Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Just marry a rich older lady or a lonely bespectacled accountant or something, it's a cspam tradition

like him or hate him, being a taintrunner is the new aspirational american dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

Just marry a rich older lady or a lonely bespectacled accountant or something, it's a cspam tradition

I would prefer not to.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mawarannahr posted:

they come in plastic trays with plastic film on top. hope you're getting your rear end inspected all the time.

only the plastic film remains now. the current tray I don’t think is plastic anymore?

but yes I am due for a colonoscopy at my next physical.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would prefer not to.
this is why bartley died poor and homeless: he was a volcel who refused become rich wife guy. any american who is poor is simply poor by choice

anyways lol at the yen
https://twitter.com/DBNewswire/status/1783298556394197268

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol get hosed germany, you stupid fucks. bet they wish they didn't shut down 98% of their nuclear industry in favor of more gas and "biofuel" (aka deforesting trees in canada and brasil and shipping them across the planet to burn)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1783131151462187278

lol that every currency is crashing against the USD

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

Scarabrae posted:

I’ll never be able to afford to move anywhere lmao

I listened to goon advice the summer of 21 , where common thread wisdom was that if someone did not buy a house now they would be locked out of home ownership forever . I’m now likely stuck in this house forever cause we can’t afford to move anywhere else.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

any hot and/or close to death cougaresses looking to take on a listless twink? dms open

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Xaris posted:

lol get hosed germany, you stupid fucks. bet they wish they didn't shut down 98% of their nuclear industry in favor of more gas and "biofuel" (aka deforesting trees in canada and brasil and shipping them across the planet to burn)

lol when japan is head of pack in your groups growth, you know the entire system is on life support

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This striver bullshit stuff drives me crazy. Who is it for?

This genre of video is only funny when, say, a recruiter at Google gets laid off and the twitter rant can be placed side by side with the sushi bar grindset videos. Otherwise, I am really struggling to understand why they make them, who they're for, why they apparently experience the world through LinkedIn.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shrike82 posted:

This is by design and I am not remotely joking or exaggerating. For the same reason is why most commodities are loving skyrocketing right now.

The administration has fully captured the Federal Reserve and they are furiously buying as many American treasuries as possible while crushing VIX, which has had the knock-on effect of loving with foreign currencies and globally-traded commodities. Pull up the charts for these and compare them side-by-side, it's clear as day. It's why Japan and South Korea are suddenly scrambling to try to peg their currencies, it's why USD/MXN is gyrating wildly, it's why /GC Is stratosphering, etc.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

can you grant me access to the datas

If you don't have a security clearance just get a War Thunder account.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

with double payments, a 20% down payment, and a typical home price for San Diego hes probably paying in the range of $10,000-$12,000 per month

$50k+ a year in interest payments is what you’re saying?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Vox Nihili posted:

Brown. "I say, old man, who's that very plain elderly lady you were walking with—now sitting here?"
Smith (the impecunious, who has married money). "Oh, that's my wife."
Brown. "Your wife! But"—(lowering his voice)—"She has only one eye—and so awfully—I beg your pardon—but——"
Smith (pleasantly). "You needn't whisper, old man. She's deaf"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

uhhh yeah, I’m thinking we’re back

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This genre of video is only funny when, say, a recruiter at Google gets laid off and the twitter rant can be placed side by side with the sushi bar grindset videos. Otherwise, I am really struggling to understand why they make them, who they're for, why they apparently experience the world through LinkedIn.

This is what happens when people with imposter syndrome aren't just firmly told "yup, your intuition is correct--this is all bullshit and your station in life is unearned and artificial lol"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I watched that whole video waiting for a punchline because I was absolutely convinced it was a parody of this poo poo and the slow, awkward laptop pull and office lunch walk of shame just reinforced that the joke was coming any second.

But no. This is a real person. What the gently caress.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think these are mostly fake. call it ragebait, retweets, "engagement", attention seeking, whatever. it works though (see everyone reposting them)

it's like that puppetmaster "hey guys look at me i'm retarded", "haha but i was only kidding!" meme

but who knows, maybe im wrong

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Xaris posted:

I think these are mostly fake. call it ragebait, retweets, "engagement", attention seeking, whatever. it works though (see everyone reposting them)

it's like that puppetmaster "hey guys look at me i'm retarded", "haha but i was only kidding!" meme

It's passing strange but some employers want LinkedIn cred and are hesitant to hire anyone without it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1783131151462187278

it’s a hilarious trap the fed is in. the fed and the entire goddamn financial world wants them to cut rates but they can’t because the high rates are the only tool the US government is willing to use to curb inflation

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

the popes toes posted:

It's passing strange but some employers want LinkedIn cred and are hesitant to hire anyone without it.

i mean if they're posting to linkedin, absolutely its sycophant stuff. the tiktok pinterestagramtube shorts, i dunno, i think they're mostly just attention seeking ragebait

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is by design and I am not remotely joking or exaggerating. For the same reason is why most commodities are loving skyrocketing right now.

