Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's gotta be the first one, the second one would be way too much of a hassle to put on with her wings. You'd have to put them through special little holes cut into the sides EVERY TIME and it would be so annoying.

But we already saw how Falin wears a shirt. If she wore pants like in image one, she would have a good size portion of her body exposed that might get chilly when it’s cold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pants on the scaled part.

ed: good lord theres a Falin cosplayer now doing her from the latest ep.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 30, 2024

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
How much meat did they have to buy to complete that cosplay?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
[quote="Arc Hammer" post="539236787"]
https://twitter.com/radiantraptor/status/1784989232832057703?t=2iK5QF76JBQ3r1affKcVvA&s=19

I don't know about 1, Falin does not strike me as someone who would leave such a huge portion of her midriff bare.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Begemot posted:

I think it helps that none of them fawn over him or even seem to like him besides Maizuru. The others are acting like they're just doing their day job (or having fun hitting things with a club).

One of the side comics revealed that one of the ninjas, Hien, is in fact into him, but has pretty much given up after learning that he is down bad for some white woman.

Rest of them aren’t interested in him at all.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something I appreciate from this episode is that while you can think of chimera Falin as endgame boss material, it doesn't do the thing other anime do where the enemy is invincible. Daya and Kuro did a bit of damage with their attacks, Holm's familiar, Marillier, punched through her wings a few times, Kabru's attack would be fatal on a regular person, Laios stabbed between the vulnerable part between your toes, and Rin's lightning magic seriously hosed her up. The damage added up and that's what drove her off. It's just refreshing to have everyone's efforts pay off and they didn't have to be bailed out by more traditional shonen trappings, like some mysterious stranger saving them or one person getting an inexplicable power boost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just like a good recipe its all the ingredients working together to make satisfying result.

what do you mean this story has themes

THEME TIDDIES

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
back to tism chat

shuro's got a lot of nerve being mad at the brother of the girl he's crushing whose not actively (not on purpose anyway) c blocking him

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Thanks very much.

I would say, belatedly, the later parts of this thread do contain spoilers for later on in the series so be wary.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Alan Smithee posted:

back to tism chat

shuro's got a lot of nerve being mad at the brother of the girl he's crushing whose not actively (not on purpose anyway) c blocking him

On that note, there is loving zero possibility that he could ever build a functional marriage with Falin lmao. If he can't put up with Laios infodumping, what the gently caress's he going to do when he comes home from an exhausting day of courtly bullshit or w/e and Falin starts doing it? They would be divorced as hell within a year, tops. But Shuro's too enamored of his autistic pixie dream girl to realize that she and her brother are very much alike, so he stubbornly hopes that maybe he can make it work. smh Shuro just propose to your ninja if you want to piss your family off

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 30, 2024

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Men love to ruin their lives for a girl that looked at a bug once

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Not just men tbh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd be hard pressed to say her life's ruined. She looked like she was having an amazing time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't know about this. This feels to me like it's reading a shallow and/or more negative connotation to Shuro's motivation or ascribing neurodivergence on Laios and Falin yet again. Shuro and Falin may go about it in different ways, but they both risked life and limb in the dungeon to find the woman they both love. Marcille broke the law in order to revive Falin. Shuro wants to get help from the law to put down chimera Falin and grant her soul rest. They're different, but understandable approaches.

And it's not like Shuro's problem was with Laios's infodumping, anyway. It's that Laios says some bizarre and unreasonable poo poo in such a happy-go-lucky manner that you would think he's being intentionally flippant about it. Even Kabru was like, 'wow, so you ate the dragon that ate your sister?' And the other part is how Laios just says or acts however he wants, unaware if he's overstepping some social boundary or not, which Shuro admits is a trait he envies.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think anything we've seen of Falin lends itself to the idea that she's prone to getting up in someone's grill for 5 hours like Laios is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think Shuro really envies Laios for dismissing social customs, I think the envy extends as far as Laios being direct about what he wants. A small distinction but there is a difference. Laios would have to be aware of social customs first in order to be flippant about them, whereas I think it's pretty clear he acts from a point of ignorance rather than willfully dismissing other people's norms.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

amigolupus posted:

I don't know about this. This feels to me like it's reading a shallow and/or more negative connotation to Shuro's motivation or ascribing neurodivergence on Laios and Falin yet again

"Ascribing"? Have you seen Laios?

