if the Mario Party source code checked each AI on each minigame and randomly chose if that one won instead of just directly randomly choosing which AI won.

To be fair the bigger the source code the bigger gain there is in using a switch instead of if/else and also switch is easier to read, but unless it compromises performance badly who cares. Reminds me of a classmate at university who made an entire class project using if/else just because he could.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

in game engines like unity, an interactive game element like a card or a piece of equipment is normally stored as its own separate asset that you edit via an interface, which makes it easy to keep track of them and edit them on the fly and makes the game run more efficiently, because all of its game logic (what the card/item/whatever is supposed to do) is contained in that asset. in this case, the balatro devs have hardcoded every single card so that the game first has to check to see what the card's name is and then tell the game what to do based off of that name

to put it into human terms, it'd be like going to the grocery store's fruit section and seeing all your favorite fruits laid out nicely versus going to the grocery store's fruit section to see that all the fruits are hidden inside individual wooden chests that you need to open to see what's inside

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 23, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
No wonder balatro can't do ray tracing. owned.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that code is going to force an awful lot of unnecessary work if it ever happens that:

-you have to fix a bug
-you want to add a new capability that wasn't anticipated beforehand
-someone else joins the project

A different grocery store analogy would be that rather than having aisles like "produce", "cereal", "baking", etc, your grocery store has unlabeled aisles and each one contains a random selection of items. you *could* shop there if you had already memorized where everything is. but if you want to buy something you have never bought before, good luck

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
are there people legitimately annoyed at the Balatro guy's success over the silly code or is it merely "heh! good for him!"

I recall the Regency Solitaire II devs seeming pretty irritated lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Seems like it doesn't matter to me. Game rules.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

wizard2 posted:

are there people legitimately annoyed at the Balatro guy's success over the silly code or is it merely "heh! good for him!"

I recall the Regency Solitaire II devs seeming pretty irritated lol

there's a couple weirdos doing the usual "Don't. Do. This" kind of replies, but i think most experienced programmers understand that it's A) an indie dev doing their first project who managed to get it out the door, and B) still extremely commendable due to the sheer volume of work you have to do hardcoding all that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It's programmed 'poorly'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRT9E0C3XM

But the game rules, so who loving cares

Yes! balatro is literally one of the best games of 2024.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah there's always some professional jealousy at seeing someone succeed wildly despite ignoring all the advice and skipping all the tedious "proper" ways

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/HelenaEHHansen/status/1782781965885722950

:|

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

The funniest thing about that whole thing was the dev had partnered with TinyBuild (aka the Hello Neighbour devs/publishers) for help with coding and the programmer they had working on it went "what the hell" and rewrote the code to not be spaghetti sauce and the dev then broke partnership with them among multiple things because he couldn't understand the rewritten code.

Keep in mind it was stuff like changing (if variable==false) to (!variable), which are literally the same.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I feel that the Balatro guy should be seen as an inspiration to all coders everwhere with big ideas! :)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm inspired..to play more balatro!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honestly that code terrifies me way less than the palworld devs not knowing what version control is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

Honestly that code terrifies me way less than the palworld devs not knowing what version control is

some people just like to live on the edge and hell, i respect them