The administration has fully captured the Federal Reserve and they are furiously buying as many American treasuries as possible while crushing VIX, which has had the knock-on effect of loving with foreign currencies and globally-traded commodities. Pull up the charts for these and compare them side-by-side, it's clear as day. It's why Japan and South Korea are suddenly scrambling to try to peg their currencies, it's why USD/MXN is gyrating wildly, it's why /GC Is stratosphering, etc.

There is an actual term for this and I remember watching a video about it a couple years ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the popes toes posted:

I don't think that's really true, although maybe for recruiting agencies or something similarly perverse

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

I dunno if "fake" is really the right word for this kind of stuff

It's attention seeking but there are a million ways to seek attention on these platforms and it's still a certain kind of person who chooses to do it this way

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s a hilarious trap the fed is in. the fed and the entire goddamn financial world wants them to cut rates but they can’t because the high rates are the only tool the US government is willing to use to curb inflation

It's funny that we think of the current state being the culmination of all previous forms of human governance, but probably the first thing the first state did was levy taxes, that was the absolute baseline, last to fail, function of every civilization since, and yet, it's unimaginable now.

You might have to explain it to them in terms of sheep and barley, but the rules of Samaria could likely deal with this problem better than the US - debt forgiveness, redistribution, levy taxes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Biden destroying the global financial system for... whatever reason this is... on par with decision making lately, but I'm not sure I fully follow. Why is helping Biden's poll numbers (???) worth risking the whole thing to the career people at the Fed?

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

As unbelievably pathetic as that video was, a 9-5 that pays the rent is an impossible dream to a lot of people under 40, even those who graduated college. That man’s whole existence is predicated on the privilege afforded to him having found a decent job straight out of college and failing upwards ever since despite his sincere attempts to derail his career. It’s a flex by an enormous piece of poo poo.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Death of Innocence posted:

As unbelievably pathetic as that video was, a 9-5 that pays the rent is an impossible dream to a lot of people under 40, even those who graduated college. That man’s whole existence is predicated on the privilege afforded to him having found a decent job straight out of college and failing upwards ever since despite his sincere attempts to derail his career. It’s a flex by an enormous piece of poo poo.

The leave of absence to be a videographer was kind of puzzling tbh.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

When I went into the office for my job I made food the night before or the morning of for lunch instead of frozen over-salted garbage.

just lol if u dont drive 30 minutes out of your way to spend 1 hour eating out then come back, take a 45 minute dump and walk out 15 minutes later at 3PM

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

I dunno if "fake" is really the right word for this kind of stuff

It's attention seeking but there are a million ways to seek attention on these platforms and it's still a certain kind of person who chooses to do it this way
Ehhh i'm not about to install a social media app to find out and go through everyones posting history to see how dark-played-straight satire things are, but my impression is that it works well enough for attention seeking considering people posting videos of someone being like "so heey guys i just took out another $100k truck loan and oh em gee look at my expenses wow i'm up to my eyeballs in debt. anyways any advice? thinkin about buying a truck-sized candle and forgoing baby formula this month. like n subscribe o-kay byeeee".

these things also come in trends (e.g. youtube exaggerated This NEW mcdonalds schezuan sauce is the WORST ever! / top 10 BEST EVER funkpops you can't live without / watch my son REACT to SONIC! *soyface thumbnail*) so it could be just the latest trend that's going around like a viral novel corona virus

but again, could be utterly wrong [if i'm wrong dont correct me. i'd prefer to be ignorant and believe its purely ragebait trend]

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Morbus posted:

just lol if u dont drive 30 minutes out of your way to spend 1 hour eating out then come back, take a 45 minute dump and walk out 15 minutes later at 3PM

Around here we call that The Italian Lunch. Except lunch is two hours and even the boss goes with you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Morbus posted:

I decided I was tired of working at 3:45 PM and walked to the beer store to buy some beer, which I started drinking at 4:25 PM. Not a bad Wednesday.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Vox Nihili posted:

Xaris posted:

like him or hate him, being a taintrunner is the new aspirational american dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would prefer not to.