But sure, people do run away with it a bit and yeah I agree there's some misprojection on Shuro. Homies got to punch each other so it's all chill though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
shuro's a completely fine dude, i dont think he thinks falin is his manic pixie dream girl. he just likes her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
And who wouldn't, honestly? Everyone likes Falin!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Falin also has a way of expressing her interests that is a lot more compelling to people, beyond just "cute girl". She pulled Marcille as a friend and Shuro as a romantic prospect because she shows her obsessions as things of beauty whereas Laios just infodumps at every opportunity. STEM boy vs Art girl. It also comes through in how Falin deals with ghosts; she is clearly a very emotional and caring person, just kind of a space cadet. She is the opposite of Laios in that regard, she looks at ghosts and asks what *they* want.

The setting is also part of the equation. Laios is the leader of the group and gets visibly distracted, allowing his interests to run wild at the worst moments sometime, which could actually get Shuro killed. Falin is a backliner so she is less likely to screw everything up because she was thinking about bugs. And she has a sharp enough mind to, yknow, save the entire party during the first fight with the red dragon.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 30, 2024

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

amigolupus posted:

Something I appreciate from this episode is that while you can think of chimera Falin as endgame boss material, it doesn't do the thing other anime do where the enemy is invincible. Daya and Kuro did a bit of damage with their attacks, Holm's familiar, Marillier, punched through her wings a few times, Kabru's attack would be fatal on a regular person, Laios stabbed between the vulnerable part between your toes, and Rin's lightning magic seriously hosed her up. The damage added up and that's what drove her off. It's just refreshing to have everyone's efforts pay off and they didn't have to be bailed out by more traditional shonen trappings, like some mysterious stranger saving them or one person getting an inexplicable power boost.

Hell, if Kabru had gone for the spine, base of the brain, or major neck artery the fight might have been over right then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Unless Falin has a second brain, like some chimera apparently do.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Synthbuttrange posted:

ed: good lord theres a Falin cosplayer now doing her from the latest ep.

This one?
https://madderruz.tumblr.com/tagged/chimera%20cosplay

I also appreciated this extremely accurate Falin cosplay, they really paid a lot of attention to the fine details:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Unless Falin has a second brain, like some chimera apparently do.

At least taking out the Falin-brain would probably disable its spellcasting ability, so no familiar-countering or AoE stone spikes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Could've just slit her throat harder if he wanted to take out her upper brain and voice.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

And all her major sensory organs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

On that note, there is loving zero possibility that he could ever build a functional marriage with Falin lmao. If he can't put up with Laios infodumping, what the gently caress's he going to do when he comes home from an exhausting day of courtly bullshit or w/e and Falin starts doing it? They would be divorced as hell within a year, tops. But Shuro's too enamored of his autistic pixie dream girl to realize that she and her brother are very much alike, so he stubbornly hopes that maybe he can make it work. smh Shuro just propose to your ninja if you want to piss your family off

i'm not so sure "infodumping" is what shuro dislikes about laios? shuro seemed to be much more concerned with laios ignorantly inserting himself into situations inappropriately/forcing himself on shuro when shuro really doesn't want to deal with him. the examples we have are:
-laios third wheeling himself on what shuro clearly saw as a date between himself and falin
-laios badgering him with questions about other countries and making shuro go through the mental effort of articulating and explaining these concepts at length, in what is maybe a second language for him?
-laois insisting that him and shuro are friends when shuro has been trying to signal that he really doesn't like being around laois

and compounding this is that laios was clearly being genuine and ignorant instead of intentionally malicious, meaning shuro wouldn't have any way to tell laios off more directly without coming off as a jerk. he probably felt pretty trapped as he didn't see a socially acceptable way to be more direct with laios, when laios being more intentionally rude may have given him what he saw as an opening to voice his feelings more.

it seems to me like shuro probably was only mildly annoyed by laios initially, but laios constantly forcing interactions on shuro made what would be small problems balloon due to constant exposure.

