Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think Billy has done a pretty good job choosing people to tour with. I loved the 07 an 08 tours, but I also liked the music he was releasing then, and think the band sounds fine when I hear stuff now, the lyrics and mixing are just really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, don't do this to me.... I can't again.

You know, if Oceania hadn't been good, great even, I would've lost hope long ago.

But goddammit, it was so much better than Zeitgeist and the teargarden stuff (though Superchrist sounds, to me, like it was right out of Pastichio Medley).

Can that happen again?

Seriously doubt it. If ATUM was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Mellon Collie or whatever the gently caress Billy claimed it would be, he was either playing the heel as he so loves to do or the band as we used to know them is cooked and lost to Billy's synthsoaked space whimsies, and future album listens, at least for me, will be done out of pessimistic masochism rather than fragile optimism.

Like, this band gave us Gish and Siamese Dream. Surely there's some of that energy left somewhere in there, right? But I ain't holding my breath anymore.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Framboise posted:

Like, this band gave us Gish and Siamese Dream. Surely there's some of that energy left somewhere in there, right?

lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kingo Ligma posted:

Oceania is substantially closer to Siamese Dream than present day sorry.

:thunk:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if you want a modern day siamese dream just listen to the new meatbodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6GOgQMvDM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

polyester concept posted:

Holy poo poo.

I need more of this. Thank you!

Though it's missing Jimmy's distinctive drumming. Is there another track by them that has any of that?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

God, that's like a full on Greta Van Fleet style parody.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't understand this reference. I know who Greta van fleet are and don't really like them. What I do like is that SD/Pisces Iscariot sound.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It’s very unapologetic yes. But it still sounds nice

To be fair the rest of the album mixes it up, but still keeps it pretty rooted in heavy psych

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand this reference.

They sound like led zeppelin a little too much

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
inspiration vs derivativenessage

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jcjKP2ltU

I think it was someone else itt that had an issue with Rick Beato, and I haven't seen enough of his interviews to be able to agree or disagree with anything that was said, but I'll absolutely be watching this when I can. Jimmy is one of my musical idols, and there have been short youtube clips posted over the past week from this session. Watching him play along to Jellybelly is :kiss:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Beato's an annoying dork but he's extremely harmless.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Announcing the new member of your band and then updating your band photo without them is a very Billy thing to do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She's just a touring member, like Jack. Jack ain't in that picture either.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
That Jimmy interview is sick but I can't help but feel the bit about Billy realising that Jimmy being awesome was integral to the Pumpkins sound was just Lucy sticking out a football for me.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Baron von Eevl posted:

She's just a touring member, like Jack. Jack ain't in that picture either.

He's busy batin'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kingo Ligma posted:

That Jimmy interview is sick but I can't help but feel the bit about Billy realising that Jimmy being awesome was integral to the Pumpkins sound was just Lucy sticking out a football for me.

Especially for me since it felt like Jimmy was contributing a lot to the stuff they were doing in the late aughts and I am the rare person who liked Zeitgeist and then stuff like Gossamer.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

The Jimmy interview really reminds me of the overused quote "You're only as good as your drummer". Fantastic interview. So much fun to hear Jimmy go on and on about drumming. You can tell he loves it, and is a true music nerd.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess one of those releases Billy was working on was a collection of Pumpkins radio appearances and unreleased Starchildren tracks.

https://madamezuzus.com/products/xx...EGgLXheWKQUNyFq

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MassRafTer posted:

I guess one of those releases Billy was working on was a collection of Pumpkins radio appearances and unreleased Starchildren tracks.

https://madamezuzus.com/products/xx...EGgLXheWKQUNyFq

90 bucks? Christ Billy! How good do you think this poo poo is?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Running a teahouse is expensive okay? Billy needs the money for tea and wrestlers, often at the same time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vegan meatball subs are barely enough to keep the lights on

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
look as someone who has recently gotten really into tea I'd be more than happy to help keep a good teahouse open since we don't loving have any in my area

don't want no vegan meatball sub tho

edit: looking on Madame ZuZu's site, I found this: https://madamezuzus.com/products/xxx

This is genuinely kinda cool, but not something I'm about to throw $85 + tax and shipping at. An official vinyl release of super early Pumpkins tracks.

quote:

TRACKLIST

Side A:

There It Goes (Live on WNUR 1988)
My Eternity (Live on WNUR 1988)
Interview (Live on WNUR 1988)
Venus In Furs (Live on WZRD 1989)
Snap (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side B:

East (Live on WZRD 1989)
Cinnamon Girl (Live on WZRD 1989)
Nothing And Everything (Live on WZRD 1989)
Under Your Spell (Live on WZRD 1989)
Rhinoceros (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side C:

Death of A Mind (Live on WZRD 1989)
Spiteface (Live on WZRD 1989)
Interview (Live on WZRD 1989)
There It Goes (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side D:

Starchildren-Past Midnight
Starchildren-Faeding
Starchildren-Lolly
Starchildren-Reasons To Shine
Starchildren-Blue Light

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 14, 2024

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

look as someone who has recently gotten really into tea I'd be more than happy to help keep a good teahouse open since we don't loving have any in my area

don't want no vegan meatball sub tho

edit: looking on Madame ZuZu's site, I found this: https://madamezuzus.com/products/xxx

This is genuinely kinda cool, but not something I'm about to throw $85 + tax and shipping at. An official vinyl release of super early Pumpkins tracks.

I love that super early stuff and am still bad with money and may have one of these coming, will report back when it comes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Leave it to Billy to allegedly refuse modern western medicine since the early 2000's (jfc, he has kids now :gonk: :wtc:) and yet be 100% all-in on fake wrestling bullshit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Early Pumpkins on vinyl is extremely My poo poo but get the gently caress outta here with that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

polyester concept posted:

oh look cherub rock and MBV's only shallow had a baby

also this is very good