For every lonely rich older bespectacled lady accountant you refuse to marry, I will seduce three.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

jfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4hJflDMXc

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Xaris posted:

Ehhh i'm not about to install a social media app to find out and go through everyones posting history to see how dark-played-straight satire things are, but my impression is that it works well enough for attention seeking considering people posting videos of someone being like "so heey guys i just took out another $100k truck loan and oh em gee look at my expenses wow i'm up to my eyeballs in debt. anyways any advice? thinkin about buying a truck-sized candle and forgoing baby formula this month. like n subscribe o-kay byeeee".

these things also come in trends (e.g. youtube exaggerated This NEW mcdonalds schezuan sauce is the WORST ever! / top 10 BEST EVER funkpops you can't live without / watch my son REACT to SONIC! *soyface thumbnail*) so it could be just the latest trend that's going around like a viral novel corona virus

but again, could be utterly wrong [if i'm wrong dont correct me. i'd prefer to be ignorant and believe its purely ragebait trend]

there's tons of these random rear end white bros on instagram who all have huge followings posting about their mundane lives as consultants or whatever fake email job their dad got them. everything revolves around going to work, making dinner with zero seasoning, and watching the kind of tv you'd put on at 3pm to take a nap after a bender. completely mind boggling that they have hundreds of thousands of followers

https://i.imgur.com/xJCZd96.mp4

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Vox Nihili posted:

with double payments, a 20% down payment, and a typical home price for San Diego hes probably paying in the range of $10,000-$12,000 per month

Maybe they mean bi-monthly?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stability is a fantasy for drat near most Americans born this side of Reagan. of course Corporate Success Guy influencers have a ton of followers peering wistfully into what it must feel like to be able to pay for insulin and laundry detergent in the same week

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the thing about "this is a soulless corporate job with the spiritual consistency of boiled goose" is that it looks pretty drat nice if the alternatives are living out of your car or Asmongold's bedroom

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

You're talking about something that's been on my mind a lot and ruins "the show" for a lot of social media. I think there are layers upon layers where everyone with a social media presence is desperately seeking attention but the rub is finding out how they think they'll get your attention.

Are you doing a complex wrestling heel routine? An ironic parody of the worst person you know? Or are you truly neutral and playing as whatever the audience (algorithm-promoted) wants right now?

poop

Potato Salad posted:

stability is a fantasy for drat near most Americans born this side of Reagan. of course Corporate Success Guy influencers have a ton of followers peering wistfully into what it must feel like to be able to pay for insulin and laundry detergent in the same week
This tracks. I've heard people say TV's Doug was appealing because in its white bread way because it portrays a stable, boring life to kids whose home-life was chaotic.

Knight has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Apr 25, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

there's tons of these random rear end white bros on instagram who all have huge followings posting about their mundane lives as consultants or whatever fake email job their dad got them. everything revolves around going to work, making dinner with zero seasoning, and watching the kind of tv you'd put on at 3pm to take a nap after a bender. completely mind boggling that they have hundreds of thousands of followers

https://i.imgur.com/xJCZd96.mp4

I'm the Subway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Potato Salad posted:

I might be assuming too much but I’m gunna mostly go out on a limb and say that most* people subscribing the boring NY banker guy on pinterestagrams are not living out of a mobile home with an antenna tv choosing between if they can afford cat food or insulin this month

while I have no idea what the median income is of the average Social Media Addicted Consumer is, i'm going to guess it's on the marginally higher percentile tiers than the lowest percentile tiers, not saying the average social media consumer is rich, but what I'm saying is I'd wager there is relative few bottom-rung of the percentile groups consuming it.

e: as another point I'd also say: look at the prevalence of all the Fast Food Review / fast vs frozen vs fancy food comparison / BEST new aldi/costco foods videos that dominant YouTube and stuff is not because people can't afford fast food (even poor people will buy fast food still). Seriously so there's os much fast food review or fast food championships or frozen food championships or whatever. Everytime taco bell or mcdonalds releases a new snackaroo, there's about 50 bazillion videos that spring up within 24 hours. Rather it's actually worse than that: they can't afford** friends or human companionship. A lot of social media is essentially a sickening social voyeurism. i hate teh word 'parasocial relationship' but it's sort of that -- friendship-by-proxy consumption.

i kind of wish david-foster-wallace was still alive because I think he'd be the perfect guy to write about social media voyeurism

** not necessarily in the monetary sense of the word

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Apr 25, 2024