Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

steinrokkan posted:

Tbf freedom of speech doesn't mean "a right to be followed by this one guy specifically"

(assuming you are reacting to my post) I agree but anyone claiming to be a "free speech absolutist" shouldn't be upset when someone posts things they don't like. I am also assuming the people he's unfollowing aren't the ones leaking the info, but if they are then one might understand him being angry at them about them leaking privileged info, sure. I figure they're just reposting what is already out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

redshirt posted:

Feynman is the cool sexpest who plays bongos and picks locks.

Also builds nuclear bombs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

priznat posted:

Also builds nuclear bombs

Contributes to the effort

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Is it demons??

Nah, his views on ghost demon are super out of date now. Particularly after all the new data we got back from James Webb.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Presto posted:

Pratchett wrote whole books about people being able to express their true gender.

Thinking of Cheery and shedding a tear-y

:unsmith:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Nah, his views on ghost demon are super out of date now. Particularly after all the new data we got back from James Webb.

Demons are so hot now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Zero VGS posted:

I think they're talking about domestic in the context of the US.
No I meant that even if they had a vehicle that was competitive with BYD (which they don't) then it'd be a short-lived victory since domestic competitors would be heavily favored by the Chinese government.

JGdmn posted:

I thought the same thing a few years back but I always got Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins confused.
Dawkins also had a stroke, so that might be another reason.

ilmucche posted:

Isn't adoption of the NACS thing one of the major things tesla was looking at for making money?
Supposedly yes but it's kind of hard to tell if it was actually a good idea.

On one hand, having a proprietary charging standard that is WAY more adopted than everyone else's was a great way to undermine competing EVs and was a large part of why they were the only game in town to begin with. Is undermining their vehicle sales in exchange for more charger payments really a net positive?

On the other hand, the government was pushing CCS, so if they didn't standardize their connector then they might have gotten burned even harder in the long run.

At this point it doesn't even matter though since they need those chargers for their own cars, whether their competitors are on it or not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tesla probably doesn't make any money off its supercharger network. They have never clearly said what profit it brings in, and Elon very tellingly said they don't intend it to be a profit center. The pace of its expansion and the level of maintenance they give means they're probably spending an absurd amount of money. NACS and the automaker access to the supercharger network doesn't help them much and it makes demands on the network worse.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol NACS adoption is going to cause EV nerd on EV nerd violence across the supercharger network

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

ilmucche posted:

4 hour video on efficiency and speed in beating a 20 year old video game in under 24 minutes

you forgot the link

thanks in advance

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

neon green cybertruck = monster energy of cars

Any color on a cybertrumk looks better than that lovely stainless steel imo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
even iron oxide rust?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

PhazonLink posted:

even iron oxide rust?

Yes, honestly

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla probably doesn't make any money off its supercharger network. They have never clearly said what profit it brings in, and Elon very tellingly said they don't intend it to be a profit center. The pace of its expansion and the level of maintenance they give means they're probably spending an absurd amount of money. NACS and the automaker access to the supercharger network doesn't help them much and it makes demands on the network worse.

They would eventually though, right? I mean, they basically have a jump start on owning the new gas station. I figured that was the entire reason they got everyone on their network.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Musk mailed everyone a free razor but then decided to stop selling replacement blades

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

They would eventually though, right? I mean, they basically have a jump start on owning the new gas station. I figured that was the entire reason they got everyone on their network.

It’s an extremely, extremely costly-to-maintain gas station built out of exotic components that isn’t attached to a liquor store.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s an extremely, extremely costly-to-maintain gas station built out of exotic components that isn’t attached to a liquor store.

Have you forgot about the super charger drive in diner?!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Kind of, but standardizing it also means anyone else can build them too.

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're almost exclusively built into existing parking lots at least, but not sure who pays in that arrangement.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What's the difference between a super charger and a normal charger? Or is it just a marketing thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

either way I hardly know’er

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's just a normal DC fast charger but tesla branded it as a special thing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

What's the difference between a super charger and a normal charger? Or is it just a marketing thing

I assume the supercharger increases the risk of an unquenchable Tesla-fire, but that's probably true of a lot of things.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You would never guess, but Elon has lovely opinions about the student protests

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah he's a man who looks like he has extremely soft hands who will speak about an old CRT for an hour

His hands are soft thanks to the magic of having two of them.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

you won't care

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
EDIT: wrong thread

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 1, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

even iron oxide rust?

Someone should paint a CYBERTRUCK in classic barn red with white accents.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Full Mars self sufficiency by 2030

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Last time I was in Vegas, the normal chargers were free but either broken, occupied, or if available would take 8-12 hours to charge the car. The super chargers all worked and had plenty of availability but was costing something like $35 to charge it from 30% to 100%. But I guess the cost doesn't matter if it's literally the only choice you have to charge the car

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

wow I actually didn't realize it was that much lol

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Superchargers are the Tesla version of DCFC (direct current fast charging) which can supply power up to 250kW (or more in some cases). This a huge amount of power draw and need a special utility connection to set up. This will fully charge almost every EV on the market in around 30 minutes or less.

Regular chargers use AC power and can be hooked up on any normal residential or small commercial panel. These supply around 10kW and will fully charge an EV in about 8 hours.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I mean, the cheapest minivan on the market starts at 33k. The others start at 37, 38, 39. Many spec out to 45-50k easily.

Also :lol: the most expensive base and probably highest trim minivan is one of Chrysler's only two vehicles.

eVs should be cheaper. They don’t have engines

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't worry, you'll reap the savings by paying for electricity instead of dino juice. The cost is sure to decrease by leaps and bounds what with the dismantling of nuclear power programs worldwide, a rising world temperature, increasing populations, growing ev adoption, buttcoin farms, and every company under the sun buying hundreds of millions of dollars of computer equipment to run llm stuff

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

WhyteRyce posted:

Last time I was in Vegas, the normal chargers were free but either broken, occupied, or if available would take 8-12 hours to charge the car. The super chargers all worked and had plenty of availability but was costing something like $35 to charge it from 30% to 100%. But I guess the cost doesn't matter if it's literally the only choice you have to charge the car

You should rarely, if ever be using a fast charger, I've owned EVs for almost 7 years and used them like 3 times and all of those times were my BMW i3 driving it across down for no particularly good reason..

People that complain about EV charging are the same people that run their cars to almost empty all the time or somehow, explicably to me, manage to run out of gas on occasion.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGarbwsFvII

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
If Elon wasn't filthy rich he would probably be an incel, right?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

John Yossarian posted:

If Elon wasn't filthy rich he would probably be an incel, right?

he's already an incel. anyone who talks about "breeding" is an incel.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Three Olives posted:

You should rarely, if ever be using a fast charger, I've owned EVs for almost 7 years and used them like 3 times and all of those times were my BMW i3 driving it across down for no particularly good reason..

People that complain about EV charging are the same people that run their cars to almost empty all the time or somehow, explicably to me, manage to run out of gas on occasion.

lol i bet this nerd keeps their phone battery at 70-80 at max, or at min 20-30.

(i do too)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Three Olives posted:

We were on vacation, our hotels regular chargers were all full, and the ones across the street were full. So went to another lot a mile away which had more broken slow chargers and open fast chargers

What in this situation should be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

this whole thing has been illuminating as far as how fast stainless steel can rust