rewatching their argument i don't think there's actually any trace of shuro having an issue with laios having a hyperfixation on monsters, the only mention of the topic was when shuro was describing how he hates laios' attitude at the start of the episode.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 30, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Laois is the 12 year old that talks loudly about dinosaurs at a funeral.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Falin has what we in the business call, "funny girl autism"
(the autism business)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shuro is a case where Laios' foibles would be infinitely more tolerable if he'd had three squares and eight hours. As it is, what is normally just him being kinda obnoxiously obliviously excitable is now fingers on a chalkboard when dude's already near a stress-induced breakdown and is just so loving done with this poo poo.

e: like here he is doing the cool samurai poo poo and working himself to the bone worrying himself sick, and here's Falin's brother who somehow beat you down here looking fresh as a daisy and being all cheerful and excited about all this hosed-up nonsense. That's a mindset where positivity isn't infectious, it's toxic

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

and compounding this is that laios was clearly being genuine and ignorant instead of intentionally malicious, meaning shuro wouldn't have any way to tell laios off more directly without coming off as a jerk.

Well Shuro doesn't have to worry about that anymore because he came off as a jerk anyways when it finally all came out. A sympathetic jerk but still.

It's why I don't hate him but I'm not gonna throw it all on Laios either. Laios didn't deserve that because of Shuro's own communication issues.

At least they punched it out of their systems. I kinda wish that Senshi had come up during the fight to try and defuse things with food, but him and Maizuru warching their surrogate sons with bemusement and disappointment was amusing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you gotta separate out whether laios and shuro are deliberately or unknowingly ignoring social cues

laios: didn't recognize shuro's indirect cues because he isn't built that way

shuro: wasn't direct with how he disliked laios because his social upbringing taught him to be indirect about it

shuro: didn't tell falin how he felt earlier because of personal hangups

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy with a lot of the Laios and Shuro discussion I've seen online because, yknow, they're friends. They're really good friends, and they respect each other. Shuro is pissed because Laios just told him that he resurrected Shuro's love interest with Go Right To Execution Black Magic, but it's clear in all their interactions that they are close. Hell, in the previous episode we see Shuro running himself completely ragged with all of his retainers begging him just to stop and eat, and one word from Laios breaks through it. They fight and then sit down and talk afterwards. Shuro gives him something that could be considered abetting a fugitive, and imo it's pretty clear that he would help them even if they couldn't get Falin out.

Yeah they vented a lot of poo poo but surely we have had relationships where it's "you drive me absolutely batshit 90% of the time but the other 10% makes up for it".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy with a lot of the Laios and Shuro discussion I've seen online because, yknow, they're friends. They're really good friends, and they respect each other. Shuro is pissed because Laios just told him that he resurrected Shuro's love interest with Go Right To Execution Black Magic, but it's clear in all their interactions that they are close. Hell, in the previous episode we see Shuro running himself completely ragged with all of his retainers begging him just to stop and eat, and one word from Laios breaks through it. They fight and then sit down and talk afterwards. Shuro gives him something that could be considered abetting a fugitive, and imo it's pretty clear that he would help them even if they couldn't get Falin out.

Yeah they vented a lot of poo poo but surely we have had relationships where it's "you drive me absolutely batshit 90% of the time but the other 10% makes up for it".

Yeah, it's funny how the fans are acting like they're still mortal enemies, trying to figure out who's in the right, when the conflict between them is already resolved in the actual show. They both made mistakes and hurt each other, but they finally got their feelings out and moved forward, there's no fundamental conflict there.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
but Shuro made more mistakes because he left without even having a harpy egg omelette

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Giving him a bell if all goes to hell and promises to commit retainers and resources to an extraction isn't something I'd do for someone I don't like, yeah.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Thanks very much.

I would say, belatedly, the later parts of this thread do contain spoilers for later on in the series so be wary.

Oh, it looks like it got expanded from when I initially posted it, I edited in a warning.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it's funny how the fans are acting like they're still mortal enemies, trying to figure out who's in the right, when the conflict between them is already resolved in the actual show. They both made mistakes and hurt each other, but they finally got their feelings out and moved forward, there's no fundamental conflict there.

Conflict adverse nerds not understanding the purifying beauty of mutual assault between friends.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People say friends don't destroy one another
What do they know about friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can't have enemies-to-lovers if you aren't enemies, so they can't possibly be friends. That's logic.