Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually gently caress that. Ever seen THIS IS NOT A TEST (1962)?

i have seen neither! worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're looking for "sub 90 TZ eps", absolutely. FIVE is written and directed by Arch Oboler of LIGHTS OUT fame, one of the primary inspirations for TZ.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually gently caress that. Ever seen THIS IS NOT A TEST (1962)?

Is that question some kind of test?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Was browsing a book of political anecdotes and am sort of stunned there hasn't been a recent adaptation of Benjamin Disraeli's and/or Gladstone's lives. I mean read this: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Disraeli-Gladstone-Great-Rivalry-Debates/

Which doesn't even get into the weird quartet Disraeli was involved in with a husband and wife + another married woman. Or that he then wrote a bunch of novels about one of them. He was witty but his politics were evil - Gladstone, one of his main political rivals, was from a slave owning family but would eventually at least partially repudiate slavery, and had his own hangups.

I mean check the beginning of this piece on Gladstone:

And this from (one of?) Disraeli's mistresses to him

I feel like there's a lot for someone talented to work with! I found this which I'll watch if it's somewhere but suspect it's pretty bad given the topics and the production year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shout is releasing UHF on UHD in July and man that's perfectly timed to christen the new 4K player/PS5 I got.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Somehow had made it to the age of 39 without seeing The Crucible. Alas, it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Never thought I would see DDL turn in a bad performance.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Crucible is a movie that showcases a lot of faces you just don't see these days

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has a kid ever won an Oscar. Why not

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jay Rust posted:

Tatum O'Neal is the youngest Oscar winner, 10 years old when she won Best Supporting Actress for Paper Moon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

No, Goats don't meet the requirements to qualify for consideration no matter how good their performance is.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also Anna Paquin won for The Piano at age 11

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I just saw CHALLENGERS. Great movie. Anywhere I should be talking about it or just here?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there actually anything in the rule book that says a dog CANT win an Oscar?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

DoctorWhat posted:

I just saw CHALLENGERS. Great movie. Anywhere I should be talking about it or just here?

There's no specific thread for it, I think people have just been discussing it in here. I've just seen it for the second time and shared some more thoughts in the NIN thread in NMD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

Is there actually anything in the rule book that says a dog CANT win an Oscar?

I sorta agree with Kelsey Grammar when the subject of "dog actor" comes up.

It's not acting, it's doing tricks.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm bummed no one caught on to City Hunter (2024)

Anyways, I decided to watch the Miami Vice film after thinking "Hmmm, it's been a while since that came out, probably bit less than ten yea.... Miami Vice (2006). gently caress me. Anyways, supposedly it's some sort of cult classic now? It was surprisingly decent. Some of it must be distance from the era by now. Apparently the dialogue was difficult to hear back in the day, but I watched it with headphones and closed captions since I'm not a native speaker. Honestly the audio recording seemed kinda faithful to the original or what I remember of it.

I should watch the actual series though, I just caught some glimpses of it in the 00's and 90's when I was a kid. Kinda wish there was a revival but I don't think Florida/Miami works anymore because of how... politics and everything is these days. Hell, same could be said for GTA 6, seems almost callous to have it take place in that hellhole. (No offence to any resident FL goons, I guess) Definitely enjoy the 80's/Florida vibes in the original. Very much vibes based show, I guess. Wish there was something similar in film/TV/vidygames.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything modern Florida is the perfect place for a GTA.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Talk about it in the Challengers thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The original series is a loving banger with an insane amount of guest stars that would become huge movie stars.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The film is transcendent

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dessel posted:

I should watch the actual [Miami Vice] series though, I just caught some glimpses of it in the 00's and 90's when I was a kid.

Beware that it’s from a different era of 20+ episode seasons with some shameless filler.

I watched up until he gets the Testarossa in the first few episodes of S3 and feel quite happy to leave it there. There was a radical wardrobe change in S3 where the pastels were out and these hideous dull greens & yellows were in. That’s a problem when so much substance of the show was the style.

Some banger episodes in the first two seasons although it takes a few episodes to really hit its stride and there are weak spots along the way. I’ve heard it gets really goofy in the later seasons (I think there’s aliens in one episode?) so I decided to stop when I felt a decline. The Testarossa introduction felt very sponsored; Ferrari was apparently peeved about the kit-car fake they used in the first two seasons so they gave them a few of their hot new model as blatant product placement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watched and enjoyed Fallout. Other than Hell Comes to Frogtown, Alien from LA, and Radioactive Dreams, what are some other post-apocalyptic that go hard on goofy satire and/or mutants with decent world building?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Watched and enjoyed Fallout. Other than Hell Comes to Frogtown, Alien from LA, and Radioactive Dreams, what are some other post-apocalyptic that go hard on goofy satire and/or mutants with decent world building?

A Boy and His Dog
The Bed-Sitting Room

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/pathe_baby/status/1784659366278311964

https://x.com/pathe_baby/status/1785055408702279948

Holy poo poo

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Tank Girl, Night of the Comet, maybe Escape From LA?

Meet the Hollowheads might count as post-apocalyptic, I think.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Six string Samurai maybe!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
a boy and his dog
cherry 2000

Duckwaffle posted:

Six string Samurai maybe!

Those poor bowlers

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

feedmyleg posted:

The Salute of the Jugger is one I don't hear discussed much.

And if you can take a bit of fairly modern tongue in cheek, often silly pastiche stuff, I remember Turbo Kid being pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Doomsday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I sorta agree with Kelsey Grammar when the subject of "dog actor" comes up.

It's not acting, it's doing tricks.

what's the difference

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alhazred posted:

Doomsday.

Good call. Would it be stetching things to say Dredd?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. Dredd is more dystopian than apocalyptic.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Disco Pope posted:

The Salute of the Jugger is one I don't hear discussed much.

AKA The Blood of Heroes. Not many post apocalyptic sports movies out there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

david_a posted:

AKA The Blood of Heroes. Not many post apocalyptic sports movies out there

But do make sure to get the Salute of the Jugger version. When it was released under the title Blood of Heroes they also cut a few minutes off the end.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. Dredd is more dystopian than apocalyptic.

Yeah, I suppose there are mutants and wastelands and stuff in the source material, but not really in the movie at all.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, I suppose there are mutants and wastelands and stuff in the source material, but not really in the movie at all.

Which is pretty weird considering it filmed in South Africa

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I knew South Africa had it's share of social problems but I didn't know mutants were one of them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785302969103061132?t=S1KmpMA_-cyugSSxWVEDjg&s=19

https://www.thewrap.com/dwayne-johnson-red-one-late-budget-problems/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Rock seems like such a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

On one hand, he's an insufferable dork and I hope the bubble of pretending he's an actor worth casting bursts.

On the other hand, blowing a bunch of Netflix's money on nothing is always funny.