Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

MLB article posted:

Unfortunately for Trout and the Angels, injuries have become a recurring theme in recent years. Trout played in just 82 games last year due to a fractured wrist and 36 games in 2021 due to a right calf strain. He cleared 100 games played in 2022 but has not played in 130 or more games since 2019.

Correlation is causation. Bad vibes killed the Angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I mean, I don't hate Jose Abreu as a guy, I just don't want him getting any ABs. It was the same with Maldy last season. I think he's an okay dude and even pretty cool in the clubhouse it seems, just please stop wasting ABs on him.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Free Mike Trout from the oppressive, cruel medical doctors of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

I BLAME RENDON

:same:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A giant cloud of weed smoke spelling jon singleton 2024

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Remember how Anaheim wouldn't spend the money to get Pujols a treadmill that was better for his legs and feet?

I think about that a lot.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/paige_leckie/status/1785480018987975072?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins successfully win the Battle of poo poo Teams

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's a new one

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/1785487247170830778

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly, I think that happens like once a year. I don't recall where it was but pretty recently there was one when like a beekeeper happened to be at the game and they got him to do whatever you do to fix that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

No it's not
https://www.mlb.com/news/bees-delay-series-finale-padres-vs-marlins

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
It happened last season too: https://www.mlb.com/video/bees-take-over-the-outfield?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That has to sting if you're a fan sitting through the delay.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
hasn't been this much buzz at Chase Field since the Astros were in town

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

hasn't been this much buzz at Chase Field since the Astros were in town

:thurman:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

n: https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1785478976393158766

v: scoreboard

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WE ARE SO BACK

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

*heart palpitating* goms

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

He didn't, and he has five+ years of service time anyway. This was voluntarily him accepting the assignment rather than a normal option.

For whatever it's worth the Astros waited until he had ten years of service time to do this, so if it's the end he gets all of his benefits and all that.

drat, the Astros are such a classy franchise. Proud to be a fan

Also: I wish Singleton hit dongs more often because his bat flip game is off the charts

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1785480943882379492

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

First win in extras since June 2023, first win in a one run game this season

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if dansby remembered how to throw a baseball and adbert stopped giving up monster ding dongers

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

drat, the Astros are such a classy franchise. Proud to be a fan

Also: I wish Singleton hit dongs more often because his bat flip game is off the charts

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1785480943882379492

I'm actually really appreciative that Abreu did that - I don't think Singleton deserved to be DFA'd.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I feel like Ty Cobb would play during a bee infestation at home plate. I think even the 1960s players would do it because they were super drunk.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Manoah was great in Buffalo so the Jays will ignore the other starts and he'll pitch Sunday!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

I feel like Ty Cobb would play during a bee infestation at home plate. I think even the 1960s players would do it because they were super drunk.

Rube Waddell would spend the whole game looking for honey

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I wonder if Braves players will switch phone carriers because if they see the T-Mobile logo they have Nam flashbacks

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GOMS
O
M
S

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Abreu situation was handled as well as it could've been. I know Dana Brown said he expected this to be temporary, but deep down it seems like everyone knows he's being sent to a farm (team) upstate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He's being sent to rookie ball, is that... normal? that seems rough

granted a minor league assignment for a player like abreu isn't normal to begin with

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

He's being sent to rookie ball, is that... normal? that seems rough

granted a minor league assignment for a player like abreu isn't normal to begin with
No, none of that is typical

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

assuming I'm understanding correctly, he's in rookie ball as a "send him to extended spring training thing so he doesn't have to do the minor league grind on buses and poo poo" more than it is anything else

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Rookie ball doesn't even start playing games until like late June. He'll be working with instructors and staying in shape and poo poo but mostly it's just getting him off the roster but keeping him around so they can let him try again in a month or two/be ready if there are injuries.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, credit to the Astros for keeping him on the MLB roster until he hit 10 years service time. A nice thing to do, and something that other teams haven't done when players have been real close to that mark. I remember it was specifically a point about Mike Magnante in Moneyball that he was released like a week shy of 10 years by Billy Beane. Magnante never pitched in MLB again, and retired without fully vesting.

If this is the end for Abreu he's someone who might have been a borderline hall of fame candidate had he been able to play in the majors from the start, he had a 1.376 OPS in Cuba in his age 22 season, add 5 more seasons like his rookie year to his career totals and he's right near 60 WAR with over 400 HR. A definite member of the Garden of Very GoodTM.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure Magnante (who was literally like a week short of 10 years' service time) was somehow given his full pension anyway. Not sure of the details on that though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thinking about Aaron Judge on the second year of his nine-year contract and looking like a very old 32 year old right now.

It's a weird sport that your best years will probably come while still under team control, and you just have to hope someone's willing to pay you a shitload to watch you decline.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Bee Guy is the hero we need.

https://x.com/SportsNetLA/status/1785515018878079261

Also, the Japanese media requested an interview scrum with him.

https://x.com/BNightengale/status/1785515603421499861

The best thing about it all? He got called away from his son's T-Ball game to do this job. Which means he gets to be a hero to his ball playing son forever.

Side Note - I've lived with two beehives in the backyard for a while. People in America seem to think Italian Honeybees are some kind of psychotic killers, when in reality you could probably smack their hive while naked and walk away just fine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How long until bee guy gets milkshake ducked

Captain Log posted:

Side Note - I've lived with two beehives in the backyard for a while. People in America seem to think Italian Honeybees are some kind of psychotic killers, when in reality you could probably smack their hive while naked and walk away just fine.

I've been stung enough times in my life I'm not loving with em

Still prefer them to the ground hornet that terrorized me when I accidentally ran over its nest with a mower though

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Captain Log posted:

Bee Guy is the hero we need.

https://x.com/SportsNetLA/status/1785515018878079261

Also, the Japanese media requested an interview scrum with him.

https://x.com/BNightengale/status/1785515603421499861

The best thing about it all? He got called away from his son's T-Ball game to do this job. Which means he gets to be a hero to his ball playing son forever.

Swarming bees are unlikely to attack because they only swarm when they don't have a hive, and all their protection instincts are about perceived threats to the hive. But having a swarm on the netting during an MLB game would almost certainly disrupt the bees, so it's as much for their benefit as for the players/fans that they get collected.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

How long until bee guy gets milkshake ducked

He's gonna get cucked by a Jerry Seinfeld bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Thinking about Aaron Judge on the second year of his nine-year contract and looking like a very old 32 year old right now.

It's a weird sport that your best years will probably come while still under team control, and you just have to hope someone's willing to pay you a shitload to watch you decline.

I mean, they had to sign him after he set the record* and it happened to be the offseason where a bunch of 30 year olds were signing 100 year contracts, so I get it. I can only hope it cripples their ability to construct rosters for a decade.

Bregman is currently doing us a solid by playing like absolute dogshit in his walk year so we either don't feel bad when he leaves or we get a good team friendly contract.