Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

VOTE1 posted:

Just realised the Canucks AHL team is playing tonight as well, the third game in a best of three series… with the franchises 5th goalie in net who I assume is normally a ECHL guy.

They were carrying three goalies, which isn't insanely unusual for ahl teams for exactly this reason. But still not a great situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSbCdnEyrE

I legit want to know.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

love my team full of emotionally unstable psychos who all seem to hate each other on the ice but hate people that don’t buy in to this insane mindset even more (bullying Ryan Johansson into never playing again)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
EAT poo poo NASHVILLE

Probably deep-friend, I'm guessing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Might have to throw this out if EP40 does nothing the rest of this season

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Three playoff wins by different goalies has to be a first huh?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

.Spec posted:

Why stop at three?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Someone earlier in the thread made a comment about coaches hating Nyquist, it’s understandable

https://x.com/canucksarmy/status/1784737065684586645?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So McDavid gets to potentially face a third string goalie in round two? Yikes

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Ginette Reno posted:

So Kempe gets to potentially face a third string goalie in round two? Yikes

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Whoa whoa, let's not tempt fate. We could be down to the 4th or 5th by then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ginette Reno posted:

Goalie? I'm thinking Zamboni driver.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Madkal posted:

Goalie? I'm thinking Zamboni driver.

Yeah until he gets injured, then they call in the 42 year old accountant who plays in a men's beer league whenever he gets the chance.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The plus side for the Canucks is that Eddie Lack and to a lesser extent Luongo seem fairly engaged with the team on Twitter so when we get past 4 goalies we still have options.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wippersnapper posted:

The plus side for the Canucks is that Eddie Lack and to a lesser extent Luongo seem fairly engaged with the team on Twitter so when we get past 4 goalies we still have options.

I mean Sawchenko won 2 out 3 in Abbotsford so there's an option.

I'd suggest any Vancouver goons that can skate just be on alert anyways, though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

.Spec posted:

Last time it was done in a series was the 2004 Canucks against the Flames. Auld, Hedberg, and Cloutier.

According to a Sportsnet Stats tweet I just saw.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

NHL Youtube really trying to pop off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

I mean Sawchenko won 2 out 3 in Abbotsford so there's an option.

I'd suggest any Vancouver goons that can skate just be on alert anyways, though.

I once played goalie in floor hockey. All I am saying is if they tie me up to the posts like Goldberg in Mighty Ducks I can be their goalie.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

.Spec posted:

That year the flyers made the finals they had like 19 goalies play

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol Caps

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Even the Flyers would have done better

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Even the Flyers would have done better

lol dream on

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

For a team that was selling at the deadline, you sure did make the playoffs Washington.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
ggs Caps. Lapierre looked good, Fehervary looked good, Alexeev looked good. You already know all this but yeah: time for a deep rebuild. I doubt Ted will trade Wilson but you might have missed your window last year. Someone still might be willing to take that deal at some point. Carlson too could be a big piece on a team if you ate some of his salary the next couple of years. Oshie could maybe a get a mid-round pick next year. Nic Dowd too of course. Aside from that, best of luck but not too much luck because of course I don't want high picks coming into the division.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

ggs Caps. Lapierre looked good, Fehervary looked good, Alexeev looked good. You already know all this but yeah: time for a deep rebuild. I doubt Ted will trade Wilson but you might have missed your window last year. Someone still might be willing to take that deal at some point. Carlson too could be a big piece on a team if you ate some of his salary the next couple of years. Oshie could maybe a get a mid-round pick next year. Nic Dowd too of course. Aside from that, best of luck but not too much luck because of course I don't want high picks coming into the division.

None of this is gonna happen as long as the GR8 chase continues…

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Madkal posted:

I once played goalie in floor hockey. All I am saying is if they tie me up to the posts like Goldberg in Mighty Ducks I can be their goalie.

I mean Burrows was good and he played ball hockey

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

None of this is gonna happen as long as the GR8 chase continues…

I mean, that actually works to their advantage at this point if they're smart! They have an in-built excuse to go in the tank, sign a bunch of power-play guys, and just draw out the Ovechkin chase over two seasons for season ticket renewal reasons. I think Ovechkin going 25-20 over the next couple of seasons is highly likely. They just need like one line for him to feed him. Hell, sign Julien Gauthier and Tyler Motte and a bunch of guys who draw penalties. Klingberg would be perfect for them--good on the PP so he can feed Ovechkin, disastrous at even-strength to guarantee them a high pick.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

But I was told the Rangers should be t-t-t-terrified of Tom Wilson and the Caps. Oh well.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm very interested in the Rangers-Hurricanes series. On paper I like Carolina the most in the Metro especially now that they have Guentzel but I feel like the Rangers are a bad matchup for the Hurricanes for whatever reason. But Carolina is a complete 180 from the type of team Washington is so I wonder if there will be a big adjustment period for the Rangers.

