Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Anyway Matthews had to send that puck deep, EN or no the Bruins were standing him up at the line and he had teammates with speed

I noticed also when Boston first set up their PP Matthews hung back for a couple of seconds before realizing oh yeah we need to get the puck.

I see why they're so frustrating to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Feels like the Bruins gotta go with Swayman the rest of the way here. He's been the best player for Boston by far.

They both have been good. I say keep the rotation going.

Also, FU Tyler Bertuzzi.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

That whole scoring play was literally just Frederic being bigger than Liljegren, it’s a routine board play except Timmy has no reach

I'm more disappointed by Matthews and Edmundson both coming in to support below the goal line and completely missing the puck than by Liljegren getting a draw on a board battle.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs played well for, arguably, 35 minutes but the predictable factors for the series happened

the predictable factors being that games continue to be longer than 35 minutes even in the post-season

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I noticed also when Boston first set up their PP Matthews hung back for a couple of seconds before realizing oh yeah we need to get the puck.

I see why they're so frustrating to watch.

As lame as it sounds the most consistent criticism you can give the Leafs top guys is that they never really seem to have a sense of occasion, in empty-net scenarios it’s almost like they don’t want the puck

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm more disappointed by Matthews and Edmundson both coming in to support below the goal line and completely missing the puck than by Liljegren getting a draw on a board battle.
There's no reason it should have been a draw, he was easily there first and was hilariously outmuscled in like 2 seconds

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

daslog posted:

They both have been good. I say keep the rotation going.

Also, FU Tyler Bertuzzi.

I agree but Swayman in particular owns the Leafs. He's now 5-0 against them this year, including the regular season. They haven't scored more than 2 on him that entire time. His save percentages in those games are: .943, .970, .966, .972, and tonight was actually his worst game, at a pedestrian .933

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the predictable factors being that games continue to be longer than 35 minutes even in the post-season

Games ebb and flow, but if you’re playing better than the other team for the majority of the game you need more than a goal from it. Boston was always going to have some fight and the Leafs aren’t built to win 1-0

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i forgot how much I love playoff hockey. Nashville-Vancouver was insanely physical last night. Marchment blowing someone up early. these guys are jacked, ready to roll

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's no reason it should have been a draw, he was easily there first and was hilariously outmuscled in like 2 seconds

Matthews and Edmundson are 6'3 and 6'5 and got outworked by 6'1 Heinen while leaving Marchand wide open in the low slot.

Liljegren should have played the puck immediately sure but there's no reason to give everyone else a pass.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Games ebb and flow, but if you’re playing better than the other team for the majority of the game you need more than a goal from it. Boston was always going to have some fight and the Leafs aren’t built to win 1-0

I still think you can see where they're going wrong in this one simple image

One team is playing physical hockey and the other team is just playing physical and kinda forgot that the goal is to score goals and not just bodycheck

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah it feels like the Leafs really lost sight of why they are good (puck control, scoring goals) and try to play physical because it's Boston.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I agree but Swayman in particular owns the Leafs. He's now 5-0 against them this year, including the regular season. They haven't scored more than 2 on him that entire time. His save percentages in those games are: .943, .970, .966, .972, and tonight was actually his worst game, at a pedestrian .933

I understand the argument, but I want to see them make a run and I don't think either goalie will last if they just stick with one guy.

Also, my wife is now a hockey fan and we are going to Game 5 at the Garden.

:bandwagon:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Matthews and Edmundson are 6'3 and 6'5 and got outworked by 6'1 Heinen while leaving Marchand wide open in the low slot.

Liljegren should have played the puck immediately sure but there's no reason to give everyone else a pass.

Yeah fair

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

GO STARS! (gently caress Vegas)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

daslog posted:

I understand the argument, but I want to see them make a run and I don't think either goalie will last if they just stick with one guy.

Also, my wife is now a hockey fan and we are going to Game 5 at the Garden.

:bandwagon:

Sick, you guys will have a blast. One of the best places I've ever seen a hockey game in terms of atmosphere.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I still think you can see where they're going wrong in this one simple image

One team is playing physical hockey and the other team is just playing physical and kinda forgot that the goal is to score goals and not just bodycheck

I know you’re being cute but there’s no actual argument watching that game and looking at the chance count that the Leafs gave up on scoring chances because they were focused on being physical

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Just got back from meeting some fam for dinner and the restaurant we were in was full of stars fans going to the game

I miss going to games

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A pass, no, but it shouldn’t have been a play they have to make to begin with so I also don’t know why you think Liljegren deserves less attention than them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

I know you’re being cute but there’s no actual argument watching that game and looking at the chance count that the Leafs gave up on scoring chances because they were focused on being physical

I am absolutely suggesting that every post-season they abandon the style of play that makes them successful in the regular season for the sake of chasing some vision of what they consider playoff hockey to be
one game it's an aberration but years in a row you can tell it's just a thing that the room believes and it's never going to work for this team no matter how many Bertuzzis or Reaveses they add

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goilers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

A pass, no, but it shouldn’t have been a play they have to make to begin with so I also don’t know why you think Liljegren deserves less attention than them

I think being a bit slow to a loose puck and ending up boxing out your guy against the boards while unable to play the puck because your stick is tied up is less egregious of an error than double teaming a guy and still failing to stop the pass to the other guy you left wide open as a result.

I am absolutely suggesting that every post-season they abandon the style of play that makes them successful in the regular season

They lost like 8 regular season games against the Bruins in a row, so. Also were decidely average against the East in general.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I am absolutely suggesting that every post-season they abandon the style of play that makes them successful in the regular season for the sake of chasing some vision of what they consider playoff hockey to be
one game it's an aberration but years in a row you can tell it's just a thing that the room believes and it's never going to work for this team no matter how many Bertuzzis or Reaveses they add

I know what you’re referencing but this isn’t the Kadri suspensions or Kyle Clifford being a moron or whatever other historical events happening, like I just really don’t see the parallel in this particular game. The Leafs had a ton of chances, Matthews got his looks, Bertuzzi could have had multiple, Domi was probably shooting the puck too much and Matthews is the best retrieval guy they have so he’s gonna finish his checks.

Anyway breakdowns happen and good players make plays, the only way the Leafs are gonna win is if they can score their share of those plus enough to cover Samsonov’s mistakes and tonight they, predictably, didn’t push through despite tipping the balance. They need a healthy Nylander back in the worst way.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I was hoping to see something out of the Stars for this period that showed that there might be a different result for this series but so far there's been nothing. Vegas is so much better than them over the 200 feet. Completely toothless Dallas attack combined with shaky goaltending and the Stars have no chance.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Roboooooo

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
lol lmao oilers

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

yay, good job Stars!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

that's a good break...hopefully the Stars can build on that momentum

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I was hoping to see something out of the Stars for this period that showed that there might be a different result for this series but so far there's been nothing. Vegas is so much better than them over the 200 feet. Completely toothless Dallas attack combined with shaky goaltending and the Stars have no chance.

theres something

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Brutal

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

🚨 🚨 🚨 Domi arigato 🚨 🚨 🚨

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Well there goes that momentum

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

poo poo

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
bro dallas come on lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ryan Suter, the worst contract we've signed in a long while

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I would say that period was a win for Vegas. Dallas just hasn't found the level they needed for this one yet.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
kings winning this game 1-0

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas got this. Gonna come out strong in the 2nd and win this poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Now if it had been Suter that got the penalty instead of Miro, I'd feel a lot better about our 4 on 4 chances.

He's slow and can't really stop anyone other than another slow meat head. He was a diamond against the Wild last year, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Starsfan posted:

Lessail? Is that you? You moved to Texas?