Should be fun. Congrats RAS!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm interested in the Rangers-Hurricanes series. On paper I like Carolina the most in the Metro especially now that they have Guentzel but I feel like the Rangers are a bad matchup for the Hurricanes for whatever reason.

Should be fun. Congrats RAS!

My theory on this is that there is a spectrum that all coaches/teams operate, from "let's try to get the game so that it's being played our way" to "let's totally adjust what we're doing to neutralize the other team's strengths". Most coaches hew pretty close to the former, which can be really effective. Gallant was like this. Sutter's Kings were some of the best I've seen at this. They didn't really care what the other team did, they just wanted to get the game going so that the flow of it looked like they wanted. It's pretty simple--implement your system and then motivate the hell out of the players to execute it. If you're not executing it, then you're not motivating hard enough.

Rod seems very much like a Sutter/Gallant, and to his credit he's had a ton of success with it because the way the Canes play--lots of attempts, lots of very aggressive checking--is generally the meta in the NHL if you have the roster to do it. It's an "easy" way to win because you can plug guys pretty easily into it with good success.

I think the reason the Rangers have been a good matchup for it is that those types of teams run into issues when they're playing against a team with a ton of skill and specifically processing speed. The current incarnation of the Rangers are one of the strongest processing/passing teams I've ever personally seen. What that means when they play the Hurricanes is that when the Hurricanes sell out to pressure and tightly check the Rangers, they're able to more regularly make high-skill plays to hit the open man.

Like, Boston is obviously a very good team. But Carolina matches up against them better IMO because Pastrnak can beat their attack, Marchand, McAvoy, and maybe a couple of others. They're going to look better and be able to pressure Carolina themselves more due to their style, but they don't have a lot of super-high-skill guys that can create the kind of high-danger chances that neutralize a high-pressure attack and start making the attackers nervous. With NY, you have Panarin, Trocheck, Lafreniere, Zibanejad, Kreider, Fox, Gustafsson, and even guys like Kakko and Chytil (if he plays).

And this extends to how Carolina attacks, too. Shesterkin is really good at straight up shots, but not so good when teams just hold the puck until low and slam it across the crease. Sullivan did that really well, and IIRC the Lightning started doing that bit more after the first couple of games in the series. Rod's solution to this was just seemingly "more of the same" which isn't ideal, especially since it seemed to cause a lot of confidence issues for Carolina in the last series as it kept not working consistently.

Having said all that, Carolina has Burns and Guentzel now, which are excellent pickups for them since the last series. Guentzel in particular can bring some of the stuff over that made the Pens punch above their weight against the Rangers, but he's also just a great scorer. If Carolina gets through NYI, should be a great series.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers have kind of played to the level of their opponents a lot this year. Great games against top teams, blah games against middling teams

I think they’ll be sharper against (presumably) Carolina and this series isn’t an indication of how they’ll play.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Someone earlier in the thread made a comment about coaches hating Nyquist, it’s understandable

Pretty sure it was actually me in the GDT but yes, Nyquist is the epitome of an analytics darling that every coach loving despises

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Stuart Skinner!!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The last time only 1 goal was scored in a game involving the Oilers was May 21, 2021 when they lost to Winnipeg 1-0.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1784813139361415514

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1784685165236654321

:thunk:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Matthews got one of those 18th century diseases that only 1 in a million people get per decade.

Non-edit: stoneman syndrome

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

The last time only 1 goal was scored in a game involving the Oilers was May 21, 2021 when they lost to Winnipeg 1-0.

Out of everything that’s happened so far in the first round the thing I’d least suspect is the Edmonton Oilers winning a game 1-0

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TJ Oshie lingered on the ice and waved at the crowd for a bit before as the last skater off after the loss. Taking it all in, probably a sign he’s going to retire hopefully. He was playing with a broken hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

lol dream on

I'd believe that, they might have at least pretended to care